Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

The dumbest thing about final fantasy 12, by far, is how it handles victory poses after most boss battles: each character has a unique dance they do for a few seconds depending on what weapon they’re carrying, but the camera cuts between them too quickly and moves around too erratically to get a proper look at them. Then, after the animations are complete, the camera finally zooms out and begins slowly panning around the characters for a full ten seconds, but there’s nothing to see: the characters remain completely still for the entirety of those ten seconds. They don’t even breathe. So what you’ve been given, in total, is a mess of camera angles for a few seconds followed by a long, uneventful bit of nothing.

Can’t believe they haven’t fixed this in the remake

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barudak
May 7, 2007

They didnt add a proper steal gambit and you think theyre gonna fix the victory screen?

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Jay Rust posted:

The dumbest thing about final fantasy 12, by far, is how it handles victory poses after most boss battles: each character has a unique dance they do for a few seconds depending on what weapon they’re carrying, but the camera cuts between them too quickly and moves around too erratically to get a proper look at them. Then, after the animations are complete, the camera finally zooms out and begins slowly panning around the characters for a full ten seconds, but there’s nothing to see: the characters remain completely still for the entirety of those ten seconds. They don’t even breathe. So what you’ve been given, in total, is a mess of camera angles for a few seconds followed by a long, uneventful bit of nothing.

Can’t believe they haven’t fixed this in the remake

You're supposed to listen to the FF victory theme

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I agree, they should've taken the time to show each cool victory pose individually, since we're sitting there for long enough for that to happen anyway. :hai: Some of them are pretty great and/or funny

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
This alt-right guy that's in my extended friend group has been totally obsessed with Anthem despite the overwhelming evidence that it's a poo poo game and I can't help but feel there are many similarities there to our current political climate.

Red Alert 2 Yuris Revenge
May 8, 2006

"My brain is amazing! It's full of wrinkles, and... Uh... Wait... What am I trying to say?"
I have friends who approach games with the attitude of 'Can you shoot a gun? If so, game good.'

Also a lot of them log on just to socialize while playing games with friends so a new shiny thing, even a lovely one, is appealing to them. I asked in our discord about Anthem since many of them tried the demo and got a lukewarm reply, but they all bought it anyway. The same will happen with the Division 2.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I don't know if this is a nice thing to say about Anthem or not, but my take is that it's a pretty serious gently caress-up, but it's also a reasonably "honest" gently caress-up. By that I mean that I get the strong impression that the team working on it really did try their best and believe in what they were doing but hosed up anyway. I don't know if that makes it better or worse.

Like I don't feel like Anthem is a game where the team just kinda phoned it in to meet some sort of obligation. They seem to really care and want to do well. It's just going very poorly for them.

PantsBandit posted:

This alt-right guy that's in my extended friend group has been totally obsessed with Anthem despite the overwhelming evidence that it's a poo poo game and I can't help but feel there are many similarities there to our current political climate.

I want to say that's unfair to Anthem because Bioware at least seem to be operating in good faith but at the same time I'm more just surprised that there's an alt-right shitlord who is obsessed with a Bioware game for reasons other than whining about how they put brown people and gays in their games sometimes.

Relax Or DIE posted:

Also a lot of them log on just to socialize while playing games with friends so a new shiny thing, even a lovely one, is appealing to them. I asked in our discord about Anthem since many of them tried the demo and got a lukewarm reply, but they all bought it anyway. The same will happen with the Division 2.

I thought people came away from The Division 2's beta with a reasonably positive impression, though, or at least more so than Anthem. Granted it's just "what if The Division, but we did it again?" but The Division turned into a pretty good game eventually so that's not really a terrible thing.

If nothing else, The Division 2 is bound to be a significantly more feature-rich game, given that Ubisoft was smart enough not to throw out a whole bunch of systems and mechanics from Division 1 (like Bungie did with Destiny 2) while also building on top of them. So while it's still a looter with mediocre shooting, there's a good amount of variety there, where Anthem just doesn't have that.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

The Division 2 beta left me with a pretty positive experience and I'll probably play it again during the open weekend. I like the kind of game Anthem is a whole lot more but the demo was incredibly dull and hardlocked my system about 3 times in the first 30 minutes.

bentacos
Oct 9, 2012
Jesus, I thought the Frozen world in Kingdom Hearts 3 was dragging on.

Then they started singing.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

a disney game with singing in it? how entirely unexpected

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Honestly most games are made better by musical numbers

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

exquisite tea posted:

The Division 2 beta left me with a pretty positive experience and I'll probably play it again during the open weekend. I like the kind of game Anthem is a whole lot more but the demo was incredibly dull and hardlocked my system about 3 times in the first 30 minutes.

I thought at first that the demo was a bad impression of the game but it turns out I was pretty wrong and it was actually a reasonably representative slice of gameplay. I even posted about that last Friday, when I'd just started out, flying high on a pretty cool opening and the vastly improved controls. But now that I've played a decent amount over the weekend, no, I was pretty wrong about that. The demo was basically how the game is. And even though they really, really improved the PC controls and the game's overall performance, and also added more interesting loot, it's still pretty unstable and I've had CTDs a lot more often than it seems like I should.

Basically if you were bored by the demo, you'll be bored by the full game, at least in its current state. For me, I'm enjoying the baseline "fly around, shoot dudes, blow things up with flashy abilities, collect loot" loop enough to play for another couple weeks or so, but the game is trying its best to get in the way of the fun part as often as possible.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Finny Fun

e: rhapsody

Red Alert 2 Yuris Revenge
May 8, 2006

"My brain is amazing! It's full of wrinkles, and... Uh... Wait... What am I trying to say?"
Sorry, I wasn't trying to comment on the quality of the division 2(I haven't tried it) but just the observation that they'll just move on as soon as it's the new thing in shooters, and how disposable these games are to an audience like this even though they really want to be a service.

Chev
Jul 19, 2010
Switchblade Switcharoo

Cowcaster posted:

a disney game with singing in it? how entirely unexpected

To be fair it's only happened in one prior game in the whole KH saga, and that was the Atlantica segment in KH2 which most people probably want to erase from their memory.

Which is a pity really because sung boss fights against the forces of evil and black coats could have been very fun.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FKmZSc0jJXg

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Relax Or DIE posted:

Sorry, I wasn't trying to comment on the quality of the division 2(I haven't tried it) but just the observation that they'll just move on as soon as it's the new thing in shooters, and how disposable these games are to an audience like this even though they really want to be a service.

From what I can tell, people tend to rotate between them when they have lulls in content/quality. Even though a lot of people aren't going to make Division 2 their main hobby, many of them check back in for a month or so at a time a couple times a year, and that's how these live service games keep on rolling.

I sort of hope EA realizes that that's the market Anthem is in and so lets it live long enough for the inevitable "we fixed stuff" relaunch campaign in a year or so.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

i think everyone knew that after the andromeda debacle bioware really needed anthem to be a breakout hit and albeit it's kind of too early to tell the writing on the wall seems to be that it isn't, and EA isn't a company known for NOT taking studios out back to give them a talk about the rabbits

now on the other hand, everyone expected apex legends to be a hot diarrhea squirt and that respawn would be the one receiving a mercy killing, and it turns out they managed to pull the next fortnite out of their rear end. the games industry is a fickle mistress.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Cowcaster posted:

i think everyone knew that after the andromeda debacle bioware really needed anthem to be a breakout hit and albeit it's kind of too early to tell the writing on the wall seems to be that it isn't, and EA isn't a company known for NOT taking studios out back to give them a talk about the rabbits

now on the other hand, everyone expected apex legends to be a hot diarrhea squirt and that respawn would be the one receiving a mercy killing, and it turns out they managed to pull the next fortnite out of their rear end. the games industry is a fickle mistress.

Anthem's kind of an odd situation for EA, I guess, which is why I'm not quite ready to assume BioWare's about to be sent to a farm upstate. It's not a single-player game, nor is it a live service game that's already planned to have another sequel in a couple years, or anything like that. It was always going to be a long-term investment for them.

I mean, this is EA we're talking about, so they might not really draw a distinction there, but if there was ever a time I could see them giving a game time to be fixed up before deciding whether or not to pull the plug, it'd be their big live service pseudo-MMO title.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
They might still pull the plug on either of those, even if they were successful, if they are not successful enough.

Video Games.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

I had a premonition of the 2020 EA shareholders call in which they praise the unprecedented success of Anthem before discussing how they will be shuttering Bioware to "enhance market-share synergy".

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

EA has already seemed to undercut Anthem bigly by 1) debuting it to the world through one shitshow of an open demo with constant performance and stability issues, 2) releasing its own popular F2P Battle Royale two weeks prior to ship, and 3) letting people basically spend $15 to buy the game, play it a week early, and then generate bad word-of-mouth ahead of its street date. Like if I was a billion-dollar game publisher planning to screw over my own development studio as much as possible, even two or three of these moves would have been sufficient.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

while i doubt anything will ever be able to truly make the multi-billion dollar profit fortnite lightning strike twice, apex legends is apparently doing it's goddamnest. EA shuttering respawn right now would be killing a golden goose.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Yeah there is absolutely no chance EA shuts down Respawn, or at least not any time soon. Apex Legends has the potential to outright print money for them if it gets the continued support it needs to keep growing.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Yeah, Apex Legends will keep Respawn alive but Titanfall is loving dead.

Thank God Blisk made it out. Pure, sweet Blisk.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

mystical ninja starring goemon is v good yeah

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

I know Apex Legends is doing well because it has fanart.

Where's the Anthem fanart

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

I know Apex Legends is doing well because it has fanart.

Where's the Anthem fanart

Does it even have characters?

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

Hahahaha don't look at /r/anthemrule34 oh man oh geez!

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
What weapon should I play as in God Eater 3? The Tira Switch Axe?

Edit: Sorry, what GOD ARC should I play as

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Scroll, then. There are other posts than these.

Barudak posted:

Yeah, Apex Legends will keep Respawn alive but Titanfall is loving dead.

Thank God Blisk made it out. Pure, sweet Blisk.

New one is later this year

https://www.twitter.com/VinceZampella/status/1092856944199495686

And the tf2 community is growing because of apex. Don't forget that both Titanfalls were casualties of the console war, so this ensures that folks look forward to their next project.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Just know there's no guarantee the new Titanfall game will be a shooter. We know there's a new Titanfall game coming but it could really be anything.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

Titan dating-game plz.

Notice me Legion-senpai.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
It almost certainly won't be unless they love cannibalizing their own audience. I'd put my money on a VR thing

bentacos
Oct 9, 2012
Titanfall: the T-shirt! Titanfall: the coloring book! Titanfall: the lunchbox! Titanfall: the breakfast cereal! Titanfall: the flamethrower!

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

would there be much cannibalization going on between a single player first person shooter campaign and a battle royale though?

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

I think I remember hearing that Respawn was already confirmed to be working on some VR "thing", but I don't know if it's confirmed to be in the Titanfall universe. It had better be though, because I imagine the first high-quality VR mech game will do gang-busters.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

bentacos posted:

Titanfall: the T-shirt! Titanfall: the coloring book! Titanfall: the lunchbox! Titanfall: the breakfast cereal! Titanfall: the flamethrower!

:capitalism:

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

Harrow posted:

Just know there's no guarantee the new Titanfall game will be a shooter. We know there's a new Titanfall game coming but it could really be anything.

I'd be 100% in for a Titanfall Tactics

Has Squeenix ever talked about an actual Front Mission after Left Alive or can we consider the franchise dead?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Scroll, then. There are other posts than these.

I'm more excited for the star wars game knowing I'll probably be able to run it based on Apex's performance.