Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
anime
.hack//Sign
.hack//Legend of the Twilight
.hack//Roots
View Results

HiveCommander
Jun 19, 2012

LibrarianCroaker posted:

The novel the manga is adapting eventually gets around to slave owning harem stuff, afaik the manga hasn't gotten that far yet. However it keeps emphasizing from the start that the main character is a grown rear end adult in his 30s in the body of a kid, which makes the romance with the girl his own age gross.

I may have just forgotten, but I don't actually remember there being much in the way of slavery in the series at all.

As for the 'curing his ED' arc, there's at least a reason behind why that came about since the girl who had been so interested in him at that point sleeps with him, then leaves in the middle of the night with basically no notice. That'd understandably make the guy think he was an absolute dud

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D
I don't call Harry Potter an isekai because that otherworld element isn't quite the same as the classic and modern examples. It's more urban fantasy where the magic world has been well established as having existed alongside the mundane for years. He also has a pre-established connection with said magical world too, being the boy who lived and all.

Most isekai MCs start off as normies and either stay that way or power up with cheats, knowledge to improve the world around them, etc. I guess you could broaden the definition and HP would sorta fit, but not very neatly. The otherworld is not separate and dimensions apart.

Compendium fucked around with this message at 11:15 on Feb 17, 2019

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

I wouldn't call Harry Potter an Isekai because I'm a pedant about sticking to definitions and the wizard world is in the exact same world as the one all the non-wizards are in. Same for Men in Black. Now, Space Jam? That's an Isekai.

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D
poo poo, you're right

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.
Seems like Mushoku Tensei is probably not up my alley then. Harems will usually kill most of my interest in a series and it doesn't sound like there's much that would make me want to look past it. That ED arc would've probably been the point I'd finish the volume and just set the series aside and forget about it.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum
That's probably the next Isekai genre fad, going into cartoon world you either are a super fan of just wanna be in because gently caress reality.

pezzie
Apr 11, 2003

everytime someone says a seasonal anime is GOAT

Just watch the best anime ever
I love the idea of a MC going on a quest to cure his ED

Herbotron
Feb 25, 2013

I didn't notice these being mentioned.

The Amber Sword

Guy gets transported into a world exactly like his favorite fantasy vrmmo, but before the events of the game take place so it ends up playing out as more of a "second chance" plot, if you're familiar with those. Game elements are a thing and I have less than zero patience for that poo poo at this point but it's pretty easy to scroll past those paragraphs. For some reason he also has MTG powers. :shrug:
The novel does a pretty good job of making it feel like the main character is just barely scraping by in terms of strength, despite being pretty dang strong there are threats that he simply can not deal with head on which force creative solutions or just running away. There's some fun politics stuff, the supporting cast is above average, but on the other hand the writing style is dreadful to read in the early chapters.

It's not my favorite wn but I haven't dropped it like I have so many others and I do think there are some fun/cool scenes and characters in it.

Trash of the Counts Family is a much better novel but I don't feel like doing a writeup for it. Just know that the protagonist is a huge tsundere which is very charming. Fantasy setting.

Library of Heavens Path It's an isekai even if that doesn't matter outside of the first few chapters but I like it so I'll post it dammit! It's a comedy cultivation thing. Only tells one joke but I keep finding it funny, ymmv.

khy
Aug 15, 2005

Mushoku Tensei creeped me out more than a bit. The MC was a fat japanese neet with a loli fetish before he got reincarnated, and he so some of the stuff he does is kinda out there.

When he's growing up he gets a crush on his magic teacher, steals her used panties, and treats them as a holy object.
Then when he finishes his 'cure ED' quest and bangs his childhood friend, he takes the sheet where her virgin's blood is, cuts out the bloody part, puts the bloody cloth and the stolen panties into a shrine in his basement, and literally worships them.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
:chloe:

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D
:yikes:

Anyway, there was this one fantasy shoujo manga where the girl ends up in fantasy world but doesn't speak the language and has to work her way to communicate with everyone.

I forgot the name, I remember it ending in a wholesome manner.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

khy posted:

Mushoku Tensei creeped me out more than a bit. The MC was a fat japanese neet with a loli fetish before he got reincarnated, and he so some of the stuff he does is kinda out there.

When he's growing up he gets a crush on his magic teacher, steals her used panties, and treats them as a holy object.
Then when he finishes his 'cure ED' quest and bangs his childhood friend, he takes the sheet where her virgin's blood is, cuts out the bloody part, puts the bloody cloth and the stolen panties into a shrine in his basement, and literally worships them.

Hahaha jesus christ. I've never actually read it, aside from being generally aware that it's an early isekai that defines a lot of the tropes of the genre.

Onean posted:

Seems like Mushoku Tensei is probably not up my alley then. Harems will usually kill most of my interest in a series and it doesn't sound like there's much that would make me want to look past it. That ED arc would've probably been the point I'd finish the volume and just set the series aside and forget about it.

Yeah, harems in isekai WNs - which tend to be even worse than their "normal" shounen romcom counterparts - always make things unreadable, because they never really let you forget that you're reading a power fantasy/wish fulfillment story. The most tragic example of this was the WN Sevens, which had the potential to be good but just couldn't resistant adding girls to the protagonist's harem in pretty much every arc.

It's a big reason why I could tolerate I'm a Spider So What; the protagonist may be "OP," but she occupies a different sort of role than the protagonists in most other isekai stories. The Slime series falls into a sort of middle area where it isn't quite the same as the series with "direct" harems, but there's still a clear element of "people/women adoring the protagonist" that isn't present as much in something like I'm a Spider So What.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

khy posted:

Yeah that's hosed up in every gross way. Like I knew a few things already from having read the manga a long rear end time ago and was weirded out by his rather blatant checking out his Isekai mom and their maid(later step-mom). I read some spoilers that mentioned the ED thing, but there was no mention of the panties or the blood thing which are just hosed up and grody.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
I just read a few chapters of this one and it was silly and funny, I'm not going to stick with it just because comedy doesn't hold my interest very long (I read about 10 chapters, had some laughs, I'm kinda done now) but it seemed decent. I think it's getting an anime soon as well.

Mairimashita! Iruma-kun
A kid is sold to a demon by his idiot parents but instead of being dinner or something horrible the demon just wants a grandson to dote on. He goes to demon school, antics ensue.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

doomrider7 posted:

Yeah that's hosed up in every gross way. Like I knew a few things already from having read the manga a long rear end time ago and was weirded out by his rather blatant checking out his Isekai mom and their maid(later step-mom). I read some spoilers that mentioned the ED thing, but there was no mention of the panties or the blood thing which are just hosed up and grody.

an adult in a baby's body, pretending to be a baby is an innately creepy concept. i'm not much of a fan of mushoku, but i think it treated that crap with exactly as much respect as it deserves. better reincarnation isekai gloss over that whole deal, or else have them recover their past life memories at a later age. by contrast, chinese wn's often have the mc steal the body of someone with the same name. i've always figured that is so they still have a family and place in society despite being a stranger from a different world, because it wouldn't do for a power fantasy to be uncomfortable. the name not changing is simply down to laziness.

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

Everything Burrito posted:

I just read a few chapters of this one and it was silly and funny, I'm not going to stick with it just because comedy doesn't hold my interest very long (I read about 10 chapters, had some laughs, I'm kinda done now) but it seemed decent. I think it's getting an anime soon as well.

Mairimashita! Iruma-kun
A kid is sold to a demon by his idiot parents but instead of being dinner or something horrible the demon just wants a grandson to dote on. He goes to demon school, antics ensue.

this one is good

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.
Oh, okay then. That's definitely going on the Don't Touch list.

Anora
Feb 16, 2014

I fuckin suck!🪠

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

an adult in a baby's body, pretending to be a baby is an innately creepy concept.

It could be interesting if framed in a way that adults don't really want to act like a baby, but how babies act is necessary for their survival. Like trying to talk to say they're hungry, but it not working so they have to force themselves to cry. Which could lead into other situations where after being grown up/as a kid they meet someone who steals to survive, but after having to go through being a baby they understand the other persons motivations better. Something like that. But it also doesn't sound like that story is "doing it right."

Don't forget a big reason isekais are huge now is MMOs. Lots of people are losing themselves in video games, and these stories are escapist fantasy that basically copies that.

RME
Feb 20, 2012

baby's day out but it takes place in another world instead of chicago

Pharohman777
Jan 14, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Mairimashita! Iruma-kun

It sounds like a much lighter version of The ancient magus's bride.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022

Pharohman777 posted:

It sounds like a much lighter version of The ancient magus's bride.

it's...nothing like that at all :what:

Pharohman777
Jan 14, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

it's...nothing like that at all :what:

Sorry, just 'person gets sold into magical world' is how ancient magus's bride starts, and that manga has a similar starting premise to it.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
It's very lighthearted for the most part unlike AMB, friend.

It's also great fun.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Wait a minute, is it an isekai if they go to another planet or does it have to be basically an entirely different universe like how most of them are like normal 21st century Earth and then you end up in the middle ages with dragons and poo poo?

Bakanogami
Dec 31, 2004

Grimey Drawer

RareAcumen posted:

Wait a minute, is it an isekai if they go to another planet or does it have to be basically an entirely different universe like how most of them are like normal 21st century Earth and then you end up in the middle ages with dragons and poo poo?

"isekai" literally just means "another world", you can take that as you will, there's no more exact definition than that.

I've seen it used whether it's another dimension, another planet, the distant future, and even sometimes for series that don't actually have a reincarnated character but share all the other genre tropes (Fantasy world with game elements and an OP protagonist, etc).

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Bakanogami posted:

"isekai" literally just means "another world", you can take that as you will, there's no more exact definition than that.

I've seen it used whether it's another dimension, another planet, the distant future, and even sometimes for series that don't actually have a reincarnated character but share all the other genre tropes (Fantasy world with game elements and an OP protagonist, etc).

Oh poo poo, Star Wars is probably the most popular Isekai series ever then!

khy
Aug 15, 2005

RareAcumen posted:

Oh poo poo, Star Wars is probably the most popular Isekai series ever then!

In a literal sense, probably.

In a much LESS literal sense, Isekai generally refers to the specific genre of someone from our world being reborn/transported/stuck in another world. Sometimes that other world is literally another planet or place, sometimes it's a virtual world like in SAO. Some people consider any 'reincarnation' to also be considered Isekai, such as the world's weakest crest or that one I mentioned a few pages back about the soldier who relives his life. But even those are severe edge cases. There's no clearly defined 'These are the rules something must follow to be Isekai' or anything like that.

Star Wars would be considered Isekai if there was a person from earth transported there, but other than that I doubt most people would consider it to be since it contains few if any of the tropes.

khy fucked around with this message at 10:31 on Feb 18, 2019

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
Okay, so what I'm getting from this is that Boku Wa Beatles is not an isekai because it's just time travel, but this upcoming movie is an isekai because it's a parallel world, complete with truck-san.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

RareAcumen posted:

mark twain is the original isekai novelist

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Do you want me to get the bat boss?

khy
Aug 15, 2005

Argue posted:

Okay, so what I'm getting from this is that Boku Wa Beatles is not an isekai because it's just time travel, but this upcoming movie is an isekai because it's a parallel world, complete with truck-san.

Like I say, there's no hard rules about it, but yeah - technically Boku Wa Beatles wouldn't be Isekai. People still kind of lump it in alongside Isekai because 'protagonist with modern knowledge in a less advanced time' is one of the most common plot tropes with Isekai though, even if that knowledge is only musical.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
Mio, My Son from 1954 is literally an isekai.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
Maybe the definition of isekai can be put in the first post and we can all kinda agree that it's pretty broad and a lot of stuff fits but then move on to actually talking about manga instead of continuing to beat the "[Common well-known work] is an isekai" dead horse. 

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Maybe the definition of isekai can be put in the first post and we can all kinda agree that it's pretty broad and a lot of stuff fits but then move on to actually talking about manga instead of continuing to beat the "[Common well-known work] is an isekai" dead horse. 

I dunno I want to see a Yankee in King Arthur's Court

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

thats in the op already, it tells you not to be a pedant.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

*smacks baseball bat against hands, with menace and purpose*

Nathilus
Apr 4, 2002

I alone can see through the media bias.

I'm also stupid on a scale that can only be measured in Reddits.
I like Knight's and Magic. The MC is hella op and most of the series is meaningless fluff but he's just so dang happy about living out his escaflowne magical-mechs power fantasy. It also contains almost zero romance/sexiness/fanservice, but hey nobody's perfect~ Finally, the narrative moves extremely fast, so unless you hate the premise or characters its hard to get bored when watching or reading it. The whole thing is an exercise in exuberance and I'm down.

Tensei Shitara Slime Datta Ken has also been entertaining me but I feel zero need to explain why since everyone and their dog has been talking about it. I would like to say though that the "promised one" story gave me the feels, and I really super like the first 10 or 15 seconds of OP 2 because of that. The way the piano plays off of the animations and the wistful melancholy of it is so nice. A lot like Knight's and Magic, the show is basically candy. But tasty candy.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Yeah but is it a roguelike or a roguelite

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines

The story of Jesus is an isekai