Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Heir03
Oct 16, 2012

Pillbug
Yeah I have to admit I'm already kind of bored. There are a lot of small bugs that have piled up to the point that I find myself wasting a lot of time trying to get things like my defence drones to reboard my ship. Also frankly it's way too easy to make a lot of money. I wish there was more to do beyond build stuff. Felt like X3:AP had more random fights or missions that were enjoyable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sillybones
Aug 10, 2013

go away,
spooky skeleton,
go away
Do miners traders limit themselves around some home zone, or are their limits based on where they are currently when they finish a trade/mining? If the former, how do you set the home zone?

What exactly is there to do when you have things going? I could wipe out the xenon sectors or something, but then there is even less to do? Nothing is ever happening.

- More complaint: Why can I defeat everything in one ship with ease? It's just a lone M. And the difference between an M and S seems to be how fast you can win.

- ++ How is OOS still not parity with in sector? They should just use OOS to enforce what happens in sector. Even if it means the AI 'cheats'. Seeing some jank is fine if the game systems actually work.

Sillybones fucked around with this message at 09:20 on Feb 18, 2019

Pyromancer
Apr 29, 2011

This man must look upon the fire, smell of it, warm his hands by it, stare into its heart

Sillybones posted:

- More complaint: Why can I defeat everything in one ship with ease? It's just a lone M. And the difference between an M and S seems to be how fast you can win.
From what I saw AI seems to heavily prefer trying to dodge over shooting as soon as you take off some shield, so one on one they never really shoot you.

Heir03
Oct 16, 2012

Pillbug

Pyromancer posted:

From what I saw AI seems to heavily prefer trying to dodge over shooting as soon as you take off some shield, so one on one they never really shoot you.

In my experience it's once you've stripped their shields and they start taking hull damage. At least that's how Xenon ships have been working for me. They just start dancing around.

So having an ion cannon to take down their shields quickly kind of trivializes combat.

I was finally killed in my game. It required me going into a Xenon sector and getting ganked by a ton of ships.

Heir03
Oct 16, 2012

Pillbug

Sillybones posted:

Do miners traders limit themselves around some home zone, or are their limits based on where they are currently when they finish a trade/mining? If the former, how do you set the home zone?

What exactly is there to do when you have things going? I could wipe out the xenon sectors or something, but then there is even less to do? Nothing is ever happening.

- ++ How is OOS still not parity with in sector? They should just use OOS to enforce what happens in sector. Even if it means the AI 'cheats'. Seeing some jank is fine if the game systems actually work.

Miners/Traders make their "home" sector the one you start them in. When you set them up there are two sliders near the "accept" button that tell them how many sectors away they can go to mine/trade and how many sectors they can go to sell their wares.

staberind
Feb 20, 2008

but i dont wanna be a spaceship
Fun Shoe
The Beta 2.0 (3) is quite, quite loving insane.

Hatikva is being mantrained by metal prawns,
Its happening everywhere there is a xenon gate.
At first the Teladi had a R.R. Fleet, and were surprisingly adept with their pimp hand,
it was a matter of time, IZ is being overrun,

The house of pancakes is just watching them steadily advance toward the Highway Ring, Arg and Ant pressure from the north,
Godrealm from the east, from Pancake to Crepe.

-Flot is Dead- he managed to get a falcon sentinel to bail, the Minotaur Raider was waiting,
Out of respect, I ejected a Fine Meal while grabbing the falcon, I hope he's frowning at things in 3.1 star tradesman Valhalla.
This new gamestart has been refreshing, from capping a Minotaur almost by accident partway through my first go around the highway ring,
to discovering how to jank my build zone into gates and other factories.

staberind fucked around with this message at 17:34 on Feb 18, 2019

PoopinClumpin
Jul 4, 2006

Sillybones posted:

IDK if someone already answered but the dev note for 1.7-1.8 included options restricting your ships (assume also drones) by blacklisting sectors.

edit finally saved up spacebux and got an Antigone Pulsar
6 forward guns and 2 shield mounts,I think it's the highest-DPS fighter so far?

PoopinClumpin fucked around with this message at 06:59 on Feb 19, 2019

Heir03
Oct 16, 2012

Pillbug
She's a 'beaut Clark.

Slickdrac
Oct 5, 2007

Not allowed to have nice things
Any word on if they’ve adjusted the Autopilot pathing? It’s dumb that S/M want to take the highway to go from 18 Billion to southeast Grand Exchange, but L/XL doing that path is ridiculous

Heir03
Oct 16, 2012

Pillbug
No idea about pathing, but I've never had great luck with autopilot on S/M ships either. It will never use travel mode.

Shalebridge Cradle
Apr 23, 2008

2.0 is out of beta and launched

https://steamcommunity.com/app/392160/

quote:

Player owned shipyards, wharfs and equipment docks:
Players can now build and operate their own shipyards. This allows leaving an even deeper impact on the game’s economy. Build ships for yourself or deliver them to the war factions. Participate in the faction wars on the highest possible level or just make a lot of profitsss.

Steam Workshop integration:
Starting with version 2.00 X4: Foundations now also supports installing game mods via the Steam workshop. This will make it easier than ever for players to try out some of the already existing cool X4 mods!

Rebalancing of fight and economy:
With Update 2.00 we changed a lot of parameters of the game economy and fight balancing. The goals include making crew gaining experience a bit easier, but also making a lot of changes to the turret and capital ship fight balancing.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

And the xenon have immediately tried to invade hatikvah's choice to put a station right next to the northeast gate cluster. Definitely seems to have boosted the AI aggressiveness. I skipped v1.6 but the turrets are also radically more effective at tracking targets even if the damage is still quite low.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 21:34 on Feb 25, 2019

Cluncho McChunk
Aug 16, 2010

An informational void capable only of creating noise

With workshop integration do workshop mods break ventures now?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I would strongly assume so yes, it still modifies your game, workshop's just another distribution method.

Cluncho McChunk
Aug 16, 2010

I really shouldn't care since so many of the ship skins are lovely but I was hoping I wouldn't be locked out of a feature of the game for it. It's not like they couldn't do some sanity check or whatever on the ship you send to determine if it's eligible to go on a venture.

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

If are using a modded game just use the mod that lets you buy skins from shipyards.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

So since 2.0 the universe seems to have devolved into some horrible orgy of death and murder as everyone is fighting and killing each other constantly in the border sectors.

On the plus side my hull parts factory is booming!

I definitely think if they added more frontier space to the map this could really be an awesome title, big thing I think is gonna be seeing what they add with the split expansion.

Shalebridge Cradle
Apr 23, 2008

OwlFancier posted:

So since 2.0 the universe seems to have devolved into some horrible orgy of death and murder as everyone is fighting and killing each other constantly in the border sectors.

I gotta get back into this game then

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I'm not sure if it'll sustain or if it's just because all the fleets that were built up in my pre 2.0 save have decided to kill each other but yeah, all the factions are trying to set up a load of defence posts in enemy territory. It's definitely a lot more active than it used to be. The economy definitely has a drain now and it's capital ships getting themselves killed in warfare. I don't know if they'll achieve any actual movement of borders but they're sure as heck trying.

Darkhold
Feb 19, 2011

No Heart❤️
No Soul👻
No Service🙅
Did a fresh start for 2.0.

I've gotten a station going but now I can't build anything more in the universe because every single dock/shipyard is out of ship resources. I'm not kidding I've checked every single one. I now put about 6 ships at different places on backorder at the same time and just cancel the others when one starts about an hour later. Guess I'm going to have to get alot of manual trades going to get things moving. Everything seems to be snatched up really quickly though.

In good news my factory is selling like mad. Can't wait to get a few more out and start plugging these economic holes everywhere.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Yeah I was wondering if that would be a problem, the shipyards are all desperate for resources in my game and it's had a lot of extra time to build more stations. I think if you set up shop in a specific part of the map you could probably really affect the war effort if you devoted your big factories to churning out ship components for one faction like the HOP.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 10:44 on Feb 28, 2019

Cluncho McChunk
Aug 16, 2010

I know I've been struggling to get ships built in my new game I started yesterday. Just about got a single miner from the Teladi and a Nova from the Argon before they ran out.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

Now we know why they had the AI less aggressive.

I bet some neutral sectors where they don't over commit along the border would help. That's going to be a mod or expansion to fix. I'm sure it's possible to balance it to be interesting and not stall but also allow the player to build things. That's jut a razor edge of balance on the current map and there are much better uses of the devs time.

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

Maybe if there wasnt a huge superhighway directly connecting belligerents.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

After playing with it for a while the universe seems to have murdered itself into oblivion. The attacks have really run down a bit as everyone tore through what fleets they seemed to have built up and now the universe just doesn't have the production capacity to churn them out at that pace.

I think this is generally a good thing because it really does mean that there's high economic demand across the board and it's not all just going into a black hole. This is actually quite an achievement I think, as advertised this is an X game with seemingly a fully simulated economy. The more parts you make the more ships there are and the more conflict there is.

The AI does, however, still need a bit more strategic thinking behind it, there seems to be mods on the forums trying to make it a bit more intelligent with staging and target picking, but 2.0 is definitely a good step forward and I think I like this X economy more than X3's.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

The xenon do not appreciate the teladi trying to conquer their matrix.

I also take back anything I said about the khaak being weak in X4...

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 06:26 on Mar 2, 2019

bandaid.friend
Apr 25, 2017

:obama:My first car was a stick:obama:
Do the AI ships have gun turrets yet or are they still all armed with missiles?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

They have hella gun turrets as visible in the first image. They always had guns but the 2.0 patch has massively improved their performance. The xenon pulse lasers are absolutely lethal.

PoopinClumpin
Jul 4, 2006

kay I think everyone realizes 2.0 makes xenon hardcore aggressive. I was starting to get bored then suddenly everyone is like whoaaaa come help coz every thing is hosed!~ i strolled into scale plate green and found nothing but station mashed parts everywhere and Xenon capships all over the place. Edit: kock helpin' em out too

PoopinClumpin fucked around with this message at 08:17 on Mar 3, 2019

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Something I like is that the sectors that are at war are experiencing different economics.

The HOP have massively increased their industrial base over the course of my game with their sectors being extremely station-dense. The HOP, PAR, and ANT are also all experiencing major shortages of smart chips because they're the ones doing all the fighting. Because ARG doesn't actually border the HOP, it's ANT that's paying the economic cost :v: ARG are just sitting in home of light with no ships on order because they're at full complement. ANT, PAR and HOP have all more or less obliterated their standing navies.

So I'm currently churning out smart chips as fast as I can to restart everyone's shipyards. More violence = more profitsss.

PoopinClumpin
Jul 4, 2006

OwlFancier posted:

Something I like is that the sectors that are at war are experiencing different economics.

The HOP have massively increased their industrial base over the course of my game with their sectors being extremely station-dense. The HOP, PAR, and ANT are also all experiencing major shortages of smart chips because they're the ones doing all the fighting. Because ARG doesn't actually border the HOP, it's ANT that's paying the economic cost :v: ARG are just sitting in home of light with no ships on order because they're at full complement. ANT, PAR and HOP have all more or less obliterated their standing navies.

So I'm currently churning out smart chips as fast as I can to restart everyone's shipyards. More violence = more profitsss.

Yeah this is something totally missing from priorX games so I'm really happy to see it finally happening. But on the other hand what the gently caress do I do to handle it? A great gameplay question to have that everyone should be excited about

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

So far I've built fourteen smart chip modules onto my hull part factory and they're still desperate for them. They're needed for I think homing missiles and weirdly they are a very minimally produced good, so everything else has filled up as the shipyards can't build anything until they get some.

Economy I think needs tweaking to account for the massive production increase but yeah, the universe and economy is far more simulated in this than it is in X3.

Really looking forward to seeing what they put into the split expansion because I really want to see how it handles more territory and more factions.

PoopinClumpin
Jul 4, 2006

My guess is HAHAHA MORE GUNS ON EVERY SHIP WE ARE THE FUCKIN' SPLIT edit:we can hope at least

seriously though I'd like to see what they do with the split x3 ships (mamba+) that also contained a single mass driver turret on every fighter. It was generally used for missile defense but there currently isn't a "ammo-dump" weapon in the game

PoopinClumpin fucked around with this message at 09:49 on Mar 3, 2019

PoopinClumpin
Jul 4, 2006

Post 2.0 are you guys basing out of the player station or rolling your own? edit: I guess you have to if you're doing a shipyard or wharf. Plz poast up some of your stations maybe i'll give you a beej (khaakstyle)

PoopinClumpin fucked around with this message at 09:56 on Mar 3, 2019

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Oh I never bothered with the PHQ cos it doesn't do anything and I don't like the sector.

I set up in nopileus. It seems to be basically designed as a playground sector. Built two big production stations, one churning out hull parts/smart chips the other piles of nostrop oil.

It also, conveniently, is connected right to the PAR/HOP border and I definitely don't have both of them buying ship parts off me so they can subsequently smash them together.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 10:44 on Mar 3, 2019

PoopinClumpin
Jul 4, 2006

Nopilous memorial is a good idea for a sector but already in my game it's a trash fire. I think I'm going to look at Morning Star3 to base out of. I have mapped out the anomilies I have found and this area seems to be a logical center. Maybe they won't matter if these dormant gates come online in 2.2 or 2.5 but Nopilieus is already trashed for me

edit: turns out the cock already poo poo all over my planned sector. Should I save scum it or just try something else? Nevermind, just gonna build out the crappy player station for now till the wars settle down a bit. Maybe the Boron squid can help in the future.

PoopinClumpin fucked around with this message at 19:09 on Mar 3, 2019

staberind
Feb 20, 2008

but i dont wanna be a spaceship
Fun Shoe
Nopilios is the babby's first sector, conveniently close to the border dispute of par/hop and the phq. lawless so you can go ape selling drugs to whoever, and ofc, nuking people on the other side of the gate and reselling the drugs.
I start a new game one of the first things I get is an admin so I can rename everything something stupid. apparently owning a place will allow you to have laws, but its probably going to be along the lines of "none of these drugs" as opposed to "you must have a minimum of these drugs at all times or kneel before Zod"

chop chop.
not mine, someone in the Ego discord put that up.

Also, since 2.0 dropped, people seem to be having difficulties capping behemoths from sca, for me, its just a little slower, but eventually they get the message and leave just the captain to deal with my 8-30 0 star marines clambering all over everything and shooting their feet off.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

So, Steam sale. Thread verdict on 2.0?

mp5
Jan 1, 2005

Stroke of luck!

Alchenar posted:

So, Steam sale. Thread verdict on 2.0?

Game's cool and has come a long way but still might not be there yet

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

mp5 posted:

Game's cool and has come a long way but still might not be there yet

Yeah this basically. I'm enjoying it, but it would still benefit from a lot of QoL changes and more content.