Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Happily shilling for China!

Squalid posted:

Is there a reason the cities are tightly clustered in the middle?

The Yellow River was essentially the mother of Chinese civilization.
Also add topography to that and lots of it is clustered around where the Yellow River emerges from the mountainous areas and enters into the North Chinese Plain.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.
Two big reasons.

1. like Grape said it was simply the demographic and economic heart of China, basically from its earliest history until the Han (although cities themselves only really flourished from the later parts of the Spring and Autumn, the period just prior to this).
2. a bit related to 1., the region was at basically the crossroads between all of the most powerful states--Wei, Qin, Qi, and Chu, and so was where most of the fighting took place:

in addition to the normal economic reasons, cities during the Warring States were placed and built for their strategic value. Sometimes political (like the Qin moving their capital to a position where they were within striking distance of everybody) but also usually to help solidify borders and stuff. That region is wide open, so they relied on cities to do that a lot.

There are better maps for this I can't find right now but this showcases it a bit:

Some other regions were demographically/culturally super important too (the Wei River Valley in the West beyond those mountains to the west, the corridor of lakes near those mountains at Shandong in the east) but they had other geography to secure their locations that the central region didn't. As for the other flat regions to the north and southeast, they were still marginal land at this point--the cities map illustrates that pretty well if you look at the line that shoots straight north to Beijing while barely deviating at all. To its east the land was still mostly just marshy and worthless. That'd change over this period and in the Han though and as land got cleared populations moved a bunch.

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

Grape posted:

The Yellow River was essentially the mother of Chinese civilization.
Also add topography to that and lots of it is clustered around where the Yellow River emerges from the mountainous areas and enters into the North Chinese Plain.

mhmmm doesn't really look like they're on the Yellow river, the really tight cluster around what i think is the city of Kaifeng is close but I think even that is several kilometers away and on a tributary or parallel river. I agree though that it seems to be kinda where the river enters the plain, not sure why that would be important though.

edit: the need for defense in the middle of a contested region also makes sense, as does the suggestion that it just happens that area was the historical nexus of the Han polity and civilization.

Squalid fucked around with this message at 04:01 on Feb 15, 2019

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Squalid posted:

mhmmm doesn't really look like they're on the Yellow river, the really tight cluster around the city of Kaifeng is close but I think even that is several kilometers away and on a tributary or parallel river. I agree though that it seems to be kinda where the river enters the plain, not sure why that would be important though.

A lot of human traffic would be forced into that sort of choke point by the lay of the land, which would help to build up the settlements around there even further. Like Koramei mentioned it's a sort of crossroads.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets

Squalid posted:

mhmmm doesn't really look like they're on the Yellow river, the really tight cluster around what i think is the city of Kaifeng is close but I think even that is several kilometers away and on a tributary or parallel river. I agree though that it seems to be kinda where the river enters the plain, not sure why that would be important though.

It's not just the Yellow River. The northmost tributary of the Yangtze you see there, the Han River, was also hugely important both for irrigation and passage between north/south (and the south, despite not being as attested in later Chinese sources and so kinda getting the shaft in history, was likely just as rich as the north). With the exception of some treacherous routes to the far east and west via Sichuan, it was basically the only link between north and south China.

Also to reiterate, China's land was not as developed as it'd later be. That's basically the space for a significant number of cities, basically everywhere else was either mountains, forest, marsh, or the much smaller valley regions (that do have a lot of cities in them on that map).

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
Actually with that said, I'd have thought there'd be more around Shandong still, that was the other very rich and populous part and it was also pretty contested (by less significant states though, so maybe they didn't have the resources to develop so many cities). Here's a map from a couple of hundred years later where you can see that a bit:

(Han Dynasty census figures ~1 CE)

Those regions around modern Hebei/Beijing would have (mostly--there was still some stuff before) gotten developed in the intervening centuries, but the area around Lu/Dongping/Pengcheng had been wealthy all the way back to the Western Zhou from 1000 BCE.

e: I've been reading intently about the Warring States period for the past year but know next to nothing about later Chinese history so someone else will have to cover these, but here's some more population maps from the same book (Richard von Glahn's The Economic History of China) as the first few maps I posted:

Population of Tang China, 742

Population of Northern Song China, 1102

Richard von Glahn posted:

In the course of the An Lushan rebellion, whose aftershocks reverberated for decades afterward, millions of families in North China had been uprooted. Many migrated to the south, settling in Jiangnan and the still largely frontier areas of the Middle Yangzi River valley. This shift in population, a dramatic acceleration of a trend underway since the steppe nomad invasions of the fourth century, marked a key turning point in the demography of China. Before the An Lushan rebellion approximately two-thirds of the population lived in the dryland farming regions of North China, with the densest concentration in the Central Plain heartland. By 1100 that ratio had reversed: two-thirds of the population inhabited the rice-growing regions of South China, and only one-third lived in the north, a distribution that has remained roughly constant down to the present

Crazy difference

Koramei fucked around with this message at 04:37 on Feb 15, 2019

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
Reading about the An Lushan war really underscores the lesson that the worst war is a civil war, and the worst kind is the one that swings back and forth and just goes on and on for years and years.

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.

Koramei posted:

It's not just the Yellow River. The northmost tributary of the Yangtze you see there, the Han River, was also hugely important both for irrigation and passage between north/south (and the south, despite not being as attested in later Chinese sources and so kinda getting the shaft in history, was likely just as rich as the north). With the exception of some treacherous routes to the far east and west via Sichuan, it was basically the only link between north and south China.

The map could also be showing the modern course of the river for reference, or a rough estimate of its course at the time. It was so long ago and that river's course shifts a lot.

System Metternich
Feb 28, 2010

But what did he mean by that?

All declassified domestic (including Puerto Rico and Guam) military installations of the US Armed Forces. I dunno how comprehensive this really is, here's the map if you want to take a closer look.

Dark Blue = Navy (I guess this also covers the Coast Guard?)
Light Blue = Air Force
Green = Army
Red = Marines
Yellow = Pentagon

And here's just the lower 48:

Interesting to see how e.g. the Marines are still mostly clustered along the coast or at least somewhat near to it, with the exception of Kansas City for some reason (this is labelled as an MCSPTACT, anyone know what that is supposed to be?)

e: and what's up with those navy installations that are hundreds or even thousands of miles inland?

System Metternich fucked around with this message at 14:39 on Feb 15, 2019

Giganticon
Mar 10, 2010

Pillbug
The Navy base in Nevada is top gun school and a live fire bombing range. I expect a fair amount of the naval aviation stations are inland. I've done work at a navy textile research lab inland that was set up with flags and guards like a real base, despite uniform prototypes being the only secret. Which honestly is a waste - the traditional neckerchief sailor suit is already the perfect warfighting garment.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

System Metternich posted:

All declassified domestic (including Puerto Rico and Guam) military installations of the US Armed Forces. I dunno how comprehensive this really is, here's the map if you want to take a closer look.

Dark Blue = Navy (I guess this also covers the Coast Guard?)
Light Blue = Air Force
Green = Army
Red = Marines
Yellow = Pentagon

And here's just the lower 48:

Interesting to see how e.g. the Marines are still mostly clustered along the coast or at least somewhat near to it, with the exception of Kansas City for some reason (this is labelled as an MCSPTACT, anyone know what that is supposed to be?)

e: and what's up with those navy installations that are hundreds or even thousands of miles inland?

MCSPTACT means Marine Corps Support Activity apparently

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice

System Metternich posted:

The base in Indiana is the Navy Surface Warfare Center, which mostly handles logistics, and weapons procurement and testing.

The one on Tennessee is Naval Support Activity Mid-South, which mostly is in charge of personnel and human resources.

The one in West Virginia is now closed (and is being turned into a veterans hospital), but it was a joint Navy/NSA listening post and communications monitoring center that recorded international communications coming into the east coast.

The one in Fort Worth, Texas is a Navy reserve airbase.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!
WTF is going on in Alabama?

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
A whole bunch of tiny dirt air strips

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Orange Devil posted:

WTF is going on in Alabama?

the data is kind of old so some of those bases are closed, but the navy has a couple of training airbases on the gulf coast and where you have training airbases you tend to have a bunch of outlying airstrips to use for practice and in case a trainee pilot has a problem and needs to land quickly. these airstrips are little more than a paved runway or two and maybe some kind of office building, definitely no hangars or any support infrastructure

a lot of military aviation training happens in the southeast united states because the climate is good and land is super cheap

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
poking around some more many of those pins on the map refer to facilities that were closed over a decade ago, or are mixed military/civilian facilities. for example, st. louis international airport is on the map because the missouri air national guard flies out of there

Soviet Commubot
Oct 22, 2008

Some of them aren't quite right either, the one that looks like it's in Detroit should be Tank and Automotive Command in Warren but the one just north of that should be Selfridge Air National Guard Base and so should be blue.

Also I like how you can just see the sliver of green that is Fort Custer in Battle Creek hidden behind the Battle Creek ANGB, which is just a part of W.K. Kellog Airport and isn't nearly as big a facility as Custer.

Also, the UP stands alone, free from US military occupation, at least since KI Sawyer and Kincheloe closed down.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Wasn't there a deep lake in Idaho where they did submarine stuff?

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

https://easyzoom.com/imageaccess/ec482e04c2b240d4969c14156bb6836f

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

No tar? :(

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

HDI, I assume.

Interesting to see it at the subnational level like that. One of the few countries that really surprise me is Japan, I'd have assumed it'd be dark blue in its entirety.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

It's pretty sad that most of Europe is only as developed as West Virginia or the Deep South.

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

when I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child - but now I am a man.

Mantis42 posted:

It's pretty sad that most of Europe is only as developed as West Virginia or the Deep South.

Actually it's good since development per the existing model is destroying the biosphere and we need to reverse it asap

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Mantis42 posted:

Or Russia, for that matter. Also Japan and best Korea don't really make sense for HDI really.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
According to your logic we should emulate China to improve our environmental footprint?

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Mantis42 posted:

Alternatively, it's pretty sad that the US has a bunch of states that are only as developed as Russia.

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Mantis42 posted:

It's probably the GDP/c that does it, which makes up 1/3 of the HDI value.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong
Here's an alternate subnational units based HDI map from last year:

This map's author noted that Western Australia's outlier status is due to the very small population, mostly concentrated around Perth, getting a GDP per capita boost from the vast amounts of relatively low worker mines that do tons of business in the rest of the state. They also provided a list of the top 20 rated regions:

0,972: 🇦🇺 Australian Capital Territory

0,969: 🇨🇭 Zurich

0,964: 🇩🇪 Hamburg

0,959: 🇳🇴 Oslo og Akershus

0,958: 🇳🇴 Vestlandet

0,957: 🇦🇺 Western Australia

0,955: 🇬🇧 London

0,955: 🇺🇸 Massachusetts

0,952: 🇳🇴 Trondelag

0,952: 🇺🇸 Connecticut

0,951: 🇮🇪 Dublin

0,947: 🇳🇴 Agder og Rogaland

0,946: 🇺🇸 District of Columbia

0,946: 🇺🇸 North Dakota

0,945: 🇨🇿 Praha

0,945: 🇩🇰 Hovedstaden

0,945: 🇺🇸 Minnesota

0,944: 🇫🇷 Ile de France

0,944: 🇳🇿 Wellington

0,943: 🇳🇱 Utrecht

They of course noted that a lot of this would look different if things were to be broken down further in certain countries where the immediate subdivisions are too big to capture individual city regions. Of course doing a fair comparison gets even trickier then as some city-regions in this version would need to be broken down much further.

fishmech fucked around with this message at 23:47 on Feb 17, 2019

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Yeah, I think that's one of the problems with the subnational division, as interesting as it is - GDP plays an important role, which means that the population centers with a high concentration of economic activity will be a darker shade, even if the generated wealth doesn't necessarily flow back to the people who live there. Many of the cities in question such as London and Brussels have serious problems with issues like poverty, crime, and urban decay.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

This is insanely cool.

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Mantis42 posted:

Where did you find that map, because that seems heavily suspect in lots of ways. Did the HDI people release this?

fishmech posted:

0,955: 🇺🇸 Massachusetts

0,952: 🇳🇴 Trondelag

0,952: 🇺🇸 Connecticut

:cripes:

Phlegmish posted:

Yeah, I think that's one of the problems with the subnational division, as interesting as it is - GDP plays an important role, which means that the population centers with a high concentration of economic activity will be a darker shade, even if the generated wealth doesn't necessarily flow back to the people who live there. Many of the cities in question such as London and Brussels have serious problems with issues like poverty, crime, and urban decay.

Is it just the economic activity? Or also the pay that follows people home.
CT being so enormously high in the second map doesn't seem explainable by just what we have here. There is HUGE wealth in the state, but lots of it comes from people who go to work in NYC. So their activity is over state borders... otherwise I don't get how we can be so absurdly high.

Grape fucked around with this message at 03:49 on Feb 18, 2019

Grevling
Dec 18, 2016

Ras Het posted:

Actually it's good since development per the existing model is destroying the biosphere and we need to reverse it asap

Emptyquote.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.
https://twitter.com/esthermcvey1/status/1097449128504819713

That’s quite the map, Esther.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos
does that train picture in the background have a giant watermark on it?

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!
A watermark that reads Adobe Stock no less.

Sir Bobert Fishbone
Jan 16, 2006

Beebort
Adobe Rolling Stock

Laurenz
Dec 21, 2015

They call him little janny hotpockets. He was terrific, he was the best, and he did it for free too.
northern england

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Hainaut and London are like the little dots of the opposite color in the yin-yang symbol. ☯

Edit: actual map of HS2:

Kinda hosed up that the UK doesn't have high speed rail yet. Except for the tiny bit between the Channel Tunnel and London.

Cat Mattress fucked around with this message at 17:31 on Feb 18, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Hainaut is poor for exactly the same reason that a lot of those Northern English places are - post-industrial decay. Thatcher was a piece of poo poo, but I think that particular outcome was hard to prevent.

Of course the Brits are rather unique in that they're not content with merely wrecking their industrial base, they've also decided to YOLO Brexit their way into ruining their service economy