Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

paul_soccer10
Mar 28, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Ate a tasty eggs Benedict. Toronto kicks rear end

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

paul_soccer10
Mar 28, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
It's too bright out. Death to Toronto

RBC
Nov 23, 2007

IM STILL SPENDING MONEY FROM 1888

COMPAGNIE TOMMY posted:

Part of a vital urban core is having things within walking distance that people will actually want to go to- since I was there for a concert I couldn't stray too far from the arena- I would have loved to have gone to one of the Canada Masterchef guys' restaurants at the very least- but not knowing the city I'm not stranding myself.

Look at how horizontal the city is and how far you have to go to go anywhere worth going- that's loving LA, not NYC. That was the other thing- the city charges New York Prices when all it is is Canada's Tyson's Corner. The airport is also garbage for international connections- hard pass.

lmao

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
just so we're all on the same page here

green is the commonly accepted border of "downtown toronto", everything in that area is walkable in under an hour unless you have serious mobility issues. on transit the time between the two furthest points on the map is still 15 minutes at most.

red is where the op stayed. there are several hundred restaurants in the green area alone

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016
Toronto cannot fail, it can only be failed

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

infernal machines posted:

green is the commonly accepted border of "downtown toronto", everything in that area is walkable in under an hour unless you have serious mobility issues. on transit the time between the two furthest points on the map is still 15 minutes at most.

red is where the op stayed. there are several hundred restaurants in the green area alone

Settle down, Beavis.

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016

red is where the op stayed.

mobility was/is an issue for my traveling companion

that said, we never had problems finding things to eat in Manhattan

hm I'm hungry, better walk for an hour

RBC
Nov 23, 2007

IM STILL SPENDING MONEY FROM 1888
staying in a building thats literally next to union station GODAMN I DONT WANT TO GET STRANDED HOW DOES SUBWAY WORK IT IS MYSTERY

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

COMPAGNIE TOMMY posted:

mobility was/is an issue for my traveling companion

in that case, i'm sorry, you were doomed from the get go.

the one thing toronto ain't is accessible

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016
chewed up and spit out by The Big City :(

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
if you're not eating at the hot dog cart around the corner from the bus station then gently caress YOU

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

yeah, on that front there's not so many places you could have gone that wouldn't have been bullshit. all the stuff in the older parts of the city ends up cramming the bathrooms in the basement due to space constraints. if you have trouble with stairs you may as well not leave the house.

the fact that we hosted the para-panam games here was frankly a bit of a joke.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

just so u know im absolutely judging you for having the madison avenue pub in your google maps history

paul_soccer10
Mar 28, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Come to union station in the next 20 mins if you want to deliver an rear end kicking

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

vyelkin posted:

just so u know im absolutely judging you for having the madison avenue pub in your google maps history

yeah, that's fair. anyone in their 30s who voluntarily goes into the maddie should probably be on a list somewhere.

paul_soccer10
Mar 28, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Or if you want to visit the aquarium with me and my big titty gf

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

i too, am going to the aquarium, but not for an hour or so.

paul_soccer10
Mar 28, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

i too, am going to the aquarium, but not for an hour or so.

I'll be in the giant foam cowboy hat

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

DON'T POST IN THE ELECTION THREAD UNLESS YOU :love::love::love: JOE BIDEN
Toronto is a comfortable city to live in (or was before the rent went from "too high" to "loving insane") but I can't really imagine what I'd make of it if I were visiting and didn't know the city well already. Also even compared to Ottawa or Montreal there's really no reason to come to Toronto in February.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
i live in the aquarium because i am actually a giant jellyfish

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

there's a goon from Virginia that seems to do it every year for some reason.

always in February.

sleep with the vicious
Apr 2, 2010

COMPAGNIE TOMMY posted:

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

COMPAGNIE TOMMY posted:

mods

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

Helsing posted:

Toronto is a comfortable city to live in (or was before the rent went from "too high" to "loving insane") but I can't really imagine what I'd make of it if I were visiting and didn't know the city well already. Also even compared to Ottawa or Montreal there's really no reason to come to Toronto in February.

Our landlady sold our place last spring, and we had to move out to Whitby. What we paid in rent for a one bedroom in Toronto in 2013 is now what you pay for a one bedroom near the GO station in loving Pickering.

And with the TTC constantly on fire, the commute from here isn't that much longer.

Toronto's a silly place.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

based entirely on both having been there maybe once a year and living in towns my entire life, here is my comprehensive toronto review: it's too big and sucks

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Dreylad posted:

Our landlady sold our place last spring, and we had to move out to Whitby. What we paid in rent for a one bedroom in Toronto in 2013 is now what you pay for a one bedroom near the GO station in loving Pickering.

And with the TTC constantly on fire, the commute from here isn't that much longer.

Toronto's a silly place.

it's true.

but you live in whitby now

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
Please avoid swimming naked in the Ripley's aquarium, outlander.

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

DON'T POST IN THE ELECTION THREAD UNLESS YOU :love::love::love: JOE BIDEN
Based on his posts so far I say jump right in.

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
No, this honor is for locals only.

punished milkman
Dec 5, 2018

would have won
i grew up in the GTA and it's all poo poo. everything within like 150km of the CN tower is trash

punished milkman
Dec 5, 2018

would have won
that said there's an incredible breakfast joint in etobicoke called huevos gourmet that i miss

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

Colonel Cancer posted:

No, this honor is for locals only.

The naked swim in shark tank guy was from Nelson. Toronto people are too boring to do something like that.

paul_soccer10
Mar 28, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Gunna go steal some mummies

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

punished milkman posted:

i grew up in the GTA and it's all poo poo. everything within like 150km of the CN tower is trash

I live in Pickering and if you were to drive a dump truck through people's houses in a straight line from here to the lake most of the people you'd crush would have it coming

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

paul_soccer10 posted:

Gunna go steal some mummies

After the ROM head west down Bloor and hang out in the Annex, a cool neighbourhood

Also say hi to the dinosaurs for me

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan

there's a goon from Virginia that seems to do it every year for some reason.

always in February.

I didn't understand this at all until I saw what DC / VA restaurant culture was like

Noblesse Obliged
Apr 7, 2012

Actually the area in green is being redeveloped by Google

Surprise!

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

I'm the cafeteria at Sick Kids

Terror Sweat
Mar 15, 2009

Toronto is too expensive, it sucks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ansar Santa
Jul 12, 2012

I've been to Toronto maybe 8 times. 7 of those times I never left the airport.