Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Grouchio posted:

Crossposting from Game Chat:
This might be the most heinous transphobic thing ever in a game? Holy poo poo???

Like (obviously huge new Catherine spoilers) traveling through time to stop a trans person from ever transitioning and portraying it as a good thing is appalling, I know japan has a terrible track record with treating lgbtq situations well in real life let alone fiction but that's a real bad one, and that character is not handled well already to begin with

Captain Invictus fucked around with this message at 06:22 on Feb 16, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bikindok
May 3, 2012
Apparently it's specifically the director, Katsura Hashino, who's got the bee in his bonnet about this. Been describing this as 'the true version of Catherine's story'. What a piece of poo poo.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Captain Invictus posted:

This might be the most heinous transphobic thing ever in a game? Holy poo poo???

Like (obviously huge new Catherine spoilers) traveling through time to stop a trans person from ever transitioning and portraying it as a good thing is appalling, I know japan has a terrible track record with treating lgbtq situations well in real life let alone fiction but that's a real bad one, and that character is not handled well already to begin with
To quote another guy:

Ometeotl posted:

Reports are that it's the specific director Hoshino and his views, don't throw an entire country under the bus when they complained about Erica's treatment in the original

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
They continue to employ him, correct

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
Haha, Kamiya is trending on Brazilian Twitter because a Youtuber got blocked under his "Japanese-only replies" rules and people interpreted it as xenophobic. I hope he scheduled a full day to block people on Twitter...

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

The end of Woolie's Tetris 99 video was incredible

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

Yea, Tetris 99 is a 100% must-watch even if you have to break it up in chunks for that ending.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

beep by grandpa posted:

Yea, Tetris 99 is a 100% must-watch even if you have to break it up in chunks for that ending.

Billy sounds so happy in that video

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled
https://www.twitch.tv/woolieversus/clip/BrainyFrozenTigerDancingBanana

edit: https://clips.twitch.tv/ClumsyGentleCattleCorgiDerp

man woolie's RE2 playthrough has some great moments edit: also they soft confirmed dmc5 being a LP sorta thing

MagusDraco fucked around with this message at 03:04 on Feb 17, 2019

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

listening to CSB and has pat become more deranged lately?

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Woolie realizing that Mr. X can enter the safe area was worth the break up

edit: lol Woolie reset his save literally 10 feet away before an item box.

Tae fucked around with this message at 21:06 on Feb 17, 2019

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

Yardbomb posted:

That's pretty much Warframe's most dire flaw, it's a super good game, but everything is incredibly confusing to a new person. You'll bumble into the armory and store and see everything costing plat (When virtually everything in the game can be crafted easily), you'll see menus to incubate poo poo (Which comes in later for combat pets) or turn mods into endo or reveal rivens (Which are later game stuff) and just be clueless. As good as it is, it almost requires coming into it with a friend who can tell you how to actually start the game proper and understand what things do.

I was loving it until I started playing with other players and had. To stop. At every chest. And every pickup. No matter how useless. And just getting through a few rooms took way more time than was necessary. Mind you I was brand new to the game and even I could keep up a steady pace. Not speedrunning, but not that frustrating rhythm. Reminded me of playing Borderlands with people who had to stop and inspect every drop no matter how garbage it was.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
Wait, who the gently caress stops at pickups and chests in Warframe. You just run a Sweeper and fly thru poo poo.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Tae posted:

edit: lol Woolie reset his save literally 10 feet away before an item box.

what's great is how loving smug he was about it, too.

"yeah, you forgot something didn't you Pat?"

hoobajoo
Jun 2, 2004

Stairmaster posted:

listening to CSB and has pat become more deranged lately?

He's probably having a flare up, but honestly, O think he's actually getting better. I haven't heard anything on the level of cleaning his entire house for three hours because he thought he saw a bug.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Dias posted:

Wait, who the gently caress stops at pickups and chests in Warframe. You just run a Sweeper and fly thru poo poo.

Me, back when I was playing it, because I had no idea what I was doing. Also getting one of those options took forever.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.
I am finally catching up on liam's kh3 playthrough and it is one of the strongest " Man, I dont get it" I have ever felt

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe

Mel Mudkiper posted:

I am finally catching up on liam's kh3 playthrough and it is one of the strongest " Man, I dont get it" I have ever felt

Is Liam into it?

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

Pigbuster posted:

Is Liam into it?

He talks about how he and his girlfriend both cried during the opening and I am like "ummm"

I mean, I played 1 and 2 so its not like I have never experienced the series but there is a level of admiration here that is wholly alien to me

TechnoSyndrome
Apr 10, 2009

STARE

Mel Mudkiper posted:

He talks about how he and his girlfriend both cried during the opening and I am like "ummm"

I mean, I played 1 and 2 so its not like I have never experienced the series but there is a level of admiration here that is wholly alien to me

Liam jumping on the KH bandwagon feels so... Unearned to me? It's weird because I don't give a poo poo about Kingom Hearts that much so I have no reason to gatekeep, I just don't get why he's so into it.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

TechnoSyndrome posted:

Liam jumping on the KH bandwagon feels so... Unearned to me? It's weird because I don't give a poo poo about Kingom Hearts that much so I have no reason to gatekeep, I just don't get why he's so into it.

I mean, he was like 12 when it came out and is a huge weeb so I get that he is the prime audience but man its going over my head

TechnoSyndrome
Apr 10, 2009

STARE

Mel Mudkiper posted:

I mean, he was like 12 when it came out and is a huge weeb so I get that he is the prime audience but man its going over my head

Yeah but he *didn't* get into it when he was 12. He marathoned it as a grown adult like last year.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
You are the worst, nerdiest gate keeper yes and objectively it looks stupid.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord
It doesn't matter because kingdom hearts is garbage

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Improbable Lobster posted:

It doesn't matter because kingdom hearts is garbage

I replayed it when when the 2.5? collection came out and I remember finding the Disney parts charming and the square parts tiresome and it seems like in this new one the square part has won

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!

Mel Mudkiper posted:

I replayed it when when the 2.5? collection came out and I remember finding the Disney parts charming and the square parts tiresome and it seems like in this new one the square part has won

The Square part won so hard that the actual Square characters aren't even in it anymore.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Captain Invictus posted:

Not to dig this up much but I heard that it's just back in time and Erica still goes through with it and it's never implied otherwise so you're just seeing them before.
Is this not the case?

Also did something change in general with Erica? At release I remember seeing a ton of posts saying she was a well written and great character and (Spoilers for vanilla I guess) even when the person that has a crush on her finds out she's trans he still hooks up with her because he loves her.

ThisIsACoolGuy fucked around with this message at 11:55 on Feb 18, 2019

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

People like to make poo poo up to stir outrage

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
There's also the other Cathrine in the game (who was heavily implied to be pre-op trans) that they added but bugger knows what the score is with them given all the telephone game this sort of nonsense adds to everything.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

TechnoSyndrome posted:

Yeah but he *didn't* get into it when he was 12. He marathoned it as a grown adult like last year.

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Taes right you both suck rear end.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

I'm not sure what the issue is with going "wow, this guy is clearly having a different level of experience than I am"

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

ConanThe3rd posted:

There's also the other Cathrine in the game (who was heavily implied to be pre-op trans) that they added but bugger knows what the score is with them given all the telephone game this sort of nonsense adds to everything.

She has a penis, and Vincent slaps her hand away in disgust when he finds out. Turns out she's really a space alien.

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Not to dig this up much but I heard that it's just back in time and Erica still goes through with it and it's never implied otherwise so you're just seeing them before.
Is this not the case?

Also did something change in general with Erica? At release I remember seeing a ton of posts saying she was a well written and great character and (Spoilers for vanilla I guess) even when the person that has a crush on her finds out she's trans he still hooks up with her because he loves her.

Apparently that's not the case and the person who insists otherwise is a less-than-reliable source.

Pharohman777 posted:

https://mobile.twitter.com/SophNar0747/status/1097114182334459904
So apparently the Catherine being transphobic thing might have been faked by the same person who said that fire emblem fates had anti-gay stuff.

exquisite tea posted:

"Writer/editor. My work can be found on @redstate, @nichegamer, @dailycaller, @OneAngryGamerhd, & youtube."

So you know, grain of salt and all that.

Also in the original game the entire male cast keeps throwing passive aggressive barbs at Erica about not being a real woman, she gets sent to the nightmare world for men who are bad at getting women pregnant, and when the guy who didn't know her pre-transition hooks up with her and then finds out about her history he acts super distraught about losing his virginity to her.

The director of Catherine is pretty infamous for having Opinions About LGBT People so people aren't exactly eager to give his work the benefit of the doubt in the first place.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Welp, gently caress that guy then

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice

a cartoon duck posted:

Also in the original game the entire male cast keeps throwing passive aggressive barbs at Erica about not being a real woman, she gets sent to the nightmare world for men who are bad at getting women pregnant, and when the guy who didn't know her pre-transition hooks up with her and then finds out about her history he acts super distraught about losing his virginity to her.

The male cast was never held up as "right" about goddamn anything, she's sent to the nightmare world by the villains of the game who punish mankind for not living up to ethical codes that were wrong when they were created six thousand years ago, and again, the bar drinking crew are three men who are wrong about everything and generally unhappy people. Toby gets over his little snit fit pretty quickly, while Vincent and crew are being kinda lovely because they genuinely don't know which of their friends needs their, "help." (The answer is neither, but it also highlights that after Erica transitioned, something they didn't understand and didn't like, they still were friends with her)

Erica was the most interesting part of the first game, which is a part of why people were so distraught when rumors came out the remake did her dirty.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

I'm not trying to distract from the conversation but have the best friends brought this up at all yet? I don't see anything about it on their twitters.

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

Now for the hattrick explain why the credits felt the need to deadname Erica.

AShamefulDisplay
Jun 30, 2013

Mel Mudkiper posted:

I'm not trying to distract from the conversation but have the best friends brought this up at all yet? I don't see anything about it on their twitters.

Liam has definitely mentioned it

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice

a cartoon duck posted:

Now for the hattrick explain why the credits felt the need to deadname Erica.

A shitbag wrote the credits.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

I find it kind of interesting that for a creator who is pretty lovely about how LGBTQ people are represented, they are also present to an extent that is extremely rare in games.

Like, I cannot think of a major studio that has as many prominent nonbinary figures, even if they are handled tactlessly.