Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

Just use a Wii. It's not handheld, but it does everything a switch does and costs less. Maybe a WiiU if you need handheld. VC for N64 games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nonviolent J
Jul 20, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Soiled Meat
N64 compatibility is insane compared to wii64/not64/vc now

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Nonviolent J posted:

N64 compatibility is insane compared to wii64/not64/vc now

Wait, what do you mean by this? Which one is better?

Bulgakov
Mar 8, 2009

рукописи не горят

asecondduck posted:

Huh, the Switch really is the new Vita, isn't it?

Lakka is... pretty good for what's essentially a proof of concept. Having to SSH into it to connect to my Bluetooth speaker for sound is probably a deal breaker for most people, and Peace Walker was, unfortunately, a no-go.

assuming that picture is some sort of anime shovelware then yes, it’s a vita

Nonviolent J
Jul 20, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Soiled Meat

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Wait, what do you mean by this? Which one is better?

None of those, they;re all wii / wii u

Mupen next on switch is crazy

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Bulgakov posted:

:rolleye:

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

~As for dreams, she has enough and more to spare~

Bulgakov posted:

lmao

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

hey guess what

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

https://gbatemp.net/threads/browsenx-web-browser-launcher-source.529438/

Nonviolent J
Jul 20, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Soiled Meat
New hekate build with mupen64 is crazy, the stuttering when it has to learn is gone

Hammer Bro.
Jul 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Anyone know if PCSX ReARMed works for RetroArch Switch?

One time once I got a .bin file loaded directly to being playing the intro in an impractically tiny screen, but most of the time it just Failed to Load Contents me.

I'm curious if I need to do any special configurations or have specific file types or whatnot. Though I've tried a fair few file types.

Edit: Now it appears to work fine although the RetroArch UI went from unexpectedly decent to very pixely. Anyone know how to revert that?

RetroArch mystifies me.

Hammer Bro. fucked around with this message at 21:45 on Feb 16, 2019

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer

Maybe we'll finally get 7.0.0 CFW support soon, after almost three weeks.
One can only hope.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Bulgakov posted:

You're right on both fronts.

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.
I will be picking up a New 2DS XL tomorrow, and then selling my CFW old 3DS. What is the proper way to setup the 2DS and clear the 3DS?

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled

Endymion FRS MK1 posted:

I will be picking up a New 2DS XL tomorrow, and then selling my CFW old 3DS. What is the proper way to setup the 2DS and clear the 3DS?

Do you want to install CFW onto the new 2ds xl? If yes install CFW to the new 2ds xl, update both to the latest 3ds firmware, system transfer your stuff from the 3ds to the new 2ds xl and then https://3ds.hacks.guide/uninstall-cfw.html will let you uninstall CFW from the 3ds barring weird circumstances like "I hosed with system files on the 3ds in an attempt to unban the console or something" in which case you'd just end up probably bricking the 3ds by removing CFW from it

If you don't want to install CFW onto the new 2ds xl and also don't care about what's on your other 3ds you can just do a system tranfser and it should transfer over your NNID and proper entitlements without transferring over any of the CFW stuff or :filez: games if you installed any on the old 3ds.

Not sure if the old 3ds would get everything on it wiped or just the NNID stuff while leaving :filez: games.

MagusDraco fucked around with this message at 00:59 on Feb 18, 2019

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.

MagusDraco posted:

Do you want to install CFW onto the new 2ds xl? If yes install CFW to the new 2ds xl, update both to the latest 3ds firmware, system transfer your stuff from the 3ds to the new 2ds xl and then https://3ds.hacks.guide/uninstall-cfw.html will let you uninstall CFW from the 3ds barring weird circumstances like "I hosed with system files on the 3ds in an attempt to unban the console or something" in which case you'd just end up probably bricking the 3ds by removing CFW from it

I don't want to remove CFW from the old one though

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled

Endymion FRS MK1 posted:

I don't want to remove CFW from the old one though

Then you can skip the "remove CFW" step. I'm unsure as to what will happen to pirated games on the CFW source 3ds. They may get wiped or they may stay. I'd backup your saves with a save manager and find CIAs for everything you pirated/whatever

On the new 2ds xl if you install CFW you will most likely have to install anything you didn't purchase from the eshop since that stuff won't transfer over and then restore saves you backed up on the old CFW 3ds before you started the system transfer.

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

MagusDraco posted:

Then you can skip the "remove CFW" step. I'm unsure as to what will happen to pirated games on the CFW source 3ds. They may get wiped or they may stay. I'd backup your saves with a save manager and find CIAs for everything you pirated/whatever

On the new 2ds xl if you install CFW you will most likely have to install anything you didn't purchase from the eshop since that stuff won't transfer over and then restore saves you backed up on the old CFW 3ds before you started the system transfer.

Oh ok, thanks

Nonviolent J
Jul 20, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Soiled Meat
Beta DS emulator now on switch

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

Grimey Drawer
It seems SciresM from the switch atmosphère team has been coding for the last 24 hours almost straight through (there's a little gap of ca. 6 hours in code commits a few hours ago, presumably for sleep), to finally deliver homebrewers from this Tetris-less hell of the last week. He just committed a changelog for the next version so release should be imminent:

code:
    Support for 7.0.0/7.0.1 was added.
        This is facilitated through a new payload, sept, which can be signed, encrypted, and then loaded by Nintendo's TSEC firmware.
        sept will derive the keys needed to boot new firmware, and then load sept/payload.bin off the SD card and jump to it.
    Recognition of applications for override/mitm has been improved.
        Nintendo's official Title ID range (0x0100000000000000-0x01FFFFFFFFFFFFFF) is now enforced.
    A deadlock condition was fixed involving libstratosphere mitm sysmodules.
    set.mitm and fs.mitm were merged into a single ams_mitm sysmodule.
        This saves a process ID, allowing users to run one additional process up to the 0x40 process limit.
    A bpc.mitm component was added, performing custom behavior on shutdown/reboot requests from am or applications.
        Performing a reboot from the reboot menu now reboots to atmosphere. This can be configured via system_settings.ini.
        Performing a shutdown from the reboot menu now works properly with AutoRCM, and does a real shutdown.
    General system stability improvements to enhance the user's experience.
So you now get a little "blackbox" payload, programmed by SciresM and signed with nintendo's keys, that derives the new firmware keys for you. This way, he doesn't have to replicate and expose the exploit neccessary to gain the keys in an open-source project and maybe Nintendo won't immediately fix the exploit again with the next firmware.

This also means that the other CFWs will probably just rip off said payload wholesale since they don't got their hands on the keys and this does all the work for them. Expect SX OS to have a miraculous solution to 7.0.0+ firmware in about a week after atmo 0.8.4 is out.

Can't wait to finally go online again and try out Tetris 99

Hammer Bro.
Jul 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Did I read right that if you shut down the system it'll now shut down and if you reboot it via the normal methods it'll reboot to Atmosphere?

It keeps inching closer and closer to an untethered solution.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

I was considering hacking/jailbreaking/whatever the term is for my Switch so I can load a bunch of old final fantasy titles onto it. But then I read through the reddit and it seems this is still very difficult to understand and it's not worth checking out if you, like me, are not a hobbyist programmer I guess?

I just want to put Retroarch on my thing!

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

Grimey Drawer

jokes posted:

I was considering hacking/jailbreaking/whatever the term is for my Switch so I can load a bunch of old final fantasy titles onto it. But then I read through the reddit and it seems this is still very difficult to understand and it's not worth checking out if you, like me, are not a hobbyist programmer I guess?

I haven't bothered with retroarch, but this doesn't seem insurmountable even to hobbyists, as long as you have the basics down on how to exploit your switch in the first place, meaning you know how to reach RCM and how to push a payload to your switch. The rest seems to just be copying files to your SD and knowing how to use Linux.

Hammer Bro. posted:

Did I read right that if you shut down the system it'll now shut down and if you reboot it via the normal methods it'll reboot to Atmosphere?

It keeps inching closer and closer to an untethered solution.
That's what it seems like. Previously, if you powered down from the OS, your console would go into RCM again and you'd have to hard-shutdown by pressing the power button for 12+ seconds every time - this should be fixed now. And a OS reboot will put you into atmosphère again, or really, any payload you point it at. You can also reboot into hekate or whatever you want.
This plus the atmo-reboot on crashes means that the only time you'll ever need to push a payload again is when you forgot your charger or something and have to let the battery run out.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

HenryEx posted:

I haven't bothered with retroarch, but this doesn't seem insurmountable even to hobbyists, as long as you have the basics down on how to exploit your switch in the first place, meaning you know how to reach RCM and how to push a payload to your switch. The rest seems to just be copying files to your SD and knowing how to use Linux.

Yeah, I mean, I'll give this all a go, but it's still very daunting from the outside looking in.

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

jokes posted:

Go back a couple pages, I posted a huge walk through. Personally I would suggest not connecting to the internet or updating your firmware. Others who follow more closely do it, but I just leave mine for homebrew, so I'm out of the loop.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Aaaand it's out: https://github.com/Atmosphere-NX/Atmosphere/releases/tag/0.8.4

Hilariously, it seems that the new encrypted mini-capsule that derives the firmware keys shows an atmosphère logo, so either SX OS and the other CFWswill have to make do with showing their logo after the atmosphère one or they might have to spend a few weeks figuring out how to hack around showing the atmosphère boot screen when they inevitably rip off the sept module, since there would've been an update long ago if they had a way to get the new keys themselves

I'm gonna play so much tetris

Nonviolent J
Jul 20, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Soiled Meat
The splash screen says "free and open source"

Shots fired

Hammer Bro.
Jul 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

jokes posted:

It used to be complicated but now it's pretty simple. There are even walkthroughs that end up with custom-SD-card downloads including which RetroArch cores you want.

https://guide.sdsetup.com/

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Hammer Bro. posted:

It used to be complicated but now it's pretty simple. There are even walkthroughs that end up with custom-SD-card downloads including which RetroArch cores you want.

https://guide.sdsetup.com/

Now this is the kind of guide I like! Thank you! I'm gonna gently caress with this later tonight.

I have been informed that my Switch is updated to 7.0.1 does that mean I'm hosed or are we still in business?

Nonviolent J
Jul 20, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Soiled Meat
You were until about 4 posts up

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

HenryEx posted:

Aaaand it's out: https://github.com/Atmosphere-NX/Atmosphere/releases/tag/0.8.4

Hilariously, it seems that the new encrypted mini-capsule that derives the firmware keys shows an atmosphère logo, so either SX OS and the other CFWswill have to make do with showing their logo after the atmosphère one or they might have to spend a few weeks figuring out how to hack around showing the atmosphère boot screen when they inevitably rip off the sept module, since there would've been an update long ago if they had a way to get the new keys themselves

I'm gonna play so much tetris

Wait how is this preventing you getting an online ban

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

Grimey Drawer
I dunno, but i've been online for months with atmosphère and have not been banned, so it's obviously working somehow :shrug:

It's too early to tell for 7.0+ of course, but i'm willing to take the risk.

A good poster
Jan 10, 2010

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

Wait how is this preventing you getting an online ban

My guess is they don't have any .NSPs installed of games they didn't buy on the eShop.

Nonviolent J
Jul 20, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Soiled Meat
No one's been banned for just using homebrew, it's always nsp/clearing logs

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

Incorrect.

Nonviolent J
Jul 20, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Soiled Meat
Everytime someone thinks they have it's because they've done something else they haven't admitted ti

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Nonviolent J posted:

You were until about 4 posts up

I thought that was about some back-end poo poo, not end-user junk, but that's really awesome news!

I'm stupid!

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

Nonviolent J posted:

Everytime someone thinks they have it's because they've done something else they haven't admitted ti

It happened to me with a retroarch .nro, dumbass

Nonviolent J
Jul 20, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Soiled Meat
You probably had an error before they were redirected, that's a ban

Or you're one in a million, countless others including myself have had no issues

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

As Nero Danced
Sep 3, 2009

Alright, let's do this
Stupid question about n64 compatibility: Can someone test perfect dark, goldeneye and TWINE and see how they play? Those three were mine and my brothers' favorite games growing up and if they're in a playable state I might start hacking my switch sooner than I planned to.