Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

"...creating a vision of the sort of society you want to have in miniature"
Annie awards were tonight.

Spider-verse won, err, pretty much everything.

Basically it won all seven awards it was up for.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
God I hope it takes the Oscar for Best Animated.
The competition is just so... blah.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

theblackw0lf posted:

Warranted.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

FilthyImp posted:

God I hope it takes the Oscar for Best Animated.
The competition is just so... blah.

Best Animated exists specifically for cases like this, so the Oscars don't have to acknowledge animated movies that deserve Best Picture.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

theblackw0lf posted:

It should have been up for best soundtrack too.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Lets not forget how Boss Baby was nominated for Best Animated

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

Augus posted:

Lets not forget how Boss Baby was nominated for Best Animated

Wasn’t that over some pretty highly acclaimed animated movies that year?

Waffleopolis
Apr 24, 2005

It's time....for the MAIN event!
I watched Spider-Verse yesterday. It was great, and I noticed something about someone's character design that no one has brought up.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Waffleopolis posted:

I watched Spider-Verse yesterday. It was great, and I noticed something about someone's character design that no one has brought up.

Naw that was brought up months ago

Iron Twinkie posted:

This movie was absolutely fantastic and its visual style was amazing but the one detail in its character design I can't stop grinning about is Doc Oc's hair bun giving her the silhouette like an actual octopus.

Waffleopolis
Apr 24, 2005

It's time....for the MAIN event!

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Naw that was brought up months ago

Oh neat! I really hope Marvel puts them in the comics.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
It's an insanely clever design choice and I'm legitimately surprised that no one had thought of it before.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Spider-Verse won the BAFTA for best animated film. :britain:

wuffles
Apr 10, 2004

kidcoelacanth posted:

I finally saw this today. Never really cared about superhero stuff but everyone raving about the animation sucked me in. Turns out it's maybe the greatest visual experience I've ever had. Anyway that's my book report.

its really that good. its been awhile since I've gone to the theater for multiple viewings of the same film.

SirSamVimes posted:

Best Animated exists specifically for cases like this, so the Oscars don't have to acknowledge animated movies that deserve Best Picture.

yeah I know, but its better than not having it recognized at all, which is what would happen if not for the animation category. sadly.

in a tangentially related note--Incredibles 2 shows up on my Apple TV under action movies, not kids and family. and like, I know its brad bird that pushed for that probably--and by in large I agree with him that animation is a medium not a genre--but ALL the other animated movies (including The Incredibles) is under Kids & Family. c'mon man.

I hope Spider-Verse wins the Oscar. It just has to.

Yellow Ant
Feb 28, 2016
iTunes is showing that this will be available digitally Feb 26, and Amazon shows March 19th for discs. Didn’t expect it to be released so soon, but looking forward to watching it again.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Yellow Ant posted:

iTunes is showing that this will be available digitally Feb 26, and Amazon shows March 19th for discs. Didn’t expect it to be released so soon, but looking forward to watching it again.

Yeah, I thought I posted this but I forgot. :(

Digital will be like almost two months early.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
I don't have (and can't really afford) a 4K TV but Spider-Verse might push me over the edge.

I bought a Blu-Ray player just for Scott Pilgrim.

asecondduck fucked around with this message at 17:35 on Feb 12, 2019

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

I’d do it. 4K spider-verse is going to be a guaranteed buy for me.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
Oh God imagine how awful this movie is gonna look with motion smoothing turned on. So many people are gonna completely miss out on the deliberate skipped frames of animation.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Guy Mann posted:

Oh God imagine how awful this movie is gonna look with motion smoothing turned on. So many people are gonna completely miss out on the deliberate skipped frames of animation.

There should be a special 2 minute infomercial in front of the feature for people to turn that poo poo off, imho.

Comfortador
Jul 31, 2003

Just give me all the 3ggs_n_b4con you have.

Wait...wait.

I worry what you just heard was...
"Give me a lot of b4con_n_3ggs."

What I said was...
"Give me all the 3ggs_n_b4con you have"

...Do you understand?
I don't want to buy a 4k blu-ray player just for this. Who has pretty dependable 4k streaming that I will be able to get this from digitally?

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Comfortador posted:

I don't want to buy a 4k blu-ray player just for this. Who has pretty dependable 4k streaming that I will be able to get this from digitally?

No digital content provider is gonna compare directly with the Blu-Ray, the bitrate just isn't there (and most people's Internet isn't either).

Maybe buy a PS4 Pro so the expense feels better ($400 for a console and 4k Blu-ray player feels better to me than $250 for just a player). Plus then you can play the Spider-Man game too!The Spider-Man game is great but it doesn't have 4K Blu-ray support which makes no sense to me but whatever.

asecondduck fucked around with this message at 18:01 on Feb 13, 2019

Comfortador
Jul 31, 2003

Wait...wait.

What I said was...

...Do you understand?

asecondduck posted:

No digital content provider is gonna compare directly with the Blu-Ray, the bitrate just isn't there (and most people's Internet isn't either).

Maybe buy a PS4 Pro so the expense feels better ($400 for a console and 4k Blu-ray player feels better to me than $250 for just a player). Plus then you can play the Spider-Man game too!

I own a PS4 Pro, it doesn't come with a 4k Blu-ray player.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

asecondduck posted:

Maybe not comparable to a physical disc, but if you have the internet connection to handle it, 4k streaming is still noticeably better than 1080p. The main thing to be careful of is that a lot of Amazon 4k stuff doesn't have HDR, which for me is a dealbreaker. VUDU is better, they typically have HDR and even sometimes Dolby Vision available for a lot of their 4k rentals.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

The Xbox One S comes with a 4K Blu-ray player.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Comfortador posted:

I own a PS4 Pro, it doesn't come with a 4k Blu-ray player.

Wait seriously? My bad, don't do that then.

Basebf555 posted:

Maybe not comparable to a physical disc, but if you have the internet connection to handle it, 4k streaming is still noticeably better than 1080p.

Oh absolutely! But the question was if there was a streaming service that offered a 4K stream comparable to a disc and the answer is not really.

asecondduck fucked around with this message at 18:03 on Feb 13, 2019

Comfortador
Jul 31, 2003

Wait...wait.

What I said was...

...Do you understand?

asecondduck posted:

Wait seriously? My bad, don't do that then.

Yeah it seems a little ridiculous to me, but oh well. I'm glad someone mentioned Amazon doesn't always have HDR cause I had that pre-ordered. I canceled that poo poo. Maybe I'll figure something else out.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Isn't iTunes 4K not true HDR either? Like, it's partially implimented or something?

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

asecondduck posted:

Isn't iTunes 4K not true HDR either? Like, it's partially implimented or something?

I'm not sure about "true" HDR or whatever, I just know that Amazon is very up front that most of their 4k streaming content straight-up doesn't have HDR at all.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Ava DuVernay did a Q&A with the directors which was pretty good.

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

Oh man the replies to this

https://twitter.com/disneypixar/status/1096480893982658561?s=21

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp
:lol:

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Came here to post that. Incredible.

DrakePegasus
Jan 30, 2009

It was Plundersaurus Rex's dream to be the greatest pirate dragon ever.

Well, it certainly caused more seizures. That’s subversive, right?

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

this is an impressive level of devotion to a soulless media company, even in the cultural nadir we're currently living under

https://twitter.com/Hectorisfunny/status/1096689514255310849?s=19

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

R. Guyovich posted:

this is an impressive level of devotion to a soulless media company, even in the cultural nadir we're currently living under

This guy took the “corporations are people” ruling a bit too literally.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
I would enjoy seeing Spider-Man into the Spiderverse win and then Lord and Miller get on stage and make a crack about Solo.

Equeen
Oct 29, 2011

Pole dance~

R. Guyovich posted:

wow that dude was being a real rear end in a top hat by posting a Spider-Verse gif.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
Counter-Point: If we lived in a superhero world, John Lasseter would like almost definitely be a supervillain at this point who Spider-Man would have defeated.

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

Timeless Appeal posted:

Counter-Point: If we lived in a superhero world, John Lasseter would like almost definitely be a supervillain at this point who Spider-Man would have defeated.

Aloha Shirt-Man?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

hiddenriverninja posted:

Aloha Shirt-Man?

They called me...Mr. Grabass.

[John Lasseter would remain at Pixar until 2018. He is currently actively employed in the animation industry.]

DIRECTED BY
M. NIGHT SHYAMALAN