Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

Just pour it directly into your gaping mouth-hole you decadent slut

CoolCab posted:

o'brien just wanted to gently caress with him a particular severe amount, the cruelty is the point.

I guess my question is, do they do that with all the thought-criminals and release them in the end, or was there something exceptional about Winston? It doesn't seem like there was.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.

Lurdiak posted:

Wormwood is currently on the imgur front page.

If anyone has an account, please report this poo poo.

My Face When
Nov 28, 2012

Hide your healthcare.
Hide your wife.

If we had a tech bro for president, it'd really be Bill Gates.

Probably a reason why he hasn't.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!

Jurgan posted:

That was one thing I never understood about the original 1984: why wasn't Winston killed? O'Brien specifically said they killed thought criminals after getting them to repent, so why did they let Winston go? Was it a metaphorical death, like "we killed your individuality?" Was there something special about Winston that merited extra attention? I think O'Brien implied he was different somehow.

Recall that O'Brien told him, back in the Ministry of Love, that they'd never let him die until they'd completely erased him and refilled his hollow shell with themselves, and even then they might not actually end his physical existence because they wouldn't need to. "Winston Smith" would inevitably die, regardless of whether or not they actually killed his body.

quote:

"Do not imagine that you will save yourself, Winston, however completely you surrender to us. No one who has once gone astray is ever spared. And even if we chose to let you live out the natural term of your life, still you would never escape from us. What happens to you here is forever. Understand that in advance. We shall crush you down to the point from which there is no coming back. Things will happen to you from which you could not recover, if you lived a thousand years. Never again will you be capable of ordinary human feeling. Everything will be dead inside you. Never again will you be capable of love, or friendship, or joy of living, or laughter, or curiosity, or courage, or integrity. You will be hollow. We shall squeeze you empty, and then we shall fill you with ourselves."

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

This reasoning is possible for forums user idonotlikepeas!

Jurgan posted:

That was one thing I never understood about the original 1984: why wasn't Winston killed? O'Brien specifically said they killed thought criminals after getting them to repent, so why did they let Winston go? Was it a metaphorical death, like "we killed your individuality?" Was there something special about Winston that merited extra attention? I think O'Brien implied he was different somehow.

He was killed, even though the story ends before it happens. That's largely the point of the second-to-last paragraph.

1984 posted:

The voice from the telescreen was still pouring forth its tale of prisoners and booty and slaughter, but the shouting outside had died down a little. The waiters were turning back to their work. One of them approached with the gin bottle. Winston, sitting in a blissful dream, paid no attention as his glass was filled up. He was not running or cheering any longer. He was back in the Ministry of Love, with everything forgiven, his soul white as snow. He was in the public dock, confessing everything, implicating everybody. He was walking down the white-tiled corridor, with the feeling of walking in sunlight, and an armed guard at his back. The long-hoped-for bullet was entering his brain.

At the end of the story, there is no longer any difference between his life and his death. He sees his whole past and future laid out in front of him all at once, up to the point where he is finally assassinated, and then:

1984 posted:

He gazed up at the enormous face. Forty years it had taken him to learn what kind of smile was hidden beneath the dark mustache. O cruel, needless misunderstanding! O stubborn, self-willed exile from the loving breast! Two gin-scented tears trickled down the sides of his nose. But it was all right, everything was all right, the struggle was finished. He had won the victory over himself. He loved Big Brother.

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Happily shilling for China!

D.N. Nation posted:

OK, thing about the Howard Schultz "campaign" is that he's a milquetoast uber-rich doof who blathers "we need to cut government waste" and "both sides need to come together" and every warmed-over, inch-deep political hot take and....every demographic group thinks he sucks. So it we can probably point and laugh at the coffee man's doomed run and not think we're tempting fate.

BUT, what happens when Our Techbro Betters like the above get old enough to run for the WH, and baffle the masses with more interesting bullshit? Oh man, this candidate says he's going to remix America's talent base, bestill my heart! I'm scared. Should I be scared?

By that point there will be zero novelty or "FUTURE ECONOMY" feel about them. They will just be business guys same as any others.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

Jurgan posted:

Jurgan posted:

I guess my question is, do they do that with all the thought-criminals and release them in the end, or was there something exceptional about Winston? It doesn't seem like there was.

The Party doesn't need to kill them. There's no point- they're already branded as state criminals and no-one who could ever become a threat to Ingsoc will speak to them. Ingsoc controls all of its rebellion, fosters it, uses it to sustain itself by showing the failure of that rebellion to its members; anyone seeking rebellion will try all that much harder to blend in in order to bide time, and that's plenty of time for the Party to recognise the signs, pick them up, torture them, brand them as state criminals, and churn them out into the streets. All that matters is that everyone accepts that the state criminals have been executed, because under Newspeak there is no word for someone who does not exist anymore. Unperson is the act of removal, but there is no noun for what remains, and knowing about someone who has been unpersoned is itself grounds to be unpersoned. So everyone will say they don't know a single thing about that unperson. Winston doesn't need to die anymore because Winston has no will to fight anymore. He didn't exist, he doesn't exist, and he won't exist.

idonotlikepeas posted:

He was killed, even though the story ends before it happens. That's largely the point of the second-to-last paragraph.

At the end of the story, there is no longer any difference between his life and his death. He sees his whole past and future laid out in front of him all at once, up to the point where he is finally assassinated, and then:

After O'Brien's speech equating controlling thought with controlling reality, particularly the bit where he says that he could loving fly if everyone watching him believed that he could, I take everything that they both say with a massive grain of salt. O'Brien is loving crazy and mostly wrong, but he doesn't need to be right in order for Winston to accept what he's saying; Winston just needs to believe the madness. And Winston doesn't necessarily die, despite what that paragraph says. He just thinks about it while getting completely smashed on bottomless free gin, because he would prefer an execution to what he's currently got going on. Why do you think the Party would give him that pleasure? "Executed" criminals walking around in broad daylight is an opportunity for the Party to reinforce doublethink among its members and promote the idea that the Party controls reality.

Basically I refuse to take the official Party stance as anything other than an attempt to continue the Party's existence despite everyone involved thinking it should end. It is straining every resource in order to continue existing despite a 100% rebellion rating among its faithful.

Somfin fucked around with this message at 23:19 on Feb 16, 2019

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Jurgan posted:

They do it with all of them. Remember that Winston recalls seeing three fallen principals of the Revolution in a cafe after they confessed, but before they were purged. Minor boat-rockers like Syme, who states the truth about Newspeak (that it is designed to restrict thought, not to simplify the language as is claimed), simply disappear and everyone is expected to forget them. But in dealing with thought criminals it's more important for the Party to control people's thoughts. So thought criminals are released before they are executed and it's made sure they are seen, because the Party want everyone to know what happened to them but to make themselves forget lest they commit thoughtcrime as well.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Whenever Stantis gets smug over the primary, remember that, of all the GOP candidates, his pick was CARLY FIORINA.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Pants Donkey posted:

Whenever Stantis gets smug over the primary, remember that, of all the GOP candidates, his pick was CARLY FIORINA.

"Three pages...." she hisses from some dark, forgotten cave. "Three pages....."

From a deeper, even more forgotten cave barely audible above the sound of a gameboy low on batteries comes the plaintive wail of,"9 9 9....."

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Jurgan posted:

Something I got from 1984 was that Winston's take was supposed to be unreliable. He's told he's going to be killed but what's the point? He likes big brother now. Here's exactly where the party needs him to be.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

HootTheOwl posted:

Something I got from 1984 was that Winston's take was supposed to be unreliable. He's told he's going to be killed but what's the point? He likes big brother now. Here's exactly where the party needs him to be.

In a totalitarian society the one freedom you can have is to be free inside your own head. Thoughtcrime is so important to the Party because they want to remove all freedom, and your thoughts are the one thing they can never truly know. Thus, as O'Brien says to Winston, it is a crime that can never be forgiven.

Apple Pie Hubbub
Feb 14, 2012

Take that, you greedy jerk!

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

The logical conclusion one day is that Earth will be barreling into a sun about to devour it and the sun will be labeled debt.

RPZip
Feb 6, 2009

WORDS IN THE HEART
CANNOT BE TAKEN

Weird, wonder what made the income go down and the deficit increase while the Republicans held all three elected branches of government.

Nevertheless, it's an extremely important problem now so you'd better not think of any spending!

e: Actually, when was the last time we started getting DEBT cartoons? Was it prior to Trump's election or am I not remembering it correctly.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

Yessssss

KillerJunglist
May 22, 2007

Lion of Judah protect you, Jah be praised.

Dumb hic thinks new green deal will ban air travel and cow farts. Cow can't believe what she is hearing.

I'm sure JRRose! Didn't attempt to understand the new green deal in the least, he just heard "cow" and had to make that pun.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Fyi, talk radio absolutely seems to be blaming AOC for Amazon fleeing NYC.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Pants Donkey posted:

Fyi, talk radio absolutely seems to be blaming AOC for Amazon fleeing NYC.
Of course they are, and also lots of people who wanted them gone are giving her credit, which she is rejecting.

I think she might be pretty good at this.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Discendo Vox posted:

If anyone has an account, please report this poo poo.

I have already but it's difficult to get things banned by association per reddit-like rules. And imgur is definitely fine with overt racism as long as it's not literally talking about the great replacement or something.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

Discendo Vox posted:

Close your eyes and visualize the Musk administration.

I could do that, but I’d rather be able to sleep tonight.

I’m always in awe of how terrible Rose’s joke attempts are.

“Thing I intentionally misinterpreted happened!”
“Response that doesn’t even qualify as a pun!”

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

Just pour it directly into your gaping mouth-hole you decadent slut

This, right here. There’s no accountability for right-wing hacks making failed predictions. You’ve been predicting a debtpocalypse for over a decade, and for what? What has happened? Yes, the number has gotten bigger, but so what? How has it affected your life or the life of anyone around you? The truth is it doesn’t matter what the number is for this argument- if it were one trillion you would say the same thing. It’s more money than anyone will see in a lifetime, so you can say it’s so big it must be dealt with. It doesn’t matter in the slightest whether it’s actually a danger, as long as you have something to point at when people start suggesting that maybe we should spend money to make people’s lives better.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Jurgan posted:

This, right here. There’s no accountability for right-wing hacks making failed predictions. You’ve been predicting a debtpocalypse for over a decade, and for what? What has happened? Yes, the number has gotten bigger, but so what? How has it affected your life or the life of anyone around you? The truth is it doesn’t matter what the number is for this argument- if it were one trillion you would say the same thing. It’s more money than anyone will see in a lifetime, so you can say it’s so big it must be dealt with. It doesn’t matter in the slightest whether it’s actually a danger, as long as you have something to point at when people start suggesting that maybe we should spend money to make people’s lives better.
This may be a dangerous path to go down since global warming also isn’t going to affect Ramirez or any of his rich rear end in a top hat friends besides maybe having freak weather cancelling a flight. A huge problem with, well, our huge problems is that the grossly wealthy are largely shielded from their negative effects.

BiggerJ
May 21, 2007

What shall we do with him? A permaban, perhaps? Probate him for a few years? Or...shall we employ a big red custom title? You, the goons of SA, shall decide his fate.

Pants Donkey posted:

This may be a dangerous path to go down since global warming also isn’t going to affect Ramirez or any of his rich rear end in a top hat friends besides maybe having freak weather cancelling a flight. A huge problem with, well, our huge problems is that the grossly wealthy are largely shielded from their negative effects.

Fittingly, Tom the Dancing Bug recently reprinted this classic.

Sandpuppy
Jun 16, 2012

Social Abscess
of the
Universe

Pants Donkey posted:

And then came the whirlwind romance with Gary Johnson.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
That's weird. Why would the thing inside the case be labeled with the type of emergency?

Edit: also the only reason I can imagine the GOP doing this is because they don't intend there to be a next president.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Jesus Christ Kal

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

New York is full of savages that don't know what's good for them.

So many levels of being lovely there, Mr. Beats-His-Wife-and-Lies-to-the-Cops-About-It.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Gaybies Nomination: Overall Worst Cartoon

I mean...just...gently caress, this cartoon is extra vile.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Samurai Sanders posted:

That's weird. Why would the thing inside the case be labeled with the type of emergency?

Edit: also the only reason I can imagine the GOP doing this is because they don't intend there to be a next president.

It's another Baba Vanga moment, to be sure.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost
Did someone say vile?

2024 read-along: Rallston's influential tweet

Rallston edits something somewhere, making punk singer Stiv Bators into a winner of the Nobel Peace Prize in 1989, taking the award away from the non-white 14th Dalai Lama and handing it to some white singer that Rall likes. He also makes Bil Keane, of Family Circus fame, into a winner of the Pulitzer prize, though he doesn't specify a year. At some later point, but importantly within the space of a month, this edit has changed the world; everyone knows about this dude, everyone loves him, people are referring to him the way they talk about Jesus, he's being taught about in schools, and Rallston has already forgotten that he was the cause of it. This seems like something he could have noted down if he was so concerned about his memory. Remember how his memory problem was such a massive thing that he was buying bootleg memory enhancers and it got a full-page spread about how he couldn't remember anything and he plays memory games with himself during exercise? Yeah. Seems like if he just kept a journal this could be solved. Like, even an online one.

Also, I have no idea what is going on at that Escher-rear end schoolroom, but the perspective is impressively bad.

Some girl at a shop Rallston is in thinks he's cute. Remember how Winston in 1984 is a thinning-haired, sickly 39-year-old with ulcers? Yeah, Rall abruptly dives into omniscient perspective to tell us what an unnamed character is thinking. She's wearing a cross, which probably doesn't signify anything since Rall wasn't quite bold enough to throw the evangelicals into the corporate government hybrid.

Anyway, this is never brought up again nor used to anyone's advantage. Just, like, edit a thing, bam, everyone instantly knows about it and that bit of history goes inexplicably viral overnight until it's a new religion.

This when we've been told that there are over two hundred thousand separate articles about famous people. I can't actually tell if Rall is letting Rallston get stupid lucky here or if this is genuinely how Rall thinks that an edit to such a massive pool of data would go. Is this some sort of core "truth" database that literally all other articles draw from? What happened to the Dalai Lama's Nobel Peace Prize, Rall?

Anyway, time to meet Syme.

"Buddy" Syme.

Syme is the corporate government stooge Rallston is being contrasted with in order to show that no he's not actually bought in, this guy has bought in, and no Rallston's not actually in full rebellion, he's just found the ~*reasonable centre*~ between those two obviously equal and opposite points. He reads like a straw man of himself. Big into sports, which, as we know, Rallston doesn't like all that much. Loves watching people be executed on the justice channel, which we don't know Rallston's opinion on. Works in Newspeak. No, not actual Newspeak. We're in Ralltopia now.

Spellcheck. Spellcheck 2020, in fact. You know, that tool? The one that allows people to correct what they've written after writing it? Yeah, that's 2024 Newspeak. Doublethink is now Neopostmodernism, and Newspeak is now spellcheck. And spellcheck is gonna kill writing as a concept, because people will only need to remember small fragments of words in order to express themselves, rather than having to tediously memorise all of the contradictory laws of English. Five years before this story is set, I'm able to compose entire sentences simply by hinting to my phone what words I want it to use. If anything, I write more now than I ever did.

You remember that kid who got 100% grades on spelling tests in primary school and thought that meant he was super smart, then clung to that as he continued through life? Imagine that being so core to your identity that in 2001, at the ripe age of 35, you publish a remake of 1984 where spellcheck is the equivalent of deliberately forcing people to use fewer and fewer words so that they can no longer express sentiments that are rebellious or could otherwise cause people to question the nature of the system that rules them.

Just imagine that.

Rall turned 38 in 2001.

Somfin fucked around with this message at 11:04 on Feb 17, 2019

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
I just realized Rall is older than both of my parents and he tries to act like disenfranchised voice for *my* generation :psyduck:

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

Is there a generation that Tedd can be said to actually stand for? He's basically an aging boomer with the edginess of a 90's unwanted cartoon dog.

snack eater
Aug 25, 2018

by FactsAreUseless

RodShaft posted:

I'm surprised by the lack of girls in "Boy Scouts" comics considering how many people are losing their minds over it on my town's Facebook page.

there was last year when they made the announcement

Dr. Yinz Ljubljana
Nov 25, 2013

Angular Cyrus posted:

Chicago Tribune, 1952

This was in the comics section btw.

Throat ROUGH?

ah, you've discovered by adult film collection

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

Angular Cyrus posted:

Chicago Tribune, 1952

This was in the comics section btw.

This poo poo never ends. I had not even heard of juul until they started that ad blitz brought on by the government catching on that they were basically the official e-cigarette of children. So much so that they call vaping juuling.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Has Syme, the guy who won't stay away from Rallston and Rallston is so sick of this guy ALWAYS being around, actually been in this comic at all before this panel?

Tafferling
Oct 22, 2008

DOOT DOOT
ALL ABOARD THE ISS POLOKONZERVA

snack eater posted:

there was last year when they made the announcement

Is this pro or against? They both seem upstanding and well behaved kids... soo, pro?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum
So now both scouts actually sell something that people want.

Like, they do know such things as summer camps - WHERE BOYS AND GIRLS ARE AROUND - exist, right? Out of all the stupid old people bitch fonts, this in particular is just so utterly pointless.