Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

ethanol posted:

In my engineering courses I’ve seen the challenger mentioned In class an example probably 3 times. There was no explicitly failure analysis course but failure analysis is a huge part of several courses such as solid mechanics or statics or machine design. I Google “factor of safety” if you want to see how we are taught failure analysis. Essentially you are doubling or tripling your acceptable limits due to the material property unknowns or to compensate for your own assumptions. There was no explicit safety class except for the machine shop (you can’t use the shop without the osha safety course) but it is definitely a huge part of my education. I’ve probably done at least 12-20 Failure mode effects analysis inside my projects since I started and I’m about to finish. I’m by no means a safety expert but I’m shocked some other engineer students have said they saw zero safety stuff.

Hell I did fake engineering (computer science w/ microelectronics) and we still did a course on fault tolerance and failure analysis.

e: terrible post for a new page, also basically the same thing as the guy before me said better, here's some OSHA content:

Private Speech fucked around with this message at 14:51 on Feb 17, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

ethanol posted:

In my engineering courses I’ve seen the challenger mentioned In class an example probably 3 times.

The Challenger disaster was an analysis example for some of my behavior analysis courses.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

CrazySalamander posted:

He's probably drunkposting or trolling or both- I'm not sure of any other reason why he would post the OSHA attitude equivalent of going to the top of a mountain in a storm while wearing plate armor and cursing the gods in the OSHA thread.

Two hours of sleep and right off a funeral. Angryposting, not drunk, but close enough.

The lessons, as far as I see, are to not hire someone banned from operating heavy machinery to do any job where they could harm others, to not take safety advice from someone who has long since lost any real reason to care about their safety, and not to post when you're seriously drained.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
I don't think it's that there is no safe engineering curriculum. It's kind of built into a modern curriculum, the things you learn generally have safety factors or safety thinking built in.

But that's also a reason that gets deceptive. Yes, you learn statistics, and then get safety factors presented in terms of statistics. But do you really understand what 1/1000 years means versus 1/10000? Then ok, an incident happens. How do we figure if it's a big Bayesian deal or a little Bayesian deal.

I don't know it's something you teach at an undergrad level because to understand, really understand, you get into a swampy mess of advanced statistics and some psychology. And with functional excellence maybe that's ok to have an expert on the subject who can direct and on the job train generalists but with the STEM shortage I feel like several someone's are going to get hung out to dry in a really tragic way with the level of safe design presented in an average undergrad.

Pershing
Feb 21, 2010

John "Black Jack" Pershing
Hard Fucking Core

Am I reading this right that Mullholland was self-trained in engineering? Like, worked his way up from maintenance?

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Pershing posted:

Am I reading this right that Mullholland was self-trained in engineering? Like, worked his way up from maintenance?

Yes.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

zedprime posted:

I don't think it's that there is no safe engineering curriculum. It's kind of built into a modern curriculum, the things you learn generally have safety factors or safety thinking built in.

But that's also a reason that gets deceptive. Yes, you learn statistics, and then get safety factors presented in terms of statistics. But do you really understand what 1/1000 years means versus 1/10000? Then ok, an incident happens. How do we figure if it's a big Bayesian deal or a little Bayesian deal.

I don't know it's something you teach at an undergrad level because to understand, really understand, you get into a swampy mess of advanced statistics and some psychology. And with functional excellence maybe that's ok to have an expert on the subject who can direct and on the job train generalists but with the STEM shortage I feel like several someone's are going to get hung out to dry in a really tragic way with the level of safe design presented in an average undergrad.

There’s truth to that. But it’s also the reason you can’t get a PE and sign drawings out of school without years of field experience. My professors highlighted the complexity of failures and the number of unknowns, assumptions and randomness in the reliability and failure equations available to us. There’s a responsibility at the government and professional level to specialize their engineers. To me saying a engineer should take “failure analysis” course is a bit like saying general psych 101 would be important for every psychologist. It’s not that narrow

Pershing
Feb 21, 2010

John "Black Jack" Pershing
Hard Fucking Core

The next time some libertarian is moaning about government licensure of professions I will cite the St. Francis Dam.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

ethanol posted:

There’s truth to that. But it’s also the reason you can’t get a PE and sign drawings out of school without years of field experience. My professors highlighted the complexity of failures and the number of unknowns, assumptions and randomness in the reliability and failure equations available to us. There’s a responsibility at the government and professional level to specialize their engineers. To me saying a engineer should take “failure analysis” course is a bit like saying general psych 101 would be important for every psychologist. It’s not that narrow
PE system is cool and good on paper but Grover was a PE.

More seriously it's just a check that you remember your formulas (with safety factors pre built in so no telling if you understand safe design still) after working N years with most states assuming that your position with engineer in the name is good enough experience if you're asking for a stamp. Then on top of that, state to state portability can be rough so you end up with a system where a company does all it's design internal across state lines and finds a local consultant to stamp the docs.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
The next time someone suggests we need more engineers in government, remind them that Herbert Hoover was an engineer.

Also, Google “Why are so many terrorists engineers?”

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

zedprime posted:

In 4th year we took a probabilistic risk analysis course that went into stuff like that

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
What the gently caress is that a chart of? Why the gently caress is there no title nor context? argghh

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

zedprime posted:

PE system is cool and good on paper but Grover was a PE.

More seriously it's just a check that you remember your formulas (with safety factors pre built in so no telling if you understand safe design still) after working N years with most states assuming that your position with engineer in the name is good enough experience if you're asking for a stamp. Then on top of that, state to state portability can be rough so you end up with a system where a company does all it's design internal across state lines and finds a local consultant to stamp the docs.

That’s probably fair I don’t really know the process

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Serephina posted:

What the gently caress is that a chart of? Why the gently caress is there no title nor context? argghh

It’s the ratio of professors who are registered with the Democratic party to those who are registered with the Republican party in a small sample.

Losing to geoscience by a factor of seventeen is pretty bad.

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

Platystemon posted:

It’s the ratio of professors who are registered with the Democratic party to those who are registered with the Republican party in a small sample.

Losing to geoscience by a factor of seventeen is pretty bad.

I refuse to believe that 100% of the Anthropology faculty are registered Democrats. At least at my school, a good 30% of the department were full-on registered communists. (Not even DSA, straight-up old-school Communist Party USA members.)

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
I’m not going to lie: I, too, am suspicious of the methodology.

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

Platystemon posted:

The next time someone suggests we need more engineers in government, remind them that Herbert Hoover was an engineer.

Here's the source. I went searching for the graph's title:

quote:

Figure 1
Number of Democratic Faculty Members for Every Republican in 25 Academic Fields

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

LanceHunter posted:

I refuse to believe that 100% of the Anthropology faculty are registered Democrats. At least at my school, a good 30% of the department were full-on registered communists. (Not even DSA, straight-up old-school Communist Party USA members.)
It's a democrat to republican ratio. The communists aren't either democrats or republicans, so they're not on the ratio.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

DrPossum posted:

I would have thought safety would be a required engineering course where you might engineer something unsafe. I did a "computer ethics" course with my CS degree and we learned about this nightmare hellwheel, the Therac-25

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Therac-25

Yeah, the Therac-25 is the gold standard of "double check your code, fucklers".

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Splicer posted:

It's a democrat to republican ratio. The communists aren't either democrats or republicans, so they're not on the ratio.

1.6 to 1 is a lot lower than many of the others but it's not super damning since it's still better than the 1 to 1 ratio in the general public.

I'm actually kind of surprised chemistry and geoscience are so high because you'd think they'd be all gently caress yeah oil

edit: or maybe it's just chemical engineers that like to guzzle the oil?

iospace posted:

Yeah, the Therac-25 is the gold standard of "double check your code, fucklers".

Also maybe don't strip out hardware interlocks even if you think your software is perfect, because maybe you don't want to be counting nickels and dimes when speccing out something that shoots radiation into people

BattleMaster fucked around with this message at 17:00 on Feb 17, 2019

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.
The 70:1 ratio in religion is... Let's say difficult to believe. Even if the faculty aren't believers themselves.

Orvin
Sep 9, 2006

Trabant posted:

The 70:1 ratio in religion is... Let's say difficult to believe. Even if the faculty aren't believers themselves.

The article that is the source of that graph is using a sample of 51 top ranked liberal arts colleges. I could see that greatly screwing the numbers.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Trabant posted:

A shitload of the religion faculty at my college (UConn) were Jewish, who tend to skew pretty dem.

Our engineering department also had a mandatory Ethics class and failure analysis type stuff was a part of a lot of classes (statics and materials science come to mind, I swapped to poli sci after my sophomore year so I don’t know about the later stuff)

Ultraklystron
May 19, 2010

Unsafe At Every Speed

DrPossum posted:

I would have thought safety would be a required engineering course where you might engineer something unsafe. I did a "computer ethics" course with my CS degree and we learned about this nightmare hellwheel, the Therac-25

I would've thought the same as an Ethics & Technology course was a prerequisite for any CS degree at the school I went to. However, every time I've bought it up at work with a co-op student (paid intern) who wasn't in the same CS program, I received blank stares, at which point I send them the Wikipedia link. I'll say, it never fails to change how seriously they take their work, and we're not building anything close to so immediately dangerous.

Ultraklystron fucked around with this message at 19:30 on Feb 17, 2019

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

Platystemon posted:

Lol I have an anthropology degree.

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

Ultraklystron posted:

I would've thought the same as an Ethics & Technology course was a prerequisite for any CS degree at the school I went to. However, every time I've bought it up at work with a co-op student (paid intern) who wasn't in the same CS program, I received blank stares, at which point I send them the Wikipedia link. I'll say, it never fails to change how seriously they take their work, and we're not building anything close to so immediately dangerous.

Did we attend the same co-op based school closely tied to the auto industry?

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost

LifeSunDeath posted:

Lol I have an anthropology degree.

as an anthropologist, do you think the human race is good, or bad?

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

Mozi posted:

there is no objective good/bad. some cultures are more interesting than others imo but it doesn't make them better.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Mozi posted:

The human race created furries but it also created short people so it's impossible to say whether it's bad or bad.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

LifeSunDeath posted:

there is no objective good/bad. some cultures are more interesting than others imo but it doesn't make them better.

but is it passable or at least tolerable

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

Nenonen posted:

but is it passable or at least tolerable

Not sure what you mean.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
lol asking an anthropologist about a homogenized human race's worth without considering geographic, sexual, gender, social, economic and personal boundaries.

you wacky

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
it was not a serious question

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
i would bill you for my wasted time flying mobile eyeball but i am not an anthropologist.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

sneakyfrog posted:

i would bill you for my wasted time flying mobile eyeball but i am not an anthropologist.

turns out our time is not valuable at all, I have no qualms with that, it's life.

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

I have a history degree and humanity is 100% bad

CrazySalamander
Nov 5, 2009

Endman posted:

Please take a look at extreme poverty and child mortality statistics. Humanity is improving. I would suggest reading Hans Rosling’s Factfulness or at least watching one of his TED talks.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

Endman posted:

Likely your job prospects too :v:

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

CrazySalamander posted:

Please take a look at extreme poverty and child mortality statistics. Humanity is improving. I would suggest reading Hans Rosling’s Factfulness or at least watching one of his TED talks.

Nah, still bad sorry

Please accept Forlift Driver Klaus, which I'm sure we've all seen before but need to see again, as recompense for this derail:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-oB6DN5dYWo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

BattleMaster posted:

Does this guy think that universities haven't thought of that? I had a class that was a semester just on Challenger, Chernobyl, and Exxon Valdez and the techniques used to analyze the things that led to them happening
I had a course on ethics in college, and literally everyone still applied to Uber at the job fair, so.