Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Viewtiful Jew posted:

What was the first "Whoa we're just normal people but now we're in a fantasy setting!" piece of media y'all consumed?

My first was Lion, Witch and the Wardrobe. It had talking beavers in it.

Narnia for me too. My mom read it to me when I was 4 or so, which looking back is kinda strange since we're not Christians.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

i distinctly remember a cartoon block in which there was “wishkid” macauly culkin(?) played a kid who had a magic baseball glove he could punch three times while saying wishkid to make a wish come true which i believe was the early 90’s precursor of the fairly oddparents followed by a cartoon where michael jordan, bo jackson, and wayne gretzky all donned 80’s power armor to fight crime

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

aslan is Jesus

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
I wanna say the first one for me was A Wrinkle In Time

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Cowcaster posted:

i distinctly remember a cartoon block in which there was “wishkid” macauly culkin(?) played a kid who had a magic baseball glove he could punch three times while saying wishkid to make a wish come true which i believe was the early 90’s precursor of the fairly oddparents followed by a cartoon where michael jordan, bo jackson, and wayne gretzky all donned 80’s power armor to fight crime

not that anyone cares but i just googed it and the first one is absolutely real and had macauly culkin and the latter was called “pro-stars” loving nailed it

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
The cartoon I'm trying to remember is I remember there was some early 2000s thing that I think might've been a web cartoon or might've just been some comic that was advertised online, idk, and it was about a group of really tiny heroes who lived and got around through sink drains and toilet drains and stuff like that. I wanna say that the main character's design reminded me a little bit of Tom from toonami but I really don't remember anything about this or if it was ever anything other than a quick flash cartoon online advertising something that never came into existence.

Basically it's a memory of a thing that nobody will ever know about and will have been lost to time probably.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

If you believe the series ended after the second game, Monkey Island is totally two kids daydreaming on Pirates of the Caribbean.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Personally I might be done with the “Actually there’s a secret, complex world of vampires/witches/werewolves/robots happening right underneath your noses” trope

Tendales
Mar 9, 2012
I'm an Old, so I super can't remember my first anything. But every now and then I do have scraps of memory of reading a book as a kid, where the premise was that some kids had found their way to a fantasy world, but the actual was set after they had returned home and moved on to their adult lives. The only other thing I can remember is the one person that wanted to go back, or was able to go back, or whatever, had to go into the woods and find some kind of secret path behind a particular bush or something.

I don't even know if this was real, or if I'm remembering something entirely wrong, or if I just dreamed the whole thing, but it's one of those weird little memories that's been prodding me off and on for like 30 years.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

FirstAidKite posted:

The cartoon I'm trying to remember is I remember there was some early 2000s thing that I think might've been a web cartoon or might've just been some comic that was advertised online, idk, and it was about a group of really tiny heroes who lived and got around through sink drains and toilet drains and stuff like that. I wanna say that the main character's design reminded me a little bit of Tom from toonami but I really don't remember anything about this or if it was ever anything other than a quick flash cartoon online advertising something that never came into existence.

Basically it's a memory of a thing that nobody will ever know about and will have been lost to time probably.

Action League Now?

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Jay Rust posted:

Personally I might be done with the “Actually there’s a secret, complex world of vampires/witches/werewolves/robots happening right underneath your noses” trope

Does that count spirit worlds like Yu Yu Hakusho? Cause I love that poo poo.

When it comes to weird supernatural stuff I like it more when it's an allegory for human failure. I can't remember the name now but I remember a vampire movie about some loser who is a vampire but the joke is vampires aren't sexy, magical, or even have fangs so he has to drug women and use a razor to suck their blood.

e: Martin! It was even a Romero film.

al-azad fucked around with this message at 01:51 on Feb 17, 2019

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

hold on...jayrust is dracula backwards!

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

I also love it when your introductory vampire explaining all this stuff to the protagonist says stuff like “Lol no crosses don’t do poo poo, that’s just dumb folklore. However garlic does hurt, that one’s real”

al-azad
May 28, 2009

ugggh I wanna play some crazy action bullshit so I guess I'm trying out this Sleeping Dogs game?

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

it's good

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Jay Rust posted:

I also love it when your introductory vampire explaining all this stuff to the protagonist says stuff like “Lol no crosses don’t do poo poo, that’s just dumb folklore. However garlic does hurt, that one’s real”

This is aggrevating to me and I hate it. Just state what your stories supernatural parasite rules are and move on. none of them bother to note they cant detach their heads and spinal columns to fly around and attack people or turn into pools of mobile blood to dissolve the dead so dont highlight the other differences.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Viewtiful Jew posted:

What was the first "Whoa we're just normal people but now we're in a fantasy setting!" piece of media y'all consumed?

My first was Lion, Witch and the Wardrobe. It had talking beavers in it.

The Chronicles of Thomas Covenant

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Just kidding, it was this (or Narnia)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lq64MJKwElw

or maybe it was the Dungeons and Dragons cartoon

a kitten fucked around with this message at 02:14 on Feb 17, 2019

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Harrow posted:

I'd guess that's because it's a story left deliberately incomplete because there's more coming in March.

That has nothing to do with it. You complete the main conflict of the game. Its just resolved in an insanely unsatisfying manner.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

I mean, most literature? Like its a trope going back hundreds, and if youre willing to include mytho epics and religious stories, or thousands of years.

One of the most common story telling tropes is a hero taken from a mundane background and life thrust into the supernatural.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

a kitten posted:

The Chronicles of Thomas Covenant

:stonk:

PlushCow
Oct 19, 2005

The cow eats the grass

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

That cartoon where a football team becomes the knights of the round table

Hell yeah!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xY0U2pSRYeg

Had an SNES game too:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sEdP96V5yrw

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
How's everyone doing this evening? What is everyone up to?

I'm kind of annoyed that right after I got back into Overwatch, Activision/Blizzard did the whole lay offs in the face of record profits thing.

...Still playing it and man I love playing Moira but I think I'm done spending money on the game.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

chumbler posted:

You would think at some point there would be a game targeting the modern purposeless and disaffected 20s-30s adult market.

The difficulty would be figuring out how the party would even meet each other.

night in the woods

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

axelblaze posted:

I'm kind of annoyed that right after I got back into Overwatch, Activision/Blizzard did the whole lay offs in the face of record profits thing.

...Still playing it and man I love playing Moira but I think I'm done spending money on the game.

I started playing SMT4 again since I never finished it and it's reinforcing why I liked Apocalypse more, but I wanna finish it this time.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
Oh, also I'm glad they're adding Amy to Soul Caliber, especially because she looks really fun but man her and Raphael's backstory is just really icky and bad (though that's already in the game)

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

I’m going to buy a Switch!

What two games should I include if my TV is poo poo and I’ll just be using handheld mode?

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Jay Rust posted:

What two games should I include if my TV is poo poo and I’ll just be using handheld mode?

Breath of Mario Zelda Toad Odyssey Smash Kart 8

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

I played the yoshi demo and its not for me.

Im playing t99 now.

I'll play demon x machina demo and beat re2 leon a later.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

axelblaze posted:

Where's my loving Diablo 4. gently caress.

At least we get Grim Dawn: Forgotten Gods soon.

I'm going to do some far cry new dawn coop with a friend. Saw blades!

Otherwise debating if I should pick up civ 6s newest expac or not, I adore civ but...

6 left me cold, I'm souring on the tbs genre due to universally poo poo AI, and aow: planetfall comes out in a few months (yes I realize the contradiction between the second and third points :v:)

otoh, it may let me turn the planet into a storm wracked drowning hell hole, so that sounds kind of fun

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Jay Rust posted:

zelda and mario cause c'mon it's a nintendo system

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Is the super smash bros Switch Edition single player any good

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Jay Rust posted:

My top Switch games are; Disgaea 5, Lumines Remastered, Smash Bros. Ultimate, and Splatoon 2.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Jay Rust posted:

Yes, it owns a lot and contains 30+ hours of content.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Jay Rust posted:

yes, spirits and challenge mode are great

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer

Jay Rust posted:

I liked it well enough and I hated the single player in Brawl. The spirits are cool idea and they create unique and clever fights and the single player is pretty much nothing but those fights

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Jay Rust posted:

final fantasy 7 and final fantasy 9

DOUBLE CLICK HERE
Feb 5, 2005
WA3
Tetris and Into the Breach. Maybe Dead Cells

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Jay Rust posted:

bad:
-no break the targets
-no home run derby
-race to the finish sucks

good:
-classic mode has themed routes for every single character
-adventure mode is mega huge but is also mostly fights unlike brawl's also huge adventure mode
-there are for real more themed fights than you can shake a lip's stick at

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

axelblaze posted:

I'm still playing Iconoclasts and it still makes no loving sense.