Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Yeah but its fake. Mail icon under tweet, poorly clipped avatar on the reply/add tweet line

Jacob Wohl is likely this stupid, but it wasn't him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jerman999
Apr 26, 2006

This is a lex imperfecta

Handsome Ralph posted:

There was a good article a few years ago about the pats fanbase being from a very blue region and coming to terms with Trump's relationship with Brady and Belichick,
https://www.sbnation.com/2017/1/12/14231496/new-england-patriots-donald-trump-fan-problem

Tldr: it's complicated. There are def. chud fans but I wouldn't go as far to call the entire or even the majority of the fanbase chuds.

538 did a survey: https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/how-every-nfl-teams-fans-lean-politically/amp/

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

BUG JUG posted:

*Watches the third facebook argument THIS WEEK on his wall about how people from Malden/Waltham/Dedham shouldn't say they are from Boston* do tell.

lol, one time some dude wandered into the bar I watch Pats games at in DC. Started loudly yelling about how he was from Southie and he was more Boston than anyone there. They kicked him out in short order.

It really is the dumbest loving pissing match.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

45 ACP CURES NAZIS posted:

im all in on warren FYI

at this point i am too, unless duckworth comes running in on robot death legs to declare

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

hobbesmaster posted:

Brady's age will catch up to him eventually.

It already is, his production is not what it was. His stats look good because he's throwing much shorter routes than he used to, and taking fewer chances. But the idea that the Pats (or any other top-tier team) is going to jump on a 31 year old QB whose best season was 7 years ago (his second in the league) is far-fetched. I could see him going somewhere that needs an experienced QB to bridge the gap while they hunt for their long-term solution, but that solution isn't Kaep unless he's got some kind of miracle second wind.

Godholio fucked around with this message at 03:47 on Feb 18, 2019

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

He wouldn't be the worst addition to the Ravens.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
Kaep is still probably better than a third of the starting QBs in the league because holy gently caress is there a lack of NFL compatible QB talent coming out of college.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

Godholio posted:

It already is, his production is not what it was. His stats look good because he's throwing much shorter routes than he used to, and taking fewer chances. But the idea that the Pats (or any other top-tier team) is going to jump on a 31 year old QB whose best season was 7 years ago (his second in the league) is far-fetched. I could see him going somewhere that needs an experienced QB to bridge the gap while they hunt for their long-term solution, but that solution isn't Kaep unless he's got some kind of miracle second wind.

As long as someone like Mark Sanchez has a job in the NFL, it's dumb that Kaep doesn't.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

Proud Christian Mom posted:

Kaep is still probably better than a third of the starting QBs in the league because holy gently caress is there a lack of NFL compatible QB talent coming out of college.

NFL compatible means at least 8 TBI's right? We have been cutting back on those starting with the peewee leagues lately.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Wow, Sanchez does actually still have the backup job at Washington despite being pulled for the third string?

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus
sport ball team very important

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

ded posted:

Players (especially non-stars) and refs/support staff should get paid more at the expense of the owners' take-home shares. That's my strongest sportsball conviction, aside from maybe do everything you possibly can to make it safe, even if it means changing the way kids play so much that the NFL gets aged into having to follow suit.

Next tell us you don't own a TV.

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

ded posted:

Please, tell us about your favorite animes

Bored As Fuck
Jan 1, 2006
Fun Shoe

M_Gargantua posted:

NFL compatible means at least 8 TBI's right? We have been cutting back on those starting with the peewee leagues lately.

Honestly? Kaep getting the $60-80 million settlement (or whatever it was) and NOT having to play 4-10 years getting his head knocked around, suffering however many concussions and sub-concussion level hits over and over again is a pretty nice consolation prize. I know the dude wanted to play, and gently caress the NFL for blacklisting him, but he's gonna be away ahead of his peers in 30-40 years when it comes to brain function.

I used to love football, but after reading up on CTE and all that poo poo, it kind of took away from the fun of it. The concussion poo poo was bad enough, but CTE is a whole other ball game (no pun intended).

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Cacati in mano e pigliati a schiaffi!

mlmp08 posted:

Players (especially non-stars) and refs/support staff should get paid more at the expense of the owners' take-home shares. That's my strongest sportsball conviction, aside from maybe do everything you possibly can to make it safe, even if it means changing the way kids play so much that the NFL gets aged into having to follow suit.

Next tell us you don't own a TV.

Stadiums shouldnt be tax funded unless tax payers get returns on events. Ticket sales and consessions go to owners. Thats bullshit imo since they dont own the loving place.

Players should be paid decently but not obscenely.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon

sharknado slashfic posted:

Please, tell us about your favorite animes

Batman the Animated Series ofc

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost
Rookies make roughly 500K/year their first couple of years averaged out, and the average NFL career is like 3 years. That's after doing all of the goddamned football for their youth and playing for free in college. If you're a rookie and only do 3 years and don't become a mid-tier pay longer-term player, you've just smashed your body/mind into the game nonstop from probably age 6 to age 25 and walk away with 1.5 million, pre-tax/expenses. And :rip: if you are a rising star about to get mad contracts and then get hurt or something else that ends or significantly derails the career.

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

10,363 snaps and not a playoff win to show for it

Soulex posted:

Stadiums shouldnt be tax funded unless tax payers get returns on events. Ticket sales and consessions go to owners. Thats bullshit imo since they dont own the loving place.

Players should be paid decently but not obscenely.

Players are getting less than half of the revenue, are you arguing owners should get more? Most of that revenue comes from TV contracts not tickets and concessions.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon

mlmp08 posted:

Rookies make roughly 500K/year their first couple of years averaged out, and the average NFL career is like 3 years. That's after doing all of the goddamned football for their youth and playing for free in college. If you're a rookie and only do 3 years and don't become a mid-tier pay longer-term player, you've just smashed your body/mind into the game nonstop from probably age 6 to age 25 and walk away with 1.5 million, pre-tax/expenses. And :rip: if you are a rising star about to get mad contracts and then get hurt or something else that ends or significantly derails the career.

So like 15 years of enlistment but accomplished in only 3? Lose-lose!

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon

Flikken posted:

Players are getting less than half of the revenue, are you arguing owners should get more? Most of that revenue comes from TV contracts not tickets and concessions.

I think he means that all stadium revenue should go back to the municipality since the area is what's actually paying for the stadium in the first place.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost
Except you don't have to like... set your whole life up to be the absolute top tier athletic dude at a big university to enlist.

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

M_Gargantua posted:

I think he means that all stadium revenue should go back to the municipality since the area is what's actually paying for the stadium in the first place.

Agreed but he was also arguing for less salary for the players.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon

Flikken posted:

Personally I'd argue for 'removing' the owners permenantly and paying the players a good and consistent wage. Rich sportsball owners are a pox on the nation.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

M_Gargantua posted:

Personally I'd argue for 'removing' the owners permenantly and paying the players a good and consistent wage. Rich sportsball owners are a pox on the nation.

Transfer ownership of teams to the NFLPA?

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

M_Gargantua posted:

Rich are a pox on the nation.

Fixed

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

M_Gargantua posted:

No disagreement there.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

mlmp08 posted:

As long as someone like Mark Sanchez has a job in the NFL, it's dumb that Kaep doesn't.

True.

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

Josh Johnson has a job.

Christian Hackenburg and Nathan Peterman were rostered while Kap couldn't get a work out.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

I said the top teams don't need him, not that he doesn't belong in the league.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Cacati in mano e pigliati a schiaffi!

Flikken posted:

Not really no. More even distribution.
Ill use soccer as an example since I know it best.

Italian team Juventus just signed someone for 518,000 dollars a week. Not Ronaldo who is also on an equally obscene wage. Juventus obviously are the heavyweights and get more money from league tv rights and such. They own their stadium. Udinese also own their own stadium but is significantly worse off. In fact, the big money signing can pay for almost ALL of Udinese's wages (.7 million weekly). Same league, same colors, yet Juventus are allowed to do financially better due to a bunch of legit and not so legit business.

Is it fair for one team to be able to inflate the median wage for athletes? What happens when that money isnt shared? Well, if you have seen Serie A at all, youll know Juventus are running away with their 8th staright league title. poo poo, the second place team a few years back had 91 points in second place. That is a good first place point showing over 36 games. But second place because other teams cant afford it.

Media rights need to be more fair to the smaller teams, and part of that is imimenting something like a wage cap. poo poo, referees in some leagues have to work a second job. Media money is also heavily favored to the big name, and while I get it, the name shouldnt be taking a chunk large enough to create division.

I think atheletes need to be paid what they are worth, but not so that they make half a million in a week. And to be clear, he makes more than Ronaldo does, who is a world class athlete and possible rapist.

I think college athletes should be paid something. I think atheletes should also have opportunities for employment or what have you after retirement.

So no, not all athletes should be paid less. Just the ones that make stupid money.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost
Here is part of why I lol at centrists. It's not that they agree with an idiot like Tim Poole, but people like him and his fans will occasionally try to look reasonable to court the centrists. Just asking questions, etc, and swearing they have no real dog in the fight over hotbutton issue X.

But then:

If someone doing all that bullshit feels at home with centrists and calls himself one, oh boy, centrists are hosed up.

(Yes, I realize your average Joe American can barely name the VP, much less lovely internet political hacks who pretend to be journos)

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon
I have trouble believing thats not a troll youtube channel. Reality has gone from internet trolls to quintuple false flag MSM ringers

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

M_Gargantua posted:

I have trouble believing thats not a troll youtube channel. Reality has gone from internet trolls to quintuple false flag MSM ringers

If this is a troll, it's years-running with the same message and has become the thing it was mocking/trolling. Tim Pool is a real loving piece of work who is just barely able to keep it together enough for reactionaries to watch it and feel like they're serious intellectuals unlike those Infowars people.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?

mlmp08 posted:

Discussion: having no facts and assuming someone is lying about an attack is lovely. Wait until such an allegation of false reporting is substantiated.

E: I’d probably have a flipped opinion if 95%+ of reported racially motivated attacks or DV or sexual assaults were false flags. But that’s not the world we live in.

I went back to see if I remembered how the initial incident was talked about in this thread, and I don't see any of this general systemic mistrust of victims of racial violence that you seem to be insinuating over the last few days happening.

The very first responses were people sarcastically pointing out that a broken law enforcement system with a deeply-rooted history of systemic racism would probably end up not finding a racial motivation behind the crime.
Even Chievache, the one you seem to be beefing with over this, condemned the perpetrators as "racists and homophobes" in the post where he pointed out that an attack that the victim itself reported as a random targeting of person of color seemed odd based on the fact that the perpetrators happened to casually have a noose ready to go.
The only other posts I can find that are even remotely close to the way you're portraying the reaction of the thread are ones indicating there had to be more to the story, possibly even this having been a premeditated attack by racists (that must have been stalking him or seeking him out in some way), but made to look "random" for odd reasons.

Then there are a couple of comments about not needing to immediately play devil's advocate, and the whole discussion basically ended after under two pages. I'm with you on the point where, a couple of days ago, unsubstantiated reports surfacing shouldn't be trusted until factual reports emerge, but I just don't see this picture you're painting of something really systemic being broken in the thread like it's full of MAGA idiots that immediately blame a victim of racial violence as a liar and would still double-down on that position even once an investigation supported their argument.

I mean, as somone else pointed out, it's a thread to discuss current events. Let's discuss current events. If a story seems odd, I don't see why it shouldn't be discussed. And the story wasn't declared as "odd" by some posters because they were somehow having trouble acknowledging that there's a rampant problem with racism in the US, I don't think anyone in this thread has trouble admitting that.

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer
That subreddit is actually mocking centrists, what a loving clown

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon
The internet is trolls all the way down :hmmyes:

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Slim Pickens posted:

That subreddit is actually mocking centrists, what a loving clown

Yeah, for a subreddit it's not unbearable. Someone missed the point majorly

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Mohammed Atta did nothing wrong.

Goldman Sachs asks, "Is curing patients a sustainable business model?"

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

People will defend this poo poo even if it affects them personally. It's wild

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Godholio posted:

I said the top teams don't need him, not that he doesn't belong in the league.

AFC Playoff teams:
Chiefs
Pats
Texans
Ravens
Chargers
Colts

Of those, the Texans and Ravens would have benefitted from Kaep.

NFC Playoff teams:
Saints
Rams
Bears
Cowboys
Seahawks
Eagles

Of those, the bears, cowboys, and rams would have benefitted from having Kaep.

Top teams could absolutely benefit from having a good to great QB which Kaep absolutely was. Almost half of the playoff teams this year had a QB worse than Kaepernick.