Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Oh man, mountain tunnels are the best thing. I just started using the inca ones and suddenly my trade routes are going "Oh, I can take THIS path!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

I always wear my wedding ring. It's my trademark.

Concise UI, which is the best UI mod, is fully compatible with the expansion.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Inca still Inca-ing. :smug:

Smol
Jun 1, 2011

Stat rosa pristina nomine, nomina nuda tenemus.
So what’s the goon verdict? I’m guessing it looks pretty good (sans AI being crap at combat, like usual)?

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
It's fun, and has a lot of features. But not being able to scrap dirty power plants is a serious pain.

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
I still play civ 5 regularly as a rainy sunday afternoon type of game. I think the expansions completely make it.

Is this the time to get civ 6? Is it on the same level as the 5 expansions?

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

So far everything seems...good. Lots of little details, improved UI (mod ones are likely gonna be better but every improvement is appreciated). New, interesting mechanics. Oh and queues! In fact right next to the "queue for this city" button is the "bring up the queue for every city that fits on the screen" button.

Still playing with it, but for me so far everything seems positive.

Oh, oh, and AIs really don't care of you war with others as long as the Grievances don't go too overboard. This game I took out Mali right in front of everyone at the start, then when Dido started poo poo I ignored her for about 30 turns until I finally just gobbled up 2/3 of her empire and the only AIs that cared were Scotland and Australia who have "We really don't like wars" personality traits.

Edit: Mountain tunnels are so cool, and the fact that trade routes use them is nifty as well.

Alkydere fucked around with this message at 13:54 on Feb 16, 2019

Communist Bear
Oct 7, 2008

:stare:

While the rest of us are busy having a Renaissance, South Korea is like some sort of Final Fantasy futuristic cyber-city.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

Yeah, Korea's insane. Get Oracle and grab Pingala as your first governor and you can have a chunk of "A great scientist every 10-12 turns" in the Classical/Medieval era with Korea on top of an already insane research from your half-price campuses that give a flat +4 to start

pogothemonkey0
Oct 13, 2005

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:
The new expansion is good I guess but I haven't seen much of the climate change/rising sea level stuff. I just got a domination victory on Immortal using the Ottomans and had a lot of fun. The new governor is actually really good. Serasker gives +10 combat strength against districts (obviously including city centers) within 10 tiles of the governor. 10 tiles is a humongous range and really makes a difference in conquest.

Despite doing my best to rush catapults and assault my neighbor, I only made 2 and they proved to be almost completely useless until I upgraded them to bombards. They take over half their health from city shots or garrisoned crossbowman so, if you wheel one into range of the city, you only get 1 shot (from half health) before dying. Does anyone actually use them for conquest?

I was Kabul's suzerain the entire game and that bonus experience was amazing. I was hoping to also get Akkad but I could only maintain it for a few turns - just long enough to conquer a capital city.

I'm liking city states a lot more in this expansion. If you can focus on early suzerains, the diplomatic favors per turn is really powerful. Some of the bonuses are a lot of fun too. I had some crazy early game tile yields with like 4 moai in volcanic soil.

Nucular Carmul
Jan 26, 2005

Melongenidae incantatrix
A friend of mine and I wanted to play a game of Civ6 in the new expansion, freshly bought. I played Eleanor, leading France, and he played Canada. We had discussed some of the expac's features beforehand, and I'd mentioned that I wanted to see how far the global warming stuff went. So he shrugged and said he wanted to do science stuff and play with Giant Death Robots and such.

As Eleanor, I got a continent all to myself, with a few city states to buddy with. So I spread around, making cities everywhere, making nice with bros like Mexico City and Hong Kong. I made harbors, chopped down forests to get the infrastructure up faster, and moved Magnus around to make everything more efficient, with a nice mountain range for campuses. With my own continent gobbled up and being mined for iron, and then coal a little later, I made a navy. Turns out the rest of the world was cramped, constantly bickering on each other's borders. The Khmer had taken a city from Indonesia, and Rome was unhappy and trapped between them, unable to expand.

My friend in Canada and I had an alliance, and Scotland, directly to his north, got a little handsy with war. I got pulled into that skirmish, and the Khmer had an alliance with Scotland, so he got pulled in. I funneled money to Canada to help him fend off the land war, and sent my navy to the much more accessible Khmer lands to free that Indonesian city. This war sets up a complicated line of friendships and alliances, but the main thrust is that Khmer hated me, Indonesia loved me.

While wars go on again, off again, emergencies get declared and resolved, I'm strip mining my continent, getting coal power plants up, creating a web of industrial zones in Birmingham to make a production hub. There's little forest left in my lands, and not satisfied with one continent, I spread to a nearby island. As spies go up, they get used to depose other civilization's presence in city states, making myself the darling of over half of them. More mining, more deforestation, while I live in the lap of luxury, supported by fancy buildings, tons of trade routes, and growing land.

The World Congress begins to become more aware of Climate Change. Because of the research alliance with Canada, we were ahead in science, and my carbon footprint accounted for most of the emissions. But when the time came to discuss power options, I had too much influence. I voted for coal power plants to be even cheaper to build, since I still had some to make in my new cities. Then, when the deforestation treaty came up, I again used my influence, built up from city states and Indonesian deals, I made it EVEN MORE PROFITABLE to chop down forests. I quietly built flood barriers in my threatened coastal cities, watching the temperature go up, while others still didn't have the ability to make them.

Another war happens, and in a fit of pique, I nuke Khmer for continuing to mess with Indonesia. The World Congress scrambles to respond to my wanton use of WMDs, but I simply voted the emergency down, telling them (this is the quote from the emergency screen) "Monstrous power used against a monstrous foe. Never Again." Harbors start to get pillaged by flooding, tiles are being flooded, then submerged as the climate continues to shift. Storms become more frequent, ravaging everyone's lands, including my own. The polar ice melts away, visibly becoming less and less. Canada and I vote together to take WMDs away from Scotland, the closest power to us in science, just in case he got any ideas.

I've burned through my diplomatic favor, and now, only now, after sea levels have risen by 3.5 meters, I graciously decide that enough is enough. Time to go green. Carbon recapture projects. Decommissioning coal power. It's getting me more favor, which I keep using to my own ends, like making my luxuries more effective, and voting for myself to get Diplomatic Victory points. My cities are safe, while ten percent of the world's land has submerged.

Then, my friend in Canada tells me he's about to finish his exoplanet project, and the lasers are pushing it out. I ask him how many turns, and he tells me only a few. Well, I had thermonuclear weapons still, and an itch to use them, so I moved jet bombers and deployed some against random city states, just to watch the explosions, nearly hitting my own territory in the process. The last turn hits, the space victory screen comes up, and Canada fucks off to space, leaving the cackling princess to her hell planet.

Gathering Storm is pretty great y'all.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Away all Goats posted:

Do you still have to make a decision whether to join or not without knowing if the other Civs will?

You do, but it seems like they rolled participation into a vote on whether or not an emergency happens at all. So if you're the only yes vote you're probably going to get canceled out by the target throwing out no votes, unless you blow a bunch of your diplomatic capital to force it to happen.

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki
The buff to walls is quite a thing.

Maybe I'm misremembering how mid-game land combat used to go, but after a while of at least 3 field cannons shooting a 15+ city with renaissance walls I'd done basically no damage (something like 270 out of 300 defense). Risky attacks with melee units didn't help because musketmen and cavalry just died instantly.

Crypto Cobain
Jun 17, 2018

by Reene

florida lan posted:

The buff to walls is quite a thing.

Maybe I'm misremembering how mid-game land combat used to go, but after a while of at least 3 field cannons shooting a 15+ city with renaissance walls I'd done basically no damage (something like 270 out of 300 defense). Risky attacks with melee units didn't help because musketmen and cavalry just died instantly.
You're supposed to be using bombards, field cannons are really meant to attack units. It's a bit counterintuitive I know.

Communist Bear
Oct 7, 2008

South Korea is in 1st place, making 223 science...per turn.

Chinese Empire is second with 76.

What. The. gently caress.

Crypto Cobain
Jun 17, 2018

by Reene

Communist Bear posted:

South Korea is in 1st place, making 223 science...per turn.

Chinese Empire is second with 76.

What. The. gently caress.
This is why many multiplayer games ban Korea.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

So asking around the internet it seems a lot of people are getting really weird and overly early and aggressive climate change. Like people without even any coal mines having the game report they're producing 70% of the world's greenhouse gasses leading to immediate sea level increase. Somethings a bit fucky.

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

The Ottoman unique adviser is crazy good. I had Alexander to the south of me and just built 6-7 spearmen and put the adviser in my nearby city and they chewed through him like nothing. Even my starting warrior was doing massive damage thanks to the adviser +10 combat skill. 10 tiles is insanely huge.

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

Baronjutter posted:

So asking around the internet it seems a lot of people are getting really weird and overly early and aggressive climate change. Like people without even any coal mines having the game report they're producing 70% of the world's greenhouse gasses leading to immediate sea level increase. Somethings a bit fucky.

Welllll the Little Ice Age was a thing.... but yeah that sounds fucky.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Baronjutter posted:

i warned you guys

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

So I'm pretty used to modding paradox games like stellaris and EU4 and so on, but I've never touched the newer civs. I'd love to dig into the new climate change mechanics and make it so sea levels don't budge until the very end of the climate change track, and also make it so units have little to no effect on climate change (seriously, a couple battleships causing global warming within a couple decades of them sailing around??)

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Alkeydere is right, Patchakuti and the Inca were my favorite faction in Civ V, and they're just as fun in Civ 6 even with their tweaked rules. Making trade routes through mountains is badass and I appreciate that building a terrace farm next to a mountain also makes the mountain itself give more resources.

Funny to me that Dido doesn't also get mountain noclip mode since she sure did in Civ V, but hey. I'm not sure what the point is of moving her capital, though?

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

Speedball posted:

Alkeydere is right, Patchakuti and the Inca were my favorite faction in Civ V, and they're just as fun in Civ 6 even with their tweaked rules. Making trade routes through mountains is badass and I appreciate that building a terrace farm next to a mountain also makes the mountain itself give more resources.

Funny to me that Dido doesn't also get mountain noclip mode since she sure did in Civ V, but hey. I'm not sure what the point is of moving her capital, though?

I assume you can use it for loyalty shenanigans

Crypto Cobain
Jun 17, 2018

by Reene

Speedball posted:

1. Get golden age
2. Move capital towards smaller enemy cities near your borders
3. Flip those cities to your empire

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

Speedball posted:

It took me until the medieval era to remember/realize that the terrace farms get +production if slapped next to an aqueduct or fresh water source which makes them so much better. Explained why the game was suggesting I slap them in so many places.

Also, Dido got the ability to just shove units over mountains (and take half damage) because she was Carthage's leader and the whole "Carthage shoving elephants across the Alps" things. Now Carthage has become Phoenicia and how often do you hear stories of Phoenicians shoving frozen, dying elephant carcasses across the Alps?

Baron Porkface
Jan 22, 2007

Im too hypnotized by the sun in the main menu to play the game.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

So I played 6 the least of any civ since 3. Does Storm push it into worth it territory?

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

victrix posted:

So I played 6 the least of any civ since 3. Does Storm push it into worth it territory?

It's been more worth it than 5 since before Rise & Fall but if you weren't on board then I doubt GS will change your mind.

Crypto Cobain
Jun 17, 2018

by Reene

victrix posted:

Yes, it's a huge change. I didn't like rise & fall much (I find the loyalty mechanic tedious), but storm improves EVERYTHING about the game.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Baronjutter posted:

I haven't seen any weird mystery CO2 results like this, but high level AI is actually quite good at turbofucking the planet so climate change goes straight from 0 to 60 once the AI industrializes.

skeleton warrior
Nov 12, 2016

Just finished a game as Inca and agree that Inca are way good and climate change drops off a cliff real quick- just about the time I got techs to switch away from coal, we hit the first sea level rise and were only a few turns away from the second, though those were the first two levels so maybe even worse stuff happens later

I’m also amused that armies and corps still only take 1 one whatever resource the unit takes. Given how little oil and aluminum is in the game, it definitely seems like it’s pushing you to have a small but focused force

Deceptive Thinker
Oct 5, 2005

I'll rip out your optics!

Straight White Shark posted:

I haven't seen any weird mystery CO2 results like this, but high level AI is actually quite good at turbofucking the planet so climate change goes straight from 0 to 60 once the AI industrializes.

I had one AI hit the information era while every other were in the modern era (one still barely in the industrial), climate went from level 2 to 8 in about 25 turns
I didn't even have time to get a single flood wall built, and hadn't even come close to any of the clean power options

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Is there a way to bring up the overlay that shows tile's flood risks and all that other than having a settler selected?

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Am I the only one underwhelmed by the effects of climate change? I played a game as the Inca where I chopped down every rainforest, most forests, and based my entire economy on burning coal, and at the end I'd gotten 3.5 meters of sea rise which managed to flood maybe 15 tiles across the world, as far as I could tell from the UI. The only consequences I faced was a slight increase in the frequency of dust storms showing up to erase my Nazca lines. I even nuked Spain until every tile in their territory were glowing green and double-tapped any city with a population of above 10, which had no climatic or diplomatic consequences. There was a single world congress session where a couple civs voted to get as many thermonuclear devices as I had, but I quashed it with my ample stock of diplo points and had Korea's nukes decommissioned instead.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

Baronjutter posted:

Is there a way to bring up the overlay that shows tile's flood risks and all that other than having a settler selected?

Probably use the settler lens

Aerdan
Apr 14, 2012

Not Dennis NEDry

Baronjutter posted:

Use the Settler lens.

Kinda disappointing there isn't a map toggle for 'show tiles potentially affected by disasters', though.

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

Then you have a responsibility that no man has ever faced. You have your fear which could become reality, and you have Godzilla, which is reality.

victrix posted:

The impression I get from the thread is that GS is emphatically not like Civ 5's Brave New World, and if you do pay for it, it's a $40 patch at best. I'm just waiting for Civ 7 and a come-to-Jesus moment from Firaxis now.

Finally booted up the ole Colonization on DOS, and man, the UI back then was really simplistic.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Deceptive Thinker posted:

I had one AI hit the information era while every other were in the modern era (one still barely in the industrial), climate went from level 2 to 8 in about 25 turns
I didn't even have time to get a single flood wall built, and hadn't even come close to any of the clean power options

Ouch, and I thought it was pretty bad watching it go from 2->8 in like 40 turns.

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

Am I the only one underwhelmed by the effects of climate change? I played a game as the Inca where I chopped down every rainforest, most forests, and based my entire economy on burning coal, and at the end I'd gotten 3.5 meters of sea rise which managed to flood maybe 15 tiles across the world, as far as I could tell from the UI. The only consequences I faced was a slight increase in the frequency of dust storms showing up to erase my Nazca lines. I even nuked Spain until every tile in their territory were glowing green and double-tapped any city with a population of above 10, which had no climatic or diplomatic consequences. There was a single world congress session where a couple civs voted to get as many thermonuclear devices as I had, but I quashed it with my ample stock of diplo points and had Korea's nukes decommissioned instead.

I was seeing the world go in chunks of 25 tiles at a time, but it maxes out at 3 stages.

That seems to be the big issue--the thresholds are so small that an industrialized world will blow through them all long before any of the mitigation technologies come online, by which point the coastal lowlands are all gone and there's no point investing in green energy because there are no additional consequences. They should have had bigger, slower steps.

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

victrix posted:

Wait two weeks then check the thread's temperature. It's not going anywhere and 40$ is a decent chunk of change

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Communist Bear
Oct 7, 2008

Jippa posted:

I still play civ 5 regularly as a rainy sunday afternoon type of game. I think the expansions completely make it.

Is this the time to get civ 6? Is it on the same level as the 5 expansions?

It fixes alot of issues and has convinced me to move off civ 5 and onto civ 6.