Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

How long have Marvel been sticking episodes of Ultimate Spider-Man up on Youtube?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

bessantj posted:

How long have Marvel been sticking episodes of Ultimate Spider-Man up on Youtube?

No idea, but, assuming it's just a couple episodes, Disney in general does that a bunch, it's how I saw the first couple episodes of the Ducktales reboot.

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Klungo make bessst ever video game, 'Hero Klungo Sssavesss Teh World.'

Samuringa posted:

The entire thing reads like a show that someone would make bad on purpose - The Offenders - but without a hint of irony

this is going end up being Marvel's The Room

Marvel’s The Room is Venom.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Klungar posted:

Marvel’s The Room is Venom The Inhumans.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Inhumans wasn't laughably bad enough to be compared to The Room. It was just boringly bad.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

And Venom wasn't nearly as awful as people said, either. It was a dumb movie, but it was kinda fun! And I gave it points for not feeling the need to torture its plot into a 2.5+ hour epic.

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Phenotype posted:

And Venom wasn't nearly as awful as people said, either. It was a dumb movie, but it was kinda fun! And I gave it points for not feeling the need to torture its plot into a 2.5+ hour epic.

I didn't say Venom was bad, I said it was Marvel's The Room. The Room isn't bad.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Has anyone made a “and Marvel’s Room will be Captain Marvel” joke yet?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Retro Futurist posted:

Ethan Van Scriver, probably.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC

Klungar posted:

I didn't say Venom was bad, I said it was Marvel's The Room. The Room isn't bad.

The Room is popular because it is bad in a way some people find funny. Venom is no where near the same kind of reception. No one talks about Venom the way they talk about the Room. Venom hasn't basically become a meme film.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008
[b]BUNNIES ARE CUTE BUT DEADLY/b]

Retro Futurist posted:

For those missing the joke in this

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

ToastyPotato posted:

The Room is popular because it is bad in a way some people find funny. Venom is no where near the same kind of reception. No one talks about Venom the way they talk about the Room. Venom hasn't basically become a meme film.

I don't know, I laughed at Venom a lot, and in scenes I don't think the director intended to be humorous.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Skwirl posted:

Ethan Van Scriver, probably.

He is trying to act like that flick will be terrible like his life depends on it.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Dawgstar posted:

He is trying to act like that flick will be terrible like his life depends on it.

It probably does. He probably put a second morgage on his house that buy as much CM merch he can to destroy.

twistedmentat fucked around with this message at 18:23 on Feb 13, 2019

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

Klungar posted:

I don't know, I laughed at Venom a lot, and in scenes I don't think the director intended to be humorous.

Personal taste and opinion have nothing to do with how large groups of people perceive a given thing though. The Room is a film that is specifically well known for its weird and unique level of badness. Tons of bad movies get released every year and no one cares because they are forgettable. The Room, despite being "a bad film" is actually liked by a whole lot of people because of its awkward, strange qualities. People definitely both liked and disliked Venom, but to suggest it occupies the same kind of space in pop culture (at whatever level, even if just internet pop culture) is pretty bogus. Unless people are just using comparisons to The Room improperly because they don't actually know what it is and just think it fills the space of "worst movie ever."

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
The thing that made the Room so great/bad was the earnestness and sincerity behind it. It raises to outsider art at some points even. Tommy wanted to make a serious character piece that would win all the Oscars but he was so inept and incompetent that even when he was trying his hardest it failed so badly. That is why stuff like The Room and Ed Wood's movies are so endearing. They aren't bad on purpose, they are the work of the creators visions where what they thought they were making and what they ended up making are so far at either end of the spectrum that they right earn the title of "Best Bad Movie".
I was going to make the argument that Fantastic Four (Corman) would be closest to The Room but it is Roger Corman and he never had any delusions of grandeur so not even close. The latest Fantastic Four might be there but it is such a dour boring film that it isn't even interesting watching it from a trainwreck point of view.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Madkal posted:

I was going to make the argument that Fantastic Four (Corman) would be closest to The Room but it is Roger Corman and he never had any delusions of grandeur so not even close. The latest Fantastic Four might be there but it is such a dour boring film that it isn't even interesting watching it from a trainwreck point of view.

You can have fun with "is this real or is it a reshoot?" (The key is looking for Kata Mara's really bad wig.)

David D. Davidson
Nov 17, 2012

Orca lady?
The Corman Fantastic Four film is pretty much the best one by default.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
Honestly has there ever been a superhero movie that has been nothing more than a passion project? I guess Dick Tracy or Darkman in a way.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Does Scott Pilgrim count?

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Considering the lengths Reynolds went to I'm going with deadpool

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008
[b]BUNNIES ARE CUTE BUT DEADLY/b]
Also, what about Sin City/The Spirit?

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!

doesn’t look nearly weird enough but I’ll give it a shot anyway

also, they made Negative Man gay, way to typecast Matt Bomer lol

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

"a group of creepy scientists did terrible things to an innocent girl"

And here was me thinking maybe TV was actually ready for exploring mental illness as a response to realistic deep personal trauma within the context of superhero fiction like the comics somehow managed to do 30 years ago but nnnnope those dastardly creepy scientists were at it again, and the trauma remains on I Fought With My Mom level.

Gonna give it a go but I'm kinda disappointed already, though not unexpectedly so, and I can't say I have high hopes.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
https://twitter.com/THR/status/1096535131320471552

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
Does he get a young attractive British co-star to travel with him on these adventures through time?

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
no he will romance several men through in his travels and end up being his own great great great grandpa

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
Sold.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

site posted:

no he will romance several men through in his travels and end up being his own great great great grandpa

and a horse

David D. Davidson
Nov 17, 2012

Orca lady?
Correction: he'll be romanced by a horse.

Also Doom Patrol is good.

David D. Davidson fucked around with this message at 00:28 on Feb 16, 2019

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Quantum Loki sounds cool

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Watched the first two episodes of The Umbrella Academy and I'm enjoying it so far. They combined the first two minis into one story so you have the apocalypse story and also the stuff with what 5 didn't tell the others about from his time in the future. It's clear that someone threw a bunch of money into the production because the effects are all pretty good.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

Opened my eyes.
I was going to ask today if it was already out as a joke, but it really is? poo poo, I'm way behind on this stuff.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

Doom Patrol is pretty great. Of course, being a TV show, there are just enough tweaks to their origins (Larry being gay which was alluded to in Morrison's run, Cliff didn't die the way he remembered at first, subtle racism on Rita) to separate these guys from their 60's origin form.

Even without the nudity and the language, this was never getting on a broadcast network.

In the 60's, therapy for the Doom Patrol was defined by beating back villains and threats every day of the week; today, it's closer to reality: staying inside, watching gobs of TV, coping and suffering. At least it's taking a serious approach to mental illness whereas most other shows dip their toe in it and then cut away,

Danny the Street is going to be a difficult concept to push out even with decent CGI.

High hopes for this show and goals set for almost all of the characters. Hopefully Rita will eventually gain enough control over the course of the series so that she gets her original powers back (ability to become small / giant but in a way that doesn't evoke Gi/Ant Man)

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Danny wouldn't even need that much CGI, just great set design. Much like Jane doesn't need a weird transition effect, just acting.

I'm nitpicking, I quite liked it! It's not super weird but it's got the potential and I like the general tone of it. Definitely want to see where it's going.

The only thing that irritates me is the time frame. Cooped up in the house for 20-60 years, man. Could have made it, like, five, this whole 60s/70s/80s thing feels a bit too like Planetary for my taste. (If I really wanted to put on my media theory hat I'd say something about nostalgia and lacking frames of reference when all the world's media history is at your fingertips at once but I don't really do.)

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

DC probably couldn't make it too much weirder unless they wanted to throw more money at Morrison or not get any viewers due to it being a little too out there.

I kinda wish the threat The Chief was trying to convince the team of had been a little more concrete.. just Niles blubbering about 'all his enemies' seemed more like some old guy wrapped in his own paranoia than a true threat.

Like maybe shots of Animal/Mineral/Vegetable Man walking outside the Cloverton town limits, General Immortus polishing his sword, Brotherhood of Evil throwing junk food at their TV or something. (Comedy typecast: Patrick Stewart as General Immortus)

What was Cliff going to do on his lonesome anyway? Go to town to meet with the reporters like he did during the Jost years and try to explain things in some hometown Garrison Keillor style?

Kinda glad we will get to see Brandon Fraser in flashback, but you can tell it's been a looooong time since Encino Man.

Binary Badger fucked around with this message at 22:46 on Feb 16, 2019

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Opened my eyes.
I doubt Morrison or most people related to the original of these series are getting anything. They're not creator-owned comics.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

DC technically pays royalties for use of characters writers created after a date I forget, but they are very good at wiggling out of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

Yeah isn't one of their goto defenses based around "derivative" works? So if you DID make a character after the cut off, BUT that character was derivative of another character, then it doesn't count and you get nothing.