Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Knee
Jul 19, 2006

I'm telling you, it's true. People grow from spores.
I forget what it looked like in the car but weren't they holding or had been holding something? Put it on some cups and give them coffee?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.
This might be the most engrossing, well-acted, thoughtfully-made show I've seen in a while and I still have no idea how it can last past this season. Nobody seems to know about it and the viewer numbers are half of what they were for the premiere.

I really hope I'm wrong and that they'll get to finish the story. :sigh:

Knee
Jul 19, 2006

I'm telling you, it's true. People grow from spores.
I haven't been watching it's ratings since.. well, I think it's such a good loving show, but now you have me worried :ohdear:

https://tvseriesfinale.com/tv-show/starz-tv-show-ratings/

HanabaL03
Nov 12, 2003

We're spread, we're spread, we're spreading our.... wings! :v:

Chalks posted:

Another great episode. I wonder if alternate reality Peter will come up again or if that's the last we'll see of him.

I hope not, I'd love to see Peter Prime meet his other.

Also with them showing the rugby match again I'm thinking that has some higher significance to something coming up.

Knee posted:

I haven't been watching it's ratings since.. well, I think it's such a good loving show, but now you have me worried :ohdear:

https://tvseriesfinale.com/tv-show/starz-tv-show-ratings/

I'd think even if Starz didn't renew this Hulu or Netflix would come snag it up, or at least I hope so. It can't have a huge production budget.

HanabaL03 fucked around with this message at 18:40 on Jan 31, 2019

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

HanabaL03 posted:

I hope not, I'd love to see Peter Prime meet his other.

Also with them showing the rugby match again I'm thinking that has some higher significance to something coming up.

Yeah, it seems unlikely that they'd have gone to the trouble of so explicitly showing that he survived the massacre without some future plan for him. He's a really interesting character and his insights into how he split from his other were great

HanabaL03
Nov 12, 2003

What an amazing hour of television last night. This show is getting better each week, only 2 episodes left and I hope someone picks this show up for a 3rd season.

ozmunkeh
Feb 28, 2008

hey guys what is happening in this thread
Have they said for sure there won't be a third? That would be a drat shame. Best show on TV.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!
While I wasn't a fan of the flashback episode, in retrospect it made the impact of alpha-Emily's "betrayal" much more meaningful.

The ending was just perfect too because you knew as soon as he started the fight she was going to see him for who he really was.

The Quayle and Shadow pairing finally feels right too.

The only issue I had was that the virus plan seems like a really petty. That kind of revenge scheme feels too supervillainish for Mira to have. Her goal should just have been the abolition of management and the freedom of the information about both worlds to the greater populace. She's not loving Thanos for christ's sake. It also should have taken them all of three seconds to figure out what that plan entailed as well.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
Emily had got to have known that wasn’t Howard Alpha once they got it on, Howard Prime has got to be way more ripped :haw:

The revelation that Emily Alpha was going over to visit Anna was pretty drat heartbreaking.

Jose Mengelez
Sep 11, 2001

by Azathoth

PaybackJack posted:

The only issue I had was that the virus plan seems like a really petty. That kind of revenge scheme feels too supervillainish for Mira to have. Her goal should just have been the abolition of management and the freedom of the information about both worlds to the greater populace. She's not loving Thanos for christ's sake. It also should have taken them all of three seconds to figure out what that plan entailed as well.

turns out watching your dad stove his own head in with a telephone can make you act a little loopy.

James315
Dec 17, 2006

315 [Mp 40] everyone

PaybackJack posted:

Maybe it's not unrealistic given the scope of what the Prime world experienced. It's reminiscent of the Nakam plot, and I wouldn't be surprised if the writers were partly inspired by that.

HanabaL03
Nov 12, 2003

ozmunkeh posted:

Have they said for sure there won't be a third? That would be a drat shame. Best show on TV.

A handful of the writers/actors on the show are all over twitter about how the show needs a 3rd season. Never really a good sign to have to campaign publicly to get your show renewed.

I can't imagine this show is expensive to make and I would think Hulu or Netflix would love to snag this up for their line up if Starz doesn't renew.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

PaybackJack posted:

The only issue I had was that the virus plan seems like a really petty. That kind of revenge scheme feels too supervillainish for Mira to have. Her goal should just have been the abolition of management and the freedom of the information about both worlds to the greater populace.

Doesn't she want the crossing closed permanently? Her plan is to hit the other side hard enough that diplomacy breaks down completely and both sides are forced to seal up the crossing and never open it up again.

Chadzok
Apr 25, 2002

Tiggum posted:

Doesn't she want the crossing closed permanently? Her plan is to hit the other side hard enough that diplomacy breaks down completely and both sides are forced to seal up the crossing and never open it up again.

It could be worse than that. If she really believes in her father's 'kill or be killed' philosophy, the end goal couls be extermination of the whole Alpha human race, leaving a second Earth to be populated by Primes. Maybe she's made her flu virus to be much, much more potent.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
I usually hate it when they stop the narrative in the middle of something exciting and do a flashback episode but this one was drat good and really explained a lot to make everything fit together. This show is so great.

HanabaL03
Nov 12, 2003

My GF brought this up last night when she watched and it got me thinking that the only thing I find somewhat "unbelievable" is the fact that both worlds major players (USA, China, Russia) wouldn't' have found out about this yet.

So the only agency that knows about the crossing is the one that Management created?

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

HanabaL03 posted:

So the only agency that knows about the crossing is the one that Management created?

They say they work for the UN, so I think the major powers (at least) do know about them. At some point between the flashback we saw and the present day they were discovered and taken over but I guess no one really knows what to do about them?

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
On second thought, I'm not sure I like the management reveal. It totally makes sense but I think I preferred the ambiguity we had before where I could imagine they were using the briefcase communicators to talk to some aliens or hosed up interdimensional beings.

HanabaL03
Nov 12, 2003

Here’s a good interview with J.K. Simmons. Minor spoilers.

https://www.vulture.com/amp/2019/02/j-k-simmons-counterpart-season-2-interview.html?__twitter_impression=true

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Caught up finally! This show is SO GOOD.

All I want is for Howard Alpha, Howard Prime, Baldwin, Clare Prime, Peters Alpha and Prime, Emily Prime, and maaybe Emily Alpha to be happy.

Naya is also great and I think her presence in the show indicates that at least the US Alpha is aware of and gives a poo poo about the other side. I would also like for her to be happy but not without meeting Naya Prime first.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!
drat, that was a great episode. I really feel like the flu revenge plot is tacked on to give Peter & Co. something to do though. Because now that Mira is mustache twirling evil super villain I wonder if her sending her 'father' home is revenge because she knows the flu is coming or an actual act of compassion. I'm inclined to think it's the former but if they hadn't gone the genocide route with her I could have really believed it was the latter.

The Emily confrontation was great too and I'd wondered if they'd do a scene like that with her.

I think if there's one, other, complaint I have about this season is that both Howard feel very secondary to the main plot, but I'd still like to see them have another confrontation to wrap things up.

HanabaL03
Nov 12, 2003

Just watched tonight’s episode on the starz app. Wow.

Maybe the best line of the series: ”That’s what we do. We kill people. Then we eat breakfast.”

HanabaL03
Nov 12, 2003

Ugh.

Starz has officially declined to pick up a 3rd season.

The creator Justin Marks is hopeful the studio will find a way to get a 3rd season done. Probably via Netflix or some other online streaming site.

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Fantastic episode. I had suspected there was another way between worlds what with everything that's passed between over the years and how locked down the crossing is. I'm also super glad Clare is still alive.

HanabaL03 posted:

Starz has officially declined to pick up a 3rd season.

The creator Justin Marks is hopeful the studio will find a way to get a 3rd season done. Probably via Netflix or some other online streaming site.

The hell is wrong with that network? American Gods is pushed on despite having no viewers and losing half its cast and main creative force, but this is cancelled?

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.
gently caress, do I hate being right on this poo poo.

I do harbour some hope that Netflix/Amazon/someone wanting a prestige series will pick it up, although I do think it's not as cheap to produce as some posters said earlier. Simmons can't be all that cheap, the supporting cast includes at least a few always-employed actors (Williams, Lloyd, Pinnock), and it seems like they do a lot of on-location filming too.

Just let them finish the story :sigh:

HanabaL03
Nov 12, 2003

Trabant posted:

gently caress, do I hate being right on this poo poo.

I do harbour some hope that Netflix/Amazon/someone wanting a prestige series will pick it up, although I do think it's not as cheap to produce as some posters said earlier. Simmons can't be all that cheap, the supporting cast includes at least a few always-employed actors (Williams, Lloyd, Pinnock), and it seems like they do a lot of on-location filming too.

Just let them finish the story :sigh:

sounds like it's promising that this will get picked up. Certified 100 on rotten tomatoes. If this was pre online streaming the show would be done.

Production costs are low.

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

Maybe another streaming service could actually get some publicity behind this excellent show because it's insane that nobody has really heard of it.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Mira's plan in this episode was dumb. All it would have taken to derail it was for Ian to be even vaguely competent. As soon as Mira starts saying "you're going to let me go", just get up, leave the room, send someone else in there to replace you. At least two people, actually, like they should have had guarding her from the start. And then his phone rings - don't answer it. You suspect that whoever is calling is supposed to convince you to let Mira go, so don't answer the phone; leave the room and have someone replace you.

Another thing: why did management actually show up for the meeting? Why not just take Mira and Yanek into custody? What were they hoping to get out of it?

CeeJee
Dec 4, 2001
Oven Wrangler
This is what is so frustrating, there is this amazing premise with phenomenal performances from JK Simmons and Olivia Williams dragged down so hard by a plot which requires everyone outside the main cast being morons for anything to happen.

In the space of a few episodes the Office of Interchange had:
-A high value prisoner murdered by a mole
-Another extremely dangerous high value assassin escapes from captivity, killing a bunch of better armed guards
-Have their black site overrun
-Empty out their headquarters, allowing for enemies to cross over unchecked
-Their entire leadership murdered by a single enemy agent with the most obvious 'we have your family' leverage applied

This is something like 50% of the annual murders in Germany happening in a few days that somehow are not resulting in any improved security or scrutiny.

Vernacular
Nov 29, 2004
"We don't negotiate with terrorists!" *Empties entire building so terrorist can make her way to the super high clearance 4th floor unfettered*

There are definitely some rickety plot devices at work here, including the whole constellation of questions surrounding how the most high-priority locations on earth can become so absurdly compromised/penetrable. I'm not as bothered by Mira's grandiose master plan - Operation Flu Retribution is somewhat understandable given her hosed up life history. I am more bothered by the Yannik character and his stubborn adherence to his thoroughly biased and unscientific thesis (that the Darwinistic feud between him and his other is the general template for all Alpha/Prime relationships), but I suppose that's one of the major ironies/themes at work here: that the insecurities of an elite few were self-fulfilling prophecies that led to all this chaos in the first place.

Plot holes notwithstanding, I do love the show, and think some of the character trajectories (particularly the interrelations amongst the Howards and Emilys) have been really well-executed. I'm sad to hear that it wasn't picked up for a 3rd season, and hope that Netflix, Amazon, etc. rectifies that mistake.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Tiggum posted:

Mira's plan in this episode was dumb. All it would have taken to derail it was for Ian to be even vaguely competent. As soon as Mira starts saying "you're going to let me go", just get up, leave the room, send someone else in there to replace you. At least two people, actually, like they should have had guarding her from the start. And then his phone rings - don't answer it. You suspect that whoever is calling is supposed to convince you to let Mira go, so don't answer the phone; leave the room and have someone replace you.

Yeah, this is hokey, and yeah, Management's meeting and death suggests a deeply naive level of trust (I guess partially excused by their idealist origins, but you'd think a few decades of experience would have knocked the dust off them a bit).

However, I don't think it's in Interchange's interests to ignore Mira. Letting her run her mouth is potentially good intel, you're not going to stop her from talking.

And once Ian's phone rings, then it's absolutely in his best personal interest to pick it up. That's just where his priorities lie -- not answering the phone results in a dead woman, r worse, and that's not a reality he's prepared to deal with.

Ironically, it's the same leverage that Management thought meant they had control over Ian that led to him turning on them.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Open Source Idiom posted:

And once Ian's phone rings, then it's absolutely in his best personal interest to pick it up. That's just where his priorities lie -- not answering the phone results in a dead woman, r worse, and that's not a reality he's prepared to deal with.

Nah. If they can't deliver their threat then there's no reason to carry it out - unless they were already going to regardless. Which they probably were, because once you've got what you want there's no reason to let the witness live. Not answering the phone actually forces them to hold off on whatever they're planning if they don't want their effort wasted.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Tiggum posted:

Nah. If they can't deliver their threat then there's no reason to carry it out - unless they were already going to regardless. Which they probably were, because once you've got what you want there's no reason to let the witness live. Not answering the phone actually forces them to hold off on whatever they're planning if they don't want their effort wasted.

I dunno. Once you know what's going on -- which is probably obvious from the moment your phone starts buzzing -- I reckon it's too late. At least for a man like Ian, who's emotionally dependent on even the idea of this woman.

They don't have to shoot her, they only have to start cutting off parts and send him the photos. Ian doesn't pick up? Here's an ear. Next time it's a finger.

Mira's already made the threat clear, and the absence of communication would be a tacit rejection. They've got the power.

Woden
May 6, 2006

Vernacular posted:

There are definitely some rickety plot devices at work here

I was ready to tap out because of how Peter Quayle kept failing upwards but they turned that around and it became interesting again. So I'm still hopeful these plot threads will come together decently.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

No one knows about the show, I found out about it here. It's an obvious buy for one of the big streaming companies who're are better suited at promoting genre stuff like this, it's staggeringly high quality and the last season has been fantastic.

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

Great season finale, and good enough series finale. Though there's obviously more story to this show, and it's sad that it's probably not getting picked up anywhere.

Ninurta
Sep 19, 2007
What the HELL? That's my cutting board.

It wasn't the ending we wanted, but it was the one we deserved...Wait, this isn't Batman? Someone hosed up the crossing.

Ora Tzo
Feb 26, 2016

HEEEERES TONYYYY
drat, feeling real bad for Howard Alpha at the end of all of it, plus an oncoming flu epidemic.
As for a third season, not sure what interesting things can be done now that the character arcs have been mostly tied up.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

The last scene ruined what was a mostly great finale. Killing off Emily was kind of cheap particularly in how it was done and I was more interested in seeing how she and Howard would actually reconcile/move forward.

Mira's end was really good but the last scene was also pretty cheap in terms of being a back up plan and wanting people to needlessly suffer. I know I harp on this every post but she could have been such a better villain if they had simply narrowed her scope. I really doesn't feel believable to me that she would want to inflict the kind of suffering she had done to her on herself simply for the sake of getting revenge on her father and the other world.

As much as I like the show, it doesn't feel like it needs a third season at all and if they come back I would rather see them go with a more Fargo-esque anthology type path than a direct continuation.

The whole management thing by the end felt pretty dumb as well since it was pretty clear that the operation had grown well beyond their control and many of them had moved beyond the day to day operation of it.

Overall the show was fantastic and is probably the best thing that's been on TV in the last couple years.

PaybackJack fucked around with this message at 17:18 on Feb 17, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chadzok
Apr 25, 2002

Yeah it was a decent wrapup, not totally craving more of this series. It was a really clever premise, that two universes precisely the same could become bitter enemies based on little more than contagious paranoia. I don't feel like there's much more story to tell though - just a gross tragedy of two horrible plague outbreaks basically instigated by Yanek's grief and jealousy. Fitting that he became Patient Zero for the second outbreak, as he essentially was anyway the first time.

I see one ambiguity in the ending: the Howards' could have switched at the end. Howard Prime stuck around to hunt any more Indigo agents and sent Howard Alpha to be more of a loving person to his family than he ever could. The alternative to this is Prime was genuine in saying to Baldwin that what they should have done "a long time ago" was just go home and stop loving with another world that isn't theirs. Either one is fine.. but I want Alpha to be with Silk and the daughter so I know what I'm choosing to believe.