Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Let me tell you about a battle Royale I've been playing called https://surviv.io

It's fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

harry potter was also like, the most popular thing in the world for a while, so it's not like the appeal of school setting + fantasy is unique to anime/manga

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Harry is anime

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Oxxidation posted:

apex legends is very boring and I acquit myself of it at once

movement and gun feedback are great but this battle royale poo poo is worse than baseball

ages of nothing in hopes that something will happen

take command of your team's fate when you get JM and launch immediately at as near perpendicular as possible, pick up guns, run towards the shooting, survive or die in the first minutes

(I get it if you don't like BR, just suggesting this because it improved my own fun a lot--if only because it shuts down the tedious loot and wait cycle you refer to)

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Tetris 99 literally seems like the best Battle Royale yet and the only one I'm interested in

The only thing that would be more fun is a wrestling game doing a 99 man Royal Rumble thing or something

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

Real hurthling! posted:

Harry is anime

you're a anime 'arry

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

A novelization of an anime ceases to be an anime

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

DLC Inc posted:

Tetris 99 literally seems like the best Battle Royale yet and the only one I'm interested in

The only thing that would be more fun is a wrestling game doing a 99 man Royal Rumble thing or something

The targeting feature seems so minor but it actually is driving the experience for me, it owns to see those KOs pop up especially if they were folks that were trying to kill you

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

I have no good sense of how to play tetris past getting one or two liners at a time so my sides get out of control and uneven

Then come the attacks and I'm 80/99 or some poo poo

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Jay Rust posted:

A novelization of an anime ceases to be an anime

nope

still an anime

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

whats a “light novel” it’s kind of like a 50/50 split between a manga and a book right

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
I don't have a Switch but I love that something like Tetris 99 exists, it's such a far-out concept and they just dropped it out of nowhere and it works, the whole thing is amazing

It's like all those jokes people would make "100 ___ are dropped on an island" but taken seriously

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Cowcaster posted:

whats a “light novel” it’s kind of like a 50/50 split between a manga and a book right

afaik a light novel is just what japan calls their drugstore paperbacks

while these are often about hard-boiled detectives or cowboys in american drugstores, in japan, naturally, they are all about animes

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

hmm i see

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

The White Dragon posted:

nope

still an anime

I thought anime was a medium, not a genre

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Cowcaster posted:

It's basically the equivalent of "young adult" novels, so to speak. Occasionally they'll have an artist draw a few pictures for it, but that's it. Though a lot of the genre has been codified towards anime/manga/video game tropes.

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!
What was the first "Whoa we're just normal people but now we're in a fantasy setting!" piece of media y'all consumed?

My first was Lion, Witch and the Wardrobe. It had talking beavers in it.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

i’m sure it was some 80’s bullshit toy commercial for me though i can’t think of a specific one.

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!

Cowcaster posted:

i’m sure it was some 80’s bullshit toy commercial for me though i can’t think of a specific one.

poo poo that's right, but for like the 90's so Mighty Max might have actually been my first one.

MIGHTY MAX

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

lmao it was polly pocket but for boys i remember that

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

MMF Freeway posted:

you're a anime 'arry

Oim a what??

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

maybe little nemo videogame/movie? that was still 90’s though

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

Viewtiful Jew posted:

What was the first "Whoa we're just normal people but now we're in a fantasy setting!" piece of media y'all consumed?

My first was Lion, Witch and the Wardrobe. It had talking beavers in it.

The motion picture Spice World

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

would beetlejuice count actually

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
Captain N you heathens.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Mighty Max seems like a game idea someone should've used by now. Captain Toad is about the closest you come to a self contained playable diorama .

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

light novels are specifically called 'light novels' because they're mostly dialogue with prose not really going on that long, so they're very breezy reads. they also, yeah, trend to trend young adult for that reason, though there's plenty that are aimed at older audiences. they usually have some illustrations for key scenes but not a ton, and they're usually released in volumes of 100-200 pages, with most 'active' ones releasing 2-4 volumes a year. They also tend to be more serialized, with distinct arcs, and in some cases are just straight up episodic in nature.

So they differ in some key ways from western YA novels but they're broadly similar.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

Captain N you heathens.

I am not an old.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

Captain N you heathens.

there we go

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Internet Kraken posted:

Oh my god the ending to Anthem is the most anticlimactic thing ever

I'd guess that's because it's a story left deliberately incomplete because there's more coming in March.

Chev
Jul 19, 2010
Switchblade Switcharoo

Viewtiful Jew posted:

Quite possibly the Dungeons & Dragons cartoon.

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames
Apex Legends and FFXIV are both very good games

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

That cartoon where a football team becomes the knights of the round table

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XbG8d7CM0IQ
Oh I remember this fan joke.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

That cartoon where a football team becomes the knights of the round table

i think they got a snes game out of that

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!

Cowcaster posted:

i think they got a snes game out of that

There's that EA game turned into a cartoon where a football franchise gets mutated and players regularly get limbs dismembered but because they're mutants they can grow them back and it was okay to show on TV I guess, I remember I think?

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Viewtiful Jew posted:

There's that EA game turned into a cartoon where a football franchise gets mutated and players regularly get limbs dismembered but because they're mutants they can grow them back and it was okay to show on TV I guess, I remember I think?
Mutant League Football.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

i know that mutant league football is pretty fondly remembered but it getting a saturday morning cartoon is news to me

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

I remember that cartoon because it came on early weekday mornings so I would watch a few minutes of it before school.

Either that or WMAC Masters

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!

Accordion Man posted:

Mutant League Football.

poo poo yeah, that was it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lEmSMvdMH4M