Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Annath posted:

Why does there need to be more? People are allowed to dislike something just because they dislike it, there doesn't need to be some deeper reason, and it doesn't need to be justified, despite how goons act. It's an opinion.

People are acting insanely weird and lovely about your posts and I’m sorry that’s the way some people are

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

For those who say that cute or over saturation is not creepy or foreboding go watch movies like the Truman Show or Stepford Wives whose too bright, too clean, too perfect aesthetic are what are supposed to unsettle you throughout the film and make you aware that something is off.

Plus toys like Elf on the Shelf or dolls in general are very common scary objects. So even in that respect you're going about it backwards.

Not that I care for grim-dark LA. It's about waking up with the sun playing slightly on your face missing a beautiful dream you'll never again have but that you're glad you're able to remember. I've only had one waking dream in my life but when I awoke that feeling was the one I had and I lay in bed for minutes afterwards awash in a joyful agony of the passing of the dream.

I've been sitting on this for far too long but I can't believe all that people want from this remake is LA: Noire :smuggo:

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
Just wanted to chime in and say I got ahold of a copy of Captain Toad from the library to test out 2 player mode with my 4 1/2 year old daughter. I had zero interest in this game on Switch, having completed it on the Wii U. The co-op mode is amazing for my daughter. It's right up her alley, I can jump in and help solve puzzles when they are too hard, and I can control all the rotating while she just controls moving her purple toad. The bubble feature is great so that if she's stuck she can just float to my position. She's wanted to pick up all the gems and star so far, and gets really excited about her helping me get them.

We also tried out the Yoshi demo and she thought the 2 Player co-op in Mellow Mode was a ton of fun.

God bless Nintendo for still making co-op, and putting in these easy mode which are perfect for getting little kids into gaming. Like, even Tropical Freeze, with the ability for her to be Dixie and jump on my back and fire a gun has been a blast as the game has ramped up difficulty.

hadji murad
Apr 18, 2006

Astro7x posted:

Just wanted to chime in and say I got ahold of a copy of Captain Toad from the library to test out 2 player mode with my 4 1/2 year old daughter. I had zero interest in this game on Switch, having completed it on the Wii U. The co-op mode is amazing for my daughter. It's right up her alley, I can jump in and help solve puzzles when they are too hard, and I can control all the rotating while she just controls moving her purple toad. The bubble feature is great so that if she's stuck she can just float to my position. She's wanted to pick up all the gems and star so far, and gets really excited about her helping me get them.

We also tried out the Yoshi demo and she thought the 2 Player co-op in Mellow Mode was a ton of fun.

God bless Nintendo for still making co-op, and putting in these easy mode which are perfect for getting little kids into gaming. Like, even Tropical Freeze, with the ability for her to be Dixie and jump on my back and fire a gun has been a blast as the game has ramped up difficulty.

Can you recommend any other Switch games for a kid? We are thinking of introducing games to my daughter around her fourth birthday.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

hadji murad posted:

Can you recommend any other Switch games for a kid? We are thinking of introducing games to my daughter around her fourth birthday.

I have a nephew somewhere over four, he likes Star Allies and Odyssey. Especially the boss fights.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

hadji murad posted:

Kirby is always a pretty good choice for kids. It’s got coop so you can help her.:)

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

100YrsofAttitude posted:

For those who say that cute or over saturation is not creepy or foreboding go watch movies like the Truman Show or Stepford Wives whose too bright, too clean, too perfect aesthetic are what are supposed to unsettle you throughout the film and make you aware that something is off.

Plus toys like Elf on the Shelf or dolls in general are very common scary objects. So even in that respect you're going about it backwards.

Not that I care for grim-dark LA. It's about waking up with the sun playing slightly on your face missing a beautiful dream you'll never again have but that you're glad you're able to remember. I've only had one waking dream in my life but when I awoke that feeling was the one I had and I lay in bed for minutes afterwards awash in a joyful agony of the passing of the dream.

I've been sitting on this for far too long but I can't believe all that people want from this remake is LA: Noire :smuggo:

The children who play this game for kids might enjoy this new artstyle; i just hope for their sake they won't grow up to realize what a disservice it is to the original work I experienced when I was 9

my new dog
May 7, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo

.TakaM posted:

Probably the best amiibo gated content is Wolf Link companion in BOTW

very true. i love my wolf friend. everyone should have a wolf friend.

especially if you have a way to edit the nfc tag to get max hearts. i used https://github.com/HiddenRamblings/TagMo

pictured: me and my wolf friend i still dont have the hylian shield

Fly Ricky
May 7, 2009

The Wine Taster

hadji murad posted:

Mario Kart, Mario,Kart, Mario Kart.

It has an easy mode where all you have to is steer like a wheel and you can't fall off. My now five year old loved it at four.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
The wolf in BOTW is probably the worst implementation of Amiibo gated content that exists in the history of gaming.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

American McGay posted:

The wolf in BOTW is probably the worst implementation of Amiibo gated content that exists in the history of gaming.

I’d argue the amiibo exclusive costumes are even worse since it’s still a random chance to get what you want when you scan them in. You can only scan once a day or you have to save scum to get another chance. I didn’t even bother after completing one set even though I had the amiibo since it was just an annoying slog.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

I have just know found out there's a wolf in BOTW and I can't get it :negative:

HPanda
Sep 5, 2008

American McGay posted:

A runner up is in the original Hyrule Warriors, where one weapon was exclusive to having a Link Amiibo. But yeah, not as bad as needing to have that exact specific Amiibo for Wolf Link plus a different game to make the feature worthwhile.

Quantum of Phallus posted:

They teased it before the game came out and I was sure tameable wolves would be a thing like the horses, and that the Amiibo would just be to get the Link Wolf. So annoyed when that wasn't the case.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

It's very much a feature they were throwing around during early development and decided not to include and then they dug the corpse out when they announced Amiibo support. You're not missing anything.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

I absolutely hated the way ALBW looked. It was just so bland, and all the characters looked like toys but with no life behind them.

Link's Awakening looks the way that game should've. I love it.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
ALBW is a very faithful 3D imagining of the LTTP art style. There's nothing wrong with it and it's well done but ultimately it's just derivative and not particularly interesting.

unimportantguy
Dec 25, 2012

Hey, Johnny, what's a "shitpost"?
Oh, are we doing Zelda hot takes? Because Ocarina of Time is my least favorite Zelda game.

Fun Times!
Dec 26, 2010

Fly Ricky posted:

Mario Kart, Mario,Kart, Mario Kart.

It has an easy mode where all you have to is steer like a wheel and you can't fall off. My now five year old loved it at four.

Actually there is auto-steer and auto-accelerate. The game will literally play itself with no input required. It's great for little kids.

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

I got the dreaded joycon drift problem a few weeks ago, and the compressed air I had lying around wasn't doing the trick, so I finally got around to buying some WD-40 contact cleaner. I flipped up the little rubber skirt around the stick, gave it a quick squirt on either side and worked it around a bit, and the stick is working flawlessly again. I dunno if it's going to be a permanent fix, but it takes less than a minute to do so hopefully it won't be a big deal going forward.

If you're not sure if you have the drift problem or not, go into the controller calibration and test out the stick in question. If you give it a flick in a direction and it doesn't instantaneously snap back to zero, it may need a cleaning. Mine was slightly slow to reset (still pretty fast, but not instant) when flicking upward and a little bit when going downward, but it was easy to compare the reset time to left/right and see that there's clearly a problem.

You may have a drifting joycon and not even know it. Depending on a game's deadzone settings and the repeat delay (i.e., how long an input needs to be held down before it repeatedly sends it, like when you're scrolling through a menu), it might not be enough to affect that particular game. In my case, I first noticed it when playing Tangledeep--there's almost no deadzone, and the zero reset time was just slow enough that it would send one or two extra inputs when in a menu, but my joycon wasn't bad enough to affect other parts of the game.

my new dog
May 7, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo

you can get all the amiibo stuff as cards pretty cheap! no need to buy the toys that admittedly are for gay babies like myself.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

unimportantguy posted:

Oh, are we doing Zelda hot takes? Because Ocarina of Time is my least favorite Zelda game.

Majoras Mask is the worst one and I brook no arguement

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

unimportantguy posted:

Oh, are we doing Zelda hot takes?

i like zelda, he saves the day and doesn't afraid of anything

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Your Computer posted:

You say playing through the intro, did you get into any battles or reach the world map? Because those are the places that run at like 15-20 fps and from what I've heard else (and in this thread) the Switch version is just the same as the PC version?

I fought my way through the Cursed Forest past the first mini-boss. The battles so far have been rather smooth. I'll report more after I finally reach the world map!

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
The revived game is gonna be the third Oracles game

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

I've decided to sell my Nintendo Switch until F-Zero SX is released.

Edit: actually I just remembered about Link's Awakening, never mind.

a7m2
Jul 9, 2012

Zelda 2 was and is still by far the worst Zelda game

Dr. Cool Aids
Jul 6, 2009
A common (or at least semi-frequent) complaint about the Switch is the lack of system level achievement system. Personally I think it is helping to cure me. I readily admit to having whatever brain sickness makes a person chase achievements and when they're not available I can just play the drat game and enjoy it.

Like there's no way in hell I will attempt to get Excalibur 2 in FF9. Whereas if that achievement was available I'd probably end up doing a second playthrough speedrun. I can also ignore Tetra Master and the rope minigame. Similarly there's a lot of dumb poo poo in Skyrim that I have no compulsion to do without that motivation there.

After a few of these games my brain has started to think "why would a little picture and arbitrary points change your mind? You clearly have no natural desire to do this". We will see if it sticks.

Mulderman
Mar 20, 2009

Did someone say axe magnet?

a7m2 posted:

Zelda 2 was and is still by far the worst Zelda game

Zelda 2 is a fine game. Great presentation, good music, responsive controls. It expanded on the series by introducing towns and npc's to interact with, small sidequests, magic, more focus on swordsplay.
In hindsight people look down on it because it's such a deviation from the other titles. But at the time there was no precedent set for the franchise. And everyone I know, who grew up with these games has no issue with it at all.

Of course, in a franchise as Zelda, being the worst game in the series, still makes you pretty good. But there are worse games out there. For example the CDI games. But even if you don't count those. Games like Phantom Hourglass are really not that great.

MZ
Apr 21, 2004

Excuse me while I kiss the sky.

Policenaut posted:

Can anyone comment on how well the 8bitdo Wireless Bluetooth Adapter works on Switch? I kind of want to connect a DS4 to my Switch for D-pad heavy games.

Works great, been using the DS4 for Tetris 99 (it's way better than the Joy Cons for that game).

Just make sure you update the firmware to the latest one - out of the box it was dropping connection randomly but now it's perfect.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Women are wonderful animals, they should be making music and writing novels about having a complex relationship with your mother.
didn't the Link's Awakening trailer imply that the game will have fully animated cutscenes in a different style from the gameplay?

Blotto_Otter
Aug 16, 2013

hadji murad posted:

Agree with the Mario Kart recommendations, auto-steer and auto-accelerate options make it nice and easy for the kids. Kirby's easy and you can play co-op, and Mario Odyssey might take a year or two for her to be able to play much but it's got an "assist mode" that makes it a lot easier. My six year old nephew also loves Arms, the kids really like flailing around with that one. (Just be sure to use the joycon straps.) He also liked Captain Toad but it got too hard for him after the first few levels - but the new co-op update may make it worth revisiting.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

hadji murad posted:

SnipperClips Plus, maybe?

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Gripweed posted:

didn't the Link's Awakening trailer imply that the game will have fully animated cutscenes in a different style from the gameplay?
I don't think it implied anything. The opening cutscene was animated, but so was the original Link's Awakening one so, y'know, who knows v:v:v

god I'm so excited for it

frodnonnag
Aug 13, 2007
My big question is if the dx 'color' dungeon is gonna be in or any sort of extra/alt dungeons Or the pictures/camera stuff.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

Andrast posted:

Octopath looks great

Link's awakening looks great

Same. Octopath and LA are going for two completely different styles. Octopath wanted to capture the nostalgia of the old 16-bit-era RPGs and thus opted for sprites, yet wanted to make it look newer and use all sorts of modern special effects, so they went with the style they did, which works great for what the game was going for. Likewise, Link's Awakening is light-hearted, whimsical, and dream-like, so it makes sense they'd go with an art style that accentuates those qualities and makes it feel like a small adventure in a wacky world.

Those games really would not work if you swapped their art styles, but the art directors know what their games are and how to best represent them, thus the choices they did. I think LA is going to look and feel a lot better once we actually have the game in our hands, but I think it's a pretty clever design and the only thing I'd change are Link's eyes (and an option to disable tilt shift for those who dislike it).

Barudak posted:

The very first thing you do in Octopath Traveler is turn off the godawful screen edge effects that make the game look uglier than it already is.

The second thing you do is realize its not really a finished concept.

I'm glad they didn't finish it then because after eighty hours of 100%ing the game I wanted even more, imagine how long I'd still be playing now if they finished it.

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug
I hope links awakening doesnt have those stupid horse heads you have to keep throwing until they land upright, what a waste of time. Those guys with the cycling card suits that you had to match were no picnic either

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Also those Dodongo you had to fight from a platform above so you had to throw your bomb and just hope they didn't suddenly turn. Also you had to wait for them to even get in range. If you are low on bombs gently caress you

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Mega64 posted:

I'm glad they didn't finish it then because after eighty hours of 100%ing the game I wanted even more, imagine how long I'd still be playing now if they finished it.

You might have played a good game, yeah.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

hadji murad posted:

NSMBUD is great with the bubble to get through hard spots, and she can play as Toadette/Peachette as a girl character or Nabbit for invincibility. Mario Kart 8 has the auto drive mode that lets them steer and fire weapons. Snipper Clips is a good co-op game that we are just starting to get into. Mario Party is a huge hit. They have the mini games only mode, a board game mode where you can play as a team, and River Survival. We also play Smash, but we play as a team and I put the handicap at 300% percent for the other players and make it hard to hit other players off. It gives her one hit kills and she has a lot of fun playing as the girl characters. We’ve had a ton of fun with the Nintendo Labo Variety Kit too, and I make her do all the directions which really stretches out those projects. I am surprise it help her attention for 2 hours to make the fishing game. The motorbike toys also work in Mario Kart now too. The Pokemon Lets Go games have a really good coop mode where the second player is the opposite gender and they can roam the world, throw poke balls, and battle along side you with an additional turn. She can just pop in and join at and time, then drop out. We’ve also played Arms briefly by facing off against each other with the Joycon motion controls. 1-2 Switch is surprisingly good, with the QuickDraw and Fake Draw games being two of our favorites. But it is simple and works surprisingly well for a 4 year old.

I’ve yet to try Hyrule Warriors, but I think that could work since it’s just a button masher. I’ve also have not tried Kirby Star Allies. On 3DS we do Mario Party Top 100 since it’s single cart. We borrowed a 3rd 3DS from the library and played Triforce Heroes. She loved it, but took some effort to get my wife to play with us since it requires 3 people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Argue posted:

The revived game is gonna be the third Oracles game

I wish.

That'd be really cool even though I can't imagine it'd ever happen. I'd love to see all 3 Oracle titles exist in higher resolution with modern graphics and also it'd be a potential stepping stone for getting Onox and Veran into another Hyrule Warriors title if Hyrule Warriors 2 is ever a thing that happens.