Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Fancy_Breakfast posted:

I've heard some crazy stories about Hatzollah EMS and the things they get away with. They've definitely done some OSHA stuff.
I can't find it right now but I remember seeing a hatzollah ems SUV driving at high speeds erratically through the city with like 4 guys standing on the side steps of it hanging on for dear life trying to look all tacti-cool.
Probably responding to a non urgent call too. Wackers man.

I was behind on on the Tappan Zee Bridge transporting someone to Westchester medical and there was a Hatzollah ambulance that blew by me with lights and sirens doing at least 110- on the TZ, that’s madness. Even at normal speeds you’d be going up and down in your seat, at a buck ten the guys in the back (all eight of them) had to be getting launched.

I saw them at the hospital and asked what they brought in- it was a dude with a temperature of 101. Not something that needed an ambulance, let alone going code at that speed.

E:they have a really bad reputation in the Hudson valley for their insane driving and overloaded ambulances. They’re a major hazard on the roads.

Ugly In The Morning fucked around with this message at 23:17 on Feb 16, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

Show HN: eRuv: An automated car that drives around in circles with fishing line spooling out the back.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
What if they just made a shabbat ambulance like a shabbat elevator. The ambulance automatically drives to every house, so if someone has an emergency they can just get in without having to operate a phone and it takes them to the hospital (eventually, after stopping at every house on the way).

Ornamental Dingbat
Feb 26, 2007

Foone did a good thread about normalization of deviance and the Challenger disaster

https://twitter.com/Foone/status/1095550629919961088?s=20

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are

Ornamental Dingbat posted:

Foone did a good thread about normalization of deviance and the Challenger disaster

/me forwards that to entire team at work with a note, "TO DISCUSS NEXT MEETING"

uvar
Jul 25, 2011

Avoid breathing
radioactive dust.
College Slice

The Jumanji fan remake really needed a bigger budget...

Communist Zombie
Nov 1, 2011

There have been numerous legal disputes presented against the modern day wires but the eruv committees usually don't have a problem getting competent legal council and generally win the cases.

What do you mean by legal disputes here because I can't imagine what could be the problems outside of zoning/building codes.

Also does the wire have to be above ground because then calling LHC an eruv seems like a good idea.

Ornamental Dingbat
Feb 26, 2007

Communist Zombie posted:

What do you mean by legal disputes here because I can't imagine what could be the problems outside of zoning/building codes.

Also does the wire have to be above ground because then calling LHC an eruv seems like a good idea.

From the wiki:

quote:

In the United States, legal controversies about an eruv in a community often focus on provisions of the First Amendment of the Constitution of the United States, which addresses relations between government and religion. Opponents of an eruv typically take the view that the government participation in the eruv process necessary to approve its construction violates the First Amendment's prohibition of governmental establishment of religion. Proponents take the view that it constitutes a constitutionally permissible accommodation of religion rather than an establishment. Proponents have also argued that the Free Exercise Clause affirmatively requires government acceptance, on the grounds that government interference with or failure to accommodate an eruv constitutes discrimination against or inhibition of the constitutional right of free exercise of religion.[29]

In the 2002 decision on Tenafly Eruv Association v. Borough of Tenafly (309 F.3d 144), Judge Ambro, writing for the United States Third Circuit Court of Appeals, held that Eruv Association members had no intrinsic right to add attachments to telephone poles on Borough property and that the borough, if it wished, could enact a general, neutral ordinance against all attachments to utility poles that could be enforced against the eruv. However, Judge Ambro held that in this case, the Borough had not enacted a genuinely general or neutral ordinance because it permitted a wide variety of attachments to utility poles for non-religious purposes, including posting signs and other items. Because it permitted attachments to utility poles for secular purposes, the court held, it could not selectively exclude attachments for religious purposes.[30] The United States Supreme Court declined to hear the case. It was subsequently cited as precedent by a number of other federal courts deciding disputes between an eruv association and a local government.

In Outremont, a neighbourhood in Montreal, Quebec, Canada, the city adopted a policy of removing eruv wires. In 2001, the Hasidic community obtained an injunction preventing such action by the city authorities.[31]

Original white PVC pipe, attached to a utility pole in Mahwah, New Jersey, serving as a lechi to demarcate an eruv
Between 2015 and 2018, there were ongoing issues with eruv markings extended on utility poles in a section of New Jersey. The adjoining municipalities of Mahwah, Upper Saddle River and Montvale, all border the state line[32] on the other side of which is Rockland County, New York, where there are large communities of Orthodox Jews. After some eruvin were extended into Bergen County, allowing travel in the area, the municipalities took action in 2017 to dismantle the lechi markings. The matter was taken to court, and in January 2018 the presiding judge in the lawsuits made it clear he felt the municipalities did not have a strong case, and urged them to settle. The three municipalities have settled with the eruv association, allowing the eruv borders to remain in New Jersey, reimbursed the association’s legal fees, received agreement from the association to adjust the color of the lechi mounted on local utility poles, and agreed to work through a few remaining route details.

In general, state law has dealt with whether and to what extent government can permit or assist the erection and maintenance of boundary demarcations on public property. It has not dealt with the nature of the aggregation agreement or recognized an eruv as having legal effect or as implementing a meaningful change in real property ownership or tenancy. For purposes of accident liability, trespass, insurance, and other secular matters occurring on Shabbat, State law treats the properties within an eruv as continuing to be separate parcels.

The Real Amethyst
Apr 20, 2018

When no one was looking, Serval took forty Japari buns. She took 40 buns. That's as many as four tens. And that's terrible.

Ugly In The Morning posted:

I was behind on on the Tappan Zee Bridge transporting someone to Westchester medical and there was a Hatzollah ambulance that blew by me with lights and sirens doing at least 110- on the TZ, that’s madness. Even at normal speeds you’d be going up and down in your seat, at a buck ten the guys in the back (all eight of them) had to be getting launched.

I saw them at the hospital and asked what they brought in- it was a dude with a temperature of 101. Not something that needed an ambulance, let alone going code at that speed.

E:they have a really bad reputation in the Hudson valley for their insane driving and overloaded ambulances. They’re a major hazard on the roads.

:stare: 110 is insane for what sounds like a bumpy road. Most I've done is100mph (160km/h) on auto bahn like freeway with good conditions and even then it was Jesus take the wheel territory for a large heavy vehicle.

Having like 8 people respond in a single vehicle is total BS too. It must be comical watching them fall over one another..
I find even having a third person on the crew to be a nuisance unless it's a life threatening call.

But the people who call them probably love it.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Fancy_Breakfast posted:

:stare: 110 is insane for what sounds like a bumpy road. Most I've done is100mph (160km/h) on auto bahn like freeway with good conditions and even then it was Jesus take the wheel territory for a large heavy vehicle.

Having like 8 people respond in a single vehicle is total BS too. It must be comical watching them fall over one another..
I find even having a third person on the crew to be a nuisance unless it's a life threatening call.

But the people who call them probably love it.
I don’t speed in an ambulance ever anymore, it really doesn’t save time unless you’re going really far. Hell, lights and sirens typically don’t save an appreciable amount of time and also turn everyone around you into a loving moron.

Yeah, three is my limit as far as people go but I’ve never seen them show up with less than six. It’s some clown car poo poo when they’re getting out at the hospital, you think there can’t possibly be more people in the rig but they just keep coming out.

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan

Sagebrush posted:

the general rabbinical agreement is that our big brains are a gift from god, so he obviously intended for us to use them, and it pleases god when we use our big brains to come up with clever interpretations of his laws.

it's actually quite a nice sentiment i think. the same logic is why judaism is generally very sex-positive (why would he make it so fun if you weren't supposed to do it??) and open-minded on many topics.

Yeah exactly. You're literally supposed to lay around eating good food and reading and loving on the Sabbath. I'll take that over Catholicism any day.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Moist von Lipwig posted:

Yeah exactly. You're literally supposed to lay around eating good food and reading and loving on the Sabbath. I'll take that over Catholicism any day.

They also have a holiday where you’re supposed to get absolutely obliterated, which is always cool.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
Or don't take any of it all and do whatever whenever. Ultimate win. In the end we're all wormfood/ashes.

No moral.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

It does highlight the difference between doing things properly and doing them the way I do them.

Every little bit of gear I have - and me - is always ran at well over sustainable levels. Ending up with solder on my fingers or overvolting hardware to make it a hazard to me and it alike is perfectly ordinary. Or just assembling something where the expected safety measures just don't exist.

I couldn't live any other way and I'm going to dodge the consequences forever.

But you put anyone else in my seat, and my tools are significant hazards, my work methods are a mess where comprehending them takes longer than reinventing them, and trying to copy what I do the way I do is completely unsustainable.

But I know my tools in extreme depth, have knowledge how to fix them when they inevitably fail, and put nobody in danger.

Most of this thread is images of people doing things the way I do. But there's a fairly big difference between knowingly doing something that should fail and doesn't because you know you'll never pay the price for it, and the way people grow comfortable with doing things in a way that doesn't seem all that bad while being just outside the limits of safety.

"Either actually play it safe or embrace the fuckup you are and go well beyond reasonable."

Is that actually good advice?

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
:psyduck:

EKDS5k
Feb 22, 2012

THIS IS WHAT HAPPENS WHEN YOU LET YOUR BEER FREEZE, DAMNIT

endlessmonotony posted:

It does highlight the difference between doing things properly and doing them the way I do them.

Every little bit of gear I have - and me - is always ran at well over sustainable levels. Ending up with solder on my fingers or overvolting hardware to make it a hazard to me and it alike is perfectly ordinary. Or just assembling something where the expected safety measures just don't exist.

But you put anyone else in my seat, and my tools are significant hazards, my work methods are a mess where comprehending them takes longer than reinventing them, and trying to copy what I do the way I do is completely unsustainable.

But I know my tools in extreme depth, have knowledge how to fix them when they inevitably fail, and put nobody in danger.

Most of this thread is images of people doing things the way I do. But there's a fairly big difference between knowingly doing something that should fail and doesn't because you know you'll never pay the price for it, and the way people grow comfortable with doing things in a way that doesn't seem all that bad while being just outside the limits of safety.

"Either actually play it safe or embrace the fuckup you are and go well beyond reasonable."

You are the reason I have a safety officer breathing down my neck trying to micromanage every little thing I do.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
If they were able to change "wall" to "wire" once, why don't they just change the rules again to something easier to deal with?

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
I mean I try to respect different people perspectives and beliefs but lol the eruv thing is just so phenomenally stupid.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

To be just a little clearer.

To me it seems that the truly colossal fuckups are complacency, routine and normalization of deviance more often than not. The way I work is ridiculously unsafe, but I'm aware of that and have a plan in place for when things inevitably fail. I know the odds for being hosed over by routinely ignoring and/or disabling safety measures, and for me it's below a rounding error.

What I'm wondering is if being obviously unsafe is actually not all that unsafe because you know your limits, or whether it's just a perceptual quirk from people not being surprised that someone gets hosed over by their cowboy methods.

EKDS5k posted:

You are the reason I have a safety officer breathing down my neck trying to micromanage every little thing I do.

Not exactly likely, because I'm very obviously the kind of person who can't be relied on to follow safety guidelines. Unless you're also perceived as reckless, of course.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
Holy Christ please do not come to my job site. Though you’d probably get the boot on a life-critical safety violation in like five minutes from the sound of things.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

Holy Christ please do not come to my job site. Though you’d probably get the boot on a life-critical safety violation in like five minutes from the sound of things.

I'm permanently banned from operating heavy machinery as is so I don't imagine I'd get very far in the hiring process for a place that actually cares about safety protocol and has work where harming other people is a likely possibility. And I wouldn't take a job where the quality of my work affects the safety of other people, because I'm not that kind of an rear end in a top hat.

Jet Jaguar
Feb 12, 2006

Don't touch my bags if you please, Mr Customs Man.

Rules are for other people!

Prescribing viewings of both “Last Clear Chance” and “Shake Hands With Danger.”

Buh-da-dundun-dunnnnnnn!

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Sagebrush posted:

the general rabbinical agreement is that our big brains are a gift from god, so he obviously intended for us to use them, and it pleases god when we use our big brains to come up with clever interpretations of his laws.

it's actually quite a nice sentiment i think. the same logic is why judaism is generally very sex-positive (why would he make it so fun if you weren't supposed to do it??) and open-minded on many topics.

I’ve never actually seen it explained that way (also thinking about the other comment talking about our relationship with God being a mutual partnership) and it makes a lot more sense.

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

endlessmonotony posted:

What I'm wondering is if being obviously unsafe is actually not all that unsafe

What

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
In the Talmud there’s a story about some rabbis out-ruleslawyering god, who, IIRC, thinks it’s hilarious.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

It also implies that being stupid makes god angry and I'm a fan of that.

Bronze Fonz
Feb 14, 2019

endlessmonotony posted:

You just haven't had your thread-worthy catastrofuck yet.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

That poster is just someone who's beaten the odds so far, which to him means he's going to keep beating them forever.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Rules pretty much exist for the "it's ok, I know exactly what I'm doing and what can go wrong" people. You seem like the old hand in a very special sitcom episode or drama where someone new shows up and starts changing rules so everything is more safe. You say "I don't need your rules, I've done this for 20 years." Then at the end of the episode, people are in the break room, the lights dim, there's a big buzzing down, a crash. Everyone runs into the room and you're on the ground saying "I don't know what happened." Then the new guy says "If you had only followed the rules I set out, this wouldn't have happened. Then everyone learns an important lesson.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse
The question I asked is actually a sensible one - I'm wondering which is more dangerous, having a reckless disregard for safety, or having a false feeling of safety from being unsafe never having backfired yet.

But I see my attitude distracts from that, so some context is in order I guess.

I can't do much other than odd jobs doing repair now and ain't nobody going to hire me for anything dangerous unless they either have no liability or no sense. I didn't get banned from operating heavy machinery because I'm reckless and have no fear of death, I had an event in my life where through no fault of my own I lost my ability to operate heavy machinery (including driving a car), my fear of death and my patience for anything slowing me down. I know I'm not likely to gently caress myself up with my disregard for safety because I've got way bigger odds being hosed up by something I have no control over.

EDIT: "I'm going to dodge the consequences forever" is equal parts shaking my fist at the universe demanding it steps up its game, and resignation that I'm hosed either way.

endlessmonotony fucked around with this message at 01:19 on Feb 17, 2019

KodiakRS
Jul 11, 2012

:stonk:

In the Talmud there’s a story about some rabbis out-ruleslawyering god, who, IIRC, thinks it’s hilarious.

These people still exist today. Bill Maher is a bit of an rear end in this clip but it's still kind of funny https://youtu.be/Hc-cGfNG598

Ultraklystron
May 19, 2010

Unsafe At Every Speed

A variation of the notion that any computer science major that didn't learn about the Therac-25 disaster as a mandatory part of their coursework probably shouldn't be writing code professionally until they do. It's amazing how immediately dangerous bad code in certain applications can be.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

endlessmonotony posted:

The question I asked is actually a sensible one - I'm wondering which is more dangerous, having a reckless disregard for safety, or having a false feeling of safety from being unsafe never having backfired yet.

Being deliberately reckless is more dangerous than taking insufficient precautions. Next question?

Vanagoon
Jan 20, 2008

Best Dead Gay Forums
on the whole Internet!
The Something Awful Forums > General Bullshit > OSHA - Safety Third!

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

endlessmonotony posted:

I'm not really seeing the distinction between these two. People often have a reckless disregard for safety because they have a false feeling of safety due to a lack of immediate consequences.

quote:

In aviation ORM this attitude is known as the "hotshot" personality type. Hotshots are good, and know they're good, and start to believe that safety rules don't need to apply to them. A classic example of this is Lt Col Arthur "Utter loving Assclown" Holland, who got away with pushing the limits repeatedly, right up until he flew a B-52 into the ground and took several other people with him. "Darker Shades of Blue", the case study on that crash, is required reading for many ORM/CRM discussions: http://gwclei.com/darker-shades-of-blue-a-case-study-of-failed-leadership/

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

Wingnut Ninja posted:

I'm not really seeing the distinction between these two. People often have a reckless disregard for safety because they have a false feeling of safety due to a lack of immediate consequences.

In aviation ORM this attitude is known as the "hotshot" personality type. Hotshots are good, and know they're good, and start to believe that safety rules don't need to apply to them. A classic example of this is Lt Col Arthur "Utter loving Assclown" Holland, who got away with pushing the limits repeatedly, right up until he flew a B-52 into the ground and took several other people with him. "Darker Shades of Blue", the case study on that crash, is required reading for many ORM/CRM discussions: http://gwclei.com/darker-shades-of-blue-a-case-study-of-failed-leadership/

Fair. I guess my reckless disregard for safety stemming from knowledge I cannot be safe as opposed to overconfidence in my abilities colors my view... quite a lot.

There's also a reason I never leave anything unsafe anywhere other people could stumble upon it. I may have no fear of death but assuming other people don't as well is just being a total dick.

Also yeah the link is exactly the kind of thing I was interested in, thanks.

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

Ultraklystron posted:

A variation of the notion that any computer science major that didn't learn about the Therac-25 disaster as a mandatory part of their coursework probably shouldn't be writing code professionally until they do. It's amazing how immediately dangerous bad code in certain applications can be.

Reading about the Therac-25 at the same time I heard a rumour a buddy of mine wrote some embedded code for a braking system that failed and killed someone was when I made the decision I would never write code for devices which could directly harm.

Databases don't trigger radiation. Webapps don't explode. I get to sleep at night.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
https://twitter.com/Foone/status/1095553589022416896

Writing down passwords isn’t the real problem here.

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
https://i.imgur.com/JpcRKtC.gifv
https://www.nu.nl/263859/video/schip-raakt-man-op-haar-na-bij-tewaterlating-in-hoogezand.html

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

HOLY gently caress

E:

Google Translate posted:

Ship touches man after her at the launch in Hoogezand

A launch of a large ship in Hoogezand almost went wrong on Friday. A man was able to get out of the ship just in time when it began to move toward the water.

February 16, 2019 08:21