Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

his nibs posted:

#istandwithsaurus

It must be painful to have fallen out of the good graces because you were sometimes slightly realistic in what people were actually getting when they bought the product.

If only they knew that unfettered yes men are what CIG want and need. :allears:

Totally genuine real cat also looking to get involved in SC streaming

The Titanic fucked around with this message at 05:56 on Feb 17, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drunk Theory
Aug 20, 2016

Oven Wrangler
Thinking about it, it really is no surprise Rex is successful while the others are not.

Make believe game needs make believe streamer.

Agony Aunt
Apr 17, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

All that red bull probably explains why Rex is so hyper. The guy's stomach lining is going to hosed if he keeps drinking that poo poo though.

Agony Aunt
Apr 17, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Ponzi posted:

I think Tencent owns 10% of Frontier too.

9%... and yeah, its slightly concerning.

But they did miss a golden opportunity to get 10% though.

colonelwest
Jun 30, 2018

G0RF posted:

ANOTHER REXILLA RECAP

I’m sorry to keep dropping these in the thread, but I find this a legit fascinating plot complication. His ascent is just such a hugely disruptive force. He’s had some streamers welcome him (DTOX), some mock him (Twerk), be indignant about him (Baron) and or unsettled by him (Saurus). I saw Montoya(!) doing a test stream today, and it looked like he was experimenting with getting group battles going. I think one of the Daymar Rally guys was in Rex’s chat offering him $50 to be a racer in the next rally.

He’s 7 days a week, 4 hours a day, and for all practical purposes, he’s become the only Star Citizen streamer in town in less than 3 months.

Oh look, it’s a gift of 40 new subs. And 60 more. And 10 more. And 10 more.

REX: (reading from chat) “‘(Rex is) the best thing to happen to Star Citizen since OCS.’ Wait, what’s OCS?”

And 20 more.

”We did it! 2200!” (That’s 200 new subs in 3 days.)

”It really does blow games like Elite and Eve out of the water.”

morgunz_freedom (in chat): “I have been a backer since 2013 this is hands down the most active and entertaining org/stream in SC.”

An uninvited guest startles Rex, gets executed, T-Poses, then falls through the bottom of the ship.

And now a word from our sponsor, Red Bull.

:lol: They spent an hour prepping for an epic sunrise battle around a junkyard at sunrise and the server borked out only minutes after the kickoff.

”I’m stuck here without any ammo in this fight... because the drat game won’t let me equip any!”

In chat, as Rex is about to quit and log back in:

It's really amazing that after 7 years and 200 million dollars down the drain, anyone can still generate energy and enthusiasm for a broken pre-alpha in perpetual development hell. Even if its with the aid of every sleazy corporate trick in the book and its mostly just cannibalizing other streamers and gathering whats left of the community in one place, its still impressive that they've pulled it off. It came just in time too, as much of the community was asking themselves where the gameplay was, and realizing that they were in for at least 2 years of almost no progress for the PU. Now they can gather around and imagine the game is already amazing. Plus, his success is shaming the other streamers to tow CI's line and up their shilling to new heights.

Good for Rex, if I was more clever and devious I'd find a way to fleece CI's space whales too.

SomethingJones
Mar 6, 2016

<3
What's all this mean

quote:

On Monday, August 13, 2018, a U.S. federal trademark registration was filed for REXZILLA LEAGUE. The USPTO has given the REXZILLA LEAGUE trademark serial number of 88075878. The current federal status of this trademark filing is FINAL REFUSAL, PRIOR ISSUES NOT COMPLTELY RESOLVED. The correspondent listed for REXZILLA LEAGUE is (I removed personal info), . The REXZILLA LEAGUE trademark is filed in the category of Advertising, Business & Retail Services . The description provided to the USPTO for REXZILLA LEAGUE is Conducting live entertainment in the nature of games featuring arranging and conducting live interactive, gaming adventures, entertainment services, namely, arranging and conducting on-line competitions in the field of live games featuring teamwork, problem solving, and entertainment competitions and events; talent management of electronic game playing teams, electronic game players, electronic game coaches, advertising and promotional sponsorship of computer game competitions and events and all aforementioned services.

Rexzilla also owns a film/media company, I'll not link it for now.

Star Citizen streamer or CIG sponsored corporate advertising enterprise? You decide!

SomethingJones
Mar 6, 2016

<3
Polygon calls him "Star Citizen's Virtual Warlord" who is "changing the narrative"

I mean come on. Come on now. You can see what it is.

SomethingJones
Mar 6, 2016

<3
They'll run him full time and full tit playing that dreadful mess all year because they ran out of bullshit for the youtube shows ages ago.

Just watch. All year, a whole year of Rexzilla playing Star Citizen.

Unless it destroys him.

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat
The thing about "changing the narrative" of Star Citizen is that, at the end of the day, the game has a narrative of its own which in no way resembles the one that CIG's marketers are pushing. I'd love to see the look on a new backer's face when he realizes that all the poo poo he saw on Rexshilla's stream only happens on Rexshilla's stream

BluesShaman
Apr 25, 2016

She wore Blue Velvet.
Twitch requires streamers to disclose when they're being paid to stream (shill) a game.

I'm pretty sure REX doesn't do this.

Flared Basic Bitch
Feb 22, 2005

Invading your personal space since 1968.

quote:

Conducting live entertainment in the nature of games featuring arranging and conducting live interactive, gaming adventures

The gaming adventure is just beginning friends!

Except oops no game. :ssh:

Flared Basic Bitch
Feb 22, 2005

Invading your personal space since 1968.
Purveyor of finest gaming escapades, diversions, and phantasmagoria from the base to the sublime. The discerning commando settles for nothing less sir.

<Presents gilt edged business card with a flourish.>

The Rabbi T. White
Jul 17, 2008

BluesShaman posted:

Twitch requires streamers to disclose when they're being paid to stream (shill) a game.

Star Citizen is not a game, therefore nothing to disclose.

his nibs
Feb 27, 2016

:kayak:Welcome to the:kayak:
Dream Factory
:kayak:
Grimey Drawer
this Twitch streamer should take a leaf out of KingRex's shillbook

https://clips.twitch.tv/OutstandingSpinelessMageAMPEnergyCherry

SomethingJones
Mar 6, 2016

<3

BluesShaman posted:

Well, if he's not being paid the alternative explanation is he's really enjoying playing Star Citizen.

Which is great news for CIG, they finally found someone who enjoys playing their pre-alpha demo Cryengine mod that doesn't remotely work in any capacity whatsoever.

The other streamers sure as gently caress never enjoyed playing it.

Drunk Theory
Aug 20, 2016

Oven Wrangler
I mean. He's most likely not getting directly paid by CIG.

Now maybe his media company is, or maybe a portion of his sudden increase in subscriptions are coming from "private citizens", or maybe he's completely legit

What I am getting at is the "must disclose being paid" thing is easily circumvented, and we have no real way of knowing for sure.

Drunk Theory fucked around with this message at 10:49 on Feb 17, 2019

AbstractNapper
Jun 5, 2011

I can help
$40 million for marketing.

Virtual Captain
Feb 20, 2017

Archive Priest of the Stimperial Order

Star Citizen Good, in all things forevermore. Amen.
:pray:
https://twitter.com/Dowlphin/status/1097098952162328576

Wuxi
Apr 3, 2012

The best thing about Rex is that all the older SC streamer were hedging their bets on being first on the next big thing and getting traction and a following that way and nope, Rex shows up and kicks their teeth in, showing that even a modicum of talent is still enough to beat their asses and that they never had a chance to begin with.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

I mean they kept saying the first year, first three years, first five years didn't count. Those were early days, bitches, looks like you got rex'd while still in pre-alpha anyway.

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

colonelwest posted:

Oh and the whole Epic Store freakout that PC gamers are having is loving stupid. It’s completely understandable that other companies don’t want to hand over a big chunk of their revenue to Valve. Steam itself is an anachronistic piece of crap storefront that looks and operates like something from the late 2000’s, it blows my mind that anyone would want Valve to have a monopoly. Hell they only added a refund feature after loving EA had one on Origin for over a year.

I sort of disagree with this.
I think the real issue with it is how the publisher took pre-orders, then changed the platform last minute, supposedly even after some of the physical box covers had been printed. There are pictures floating around where people peel back stickers with the Epic store only to reveal the Steam logo underneath.
Had they done the switch to Epic earlier and just never taken pre-orders for a stated Steam release, or honored the people who pre-ordered the physical collector expecting it to be a Steam release (since that's what the marketing materials said), it probably would not have made people upset, as they wouldn't get the bait-and-switch impression of the whole thing.

I'm not saying the Steam store is great, either, but the Epic store is currently worse. I plan to buy Rebel Galaxy Outlaw on their store, but had they had basic things like reviews and other features that exist on both Steam and GOG, it would have been a less dumb situation.

Ramadu
Aug 25, 2004

2015 NFL MVP

wheres the lie

Ramadu
Aug 25, 2004

2015 NFL MVP

Bofast posted:

I sort of disagree with this.
I think the real issue with it is how the publisher took pre-orders, then changed the platform last minute, supposedly even after some of the physical box covers had been printed. There are pictures floating around where people peel back stickers with the Epic store only to reveal the Steam logo underneath.
Had they done the switch to Epic earlier and just never taken pre-orders for a stated Steam release, or honored the people who pre-ordered the physical collector expecting it to be a Steam release (since that's what the marketing materials said), it probably would not have made people upset, as they wouldn't get the bait-and-switch impression of the whole thing.

I'm not saying the Steam store is great, either, but the Epic store is currently worse. I plan to buy Rebel Galaxy Outlaw on their store, but had they had basic things like reviews and other features that exist on both Steam and GOG, it would have been a less dumb situation.

my dude it isnt even a supposedly

Virtual Captain
Feb 20, 2017

Beet Wagon posted:

It really bothers me for some reason when game idiots decide that their individual missions should be called 'chapters' which seems like what's going on here.

Anybody remember how many missions are supposed to be in episode one?

I was going to guess 42 but I guess the real answer is 70 missions as 20 hours of gameplay time.

More info:

Virtual Captain
Feb 20, 2017

Best of all. "Episode one is what people will play this year" ~Chris Roberts 2015 :woop:

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Ponzi posted:

I think Tencent owns 10% of Frontier too.

The own between 10 and 40% of most gaming companies, and if you halve that number, that’s the Chinese state’s take. Chinese companies are all half-owned by the state. Western countries that sign up in China are also half-owned by the state, which makes tax avoidance somewhat more difficult than usual.

Relax, and don’t re-use passwords.

Edit: just the inevitable consequence of those ‘made in China’ labels would be some of that capital coming back and owning the means of production.

Hav fucked around with this message at 14:25 on Feb 17, 2019

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Foo Diddley posted:

The thing about "changing the narrative" of Star Citizen is that, at the end of the day, the game has a narrative of its own which in no way resembles the one that CIG's marketers are pushing. I'd love to see the look on a new backer's face when he realizes that all the poo poo he saw on Rexshilla's stream only happens on Rexshilla's stream

It’s more that they’re very directly attempting to position Rexilla for those ‘sc warlord’ google searches.

One of the more interesting question is whether this is organic and he just found SC and started streaming because it was a massive opportunity, but for all those thing to be true, a lot of serendipity needs to take place, not the least of which is the competence and interest Venn sets intersecting to produce this effort.

There was a reason i was speculating about gently caress jerry/jerry media, because making something look organic and natural is quite a lot of work, especially if you’re herding cats.

So i’m going to tell people to stop speculating. They found themselves a gig-economy producer who’s filling that space between professional production and streaming just after getting themselves some walking around cash; of course they’re paying him.

They’re also arcing too quickly again, and this guy will burn out before release.

Morphix
May 21, 2003

by Reene

Sandweed
Sep 7, 2006

All your friends are me.

Scruffpuff posted:

Chapter 1: A Modest Proposal
Chapter 2: Windfall
Chapter 3: Motion Capture
Chapter 4: Boisterous Bragging
Chapter 5: Let's Get This Done
Chapter 6: What Are We Doing
Chapter 7: Wait You Promised What?
Chapter 8: The Veterans Retreat
Chapter 9: The Hunt For Employees
Chapter 10: New Blood
Chapter 11: The Road Map
Chapter 12: [REDACTED] Doesn't Work Either
Chapter 13: A New Road Map
Chapter 14: Fire All The [REDACTED]
Chapter 15: Refactoring The Road Map
Chapter 16: Stealing More Money
Chapter 17: The Secret Benefactors
Chapter 18: The Twitch Switch
Chapter 19A: Out Of Cash
Chapter 19B: Take The Money And Run
Chapter 20: Begin The Design Phase

21: Banu Merchantman flyable in the PU

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Some galactic defender you are, Space Cadet.

Drunk Theory posted:

I mean. He's most likely not getting directly paid by CIG.

I assume the same.

It’s easier for me to believe that CIG has engaged Red Bull Gaming in some cross-promotional marketing deal. The Rexzilla/Red Bull connection is established and disclosed, with Rex on the Red Bull eSports side.

https://twitter.com/redbullesports/status/1057272232542699521

Red Bull Gaming chose to spotlight Star Citizen with this lovely telling of the Star Citizen story. It was shot in October and dropped in late January.

Rex started talking about Star Citizen in November.

https://twitter.com/Rexzilla/status/1065660606697607168

He had his formula down fast:

https://twitter.com/Rexzilla/status/1068376613392457728
https://twitter.com/Rexzilla/status/1069468537444552705

Declared his intent to go heavy in early December:

https://twitter.com/Rexzilla/status/1070197090133803009

He was going full steam in no time with 4 hour streams nearly every day since. Later that month he was included in a Business Insider writeup about Star Citizen. Note that the Calder investment story broke at this time, too.

https://twitter.com/OrionRedacted/status/1076318123551145984

The Red Bull eSports guy was anointed the hero Star Citizens didn’t know they needed by Polygon on January 28th, the same day Red Bull Gaming dropped their Star Citizen documentary.

It all looks like a deftly planned and executed marketing/pr push, of the sort we haven’t ever seen from CIG. Nick Shepard is probably driving a lot of it, and Red Bull’s amorphous game marketing enterprise is probably getting paid directly. If that’s what it is, I’d say that’s Calder money being put to good use.

As for Rex, he’s a genuine talent delivering a far more engaging Star Citizen experience than the game does. Some of the “sub trains” may be kicked off by CIG parties, but Rex is a master at whipping up his viewers and he’s earning whatever money Star Citizens are throwing his way. Red Bull, too.

Sandweed
Sep 7, 2006

All your friends are me.

colonelwest posted:

It's really amazing that after 7 years and 200 million dollars down the drain, anyone can still generate energy and enthusiasm for a broken pre-alpha in perpetual development hell. Even if its with the aid of every sleazy corporate trick in the book and its mostly just cannibalizing other streamers and gathering whats left of the community in one place, its still impressive that they've pulled it off. It came just in time too, as much of the community was asking themselves where the gameplay was, and realizing that they were in for at least 2 years of almost no progress for the PU. Now they can gather around and imagine the game is already amazing. Plus, his success is shaming the other streamers to tow CI's line and up their shilling to new heights.

Good for Rex, if I was more clever and devious I'd find a way to fleece CI's space whales too.

I was gonna say these numbers seem to random and are probably fake, but I bet most of the fans are not donating in Dollars.

Agony Aunt
Apr 17, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

BluesShaman posted:

The red bull logo is pretty much disclosure though. As Gorf said, its probably some sort of cross-marketing deal.

Agony Aunt
Apr 17, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

SomethingJones posted:

They'll run him full time and full tit playing that dreadful mess all year because they ran out of bullshit for the youtube shows ages ago.

Just watch. All year, a whole year of Rexzilla playing Star Citizen.

Unless it destroys him.

I do wonder how long he can keep it up and how long all but the most ardent of followers will keep watching or getting involved.

I mean, as long as he keeps drinking the red bull, i'm sure he will have the energy (at least until he goes into hospital for his stomach repairing), but SC is pretty limited in what you can do... streamers have to keep things fresh and interesting for viewers. How many months will they watch someone marching up and down giving orders and then yet another FPS battle?

Also... someone has given him 3000 dollary doos? For streaming? FFS... i'm in the wrong business.

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?

Nearly every bullet point on this pic is completely loving meaningless, and something nobody cares about. The line about dogfighting is the only one that matters to a game, and it says the least.

Agony Aunt
Apr 17, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
So, here's a thought... what happens if backers start throwing their money at Rex instead of CI!G, resulting in funds drying up for SC/SQ42, and therefore Rex being responsible for the collapse of CI!G.

Golli
Jan 5, 2013

G0RF posted:

I assume the same.

It’s easier for me to believe that CIG has engaged Red Bull Gaming in some cross-promotional marketing deal. The Rexzilla/Red Bull connection is established and disclosed, with Rex on the Red Bull eSports side.

<tweets>

The Red Bull eSports guy was anointed the hero Star Citizens didn’t know they needed by Polygon on January 28th, the same day Red Bull Gaming dropped their Star Citizen documentary.

It all looks like a deftly planned and executed marketing/pr push, of the sort we haven’t ever seen from CIG. Nick Shepard is probably driving a lot of it, and Red Bull’s amorphous game marketing enterprise is probably getting paid directly. If that’s what it is, I’d say that’s Calder money being put to good use.

As for Rex, he’s a genuine talent delivering a far more engaging Star Citizen experience than the game does. Some of the “sub trains” may be kicked off by CIG parties, but Rex is a master at whipping up his viewers and he’s earning whatever money Star Citizens are throwing his way. Red Bull, too.

Don't forget the Forbes article written by this guy.

I wouldn't be surprised is there was a pre-existing Calder-Redbull eSports relationship that we don't know about yet.

Golli fucked around with this message at 17:16 on Feb 17, 2019

Dementropy
Aug 23, 2010

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Agony Aunt posted:

So, here's a thought... what happens if backers start throwing their money at Rex instead of CI!G, resulting in funds drying up for SC/SQ42, and therefore Rex being responsible for the collapse of CI!G.

Backers are generally loving misers who spend all their money in ships and ships only. A haircut for the wife? Decadence!

Every dollar spent in subscriptions and whatnot is one less dollar not spent in tugging boats.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Virtual Captain posted:

I was going to guess 42 but I guess the real answer is 70 missions as 20 hours of gameplay time.

More info:

All of this sounds good, but veteran game studios that have made similar open world games took decades before they amassed the talent and resources necessary to create their games. CIG can't pull this off as their first ever title.