Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

chumbler posted:

Gonna make a pot of chili today, and I'm debating whether to commit a crime and throw some cabbage in.

Chili is as chili does. If you think you'll like chili with cabbage in it, then go ahead. If you think it'd be better served as chili spooned over cabbage, that's fine too. If you'd rather stew some cabbage in the chili and remove it to eat separately, that's your prerogative. You do what's good by you as long as you recognize that what you're doing is its own unique take on chili and not intended as a slight against everyone else's preferred style.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Electric Phantasm posted:

What about chili with hot dogs in it?

This is supposedly the original recipe for New Jersey dogs, but just like beef hearts I don't think anyone still makes chili this way (put beef hearts in your chili it's gooood)

al-azad
May 28, 2009

FirstAidKite posted:

Chili is as chili does. If you think you'll like chili with cabbage in it, then go ahead. If you think it'd be better served as chili spooned over cabbage, that's fine too. If you'd rather stew some cabbage in the chili and remove it to eat separately, that's your prerogative. You do what's good by you as long as you recognize that what you're doing is its own unique take on chili and not intended as a slight against everyone else's preferred style.

Get a load of this both sidesism

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

I mean, some things will taste bad, we can't be food centrists

Edit:

al-azad posted:

Get a load of this both sidesism

:hai:

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
because my parents grew up in the Dark Age of modern cooking they think chili should be watery, beany, flavorless, and with very little meat

they complain when i cook a thick chili with huge chunks of meat with seasoning that didn't come out of a bottle that says "REAL CHILI FLAVOR"

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

American cookbooks from the 1950s-1970s are almost all disasters

al-azad
May 28, 2009

The White Dragon posted:

because my parents grew up in the Dark Age of modern cooking they think chili should be watery, beany, flavorless, and with very little meat

they complain when i cook a thick chili with huge chunks of meat with seasoning that didn't come out of a bottle that says "REAL CHILI FLAVOR"

Are your parents Hawaiian? Because this makes me sad. I don't think I've ate as well in the states than when I was in Pearl Harbor. I ate so many mix plates every lunch I may die at 40.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
I always thought that chili was one of those "throw anything you like in the pot and hope it tastes good" food

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Nah that’s stew

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

al-azad posted:

Are your parents Hawaiian? Because this makes me sad. I don't think I've ate as well in the states than when I was in Pearl Harbor. I ate so many mix plates every lunch I may die at 40.

Plate lunch isn't really something you cook at home, it's the equivalent of eating out in Hawaii. So while our takeaway is better, the actual home cooking of Hawaiian boomers tends to take heavy influences from 50s-70s American cuisine. Which is to say, the only spices they know anything about are Salt, Pepper, Liquid Smoke for kalua pork, and anything else tastes Too Strong.

Quite frankly it's a miracle that i have a sense of taste at all but I owe that to my bros

Fur20 fucked around with this message at 23:47 on Feb 17, 2019

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

exquisite tea posted:

The cruciferous taste of cabbage definitely does not mingle with the savory meaty smokiness of a good chili in my mind. Maybe if you did a quick pickle and put some shredded cabbage on top for texture.

Yeah I'm thinking of adding it late so it keeps some crunchiness.

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

What I am concerned about when it comes to Crackdown 3…is that it looks like nothing has been changed at all from Crackdown 1 gameplay wise. Like…it’s still exactly the same. They didn’t add any brand new skills to level up…it’s just the same skills that were in the first game again. They didn’t add more depth at all. Why not add the ability to level up individual guns? Or vehicles? Why not add some cosmetic options? Why not add new combat moves when you level up your strength? Why not add new traversal moves when you level up your agility?

But no, it appears they didn’t do any of that. It’s literally just the same game again only on a new map.

I just don’t see why I would ever pay $60 for that. I mean…if I want that experience…I can just go play Crackdown 1 again.

This is another MS game that has had baffling choices made in it’s development. The other game being Sea of Thieves.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

I mean for Microsoft first party stuff you just need to remember they don't necessarily want you buying these games, they want you subscribing to Game Pass. So we end up with the Netflix thing where they might not care if it's that great so long as there's new stuff going up there to get people to subscribe.

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

American cookbooks from the 1950s-1970s are almost all disasters

what you don't like ham or shrimp or green bean based Jell-O molds

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

a.lo posted:

What I am concerned about when it comes to Crackdown 3…is that it looks like nothing has been changed at all from Crackdown 1 gameplay wise. Like…it’s still exactly the same. They didn’t add any brand new skills to level up…it’s just the same skills that were in the first game again. They didn’t add more depth at all. Why not add the ability to level up individual guns? Or vehicles? Why not add some cosmetic options? Why not add new combat moves when you level up your strength? Why not add new traversal moves when you level up your agility?

But no, it appears they didn’t do any of that. It’s literally just the same game again only on a new map.

I just don’t see why I would ever pay $60 for that. I mean…if I want that experience…I can just go play Crackdown 1 again.

This is another MS game that has had baffling choices made in it’s development. The other game being Sea of Thieves.

That's beautiful. It only took a decade...

I never really got the original Crackdown but I get the impression that it kind of lucked out by stumbling on open world mechanics/concepts just before they were perfected by much better games.

And lol turns out all three games were made by different studios? Yet they still managed to make the exact same game three times with no new ideas.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I find the idea of cabbage in a chili to be super offensive to me.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Capcom should port Lost Planet 2 now.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Wamdoodle posted:

what you don't like ham or shrimp or green bean based Jell-O molds

I read that the gelatinized food craze came about because you needed a refrigerator for them and they were still a luxury in the 1950s

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

LIVE AMMO ROLEPLAY posted:

Capcom should port Lost Planet 2 now.
it would be way more popular today than it was 10 years ago. every game now is a little bit lost planet 2

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
go ahead, do an image search for 50s jello recipes. i double dog dare you

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

I said come in! posted:

Is the original ok to play? That is on Steam now.

Owning a game that’s problematic doesn’t make you a bad person. I’m all for being an ally but the woke Olympics can be a bit much,

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Really Pants posted:

pizza is bad

chili is bad

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

LionArcher posted:

Owning a game that’s problematic doesn’t make you a bad person. I’m all for being an ally but the woke Olympics can be a bit much,

I assumed they meant does it play well.

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Scroll, then. There are other posts than these.

LionArcher posted:

If you buy a game after it's known to be problematic, i don't think you were ever going to medal.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

My hot take is even as a puzzle game I don't rate Catherine that highly.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

LionArcher posted:

Or, you know, maybe they don't want to play a possibly transphobic game because they wouldn't enjoy that.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Real hurthling! posted:

Saky, you gotta use a continuous beam laser on the Diver to stun lock them and knock off their helmets while someone else shoots them for damage

Thanks but I've never used wing divers and only play solo :rip:

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

LIVE AMMO ROLEPLAY posted:

Or, you know, maybe they don't want to play a possibly transphobic game because they wouldn't enjoy that.

No I get that. I’m saying it’s a good puzzle game and has a sub plot with a few lines that are problematic and transphobic. And again, someone earlier had a very thoughtful post about the differences in cultures about trans perceptions (Japanese vs western). What I’m basically saying is if you don’t want to buy the game, that’s totally cool, but if you do want to play it, that doesn’t mean you are a bad person or transphobic.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

literally no one has said that you're transphobic for buying a video game. but its good to have a heads up if there is something hosed up in a piece of media, and it lets people make an informed decision if they want to deal with that bullshit or not. there are no downsides to posting about it

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Steve2911 posted:

I assumed they meant does it play well.

Not quite but that is always a good question too. I mean is the story and characters okay. My understanding is that Full Body makes major changes to characters that are really offensive and bad.

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Scroll, then. There are other posts than these.

LionArcher posted:

a sub plot with a few lines that are problematic and transphobic. And again, someone earlier had a very thoughtful post about the differences in cultures about trans perceptions (Japanese vs western).
It seems like you're trying to minimize it, but there's really no point for you to do so. Trans representation is so miniscule in media period, even one small positive sub plot would be great. Yet instead it's another gross outdated take updated for 2019. And no one gives a poo poo about how any culture is, it's still wrong and insults a group of people's existence, this isn't some opinion to be handwaved. Not to mention, with the proliferation of the internet, there's no excuse for ignorance from a game dev on the subject.

I said come in! posted:

Not quite but that is always a good question too. I mean is the story and characters okay. My understanding is that Full Body makes major changes to characters that are really offensive and bad.

The original is also transphobic, the update just makes sure there's no doubt.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I got an email saying that my automatic resub for FFXIV went through which I had forgotten about so now I'm back to leveling a WHM before the xpac comes out. I thought SB2 was in like 2 weeks not 4 months.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

In Training posted:

I got an email saying that my automatic resub for FFXIV went through which I had forgotten about so now I'm back to leveling a WHM before the xpac comes out. I thought SB2 was in like 2 weeks not 4 months.
lol, at least the conclusion of stormblood is next month so you can see that

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

All this cooking talk has me imagining what a new Cooking Mama game would look like

Barudak
May 7, 2007

a.lo posted:

There are updates to a lot of the things you mentioned; the agency vehicle is one car that you unlock multiple forms in, your agility as you upgrade gains new mobility options which makes traversal much better than cd1, leveling skills provides a general stat boost as well as unlocks specific extra abilities and features such as new combat moves, there are considiberaly more and more interesting guns, level design is better, the controls are better.

That said the game is just very short and your other progression suggestions like individual guns would require a consiserably longer time investment game to make functional which is a shame. Why exactly it took them a decade and change to make what is effectively an actual Crackdown 2 is a goddamn mystery but a lot of people are dissapointed since its not the same year crackdown 2 came out and expectations are much higher.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Infinitum posted:

All this cooking talk has me imagining what a new Cooking Mama game would look like

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4qRlxPlhw3U

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

The egg one is way too easy to fail for unclear reasons.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

chumbler posted:

The egg one is way too easy to fail for unclear reasons.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hDvt85lzpUc

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

homeless snail posted:

lol, at least the conclusion of stormblood is next month so you can see that

I'll prolly check out BLU too even though the announcement to reality disappointment was immense

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

every time i think I'm gonna play something else I get a win in apex legends and the sheer adrenaline of it just makes everything else less interesting

shameful that that's where i get my rush jollies i guess but there ya go :v: