Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Josherino)

Bearded Whiteguy
Mar 2, 2018

I APPROPRIATE THE PLIGHT OF OTHER RACES TO FILL THE VOID OF BEING A FAT USELESS FUCK

Chokes McGee posted:

I swear I'm going to compile all this poo poo into an op at some point but for now there's nothing wrong with benzos if you have an anxiety disorder AND you take as directed. Clonapin is a godsend for me.

As always, it depends on your diagnosis and how your body reacts.

To be clear, I specifically mean for personality disorders. If Clonapin works for you I don’t want to dismiss or discourage that. If you have BPD, STPD, APD, etc, Benzos have notoriously bad side effects and can exasperated the issues more than help. But if you are having major episodes or breaks, they can be used for intervention. For people suffering from Manic Depression Bipolar, schizoaffective, or schizophrenia, they are a godsend. So please don’t think I’m dismissing them out of hand. I should have made that more clear.

To piggy back on what some of the others have said, having a bad experience with a therapist is devastating. Another issue is that sometimes you have a good relationship with a bad therapist who gives bad treatment. But that is why at this point I push for CBT and DBT therapists. They always have certifications, modalities you can research, and treatment plans that include things you can google/wiki and find if it’s bs or not.

As far as their political opinions go, well, that really depends on your area. One thing that’s a good indicator right away is if they treat LGBT people (and not faith based treatment). But even that is just a way to spot immediate red flags. You’re going to have to just find one that works for you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Big Fuckin Hornet
Nov 1, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
as someone with highly med-resistant depression (all the drugs i tried rarely gave me even the bad side effects) DBT is indeed a godsend. it was a weekly class spanning two years, just hammering away at that workbook twice over. putting the work in sucked rear end but after like 18 mo. my brain just started to work better, despite my pessimism.

i am a firm believer that most people in general need dbt therapy

GoluboiOgon
Aug 19, 2017

by Nyc_Tattoo
deleted

GoluboiOgon has issued a correction as of 21:30 on Jan 14, 2020

Gnossiennes
Jan 7, 2013

Loving chairs more every day!

I am dealing with adhd, p much lifelong dysthymia, and cptsd, but i gotta say, the best med i've been on for just the depression was an maoi. unfortunately it didn't do enough to help with the ADHD, and can't be taken with ADHD stims.

but, if you're dealing with treatment resistant depression, and your insurance will pay for it (cause warning, it's fuckin expensive), I rec asking ask about emsam/selegiline.

the patch vers requires no dietary adjustment at the starting dose, and tbqh the dietary requirements for the higher dose are probably overly cautious (but even then, it's basically just don't eat fermented foods, take ephedrine, etc).

other than that, it had the most minimal side effects of any antidepressant i've ever taken, and i've pretty much taken all of them.

unfortunately, i can't take it anymore, but i'm trying trazodone at night, adhd meds during the day. but tbqh i don't really expect to ever fully shake off dysthymia. i think it's just a part of me/the way my brain reacts to how i need to live in society.

speaking of which, Jonathan Crary's book 24/7 is pretty good, and has helped me understand some of my insomnia better, esp this passage:

quote:

Insomnia, (Levinas) argues, is a way of imagining the extreme difficulty of individual responsibility in the face of the catastrophes of our era. Part of the modernized world we inhabit is the ubiquitous visibility of useless violence and the human suffering it causes. This visibility, in all its mixed forms, is a glare that ought to thoroughly disturb any complacency, that ought to preclude the restful unmindfulness of sleep. Insomnia corresponds to the necessity of vigilance, to a refusal to overlook the horror and injustice that pervades the world. It is the disquiet of the effort to avoid inattention to the torment of the Other. But its disquiet is also the frustrating inefficacy of an ethic of watchfulness; the act of witnessing and its monotony can become a mere enduring of the night, of the disaster. It is neither in public nor fully private. For Levinas, insomnia always hovers between a self-absorption and a radical depersonalization; it does not exclude a concern for the Other, but it provides no clear sense of a space for the Other's presence. It is where we face the near impossibility of living humanely. For sleeplessness must be distinguished from an unrelieved wakefulness, with its almost unbearable attention to suffering and the boundlessness of responsibility that would impose.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.
I keep hearing good things about dbt over and over again, so it’s definitely something to look into that’s helping a lot of people. one of my big frustrations with cbt was how things seem kind of ineffective until you finally get the ball rolling full steam and my understanding is that dbt doesn’t have any of that buy in time baked in.

I’ve especially heard really good things about it for ptsd, but a lot of bpd people swear by it, too.

Poniard
Apr 3, 2011

All versions of cbt do not effect me

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Poniard posted:

All versions of cbt do not effect me

this is all or nothing thinking :v:

Poniard
Apr 3, 2011

I have tried even the most exotic forms of cock and ball torture I do not feel a thing

A Big Fuckin Hornet
Nov 1, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
DBT really is just like a kind of brainwashing. like you'll do it for a year and you will still feel like poo poo and wonder what the hell this is all for, and then one day it will just click and suddenly you are just doing the skills instead of working up the strength to make a conscious effort. or worse, like winding up back up in a hospital.

mekyabetsu
Dec 17, 2018

I lost my dad. He's still alive, but now he's a Trumpist. He's always been a conservative, but then Trump came along, and it all fell apart. I'm a mixed race guy, and my white chud dad can't get it through his head that Trump and the modern GOP is opposed to my very existence. I told him that by voting for Trump and GOP candidates that he's literally voting for the racist white fucks who kicked my rear end when I was a kid growing up in white suburbia. He doesn't care. It's more important that he gets to have his guns and keep all his money. This man who I loved beyond reason for so long ... just isn't anymore.

I hate Donald Trump. I have never in my life hated anyone more than I hate Donald Trump. The chuds are right. He won. He beat me.

I just want everything to end.

redsniper
Feb 15, 2012
I just read all of Man's Search for Meaning in one go because of this thread and it's extremely good. Helps me feel a bit less nihilistic. I highly recommend.

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop

mekyabetsu posted:

I hate Donald Trump. I have never in my life hated anyone more than I hate Donald Trump. The chuds are right. He won. He beat me.

Yeah yeah I think we've all lost a parent this way. It sucks but don't beat yourself up over it, it's a universal experience. I started recognizing my mom's lifelong behavior as a cultist when I was 14. She's still the same, but now we have TROMP to make it more obvious. In some ways it's refreshing that the quiet gaslighting of conservatism has forgotten how to be subtle enough to blend in with rational voices, and it's currently radicalizing a lot of extra people who otherwise would never have noticed the insidiousness of conservative politics. It will take time but there will be huge effects in the next generation, even if our parents are all mentally lost forever. History will tell the story of the generational war we lived in.

Ayin
Jan 6, 2010

Have a great day.
hi thread, I don't post in cspam much but I do lurk

Siljmonster posted:

Buspar changed me for good. The physical and mental pain of anxiety is almost gone with it. Now onto the other meds...

Oh wow, you're the first other person I've ever encountered who had a positive experience with buspar :aaa:
I'm actually bummed that I had to go off of it (it was sabotaging my new prescription, which was nonetheless way more effective than my old paxil/buspar duo). It even made my as-needed migraine prescription (promethazine) work better, while no-buspar-and-just-strattera sabotages it :(

and speaking of that,

Siljmonster posted:

Effexor is some horse poo poo of withdrawals
I'm on 20mg of paxil for another two weeks before my doc has to decide how to handle getting me off of that. wish me luck :rip:
(but i'm coming down from a high of 60mg, and the only likely withdrawl symptoms I've had were swollen lymph nodes with no accompanying illness, and baby panic attacks shortly before and after each dose drop, so.. so far so good)

(I know that being on two S*RIs simultaneously is a really dumb move, but i'm also really relieved that it shook out this way. It's been 13 years since I was prescribed the paxil, so it was surely time to move away, and I REALLY didn't want to deal with the potential withdrawl nightmare with NO other psych med)

hang in there, friendly acquaintences. sometimes you roll a nat20 in life, even if it was just for side-effects

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

What's the general consensus on Effexor? it can actually make you more tired/exhausted?

I'm currently on 300mg Venlafaxine(Effexor) and 30mg Mirtazapine. Before that it was 150mg Effexor and 60mg Mirtazpine and I think the next stage will be 450mg Effexor and 15mg or no Mirtazpine and now I'm kinda worried if the effexor could be the issue it'll mean at least another month of no progress.

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 10 years!)

CODChimera posted:

What's the general consensus on Effexor? it can actually make you more tired/exhausted?

I'm currently on 300mg Venlafaxine(Effexor) and 30mg Mirtazapine. Before that it was 150mg Effexor and 60mg Mirtazpine and I think the next stage will be 450mg Effexor and 15mg or no Mirtazpine and now I'm kinda worried if the effexor could be the issue it'll mean at least another month of no progress.

Personally I can't remember because I was never just on Effexor, it was always in combination with a flux of other drugs. I remember the brain zaps, though.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

redsniper posted:

I just read all of Man's Search for Meaning in one go because of this thread and it's extremely good. Helps me feel a bit less nihilistic. I highly recommend.

:hellyeah:

it’s a real good book and Will to Meaning is a fantastic antidote to today’s times

Poniard
Apr 3, 2011

:thunk:

Bearded Whiteguy
Mar 2, 2018

I APPROPRIATE THE PLIGHT OF OTHER RACES TO FILL THE VOID OF BEING A FAT USELESS FUCK

CODChimera posted:

That’s a pretty large dose, but not unheard of. Basically, Effexor is the 2nd gen Anti-depressant meds that came out in the 90s. They have lower side effects but can still have a lot for people. The good thing about them is they’re really cheap. Like crazy cheap. But I’ve known people that lose their appetite and have issues with sex after taking it long term. There’s also withdrawal symptoms if you stop taking them.

Here’s the thing, do you like your psychiatrist? Do you trust them? Have you been having little to no side effects? Do you feel better since taking it? If you can’t answer these questions in the affirmative, then you’re going to have to do some thinking and talking to either your doc or another one.

As a warning PLEASE DO NOT STOP TAKING IT!! Effexor is an SNRI and can cause withdrawal. Once you talk to your doc about all of this, and if you decide to try something else, you will need to ween off of it. Your doc will give you a plan and it can take awhile. It’s extremely important to follow that plan.

If you don’t trust your doc (not saying you shouldn’t trust them as you haven’t mentioned any red flags, but just in case) you should get a new one if you can. When it comes to these decisions it’s really important to have a good relationship with the person prescribing you, but also to recognize that this is about your treatment. If you feel you are not getting the right care, then shop around if you can. Keep in mind that getting a new doc can take a long time but it’s important to trust and get good advice from the person prescribing you.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

mekyabetsu posted:

I lost my dad. He's still alive, but now he's a Trumpist. He's always been a conservative, but then Trump came along, and it all fell apart. I'm a mixed race guy, and my white chud dad can't get it through his head that Trump and the modern GOP is opposed to my very existence. I told him that by voting for Trump and GOP candidates that he's literally voting for the racist white fucks who kicked my rear end when I was a kid growing up in white suburbia. He doesn't care. It's more important that he gets to have his guns and keep all his money. This man who I loved beyond reason for so long ... just isn't anymore.

Hi, mekyabetsu. You probably don’t need me to tell you this, but you’re currently, actively suicidal. I am not a doctor, but as a suicide survivor, I urge you to seek help NOW rather than after you make an attempt.

Please take a moment to add this number to your phone:

tel:1-800-273-8255

it’s the suicide prevention hotline. add it to your favorites. then, if you can afford the money and time, consider a stay in a mental hospital. If not, you definitely need a therapist on the reg specializing in suicides. check out this site’s search engine:

https://www.psychologytoday.com

And look for a depression support meetup here:

https://www.meetup.com

Please do not end your life over the fat orange pisshog, he’s not worth it. Instead, find a group you can band together with IRL that makes you happy. (I love c-spam, but that doesn’t count :p) Even in hellworld, there are still good peeps and beauty to see. You deserve to feel better so you can take part of it.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

:hmmyes:

Dreddout
Oct 1, 2015

You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you.

This is what I tell every Subway employee I meet

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Dreddout posted:

This is what I tell every Subway employee I meet

we mostly do, yeah

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

StashAugustine posted:

we mostly do, yeah

where are my goddamn fries

Bearded Whiteguy
Mar 2, 2018

mekyabetsu posted:

2nd Chokes on this. My dude, that is straight up awful. I’m a dumb white dude so there’s no way I could understand what that feels like to lose your dad like this. It must be insanely hard for you. Please talk to someone. The hotline is amazing and they will have resources for you. Otherwise, please look into getting some care through what we linked earlier.

I know it doesn’t seem like it, but there are people who care. What’s helped me is getting back involved in local politics and 2018 was a big year for us in SoCal. It was really amazing to see how many first time voters there were who wanted the pissbaby out. I was especially amazed with how many 18-25 year olds were involved, so I’m not as fearful for the future as I once was. The kids are alright even if their parents are poo poo. Maybe, once you get some help, volunteer at some youth groups or local elections. But priority has to be on taking care of yourself first. You matter.

Your dad sounds like a real piece of poo poo, my friend. I’m so sorry about that. It must be so hard to have such an invalidating person who gave you life not recognizing the threats to your life. We can’t choose our parents, but you don’t have to do this alone. At the very least, you’ve got some people here who will listen. And maybe this is what you need to get involved if you haven’t already. And if you’re already involved, this could help you realize how important this mission is. People like your father may never change, and that... gently caress that just sucks. Yet, you clearly aren’t him. You care about people. You care about the fate of the world. Hell, you care so much you love your dad! That takes a lot of love to do clearly! That is a good thing. It hurts, it sucks to care that much, but you’re clearly the kind of person, who when they get some help, could help a lot of other people.

That’s pretty much all I wanted to say. You can do this, my friend. You’ve managed to survive this long in a society that treated you like crap with a dad that doesn’t get it. Give them a call. Talk to them. Explain why it hurts so much. And then, when you get through this (because you’re strong and you will), let’s figure out some things for you to do in your local area.

Senator Chuckles
Apr 28, 2013
I'm interested in hearing more from the Lamictal-taking folks in this thread about their experience on it. I've recently switched back to Fluoxetine after about two years on Bupropion. The Bupropion lowered a lot of my anxiety and helped somewhat with my depression but made my thoughts far too cloudy, so I went back to the ol' Prozac/fluoxetine about a month ago. During my last appointment my psychiatrist brought up Lamictal as an alternative but the death-rash stuff kind of spooked me off, mainly because I've got dry skin anyway and I'm not sure I'd even notice the damned thing.

However, the fluoxetine just isn't cutting it so far. My work suffers a lot due both to phone anxiety and the tendency to just want to go back to bed most days. I mostly work from home with little supervision so there's no axe held over me to do things right away. I'm working to get more structure into my life but seem to be doing worse on my new/old meds. The past few days, though, I've been avoiding the news and stuff and have at least stopped taking so many naps. I know this is CSPAM and all that but I really recommend just tuning out on trump for a little bit unless your job or whatever depends on it.

Anyway, back to the Lamictal question: what sort of symptoms have you seen be alleviated by it? My psychiatrist made it seem pretty nice and I'm considering starting it next appointment (or starting the weaning-off of fluoxetine, whichever) but I'm still not sure I want to risk the side-effects. I'm mostly trying to make myself into a functional human being before I start any full-time work so there's this dumb sense of urgency to it but of course I want to approach with caution.

Senator Chuckles has issued a correction as of 22:24 on Feb 18, 2019

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Senator Chuckles posted:

I'm interested in hearing more from the Clonapin-taking folks in this thread about their experience on it. I've recently switched back to Fluoxetine after about two years on Bupropion. The Bupropion lowered a lot of my anxiety and helped somewhat with my depression but made my thoughts far too cloudy, so I went back to the ol' Prozac/fluoxetine about a month ago. During my last appointment my psychiatrist brought up Clonapin as an alternative but the death-rash stuff kind of spooked me off, mainly because I've got dry skin anyway and I'm not sure I'd even notice the damned thing.

However, the fluoxetine just isn't cutting it so far. My work suffers a lot due both to phone anxiety and the tendency to just want to go back to bed most days. I mostly work from home with little supervision so there's no axe held over me to do things right away. I'm working to get more structure into my life but seem to be doing worse on my new/old meds. The past few days, though, I've been avoiding the news and stuff and have at least stopped taking so many naps. I know this is CSPAM and all that but I really recommend just tuning out on trump for a little bit unless your job or whatever depends on it.

Anyway, back to the Clonapin question: what sort of symptoms have you seen be alleviated by it? My psychiatrist made it seem pretty nice and I'm considering starting it next appointment (or starting the weaning-off of fluoxetine, whichever) but I'm still not sure I want to risk the side-effects. I'm mostly trying to make myself into a functional human being before I start any full-time work so there's this dumb sense of urgency to it but of course I want to approach with caution.

hi yes helo

firstly I THINK you may be mixing up clonapin and lamictal with death rash, but if your doctor has told you that as a possibility, please let me know bc I’m currently taking it :stare:

Anyway it’s a benzodiazepine which means it’s meant for acute anxiety, I.e. panic attacks. For me, clonapin is good for taking the edge off spikes but I also take as needed, not as a flat daily routine. a lot of people worry about benzos but if you take them as prescribed and are honest with your doctor you should be fine.

Ativan and Xanax are in the same family btw. For me, ativan kicks in instantly but doesn’t last as long as clonapin. I can’t speak to Xanax, I’ve heard both good and terrible things about it. :shrug:

Senator Chuckles
Apr 28, 2013
I am in fact thinking of Lamictal! Didn't mean to cause any alarm! :ohdear:

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Senator Chuckles posted:

I am in fact thinking of Lamictal! Didn't mean to cause any alarm! :ohdear:

no biggie. Just one of those things you have to double check :v:

now, did you want experiences with clonapin or lamictal?

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Senator Chuckles posted:

I'm interested in hearing more from the Clonapin-taking folks in this thread about their experience on it.

I had a pretty negative experience with it, made me feel foggy like I had a concussion that wasn't going away. According to someone I know with military experience during the second gulf war, if someone was wigging out in the field for a while sometimes the first thing done was to just put them on a really high dose of clonazepam to see if that would calm them down. It's the strongest of the commonly prescribed benzos iirc.

Senator Chuckles
Apr 28, 2013

Chokes McGee posted:

no biggie. Just one of those things you have to double check :v:

now, did you want experiences with clonapin or lamictal?

Lamictal please! From what Hans said it sounds like Clonapin would just cause the same problems as I was having with Bupropion, if not more so.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Senator Chuckles posted:

Lamictal please! From what Hans said it sounds like Clonapin would just cause the same problems as I was having with Bupropion, if not more so.

lamictal is usually used as a first line of defense against bipolar. it’s actually an anticonvulsant, which means it stops seizures, but for some reason it works incredibly well on bipolar because of course it does. I’ve seen dosages anywhere from 200-800 mg depending on what works. the thing is, though, you’ll only get stuff out of it if you have bipolar. for me, it was like flipping a switch: suddenly things had color again and I could talk to people. if you have a similar result, talk to your pdoc about the possibility you have bipolar 2 and were just too goddamned depressed to notice the hypomania.

As far as DEATH RASH goes it’s very rare and usually only happens when you suddenly ramp up or down so stay on your meds once you start!! your doctor will tritate up/down if needed. info if you suddenly bust out into a full torso rash then get to the hospital post haste and you should be fine.

Also, avoid grapefruit. you won’t drop dead or anything but it fucks with the way lamictal works so just don’t do it.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.
also mods pls change my name to DEATH RASH tia

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop
Does anyone else keep a private text file of their own fuckin rad username ideas that they keep hidden from the rest of the forums hoping to use them someday? Is this healthy and normal behavior

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Dumb Lowtax posted:

Does anyone else keep a private text file of their own fuckin rad username ideas that they keep hidden from the rest of the forums hoping to use them someday? Is this healthy and normal behavior

no of course not

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Senator Chuckles posted:

I'm interested in hearing more from the Lamictal-taking folks in this thread about their experience on it. I've recently switched back to Fluoxetine after about two years on Bupropion. The Bupropion lowered a lot of my anxiety and helped somewhat with my depression but made my thoughts far too cloudy, so I went back to the ol' Prozac/fluoxetine about a month ago. During my last appointment my psychiatrist brought up Lamictal as an alternative but the death-rash stuff kind of spooked me off, mainly because I've got dry skin anyway and I'm not sure I'd even notice the damned thing.

Anyway, back to the Lamictal question: what sort of symptoms have you seen be alleviated by it? My psychiatrist made it seem pretty nice and I'm considering starting it next appointment (or starting the weaning-off of fluoxetine, whichever) but I'm still not sure I want to risk the side-effects. I'm mostly trying to make myself into a functional human being before I start any full-time work so there's this dumb sense of urgency to it but of course I want to approach with caution.

Chokes McGee posted:

lamictal is usually used as a first line of defense against bipolar. it’s actually an anticonvulsant, which means it stops seizures, but for some reason it works incredibly well on bipolar because of course it does. I’ve seen dosages anywhere from 200-800 mg depending on what works. the thing is, though, you’ll only get stuff out of it if you have bipolar. for me, it was like flipping a switch: suddenly things had color again and I could talk to people. if you have a similar result, talk to your pdoc about the possibility you have bipolar 2 and were just too goddamned depressed to notice the hypomania.

As far as DEATH RASH goes it’s very rare and usually only happens when you suddenly ramp up or down so stay on your meds once you start!! your doctor will tritate up/down if needed. info if you suddenly bust out into a full torso rash then get to the hospital post haste and you should be fine.

Also, avoid grapefruit. you won’t drop dead or anything but it fucks with the way lamictal works so just don’t do it.

Yeah, I mentioned this before but I've been to multiple doctors that have never seen the death rash at all. I've been on it for years, including being at the maximum allowable dose for a while, and the only time I've gotten a rash I found out I'm allergic to speed stick :v:. The only case I think my current doctor has had was my wife's rash. But she gets basically every single side effect from any medication ever, and despite her depression being treatment-resistant to the point that she needs ketamine infusions to get through the winter, it worked for her until the rash.

Apparently it's more common for women, not sure if you're a man or a woman. You definitely would notice, it's a gigantic rash and my understanding is it's painful, very different from dry skin. It gets huge before anything bad happens, it won't be a small patch on your back and then you die. What I've heard (a while ago, correct me if I'm wrong) is that the rash eventually spreads to the lungs, which prevents you from breathing.

I'm not going to post a picture because some of them are kind of :nms: but if you look it up you'll see what the rashes look like at later stages, not something you could mistake for dry skin. FWIW my wife's skin looks fine so even if you get the rash your skin will recover. At least assuming you don't ignore it and nearly die, don't know what happens then.

I'm nowhere near a doctor, never even passed a biology class in my life, but from this NIH article it seems like A) It almost always happens within the first few weeks, and B) takes a few weeks to get really bad after initial symptoms. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3905385/

Talk with your doctor some more, if you don't feel comfortable with it, you don't feel comfortable with it, but it's incredibly rare and Lamictal is a fantastic medicine that made a huge change in my life. Not going into details, but I went from completely non-functional to holding down a job within 2 months of taking it. I also started on some other medications in the same timeframe, but Lamictal is the only non-vitamin (I don't process folic acid right so I need the methylated version) out of those that I'm still on.

The only other side-effect I noticed is feeling kind of dazed all day when I forget to take it, and that's become barely noticeable since I went down from the max dose to half of the max dose.

E: Grapefruit, is it just grapefruit that causes it or do other citrus fruits do similar things? I either didn't hear about that or forgot about it. I tend to put lemon in water so that I drink more of it because otherwise I forget and get super dehydrated.

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

22 Eargesplitten posted:

E: Grapefruit, is it just grapefruit that causes it or do other citrus fruits do similar things? I either didn't hear about that or forgot about it. I tend to put lemon in water so that I drink more of it because otherwise I forget and get super dehydrated.

grapefruit only, not all citrus

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer
I got home from my business trip and my very good mom had come over and left me some edibles. hell yea favorite parent.

Jollity Farm
Apr 23, 2010

Wikipedia has a page on it

Also, I have been informed that anyone taking any sort of important medication should avoid those fashionable foods/drinks/supplements containing activated charcoal. It turns out the charcoal can't tell the difference between "toxins" and useful medicine, so will absorb it all and let it pass straight through you. Though it is very easy to avoid these things. LOL if anyone thinks I'm paying £3.50 for a 250ml smoothie full of burnt bits.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

I feel like it's probably not a good idea to eat activated charcoal for fun anyway, especially when black food dye already exists.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Goon Danton
May 24, 2012

Don't forget to show my shitposts to the people. They're well worth seeing.

I had another panic attack today. They're worse than the anxiety attacks, if only because they seem to happen for no reason. Just "finally home from work, gonna take the groceries out of the trunk, oh cool the plastic bags rustling feels like gunshots going off next to my ear, looks like I'm in for a lovely night."

Can SSRIs just stop working one day? I'm on 225mg effexor and in the last few months I feel as bad as I did before I started on any meds or therapy, when I was working with low-grade chemical weapons all day. It being winter doesn't help, but it feels like more than that.

Anyway I'm solidly on team anti-klonopin, but that's because the ER doc who prescribed it gave me thirty and just told me to take one every day until I ran out. Quitting benzos cold turkey with almost no support network was an extremely positive experience I'm glad the doc put me through without any kind of warning or ability to contact him. Also he got the diagnosis wrong anyway, maybe loving perk up a little when a chemist comes in complaining about a sudden onslaught of panic attacks and spontaneous nosebleeds, how often do people come in with cyanide gas exposure, it can't be one of those situations you deal with all the time