Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

The Colonel posted:

persona 5 was undermined by the director's view that all women should be "cute" leading to one of the worst character redesigns in video game history

What character was changed?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

I got that wallet sized tetris machine. It loving owns. I hope they make a version 2 with pausing and swap piece but as it is now its perfect for a little tspin practice whenever.

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

Snooze Cruise posted:

hmm this doesn't seem like a good video game

I saw the head line and turned away. I love the original because the puzzles were so good, and the storyline was very different than most games I’ve played. I pre ordered the new version. I’m bummed they did something regressive, but that doesn’t keep me from buying it.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

design on the right is the original one, got changed because hashino said it wasn't cute enough

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

The Colonel posted:

design on the right is the original one, got changed because hashino said it wasn't cute enough

Ah, so Hashino is additionally a person of poor taste.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I still will always love the setting and general premise of Persona 4; a JRPG set in a modern, small-time countryside town where the villain isn't a world-ending threat (at first) but rather just catching a serial killer is too novel of an idea for me to ever fully abandon. Its myriad of social problems have aged worse and worse as the years have gone on however, where at best I can say it's committed to remaining a cultural status quo and dressing it up as being faux-progressive. But god drat it was it fun to run around that town.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
Wtf the org design is much cuter what a weirdo.

CubeTheory
Mar 26, 2010

Cube Reversal
I actually like both designs, but I think that is a really dumb reason to change it.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
the new design would be fine as like, a separate character, but the original design just. has a lot more personality to it

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

how can you get cuter/cooler than a backwards baseball cap

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

Nate RFB posted:

I still will always love the setting and general premise of Persona 4; a JRPG set in a modern, small-time countryside town where the villain isn't a world-ending threat (at first) but rather just catching a serial killer is too novel of an idea for me to ever fully abandon. Its myriad of social problems have aged worse and worse as the years have gone on however, where at best I can say it's committed to remaining a cultural status quo and dressing it up as being faux-progressive. But god drat it was it fun to run around that town.

So what you're saying is that we need a Diamond Is Unbreakable jRPG

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
I really wish there was something good to fill that Persona niche of urban fantasy with a focus of also balancing your normal life type stuff.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Accordion Man posted:

I really wish there was something good to fill that Persona niche of urban fantasy with a focus of also balancing your normal life type stuff.

Yakuza

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

The Colonel posted:

one of them looks like samus

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Accordion Man posted:

i've heard tokyo xanadu is janky gameplay-wise and absolutely doesn't match up presentation-wise but has pretty cool writing if you're okay with that

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Samuringa posted:

I mean yes but that was true whether there ever was a P4 or not.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
Yakuza can be magical realist at times (Like cursed videotape ghosts being real), but I really wouldn't call it outright urban fantasy. Also you're not really managing Kiryu, Majima, or any of the other protags' lives.

Accordion Man fucked around with this message at 21:51 on Feb 16, 2019

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
tfw capcom made a decent part 3 and part 5 game but no part 4 one

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Kiryu is magic

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Samuringa posted:

yeah it'd be really nice if we could get a game that does the premise justice. still can't believe chie becomes a cop

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Yosuke is also incredibly, deeply closeted and I'm not sure how much of that was intended but it's implied that he hooks up with Teddie at the end so good for him.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Looper posted:

yeah it'd be really nice if we could get a game that does the premise justice. still can't believe chie becomes a cop

Chie was always a cop

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

Accordion Man posted:

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Pharohman777 posted:

... Isnt that totally misrepresenting Naotos storyline in persona 4? Didn't she have to take up presenting as a guy due to the mysoginy in the line of work she wanted, but she still wanted to be feminine and not hide her true self?

If you date naoto you basically get to choose how she dresses at some point

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
me: i hate cops. i do not respect persona's respect for cops

me: when's astral chain coming out

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gHpF40h7bMA

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Jay Rust posted:

What was the first AAA game to feature titties, anime or polygonal? Earliest I remember was God of War 1

e: bare, ofc

Depending on your definition of AAA, probably Elder Scrolls Arena.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Why the gently caress are the facial animations in Anthem so bad

Everyone smirks even when they're talking about gravely serious stuff

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
Fun fact: Michael Bell voiced Guts in the English dub of that game so Guts, Raziel from Legacy of Kain, and Drew Pickles from Rugrats all have the same VA.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Andrast posted:

Chie was always a cop

:negative:

The Colonel posted:

me: i hate cops. i do not respect persona's respect for cops

me: when's astral chain coming out

hey there's a non-zero chance you get to beat up cops

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Internet Kraken posted:

Why the gently caress are the facial animations in Anthem so bad

Everyone smirks even when they're talking about gravely serious stuff

bioware was selected to make anthem based on their incredible skills at animating miranda's facial rig

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
it's important to remember that japanese cops aren't like american cops at all, they're actually upstanding citizens with solid training and exemplary self control.

but because of the hosed up legal system in japan you still shouldn't talk to them

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Accordion Man posted:

Fun fact: Michael Bell voiced Guts in the English dub of that game so Guts, Raziel from Legacy of Kain, and Drew Pickles from Rugrats all have the same VA.

Cool, Soul Reaver series probably has the best voice acting ever

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

:rip: Tony Jay.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U3NoDEu7kpg

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I do legitimately think the formula the Persona games have come up with is extremely solid. Persona 5, a game I was largely disappointed with for most of my run, still left me feeling restless when I finished because I loved running around that city. I still want a game in that style with that setup, where you have clean breaks between the life simulation parts and the gameplay and have the two feed into each other. Just, you know, it also needs to be married to a story and cast that can carry it to the finish line without tripping over itself constantly.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

The Colonel posted:

Well luckily she's the worst and most boring confidant with the worst perks, and it doens't help that they pair her with the far more interesting Lala who you CAN'T have a social link with. So no huge loss

Looper posted:

There's a streamer I watch who is very much of the "gently caress cops" mindset. Imagine his surprised when the girl he picked, Makoto, told him what she wanted to do with her life near the end of her social link :v:

Macaluso fucked around with this message at 22:05 on Feb 16, 2019

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4DOKzTHaPfM

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Looper posted:

hey there's a non-zero chance you get to beat up cops

Most likely yeah, and probably also techno wizards, so win-win.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Do you think they'll ever do a Persona with adults or are we stuck in Japanese high school forever

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

It's pretty much guaranteed a P6 will exist so maybe