Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Booourns
Jan 20, 2004
Please send a report when you see me complain about other posters and threads outside of QCS

~thanks!

Charles Bukowski posted:

Do we talk about coffee because all else is too depressing?

It's because people never get probated for derails so why the hell not

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Booourns posted:

canpol is basically one extended derail from uk politics that's gonna get merged into the us thread soon so :angel:

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
Coffee is serious business, friends. It is integral to Canadian life, and therefore never a derail.

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Who needs a house out in Hackensack? Is that all you get for your money?

JawKnee posted:

Because the soda stream is a stupid piece of crap

omg it's happening in the thread!

Math You
Oct 27, 2010

So put your faith
in more than steel

Booourns posted:

This thread requires frequent multipage derails.
We need the reminder that we're all people (with caffeine addictions) living actual lives and not just pieces of trash with bad political opinions.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Arivia posted:

canpol is basically one extended derail from uk politics that's gonna get merged into the us thread soon so :angel:

Clever.

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

The disruptive powers of excessive national fecundity may have played a greater part in bursting the bonds of convention than either the power of ideas or the errors of autocracy.

PT6A posted:

Coffee is serious business, friends. It is integral to Canadian life, and therefore never a derail.

Coffee, craft beer and Keg steak.

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

Jan posted:

Coffee, craft beer and Keg steak.

I actually went to the keg at park royal the other night and it was better than I expected.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

I am glad I am not dependent on caffeine due to not having a thyroid gland (at least that's my theory). I can literally drink a cup of coffee before bed and go right to sleep.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

PT6A posted:

What do you have against Mormons?

berenzen
Jan 23, 2012

I despise the taste of coffee, and so have managed to avoid acquiring a caffeine dependence to stay awake. Saves me a couple hundred dollars a year as well.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Thank you!

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

berenzen posted:

I despise the taste of coffee, and so have managed to avoid acquiring a caffeine dependence to stay awake. Saves me a couple hundred dollars a year as well.

I work in manufacturing. We subsist on coffee.

Toalpaz
Mar 20, 2012

Peace through overwhelming determination

berenzen posted:

Good for you!

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

MA-Horus posted:

I work in manufacturing. We subsist on coffee.

Its the same in every aspect of healthcare too. The Tim Hortons they built right beside RVH was a stroke of evil genius. Everyone knows its bad coffee and overpriced food but that clearly doesnt stop anyone from stopping there either on the way in or out.

Speaking of healthcare in Ontario, Ford has managed to piss off a good chunk of boomers/seniors with his backroom privatization negotiations if the people we get at our pharmacy are any indication. I feel like that might be the only issue that gets any kind of visible resistance from the mushbrained residents of this dumb province.

Syfe
Jun 12, 2006

berenzen posted:

:same:

However I am an unabashed lover of Red Rose tea.
Sometimes somebody will try to get me to drink coffee and I just end up feeling like I drank battery acid and get jittery. It kind of sucks because I want to know the magic, but my body doesn't.

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
e woosh

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Tsyni posted:

I actually went to the keg the other night and it was better than I expected.

The customer testimonial they've been waiting for.

EvidenceBasedQuack
Aug 15, 2015

A rock has no detectable opinion about gravity
So I found out the federal Conservative candidate in my riding is Faith Goldy's BFF.

It's a conservative riding, for sure, but I don't think it's that kind of conservative.

edit: she's not homophobic, she has a gay friend assistant

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Tsyni posted:

I actually went to the keg at park royal the other night and it was better than I expected.

Cool. I think I was giving them too hard of a time before; I've since discovered that basically all restaurants suck and most are overpriced too. There are only two or three in Calgary I can consistently eat at and say, "that food was better than what I could cook for myself, the booze was better than what I keep on-hand at home, and worth the money" and honestly that makes me kind of sad.

MILLIENNIALS are KILLING the restaurant industry!

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

In eastern Canada restaurant industry kills millenials.

Albino Squirrel
Apr 25, 2003

Miosis more like meiosis

Furnaceface posted:

Its the same in every aspect of healthcare too. The Tim Hortons they built right beside RVH was a stroke of evil genius. Everyone knows its bad coffee and overpriced food but that clearly doesnt stop anyone from stopping there either on the way in or out.
When I was a resident, I had a 20-cup a day habit, and since I couldn't physically brew enough at home to bring to work I'd have to have a couple of Timmy's a day. It's terrible coffee but at least it's physically inside the Royal Alex Hospital in Edmonton.

I would also wind up downing 4 Red Bulls a night if I was on call, and still just pass out cold during morning rounds. Caffeine tolerance and fatigue are a hell of a combination.

quote:

Speaking of healthcare in Ontario, Ford has managed to piss off a good chunk of boomers/seniors with his backroom privatization negotiations if the people we get at our pharmacy are any indication. I feel like that might be the only issue that gets any kind of visible resistance from the mushbrained residents of this dumb province.
So, about your LHIN dissolution - has Ontario NOT been going through the same cycle Alberta has of combining local health authorities to regional ones, then replacing them with a single provincial health authority, then replacing that with fewer regional health authorities, then back to the provincial health authority? Because that's been fun the past couple of decades.

Albino Squirrel
Apr 25, 2003

Miosis more like meiosis
AlbertaPol update: Kenney has rolled out his election promises.

Highlights include:

- halting the K-12 curriculum review (considering there hasn't been a whole system overhaul since the 1980s, this would not be great)
- "expanding school choice"
- repealing the law that requires worker's comp for farm workers
- ending wind and solar subsidies (so much for my plan to stick solar on my roof later this year)
- retreating from the $15 minimum wage for kids and servers

Hey, welcome to my upcoming paleoconservative nightmare!

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
Are those all :qq:Alberta Farms:qq: handouts?

Who wants half of that?

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

PT6A posted:

Cool. I think I was giving them too hard of a time before; I've since discovered that basically all restaurants suck and most are overpriced too. There are only two or three in Calgary I can consistently eat at and say, "that food was better than what I could cook for myself, the booze was better than what I keep on-hand at home, and worth the money" and honestly that makes me kind of sad.

MILLIENNIALS are KILLING the restaurant industry!

Which three?

Syfe
Jun 12, 2006

Albino Squirrel posted:

AlbertaPol update: Kenney has rolled out his election promises.

Highlights include:

- halting the K-12 curriculum review (considering there hasn't been a whole system overhaul since the 1980s, this would not be great)
- repealing the law that requires worker's comp for farm workers
- ending wind and solar subsidies (so much for my plan to stick solar on my roof later this year)
- retreating from the $15 minimum wage for kids and servers

Hey, welcome to my upcoming paleoconservative nightmare!

I think what bugs me is that conservatives live almost entirely just to dismantle, they never have ideas of their own that aren't just grift and poo poo, it's all about the great dismantling of the society they love to proclaim as "western civilization <3 <3 <3" so it's bizarre.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

PittTheElder posted:

Which three?

Taco Bell locations. The good ones.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Syfe posted:

I think what bugs me is that conservatives live almost entirely just to dismantle, they never have ideas of their own that aren't just grift and poo poo, it's all about the great dismantling of the society they love to proclaim as "western civilization <3 <3 <3" so it's bizarre.

It's because they're not actually "conservatives" who want to conserve what society currently has, they're reactionaries who want to undo whatever progress we've made over the past ten/hundred/thousand years, depending how bad they are.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
I mean poo poo you'd think the one thing that should be "conservative" would be protecting the environment, conservative and conservation literally come from the same word and if we destroy the environment there'll be no society to conserve anyway, but conservatives instead want to continue radically destroying everything that sustains life as we know it because they'll die and go to heaven so who cares.

patonthebach
Aug 22, 2016

by R. Guyovich

vyelkin posted:

I mean poo poo you'd think the one thing that should be "conservative" would be protecting the environment, conservative and conservation literally come from the same word and if we destroy the environment there'll be no society to conserve anyway, but conservatives instead want to continue radically destroying everything that sustains life as we know it because they'll die and go to heaven so who cares.

There was a time about 50 or 75 years ago where the conservatives of the USA were big into the environment and natural parks and protecting wildlife etc. Doesn't mean much today, but there was a history there of them caring.

That being said there a bunch of right leaning people in the hunting/fishing area that actually do give a poo poo about the environment but there isn't enough of the die-hards who care about preserving marsh/wetlands to make a big difference in the voting blocks.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!

Albino Squirrel posted:

I think the time has finally come for the BCNDP to run on a campaign of building a wall to keep the Albertans out.

Charles Bukowski
Aug 26, 2003

Taskmaster 2023 Second Place Winner

Grimey Drawer
Expanding school choice means attacking public schools and funneling more to private charter schools like they're doing in the states, right?

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Charles Bukowski posted:

Expanding school choice means attacking public schools and funneling more to private charter schools like they're doing in the states, right?

It means that but it also sometimes means the government will wholeheartedly support your decision to run a Christian school in your living room so you can raise your kids and your friend's kids to be weird shut-in fundamentalists.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
I once read a bunch of education files related to weirdo homeschoolers trying to get their homeschooling network to be recognized as a private school that happened to have "campuses" in each family's home, instead of having each family be listed as homeschooling their kids. They gave their "school" a wacky name and listed all the parents as teachers and got letterhead and everything, and the ministry of education had to constantly slap them down saying "no it doesn't count as a school if your 'campuses' are 500 km away from each other and each campus has two children who are siblings and each campus has one teacher who is the students' parent and each campus is in that family's home".

Homeschoolers are loving weird basically.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

e:^^^ drat you :argh:

Charles Bukowski posted:

Its that plus probably loosening the rules on home schooling so more people can raise a bunch of unvaccinated anti-social religious morons.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Gerald Butts resigned.

Trudeau is going to cling to power as he gets more and toxic month by month until we get a loving conservative majority.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

I didn't do anything wrong but I'm going to leave so the distraction caused by me being completely innocent doesn't interfaaaaaaaaaaart

ARACHTION
Mar 10, 2012

BGrifter posted:

I think the time has finally come for the BCNDP to run on a campaign of building a wall to keep the Albertans out.

I mean all we really have to do is dynamite the mountain highways, right?

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene

PittTheElder posted:

Which three?

Calgary actually has lots of good food, altho lots of it is more of the fancy expensive kind. If I had to pick a top three places to impress fancy foodies, I'd probably do Anju, Model Milk, and Bar Von Der Fels (and there's a handful of others that I probably like just as much, those are just the first 3 that come to mind).

For "goodass food that doesn't break the bank" I'm pretty into Una Pizza, but nerds on the internet jerk off and fight about pizza constantly so ymmv. And for the really cheap stuff it's got the best Vietnamese sub/pho game in Canada, (or at least the most dense concentration of it) anyhow. If you only got three places you can eat at, you ain't trying.

CRISPYBABY fucked around with this message at 21:03 on Feb 18, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

James Baud
May 24, 2015

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Powershift posted:

Gerald Butts resigned.

Trudeau is going to cling to power as he gets more and toxic month by month until we get a loving conservative majority.

Thing is, only political junkies really know who/what he is.

I think for most people's perspective his resignation full of protests that he didn't do anything wrong just makes the panic / fire look worse.