Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
we're all sorry you're on your phone

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

infernal machines posted:

we're all sorry you're on your phone

thank u

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

I'm curious. are there ANY xbox one games that use "cloud rendering" and make the console "10X more powerful" like they promised. this was seriously the selling point of the console 5 years ago. if memory serves, they said it would be the last console folks ever buy? yet they made the xbox one x.

1 xbox one + cloud = 32 xbox ones? or are those 360's?

or is it 1 xbox one = 6 xbox somethings?

meanwhile the best selling console is a gosh dang ARM device that outputs 720p or lower.

I've said it before, but when a Microsoft product is eating poo poo, you'll never know it. they are extremely good at acting like everything is OK. when the Zune was going nowhere, they still had huge sections of HMV stores dedicated to it. they kept up the act for years. folks think the Xbox is a solid brand, but really it's 8-15% of console sales max.

of course it puts up a fight in America, but China has effectively overtaken the US retail market. every US-based international is focused on growing into China, India and elsewhere. having popularity in America kept companies like Sega alive, but not past 2001. they're irrelevant in so many markets. catching up to Sony, Nintendo and the emerging Chinese brands is insurmountable.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

the closest thing to a successful implementation of cloud gaming so far is playstation now but they’ve started including executable downloads and they’ve never said how many subscribers they actually have

the xbox azure thing was never more than a fever dream

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

the Xbox azure thing was Microsoft trying to make “we’re giving free dedicated server hosting to Xbox developers” sound interesting

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.
when they said it was the last console folks ever buy, that's not how they meant it

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib

pseudorandom name posted:

the Xbox azure thing was Microsoft trying to make “we’re giving free dedicated server hosting to Xbox developers” sound interesting

Except they didn't give developers free dedicated server hosting, they were still charging.

It was 100% PR fluff designed to paper over the fact PS4 Amateur is much more powerful.

30 TO 50 FERAL HOG
Mar 2, 2005

"we cant put money into the gaming side of this game console! we gotta spend half the BoM on hdmi input and overlay! the future of media is the cable box!"

-something an executive actually said in like 2012 lmao

oh and also it has 32mb of ram

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Lambert posted:

Except they didn't give developers free dedicated server hosting, they were still charging.

It was 100% PR fluff designed to paper over the fact PS4 Amateur is much more powerful.

just imagine that meeting between the xbox and azure teams

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

PleasureKevin posted:

I've said it before, but when a Microsoft product is eating poo poo, you'll never know it. they are extremely good at acting like everything is OK. when the Zune was going nowhere, they still had huge sections of HMV stores dedicated to it. they kept up the act for years. folks think the Xbox is a solid brand, but really it's 8-15% of console sales max.

the only video game systems that xbox consoles have outsold at the time are the dreamcast, gamecube and wii u, even their smash hit the 360 was beaten by the ps3 which was sony loving up and absolutely destroyed by the wii, the whole project at this point is just an effort to somehow keep people renewing live memberships while the market shifts to mobile

they bought tons of studios last year but they have an almost ea-level track record for meddling with their acquisitions before all the important employees ragequit

ProjektorBoy
Jun 18, 2002

I FUCK LINEN IN MY SPARE TIME!
Grimey Drawer
rip rareware and the stamper brothers

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

nm

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003
good job ms

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
that is some solid gold right there

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

my son's name is also Maruary

Booourns
Jan 20, 2004
Please send a report when you see me complain about other posters and threads outside of QCS

~thanks!

Stupid Maruary weather

My Linux Rig
Mar 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!

Fiedler posted:

wdg should really unfuck edge before suggesting that people use it

they are gonna unfuck it by using chromium instead

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

Scalebound is now a Nintendo Switch exclusive lmfao

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
more platinum games on nintendo gaming devices is always a good thing

Fiedler
Jun 29, 2002

I, for one, welcome our new mouse overlords.

that's excel making fun of you for not knowing how to spell february.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Stymie posted:

more platinum games on nintendo gaming devices is always a good thing

stymie is right

Fiedler
Jun 29, 2002

My Linux Rig posted:

they are gonna unfuck it by using chromium instead

trident is mostly fine. it's the uwp wrapper that's hosed up. swapping out the rendering engine won't do anything to fix the organizational problems that lead to the buggy pile of unused poo poo known as uwp.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Fiedler posted:

trident is mostly fine.

actually, trident is dead.

My Linux Rig
Mar 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!
edit: well I had a post here. I guess sometimes awful.app confuses quote with edit your last post

My Linux Rig fucked around with this message at 22:38 on Feb 19, 2019

Fiedler
Jun 29, 2002

rebranded doesn't mean dead.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

surprise again for the ?th time: nerd numbers and ram types mean jackshit when it comes to quality of software and games

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
nintendo's strategy has always been to release high quality games on hardware that is a step back or two from the bleeding edge

this ensures that the hardware will both be dependable and lower cost to ensure good margins and keep the company profitable, and it's been a wildly successful formula that apple originally emulated until steve's death

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Fiedler posted:

rebranded doesn't mean dead.

correct. but both trident and the rebranded EdgeHTML are dead.

Fiedler
Jun 29, 2002

there will be engineers fixing bugs in both forks for years to come, until they're out of the support window.

so they're only mostly dead.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Stymie posted:

nintendo's strategy has always been to release high quality games on hardware that is a step back or two from the bleeding edge

this ensures that the hardware will both be dependable and lower cost to ensure good margins and keep the company profitable, and it's been a wildly successful formula that apple originally emulated until steve's death

that raises a good point. outside of maybe virtual boy, i guess, have they ever had a large scale hardware reliability issue?

SRQ
Nov 9, 2009

Stymie posted:

The Gamecube was absolute cutting edge at release though, I think Nintendo only started that after it failed.

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib

Last Chance posted:

surprise again for the ?th time: nerd numbers and ram types mean jackshit when it comes to quality of software and games

On the other hand, the Switch is already stalling out and falling behind expectations.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

lol uh huh

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib

Nintendo just corrected their sales target significantly, which is why their stock fell so drastically.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Lambert posted:

Nintendo just corrected their sales target significantly, which is why their stock fell so drastically. Of course, that's not what a fanboy would like to hear.

i appreciate the ninja edit of not calling me a fanboy, thank you

Lysidas
Jul 26, 2002

John Diefenbaker is a madman who thinks he's John Diefenbaker.
Pillbug
i had been meaning to get a switch to play breath of the wild, guess i should do that soon to help Friend Corporation Nintendo

My Linux Rig
Mar 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!

Lambert posted:

On the other hand, the Switch is already stalling out and falling behind expectations.

not to defend Nintendo since I’m sure they’re as bad as any other company but I haven’t seen as many people with the latest Nintendo console since the n64

if it’s falling behind expectations then Nintendo’s shareholders must have had some crazy rear end expectations

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib

Last Chance posted:

i appreciate the ninja edit of not calling me a fanboy, thank you

How about you react to the actual meat of the posting instead of taking the coward's way out.

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

My Linux Rig posted:

not to defend Nintendo since I’m sure they’re as bad as any other company but I haven’t seen as many people with the latest Nintendo console since the n64

if it’s falling behind expectations then Nintendo’s shareholders must have had some crazy rear end expectations

well wii sales were astronomical, but that’s because it went viral and had a pack-in game that had grandparents waiting in lines to get one for their grandkids and then going back later to buy one for themselves

that’s not likely to happen again, just like no handheld will outsell the original ds because smartphones cannibalized the casual market

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Lambert posted:

How about you react to the actual meat of the posting instead of taking the coward's way out.

show us on the doll where nintendo touched you