Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Godholio posted:

Allow me to offset your anecdote with mine: 45 minute/40 mile each way commute at my previous job.

Mine isn't an anecdote though?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

ratbert90 posted:

Anecdotes can be true.

quote:

An anecdote is a brief, revealing account of an individual person or an incident

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

Anecdotes can be true.

ratbert90 is referring to the fact that they were referencing actual data: https://www.visualcapitalist.com/average-commute-u-s-states-cities/

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
I went looking for the underlying data, but was unable to find commute time broken down by actual time, rather than state / metropolis / etc. It would be interesting to see how it breaks down.

https://factfinder.census.gov/faces/nav/jsf/pages/searchresults.xhtml?refresh=t

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.
i have students who commute 2 hours/100 miles each way but that's because that's how far you have to live outside of san francisco to afford an apartment on a student budget

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Sagebrush posted:

i have students who commute 2 hours/100 miles each way but that's because that's how far you have to live outside of san francisco to afford an apartment on a student budget

Which sure is a thing, but which one of those students is driving a Tesla or even a Leaf to school?

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

ratbert90 posted:

Ah, I missed that it came from the article.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.
Most people drove 40 miles a day or fewer: https://arstechnica.com/cars/2016/08/shorter-range-electric-cars-meet-the-needs-of-almost-all-us-drivers/

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

How is 74 miles the "distance for which half of all vehicle trips could be covered on one charge," while 87% of all trips are 73 miles or less?

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Godholio posted:

How is 74 miles the "distance for which half of all vehicle trips could be covered on one charge," while 87% of all trips are 73 miles or less?

The 74 mile figure is the median distance at which a 2013 Nissan Leaf will run out of juice, according to their model.

It’s just saying that it might get a few miles more or less, depending on weather and other factors.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Winter miles?

This is where I get annoyed by these kinds of claims. If it barely gets the job done under ideal conditions, what happens when I've got 3 fat passengers and we're blasting heat or AC or whatever in traffic?

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal

Godholio posted:

Winter miles?

This is where I get annoyed by these kinds of claims. If it barely gets the job done under ideal conditions, what happens when I've got 3 fat passengers and we're blasting heat or AC or whatever in traffic?

You park at a charger?

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

No chargers in this part of town. But that's ignoring the problem.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
Maybe your fat friends could use some walking?

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?
This is the worst thread.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

MrOnBicycle posted:

No where near it until C-Spam gets deleted

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Godholio posted:

Winter miles?

A 6-year old Leaf isn't a great winter vehicle, no. A Bolt, a Kona or a Model 3 will have ample winter range, your local charging infrastructure may vary.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

MrOnBicycle posted:

My man have you even seen the F1 thread?

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?

big crush on Chad OMG posted:

My man have you even seen the F1 thread?

No but oh god I can only imagine...

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Goddamn can Nissan make a hybrid or EV Kicks sometime soon?

I know it probably doesn't fit with the "dirt cheap" ethos of the thing but I'd be all over that thing if it wasn't an ICE vehicle.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

There is a place in the market for short range cars, less battery means less cost and less weight.

Just make sure that the battery is managed properly so it can continue to get that sort of range long term. I have an early Japanese Leaf and it its absolutely fine for my usage at the moment but with a few more years usage it's going to be cutting it a bit fine.

spandexcajun
Feb 28, 2005

Suck the head for a little extra cajun flavor
Fallen Rib
Amazon is tossing Rivian 700 mil, so the likelihood of them actually bringing a vehicle (and not just being another Fisker) to market just got a lot better.

Good news for EVs as far as I can tell, I think Amazon sees the missing innovation (or capability) from traditional automakers in the EV space and has so much $$$ it figured, why not get a foot into this market.

Bezos and Musk have been (somewhat friendly) tech rivals forever so maybe this is part of that as well.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

Ok then

spandexcajun posted:

Bezos and Musk have been (somewhat friendly) tech rivals forever so maybe this is part of that as well.
Probably mostly this.

funeral home DJ
Apr 21, 2003

Pillbug

ilkhan posted:

Probably mostly this.

Also Amazon isn’t stupid, and an EV delivery truck that gets 200 miles to a charge and can haul like 1,500 lbs of poo poo is an excellent way to be able to deliver packages on the cheap with your underpaid drivers who pay you for access to the truck.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
Truck leases, Truck leases everywhere! Monthly pay $2,500, Truck Lease $1,500, Truck charger access $999.

Cockmaster
Feb 24, 2002

Ripoff posted:

Also Amazon isn’t stupid, and an EV delivery truck that gets 200 miles to a charge and can haul like 1,500 lbs of poo poo is an excellent way to be able to deliver packages on the cheap with your underpaid drivers who pay you for access to the truck.

For what it's worth, they've also invested in a self-driving vehicle startup:

https://www.cnn.com/2019/02/07/tech/amazon-autonomous-vehicles/index.html

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
My company is providing the charging hardware for Amazon. :smug:

Bone Crimes
Mar 7, 2007

drgitlin posted:

I haven’t heard anything of the sort and VW told me it was still on track for 2020 a few weeks ago.

So I've seen on another board that the ID ( I think they're calling the hatchback "ID 3") isn't coming to the US, but the cross over and the bus (Crozz/Microbus) are coming for sale in the US. Did VW actually say the hatchback was coming, or just that 'the platform' is coming? Not getting the hatch would be really disappointing. :\

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

One week until Zero announces their new bike!

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!

Ola posted:

One week until Zero announces their new bike!

I wonder how much they laughed when they saw Harley's offering and the price.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Jiminy Christmas! Shoes! posted:

I wonder how much they laughed when they saw Harley's offering and the price.

I hope heartily, and not "heh heh, it's HUNDREDS of dollars more than ours!"

Ola fucked around with this message at 17:34 on Feb 18, 2019

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

Zero's flagship motorcycle, the DSR, costs $16.5k. That's not cheap.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Nfcknblvbl posted:

That's still in the price bracket of expensive motorcycles, not mid range cars like HD.

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!

Nfcknblvbl posted:

And yet, nearly half the MSRP ($29,799) of the Harley Livewire!

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

Ola posted:

That's still in the price bracket of expensive motorcycles, not mid range cars like HD.

My Husky 701 cost $4k less than that, and it's closely related in motorcycle style to Zero's offerings. Husqvarna's enduro and supermoto bikes are at the top of the price range.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Nfcknblvbl posted:

My Husky 701 cost $4k less than that, and it's closely related in motorcycle style to Zero's offerings. Husqvarna's enduro and supermoto bikes are at the top of the price range.

In Norway, an optioned out Zero DSR is cheaper than an F850GS. Fair comparison? It's two different apples, but neither is an orange. I'm anyway not expecting the people's electric bike to roll out of a low volume California manufacturer. I bet the next one will be more expensive than the SR, but the most important question is the feature set. The SR is more like the early Tesla Roadsters, no particular fancy tech, no fast charging. Will the next one be a Model S?

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

Ok then
The Lightning Strike and the Zero DS/R both look interesting to me, though probably out of my price range. The Strike especially, as I want the performance more than the off-road, and the existing Zero range is pretty drat bad.

funeral home DJ
Apr 21, 2003

Pillbug

Ola posted:

In Norway, an optioned out Zero DSR is cheaper than an F850GS. Fair comparison? It's two different apples, but neither is an orange. I'm anyway not expecting the people's electric bike to roll out of a low volume California manufacturer. I bet the next one will be more expensive than the SR, but the most important question is the feature set. The SR is more like the early Tesla Roadsters, no particular fancy tech, no fast charging. Will the next one be a Model S?

My idiot guess is a higher-voltage battery pack to allow HVDC charging, maybe some rudimentary and easy water cooling to keep complexity down but let them run the batteries harder to get a faster quarter mile for bench spec racers to ogle over. Maybe some integrated traction control stuff as well to keep up with their competitors in that price range.

They may get Öhlins or another super-pricey suspension company to buy in at this point, but we’ll see.

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

The Lightning Strike sounds like a real winner if it has all the specs they announced at $13k.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

silence_kit
Jul 14, 2011

by the sex ghost

ratbert90 posted:

80 Miles a day is a crazy amount.

The average commute is less than 20 minutes.
https://www.visualcapitalist.com/average-commute-u-s-states-cities/
Even in the longest commute cities, it's no more than 30~ minutes on average (which is probably around 15 miles in a city.)

80 Miles per day would be wayyyyy above normal.

Are they averaging in commute times for people who do not work (i.e. commute == 0 minutes)? I find it really hard to believe that average commute times for people in the San Francisco Bay Area and in LA is less than 30 minutes.