Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

:killing:, beginning with the “analyst” who wrote that paper. That’s just cartoonishly evil.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

All for curing this evil of their heads

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?
February 2019 current events: Talking about an article we talked about when it came out last year

BadOptics
Sep 11, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=owI7DOeO_yg

Sexual Lorax
Mar 17, 2004

HERE'S TO FUCKING

Fun Shoe

Soulex posted:

Players should be paid decently but not obscenely.

Players should be paid all that the market will bear and then be taxed at postwar rates on it.

People love watching sports, and TV deals/merchandising/ticket sales bring in a colossal amount of money. As the labor in this equation, the players deserve every cent they can wring out of it.

If you're a team owner and you can't keep up with what the other teams are paying their players (assuming some kind of revenue sharing deal that evens things out between larger and smaller market teams), that might be a hint that you're paying yourself too much.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
offer pro sports owners and leagues a deal. they either buy the stadiums and pay back taxes on every loving dime with interest, or we nationalize it.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

Proud Christian Mom posted:

offer pro sports owners and leagues a deal. they either buy the stadiums and pay back taxes on every loving dime with interest, or we nationalize it.

Alternately: Pay back the public funding AND nationalize

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

It is weird to me that there is more general sense that professional athletes and entertainers don't deserve their money than a sense that Jared Kushner does not deserve his money. We have popular resentment of the rich, but only for that small subset that earned their wealth through labor. Inheretors are fine.

I used to think that it was because inheritors aren't on TV much, but the past two years, inheritors have been dominating the news cycle and people still don't find them weird so I don't know.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

Best Friends posted:

It is weird to me that there is more general sense that professional athletes and entertainers don't deserve their money than a sense that Jared Kushner does not deserve his money. We have popular resentment of the rich, but only for that small subset that earned their wealth through labor. Inheretors are fine.

I used to think that it was because inheritors aren't on TV much, but the past two years, inheritors have been dominating the news cycle and people still don't find them weird so I don't know.

As often is the case in the US, the secret ingredient is class.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

Doc Hawkins posted:

As often is the case in the US, the secret ingredient is class.

Also race.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
It's also part of the narrative myth that inheritors earned the money and status that they inherited, rather than having blind luck to be born into it.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006

Best Friends posted:

I'll side with players over the owners every single time but I still say guillotine them all because ultimately they're all vastly overpaid while we directly subsidize the entire industry.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

That one's not secret.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

It's this, but also it's really easy (but not necessarily correct) to say that athletes aren't doing anything "useful" to earn that money. Same deal with actors, musicians, and other folks in the entertainment industry. Meanwhile, billionaires deserve their money for being ~*job creators*~.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Mr. Nice! posted:

AFC Playoff teams:
Chiefs
Pats
Texans
Ravens
Chargers
Colts

Of those, the Texans and Ravens would have benefitted from Kaep.

NFC Playoff teams:
Saints
Rams
Bears
Cowboys
Seahawks
Eagles

Of those, the bears, cowboys, and rams would have benefitted from having Kaep.

Top teams could absolutely benefit from having a good to great QB which Kaep absolutely was. Almost half of the playoff teams this year had a QB worse than Kaepernick.

You're making significant assumptions about a QB who peaked in 2012 and hasn't played since 2016 (I think?). I think you're also forgetting that he's likely to pursue an elite QB salary.

Sad King Billy
Jan 27, 2006

Thats three of ours innit...to one of yours. You know mate I really think we ought to even up the average!

Mr. Nice! posted:

AFC Playoff teams:
Chiefs
Pats
Texans
Ravens
Chargers
Colts

Of those, the Texans and Ravens would have benefitted from Kaep.

NFC Playoff teams:
Saints
Rams
Bears
Cowboys
Seahawks
Eagles

Of those, the bears, cowboys, and rams would have benefitted from having Kaep.

Top teams could absolutely benefit from having a good to great QB which Kaep absolutely was. Almost half of the playoff teams this year had a QB worse than Kaepernick.

Texans need a offensive line, Watson is very good.

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008
Kap also had accuracy problems and existed in an offense tailored to him with a very strong run game and elite o line

I'm not saying he isnt good he just isn't elite and wont elevate a franchise by himself

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
It's also interesting how some teams remain very sustainable, financially, even if they haven't done a season worth a poo poo in a couple decades. ~*~America's Football Team~*~ is good at this poo poo

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

mlmp08 posted:

It's also interesting how some teams remain very sustainable, financially, even if they haven't done a season worth a poo poo in a couple decades. ~*~America's Football Team~*~ is good at this poo poo

Well sure, they are a fan-owned non-profit.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Doc Hawkins posted:

Well sure, they are a fan-owned non-profit.

:hmmyes:

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost
Oh, poo poo, didn't realize they used that model. Packers are always talking about it and I feel like the Cowboys don't mention it as much? Or maybe I just don't give a poo poo about the Cowboys.

E: oh it was a joke. :downs:

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

Ehh this is kind of a dumb thing to be outraged about "is our current business model sustainable if we start producing cures for these diseases" is a completely uncontroversial question for someone trying to manage the company because the necessary follow-up is "if no how do we make it sustainable". It's only nefarious if the answer to the follow up is "don't cure people", which if you read the article none of the proposed solutions are.

The report can pretty much be summarized: "curing people will cut regular revenue streams so you should adjust your business model by investing more resources into R&D to cure more diseases so there's something new to make money off of once you finish curing everyone of something. Also put extra focus in diseases that have a lot of victims because you'll make more money before it's eradicated."

Professor Bling
Nov 12, 2008

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Jarmak posted:

Ehh this is kind of a dumb thing to be outraged about "is our current business model sustainable if we start producing cures for these diseases" is a completely uncontroversial question for someone trying to manage the company because the necessary follow-up is "if no how do we make it sustainable". It's only nefarious if the answer to the follow up is "don't cure people", which if you read the article none of the proposed solutions are.

The report can pretty much be summarized: "curing people will cut regular revenue streams so you should adjust your business model by investing more resources into R&D to cure more diseases so there's something new to make money off of once you finish curing everyone of something. Also put extra focus in diseases that have a lot of victims because you'll make more money before it's eradicated."

Or, stay with me here, private health companies shouldn't exist and healthcare should be nationalized, because the entire problem is the fact that "is curing people profitable" is a valid question in American healthcare regardless of the answer; profit should not factor into healthcare at all, period

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Professor Bling posted:

Or, stay with me here, private health companies shouldn't exist and healthcare should be nationalized, because the entire problem is the fact that "is curing people profitable" is a valid question in American healthcare regardless of the answer; profit should not factor into healthcare at all, period

Pretend I quoted this 100 times.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

Professor Bling posted:

ding ding ding

Also it's not like giant businesses that develop treatments and cures are headed up by a guy making 50K/year.

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

10,363 snaps and not a playoff win to show for it

mlmp08 posted:

The Brown's have won less than 30 games since Jimmy bought the team in 2010ish, and their value has gone from 1 Billion to 1.5 Billion in that time frame. The NFL is literally a license to print money, and the players absolutely deserve more than they are making.

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender

pantslesswithwolves posted:

:killing:, beginning with the “analyst” who wrote that paper. That’s just cartoonishly evil.

I would love to read the actual report, but this analyst you propose murdering isn't the first person to predict this issue with gene therapies economic stability, and the journalist probably contextualised the report into the kind of thing that creates emotion almost a year after its release instead of the probable truth: a boring economic study that informs why gene therapies are probably better choices for public than private investment.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006

Professor Bling posted:

yes, but BOTH SIDES

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost
Speaking of criminally underpaid people: Cheerleaders. They get paid far less than minimum wage in most cases. Sometimes something less than a dollar an hour after the cost of mandatory hairstyling, makeup, nails, etc at cheerleader expense.

I also like how when refs struck at first there was a lot of fan angst about how they got paid well, and then there were so many blown calls by the semi-pros they brought in as scabs, and oh boy, the tune changed quick about the worth of a pro-level ref.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Cacati in mano e pigliati a schiaffi!

mlmp08 posted:

Speaking of criminally underpaid people: Cheerleaders. They get paid far less than minimum wage in most cases. Sometimes something less than a dollar an hour after the cost of mandatory hairstyling, makeup, nails, etc at cheerleader expense.

I also like how when refs struck at first there was a lot of fan angst about how they got paid well, and then there were so many blown calls by the semi-pros they brought in as scabs, and oh boy, the tune changed quick about the worth of a pro-level ref.

Honestly, this is why I photograph them at college games. I mean, no one gets paid there but they are just often ignored during games. They practice a lot and get hurt just as often. There is a lot of dedication that goes into doing what you enjoy, and I try to shine some light on that. Apparently, they also just got hit with a "no unassisted flips without male supervision" thing from the head cheerleading organization this year. So everything they had been practicing is moot. The word came down to everyone but schools with no male counterparts on the cheer squad get the worst of it.

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

This is both timely and relevant to the conversation, gently caress the Ricketts

https://twitter.com/HatsToTheLeft/status/1097560278915575808

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

Professor Bling posted:

This isn't "healthcare" as that term is usually applied, it's drug research. It's literally a valid question is any healthcare system in the world because the nationalized part takes place downstream.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

I've heard tell that cheerleading has the highest injury rate of all high school sports, including football, including concussions.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Doc Hawkins posted:

I've heard tell that cheerleading has the highest injury rate of all high school sports, including football, including concussions.

Probably; its literally gymnastics without safety equipment.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Jarmak posted:

This isn't "healthcare" as that term is usually applied, it's drug research. It's literally a valid question is any healthcare system in the world because the nationalized part takes place downstream.

You're discounting government funding in medical research. Did we stop doing that?

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Doc Hawkins posted:

You're discounting government funding in medical research. Did we stop doing that?

Government funding in medical research does not bring it to production; its up to a company to do that. And the get to charge whatever they want despite not inventing it and just licensing it from a university.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
hot take: government should fund essential medicine research and provide those medicines to the citizenry

private market healthcare research can exist to fill in the gaps

government should also have a bounty on essential fields of research with substantial one time bonuses for legitimate breakthroughs in exchange for all research and rights

Vasudus fucked around with this message at 19:55 on Feb 18, 2019

Professor Bling
Nov 12, 2008

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Jarmak posted:

First off gov't funding is a huge part of research and actually it's bad that the profit motive factors into R&D as well

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

Jarmak posted:

An idiot: What if we cured all the diseases? That'd be cool, right?

A smart person: But think about how the billionaire who pulled that off would be out of a job.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
if i can't mark up the price of this drug(which the government funded the heavy lifting on) approximately 6000% how am I ever going to pay $10 million a day to run ads for it, or all the physicians I bribe

this isn't even considering the real victims, the shareholders

Proud Christian Mom fucked around with this message at 19:58 on Feb 18, 2019