Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

Torrannor posted:

At the same time, our environmentalists stare wistfully at the USA at how much freight is moved by train, compared to here in Europe where a lot bigger share of freight is moved by trucks through the streets.

Well, we gave up our formerly great (Say WWII and earlier) passenger rail network and instead put all of those resources into maintaining our freight rail. Although like 99% of our freight rail isn't electrified so there's that. Amtrak only came about as a last ditch effort to save passenger rail in the US, and it's done an admirable job all things considered.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

I WANNA FLY THE TRAIN

https://youtu.be/4uasJEehEX4

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

How did this get even better than I remembered

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

What if we put the train on a treadmill?

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Godholio posted:

You live on an island and don't have to deal with US carriers or TSA.

True, we have Air NZ (who are awesome)

UP THE BUM NO BABY posted:

Have you looked into the sport of ballooning?

With my loving luck?

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

And thus. Two Finger set off in his beautiful barbeque balloon. Never to be seen again.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Casimir Radon posted:

And thus. Two Finger set off in his beautiful barbeque balloon. Never to be seen again.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sQVLsvZcr34 ?

Time Crisis Actor
Apr 28, 2002

by Hand Knit

EBB posted:

Now THAT is a deep cut

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

EBB posted:

It wouldn’t go anywhere because trains unlike planes get their forward motions from the wheels.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Everybody shut the gently caress up about treadmills right now. I know where this road goes.

vains
May 26, 2004

A Big Ten institution offering distance education catering to adult learners

psydude posted:

European freight trains are, I don't know how else to put it, adorable because they're like 10 cars long.

I think part of it is that the US' manufacturing and transportation infrastructure makes intermodal freight very easy to deploy and cheap to operate vs. moving it long distances via truck.

european freight rail doesn't have long enough hauls and its too slow relative to a truck to be very viable. it'd be like if american freight ran only inside a specific state and it changed companies at the border. each of those railroads has to make up the entire cost of operating the train only inside its borders.

american intermodal is junk business and isn't why the railroads are profitable. rates are constrained by trucks. trucking is a cut throat business and most carriers make $.10 on the dollar. intermodal operates in that same sphere and faces the same competitive pressure, except at ports for international business. even then, almost every port and rail destination is serviced by 2 of the big carriers.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

FrozenVent posted:

It wouldn’t go anywhere because trains unlike planes get their forward motions from the wheels.

Hook line and sinker

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

shame on an IGA posted:

Everybody shut the gently caress up about treadmills right now. I know where this road goes.

Treadmill doesn't go anywhere, moran!

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Casimir Radon posted:

The exhaust from the smoker can be the balloon’s inflation and navigation system! Need to change course? Just reposition the brisket a little bit.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

I generally aim for 18-24 hours for a brisket, so I wonder how far I could get in that time. Brisket by balloon!

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Wasabi the J posted:

Treadmill doesn't go anywhere, moran!

What about a treadmill on a road though?

Victor Vermis
Dec 21, 2004

WOKE UP IN THE DESERT AGAIN
There are two different speed settings on the treadmill which will allow the train to take flight,

X

And X - 0.000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000001

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Imagine four trains on the edge of a cliff...

mods changed my name
Oct 30, 2017
roboto please, he had a family

Loden Taylor
Aug 11, 2003

Fister Roboto posted:

What about a treadmill on a road though?

The roads must roll!

Also organized labor is bad? I dunno, Heinlein is weird.

mods changed my name
Oct 30, 2017
if the road was related to him heinlein would want to gently caress it

if the road is not related to him he will fall in love with it then cyrogenically freeze himself to be able to gently caress it the day it turns 18

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Is sci fi weird because its written by nerds or because its written for them?

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Milo and POTUS posted:

whynotboth.gif

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned
I just got a Prager U ad on my youtube app for roku. That poo poo is like, what I would think a parody of insane conservatives would be but nope, people believe activists are the enemy and gun ownership equals gender equality

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

Milo and POTUS posted:

It's both

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

shame on an IGA posted:

It goes nowhere, it's a loving treadmill.

efb really?!?

Reign Of Pain
May 1, 2005

Nap Ghost
https://www-m.cnn.com/2019/02/16/entertainment/jussie-smollett-attack/index.html?r=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.cnn.com%2F

Paid them to attack him

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Again, its anonymous sources. This is the same stuff that came out like 4 days ago. And like 2 days ago, Chicago PD came out and said it wasn't true.

https://twitter.com/AJGuglielmi/status/1096206043728789507

Reign Of Pain
May 1, 2005

Nap Ghost

CommieGIR posted:

Again, its anonymous sources. This is the same stuff that came out like 4 days ago. And like 2 days ago, Chicago PD came out and said it wasn't true.

https://twitter.com/AJGuglielmi/status/1096206043728789507

Cnn just said a chicago pd spokesman confirmed it

E: now they're saying that they're just looking into it being a false report...but inside sources reported today that after the release of the 2 guys that were arrested on Wednesday that they released today its probable that this is orchestrated...also said the 2 guys they released are cooperating fully with police

Reign Of Pain fucked around with this message at 02:13 on Feb 17, 2019

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
https://twitter.com/JenniferJJacobs/status/1096938486828093440

:thunkher:

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

nannygate seems so quaint

Woodchip
Mar 28, 2010
Lemme check real quick.

:matters:

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Reign of Pain, IRS just mailed me a letter informing me they sent my tax return to the Dept. of Ed. The notice is dated 10/18/2018. What's up with not doing your job bro.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Reign Of Pain posted:

Cnn just said a chicago pd spokesman confirmed it

E: now they're saying that they're just looking into it being a false report...but inside sources reported today that after the release of the 2 guys that were arrested on Wednesday that they released today its probable that this is orchestrated...also said the 2 guys they released are cooperating fully with police

Huh. Stunk from the start.

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned
Great, now the CHUDs have their rallying cry to dismiss every attack as false, versus how they would just dismiss every attack and not cite an occassion that was false

Bell_
Sep 3, 2006

Tiny Baltimore
A billion light years away
A goon's posting the same thing
But he's already turned to dust
And the shitpost we read
Is a billion light-years old
A ghost just like the rest of us

Please tell me it was Zoey Baird again, but under another name

Bell_ fucked around with this message at 04:17 on Feb 17, 2019

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

LingcodKilla posted:

Huh. Stunk from the start.

It did. And of course pointing that out had half a dozen morons breathing down our necks as if we supported the KKK or something.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Chichevache posted:

It did. And of course pointing that out had half a dozen morons breathing down our necks as if we supported the KKK or something.

Nobody wins but the chuds so I’d rather leave it at that.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

Chichevache posted:

of course pointing that out had half a dozen morons breathing down our necks as if we supported the KKK or something.

Dumbass who’s usually wrong: heh, today my hot take was correct. I guess I’m a genius now. That’s why I don’t replace my broken clock!

E: The part of the story that did sound weird - satisfying middle of night hinger voa fuckin’ subway in the city of Chicago.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

It wasn’t a hot take. The excruciating specific details released just didn’t add up.