Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I’ve played real golf, it’s hard to explain but you get a sense for the weight of the entire club going up behind your head as you swing and it feels like an extension of your arm so to speak. In VR, as someone who loves VR, you lose that and your subconscious sense of posture and motion suffers for it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Solution - attach controller to actual club and swing it inside your tiny room as you play VR

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

Edit: ^^^ loving seconds...

Taintrunner posted:

I’ve played real golf, it’s hard to explain but you get a sense for the weight of the entire club going up behind your head as you swing and it feels like an extension of your arm so to speak. In VR, as someone who loves VR, you lose that and your subconscious sense of posture and motion suffers for it.
Tape your PS Move to a golf club.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club
There is some real cognitive dissonance in The Division. Like, I just murdered three people for looting a store, and now I went in and looted the store. The game begins with this idea that we're good guys, but it immediately... like, it doesn't drop the premise, but nothing about what we're doing is good. Which is fine in a game like Borderlands, in which everything is insane, but this game is grounded partly in a realistic setting.

Steve Yun posted:

Does the game eventually tell you that you’re the bad guy at least, despite characters in game telling you that you’re the good guy

I'm only level 3, but if that turns out to be a "plot twist" I'm going to be very confused. It's like if the plot twist to Star Wars was that on route to the Death Star they revealed that they're there to blow up the Death Star.

credburn fucked around with this message at 12:13 on Feb 17, 2019

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Does the game eventually tell you that you’re the bad guy at least, despite characters in game telling you that you’re the good guy

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Steve Yun posted:

The morality of the Division is pretty grey and it decidedly does not finish on a "you were the hero we all needed" note.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

Steve Yun posted:

That's a big point in the game

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

You shoot the bad guys FIRST before you steal

Then you go outside and shoot a dog
But maybe the dog has rabies...

Thankfully in Division 2 they've upgraded it, so you're shooting robot dogs now.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

But to be fair it tells the story of a world post-collapse, so you're not exactly going to be leaving money for all the bottles of water you find around the place.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

The central thesis of The Division being "in the absence of order, the wolves will prey on the weak" and then encapsulating that entire conceit in a lawless loot shooter where players kill each other over and over for increasingly rarer chances at an incremental upgrade is kind of brilliant, in a way.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Alright I’m sold maybe I’ll pick it up on sale

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Yeah the story by itself is a fairly standard post-apocalyptic setup, but then you tack MMO features in and you just have to embrace your sense of disbelief; otherwise it gets really wacky

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Sakurazuka posted:

The giant armoured grey aliens in EDF 5 can get tae gently caress

Saky, you gotta use a continuous beam laser on the Diver to stun lock them and knock off their helmets while someone else shoots them for damage

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Steve Yun posted:

Is silent hill 1 worth playing or should I just skip to 2
Silent Hill 1 is still the only video game I would call legitimately scary. SH2 is an overall better game and is certainly atmospheric and haunting, but there were things in SH1 that made my skin crawl in a way no other video game has accomplished.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

The 7th Guest posted:

theres also not a mario golf on switch yet and thats f*cked up

what is camelot even doing right now
they're still updating mario tennis

they only have like 30 employees or smth so i imagine that game's dlc cycle is taking up most of their resources

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Nate RFB posted:

Silent Hill 1 is still the only video game I would call legitimately scary. SH2 is an overall better game and is certainly atmospheric and haunting, but there were things in SH1 that made my skin crawl in a way no other video game has accomplished.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ss67ho-5obA

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

https://twitter.com/Yarumasi/status/1096982241190789120

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Im sorry what the gently caress

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Viral advertising has gotten really extreme nowadays.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Devil May Live

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Ok I had an anxiety dream about my Switch purchase

Does breath of the wild feel good to play on handheld mode? I’m worried that it’ll feel weird and that it’ll be hard to see stuff

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

exquisite tea posted:

The central thesis of The Division being "in the absence of order, the wolves will prey on the weak" and then encapsulating that entire conceit in a lawless loot shooter where players kill each other over and over for increasingly rarer chances at an incremental upgrade is kind of brilliant, in a way.

Division 2 made it's enemy factions into much more clear-cut bad guys, which I hope doesn't dilute the feeling that the Division aren't exactly heroes too much. When you're defending a fledgling civilian settlement from actual Fallout-style raiders or stopping some sovereign citizen militia from publicly executing a civilian it's hard to feel morally conflicted about it.

Harrow fucked around with this message at 15:00 on Feb 17, 2019

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Jay Rust posted:

Does breath of the wild feel good to play on handheld mode? I’m worried that it’ll feel weird and that it’ll be hard to see stuff

Yeah it feels way better than it has any right to. I'd personally recommend saving new areas or story important stuff for the big screen though.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Harrow posted:

Division 2 made it's enemy factions into much more clear-cut bad guys, which I hope doesn't dilute the feeling that the Division aren't exactly heroes too much. When you're defending a fledgling civilian settlement from actual Fallout-style raiders it's hard to feel morally conflicted about it.

I hope it's revealed that the Black Tusk faction that invades at the end of The Division 2 were all the hardcore raiders from NYC who acquired their future tech from grinding Dark Zone drops.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Jay Rust posted:

I played the entire game in handheld mode, it's perfectly fine. I'm not sure if this is implying you have not played a lot of things in handheld mode in general but the fidelity of that screen is amazing and things pop really well on it. Zelda is also supposed to run a little better framerate-wise in some sections in handheld, though for all I know that's been fixed by now.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Get this, the small screen can be as big as you want just move your hands closer to your face :ssh:

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Nate RFB posted:

I played the entire game in handheld mode, it's perfectly fine. I'm not sure if this is implying you have not played a lot of things in handheld mode in general but the fidelity of that screen is amazing and things pop really well on it. Zelda is also supposed to run a little better framerate-wise in some sections in handheld, though for all I know that's been fixed by now.

The Lost Woods absolutely tanks the framerate in docked mode. I can't believe they released it like that and never fixed it.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Okay that’s reassuring, thank you. It’s just that my tv is maybe twenty years old at this point and I don’t think it even has the proper jacks for modern consoles

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Do they make hdmi to r/f connectors?

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Real hurthling! posted:

Get this, the small screen can be as big as you want just move your hands closer to your face :ssh:

The Switch screen is 720p and it uses less processing power in handheld mode so there is a real difference in quality

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

?

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Its fine

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

The handheld image looks a lot sharper at the length you typically hold it away from your face than 900p on a blown-up monitor.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

My Switch is used almost exclusively in handheld mode and it's great

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

i wouldn’t play botw in handheld mode but i do play like picross and junk on the small screen

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
The only game I have gone out of my way to play docked (besides multiplayer games with company) is Odyssey because of the motion controls on some moves.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Nate RFB posted:

The only game I have gone out of my way to play docked (besides multiplayer games with company) is Odyssey because of the motion controls on some moves.

99% of Odyssey is fine handheld too

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

oddium posted:

i wouldn’t play botw in handheld mode but i do play like picross and junk on the small screen

Yeah this is my stance, 3D exploration games I wouldn't want to play handheld but I jam Tetris-type games, and even stuff like Mario Tennis/Smash on it handheld is great.

I think I'm gonna buy Wargroove today

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

I want to buy spyro but its still 30+ tax on sale and gently caress that, activision

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Real hurthling! posted:

I want to buy spyro but its still 30+ tax on sale and gently caress that, activision

Its 3 extremely good games with complete graphics overhaul with lots of efforts put in. Its worth it at 30