Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011
More powder coating somehow turned into spending an hour unwrapping the front chassis harness to investigate this nightmare.

Kill meeeeeeeee.....

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

I feel you.
I once rebuilt a potion of a harness in a Fox Mustang, due to a fuckwit who replaced a fuse in the fusebox with wire or tinfoil, after he repeatedly blew fuses in the dome/cigarette lighter location, which was caused by a penny in the aforementioned cigarette lighter (which, on a Fox Mustang, is in the center console mounted vertically, so poo poo falls into it.) Of course the feed to the lighter and the fuse block got smoking (literally) hot and melted the insulation of several nearby wires into a lovely blob.
At least I got paid for that - I worked at a stereo shop at the time.
I made everything work, though!

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011
Well now that it's sorted, back to fixing more important problems.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

What caused that, BTW? Tire rubbing at full lock or something like that?

jink
May 8, 2002

Drop it like it's Hot.
Taco Defender

the spyder posted:

Well now that it's sorted, back to fixing more important problems.

Good LORD you work fast. I would sit there sobbing at that sight, you just conquered it! Wow, just wow.

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011
Cause was most likely by the same accident that tweaked the frame rail. Don't get me wrong. I discovered this and walked away for the night. It's a PITA when you discover something like this. If I didn't have the parts car with an already hacked harness, I would have had to patch it together with random colors and gauges of wire.

Tonight I installed the harness, ABS sensors, Air bag sensors, and hood latch. Along with the intake for the turbo. It's starting to look like a real car now.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

I would have run away screaming at this point.

Aeka 2.0
Nov 16, 2000

:ohdear: Have you seen my apex seals? I seem to have lost them.

Dinosaur Gum
I had to unfuck some kid's fuckup that "Went to MoTeC School." He did a wire harness for an offroad car. The whole shebang, nothing was right. I spent 40 hours fixing his poo poo. I only wish it was as simple as that melty harness.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Aeka 2.0 posted:

I had to unfuck some kid's fuckup that "Went to MoTeC School." He did a wire harness for an offroad car. The whole shebang, nothing was right. I spent 40 hours fixing his poo poo. I only wish it was as simple as that melty harness.

That's a "throw it away and buy a new American Autowire harness" situation.
That reminds me. I need to think about whether I'm going to keep and refurbish/modify the original harness in my '79 RX-7, or just go full hot-rod and replace it with a new universal setup.

Aeka 2.0
Nov 16, 2000

Dinosaur Gum

Darchangel posted:

That's a "throw it away and buy a new American Autowire harness" situation.
That reminds me. I need to think about whether I'm going to keep and refurbish/modify the original harness in my '79 RX-7, or just go full hot-rod and replace it with a new universal setup.

This was a full Raychem DR-25 harness. We do the same thing at our shop but it was faster to fix it than build a new one as we only had a few days. Raychem harnesses with a full Motec system can take weeks.

Aeka 2.0 fucked around with this message at 21:50 on Jan 25, 2019

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you
Still here, love your work. I want an FD real bad

Aeka 2.0
Nov 16, 2000

Dinosaur Gum
Soon:

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

I'm the pizza shoes :v:

That looks rad tho

Aeka 2.0
Nov 16, 2000

Dinosaur Gum

Applebees Appetizer posted:

I'm the pizza shoes :v:

That looks rad tho

What else are you supposed to wear while eating pizza?

A/B video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZenjBt9vo84

Ok well... failure? I don't know what to think and I don't know if the phone mic auto levels. Either way it sounds like the low note is more quiet (even up in freq) but I can now really hear the ringing of the exhaust. Next step is to wrap a good chunk of it. Sounds the same level to me at idle. However, driving it the note seems a tad more tame.

Aeka 2.0 fucked around with this message at 06:36 on Feb 1, 2019

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011
It's a few days late, but I finally have this car back on the road. I'll update with the details later, my shoulder is killing me which makes typing a literal pain.

the spyder fucked around with this message at 07:34 on Feb 5, 2019

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

You had a helper. :kimchi:

GentlemanofLeisure
Aug 27, 2008
That is a good looking car. Congrats on getting it back on the road.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Those speaker grills lol. What's the dorky triangular building?

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011
Those speaker grills sucked to refurb.

Ormy
Apr 5, 2005
That thing looks like the batmobile. New cars suck so much :(.

Aeka 2.0
Nov 16, 2000

Dinosaur Gum
Do you really need to wrap the silicone hose? I've had mine on for 10 years without wrapping in the same spot.

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011
It’s funny you ask that- the answe is no. I had one bad experience years ago cooking it. I kept looking at it and ended up digging through my heat protection box, finding these two precut lengths. I wasn’t going to open a new box, but it figured why not since I had them.

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011
It's a new week. Work did not kill me, snowpocolypse did not happen, and I took the weekend off to relax.

Black 93 R1 update:
Installed side "skirts" and drove it to the gas station... in 38F weather. :D

With the black car awaiting parts, I pulled this White 94 in for some quick maintenance items- motor mounts, e-brake handle replacement. The owner bought the wrong mounts, thankfully xcessive is on the way home and I was able to exchange them for equal height units.

And in other news another FD is joining the family. To make a long story short, this was the ~3rd FD I ever worked on. Friend fell on some hard times and needed to sell it. I've know the car for over a decade, so I decided to buy it. Details this weekend.

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug

I like those wheels, that interior looks mint, too.

Octopus Magic
Dec 19, 2003

I HATE EVERYTHING THAT YOU LIKE* AND I NEED TO BE SURE YOU ALL KNOW THAT EVERY TIME I POST

*unless it's a DSM in which case we cool ^_^
Aww I miss my old 57C's. Early 2000s tuning vibes.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

On the subject of the motor mounts, I will never understand why Mazda, or anyone, loves to put rubber boded to steel in shear. I know that the forces on those mounts is mostly compression, but shear and tension as well, and that poo poo never handles it well. They did the same thing with the oil cooler mounts on first gen RX-7s, and the oil coolers fall out eventually, always. Several other isolator mounts are that way, too. Simple, easy, yeah, but not particularly durable. At least the ones that are just a threaded stud on a plate with rubber between are easy and cheap to replace.

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011
Owner keeps sending me photos... bastard.

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011
Back to my regular posting randomness. The black 93 R1 is on hold until March 1st when our local race shop can align it. I'll sneak a few things in, but the pressures off- for now.

Today I picked up the Black 93 Base. Que three people already trying to buy it from me.

My friend with the rotary B2200 came with and on the way back talked ME into selling him the Red 93 Base I bought last year. I really can't argue with his plan and technically I made $1k today doing so. So over the next few weeks I'm going to be putting it back on the road.

I pulled my White 94 in to "borrow" a coolant expansion tank and one thing lead to another...

And shop updates; I'm a hoarder! All these loving boxes were upstairs in the loft. Decided it was time to do some spring cleaning.

This meant I could finally finish insulating the upstairs. Next up:Sheathing and paint.

the spyder fucked around with this message at 08:10 on Feb 17, 2019

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
I envy a lot about you but mainly HOW MUCH WORK YOU GET DONE.

Mcqueen
Feb 26, 2007

'HEY MOM, I'M DONE WITH MY SEGMENT!'

Soiled Meat
I still love this thread and mostly love letting 30 posts pile up and then spending way too much time pouring over them. Thanks for updating it

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011
Thanks guys!

Sunday I ended up doing shop and house cleaning. While I was out there I decided to rice my car and install the crystal headlights and fogs I bought last year.

At the end of the day we brought this guy in for a quick look over. The desire to swap this one is intensifying... it's so clean.

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011
Well, I'm officially broke.

New tow rig acquired. Project as always. Going to be rebuilding the trans and doing injectors/cups/oil cooler.

Aaaaand another FD joins the farm. Another too good to pass up deal on a 2-owner 86k 93 R1. Bonus - it was half way through an electric swap. Details to follow once I'm not dying from this plague.

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat
You do great work dude :)

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug
I think with each post you need an up to date tally of how many cars you have, which are customer cars, etc.

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011

dreesemonkey posted:

I think with each post you need an up to date tally of how many cars you have, which are customer cars, etc.

That sounds like AA... lol

Currently owned by me: 7 FD's. (I gave away the 91 vert last month)
Customer cars: 9 (Including several friends cars)

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer
Is there no engine in that red fd? It's sitting so high up!

Kaptainballistik
Nov 2, 2005

Why ask me ? I cant understand me either!
When CI goes to Canada I think he needs to buy a RX7 off you to use for a year...

Then ship to Australia!

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

Kaptainballistik posted:

When CI goes to Canada I think he needs to buy a RX7 off you to use for a year...

Then ship to Australia!

There are plenty of hoggy JDM FDs on the Island.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

the spyder posted:

(I gave away the 91 vert last month)

AAAAAAAAAAAAUGH!
...I have no where to put it anyway.

Kaptainballistik posted:

Then ship to Australia!

Wouldn't it have to be converted to RHD, thus robbing it of every bit of uniqueness in Aus?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011
Dump!