Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

I’d definitely read The Many Crimes of Lucien LaChance though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Not the Messiah
Jan 7, 2018
Buglord

Splicer posted:

The Lies of Locke Lamora

You gorgeous motherfucker thank you so much!

(I just looked on my kobo and it was there! this whole time! and I'd literally just went through my entire library looking for it and somehow missed it!)

Biplane posted:

I’d definitely read The Many Crimes of Lucien LaChance though.

There's definitely a juicy fanfic of that kicking around somewhere and if there isn't I'm going to write one

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine
My grandma had a couple of books from a series when I was a kid. It was from the 1950s and was very (...very very) similar to the Hardy Boys or Johnny Quest but I am 100% certain it was neither of those. All I remember is that there was nuclear powered airplane, a colorful U.S. Navy cook character, and the inside covers had neat blueprints on them.

:shrug:

Action Jacktion
Jun 3, 2003

Schadenboner posted:

My grandma had a couple of books from a series when I was a kid. It was from the 1950s and was very (...very very) similar to the Hardy Boys or Johnny Quest but I am 100% certain it was neither of those. All I remember is that there was nuclear powered airplane, a colorful U.S. Navy cook character, and the inside covers had neat blueprints on them.

:shrug:

Sounds like the Tom Swift Jr. series.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Action Jacktion posted:

Sounds like the Tom Swift Jr. series.

:doh:

Yup, pretty well-known series too.

:sad:

Lazyhound
Mar 1, 2004

A squid eating dough in a polyethylene bag is fast and bulbous—got me?
The complete series is $0.55 on the Kindle store.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Looks like those are the originals not the second series (or whatever: the 1950s atomic plane ones). Still might grab it, maybe the tiny hu-mon will like them when he gets older?

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Schadenboner posted:

Looks like those are the originals not the second series (or whatever: the 1950s atomic plane ones). Still might grab it, maybe the tiny hu-mon will like them when he gets older?

Warning: the original Tom Swift series features an extremely embarrassing comedy Negro sidekick who talks in minstrel-show dialect.

The Tom Swift Jr. series replaces him with a comedy Texan sidekick, which is much more tolerable.

I quite like the Tom Swift Jr. books myself; I had a complete set back when I was small but like an idiot I gave it to another kid.

If you like TS Jr., by the way, you might also like the Rick Brant books, which have a similar tone but are more about realistic science and engineering, rather than atomic-powered planes and flying submarines.

Selachian fucked around with this message at 18:36 on Feb 16, 2019

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

Selachian posted:

Warning: the original Tom Swift series features an extremely embarrassing comedy Negro sidekick who talks in minstrel-show dialect.

The Tom Swift Jr. series replaces him with a comedy Texan sidekick, which is much more tolerable.

I quite like the Tom Swift Jr. books myself; I had a complete set back when I was small but like an idiot I gave it to another kid.

If you like TS Jr., by the way, you might also like the Rick Brant books, which have a similar tone but are more about realistic science and engineering, rather than atomic-powered planes and flying submarines.

Rick Brant you say?

https://tomswiftfanfiction.thehudsons.com/TS-Yahoo/author-TH-RickBrant.html

navyjack
Jul 15, 2006

Oh man I read ALL of those. Gave no fucks for Rick but wanted to grow up to be Scotty the Marine.

While on the subject of Books for Boys, anybody remember the old Danny Dunn books? Those were a blast and a half. They got miniaturized, went into space, fought a giant electric catfish in Africa. Wild poo poo.

wizzardstaff
Apr 6, 2018

Zorch! Splat! Pow!
I'm looking for a children's story or folk tale that I had on tape when I was a kid.

The story was about some sort of legendary set of trials in a cave on the mountain. Knights and heroes would practice for these trials but they would usually only make it past the first one; no one made it past the second except for the protagonist who was a plucky princess or something. The first trial was a big pit of snakes with a pillar in the center that you had to jump across. (I always heard the narrator say "pillow" and it gave me a weird mental image.) The second trial was a giant lion whose hide was covered in eyes, and when all the eyes opened it turned you to stone. (I remember the narrator describing it as slowly opening "eye after eye after eye after eye".) The third trial I think was a magic mirror or something, but I am less sure about that. It might have just been a mirror that was used to defeat the lion.

I think it was a traditional folk tale and not a unique story so there might be multiple sources for this, but bonus points if you can identify the specific audio book edition I had.

metasynthetic
Dec 2, 2005

in one moment, Earth

in the next, Heaven

Megamarm
Just got pointed here by the SCP thread, here goes. I read this on the internet somewhere within the last 10 years, but pretty sure it was a published author and not just random creepypasta.

It's a short story set in the semi-near future, where either FTL (or maybe teleportation, I forget) has been found, except to do it requires that all the passengers load the ships blindfolded and they have to march onto the ships along confusing pathways in silence, because Reasons. They're tracing out magic runes and also the confusing paths prevent them from remembering exactly what they did, which would be Bad. They also can't have any writing once onboard the ships because Bad.

edit: found by someone else in the SCP thread:

Van Kraken posted:

Flight of the Runewright, from the Space Eldritch short story collection.

metasynthetic fucked around with this message at 21:58 on Feb 18, 2019

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
This would have been published in a pulp collection that was old-looking in 2004ish. It was a horror story about some kind of demon, possibly Satan himself, and the death of a bunch of college students. It involved a computer-controlled air conditioning system and a weird programmer nerd dude and maybe some kind of AI, and there were hoofprints that went through walls.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

navyjack posted:

Oh man I read ALL of those. Gave no fucks for Rick but wanted to grow up to be Scotty the Marine.

While on the subject of Books for Boys, anybody remember the old Danny Dunn books? Those were a blast and a half. They got miniaturized, went into space, fought a giant electric catfish in Africa. Wild poo poo.

That site has those too.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

navyjack posted:

I only had one Danny Dunn book growing up (Danny Dunn and the Heat Ray, which I remember nothing about), but I had a whole pile of Tom Swift Jr. books and probably read most of them three times over. And thanks to that site I now know about Tom Swift Lives!, which appear to be modernized (in terms of tech level, slang, etc) rewrites of the original books mimicking the original style, so I may need to check those out.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
Before I ask a favor of someone who lives in this town, I want to actually read the book he gave me 15 years ago. Unfortunately, I have forgotten what it was!

I think it was by a sort of cult 20th-century essayist, and that hitchhiking was a major theme. Outdoorsy. I think one story ended with the narrator saying “gently caress you, I just wanted a ride to <somewhere or other>?”

Name might start with a K?

xcheopis
Jul 23, 2003

Rand Brittain posted:

Before I ask a favor of someone who lives in this town, I want to actually read the book he gave me 15 years ago. Unfortunately, I have forgotten what it was!

I think it was by a sort of cult 20th-century essayist, and that hitchhiking was a major theme. Outdoorsy. I think one story ended with the narrator saying “gently caress you, I just wanted a ride to <somewhere or other>?”

Might it be on this list?
http://hitchwiki.org/en/Media#Books

Myron Baloney
Mar 19, 2002

Emitting dimensions are swallowing you

Rand Brittain posted:

On The Road, Jack Kerouac? I'd have thought almost anyone would get that one, or don't people read Kerouac anymore?

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

What was that one crazy guy who wrote a book and when his editor complained that he didn't know how to use punctuation marks he added a page of nothing but punctuation marks at the end with instructions for the reader to sprinkle them throughout the book as he or she saw fit?

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Gripweed posted:

What was that one crazy guy who wrote a book and when his editor complained that he didn't know how to use punctuation marks he added a page of nothing but punctuation marks at the end with instructions for the reader to sprinkle them throughout the book as he or she saw fit?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Timothy_Dexter

Wikipedia posted:

At age 50, Dexter authored A Pickle for the Knowing Ones or Plain Truth in a Homespun Dress, in which he complained about politicians, the clergy, and his wife. The book contained 8,847 words and 33,864 letters, but without punctuation and seemingly random capitalization. Dexter initially handed his book out for free, but it became popular and was reprinted eight times.[2] In the second edition, Dexter added an extra page which consisted of 13 lines of punctuation marks with the instructions that readers could distribute them as they pleased.[7]

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Thank you!

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."

Myron Baloney posted:

On The Road, Jack Kerouac? I'd have thought almost anyone would get that one, or don't people read Kerouac anymore?

No, I would have gotten that one, but that wasn't it. It was something much more obscure than that.

zedar
Dec 3, 2010

Your leader

DoctorWhat posted:

This would have been published in a pulp collection that was old-looking in 2004ish. It was a horror story about some kind of demon, possibly Satan himself, and the death of a bunch of college students. It involved a computer-controlled air conditioning system and a weird programmer nerd dude and maybe some kind of AI, and there were hoofprints that went through walls.

This is almost certainly The Devil's Footprints from 13 More Tales of Horror. You can find a summary of it at http://www.pointhorror.com/carlamlee/13-more-tales-of-horror-part-one/26/ .

dee eight
Dec 18, 2002

The Spirit
of Maynard

:catdrugs:
answered in another thread:

“Rumfuddle” by Jack Vance

Veni Vidi Ameche! posted:

It actually was Mr. Lupescu. I just had the details wrong after forty years.

Also, I almost never get to answer questions in here, so I want credit for Rumfuddle.

I pictured Mr Lupescu as Michael Caine when I read that story.

dee eight fucked around with this message at 09:26 on Feb 28, 2019

dee eight
Dec 18, 2002

The Spirit
of Maynard

:catdrugs:

I’ll post the question I was going to ask, and see how long it takes Goons to figure it out. Now that I’ve found it, I think Goons would have been able to answer the question, even with my limited details.

This is a story I read a long time ago, at least thirty years. It had kind of a dusty feel to it, like the characters were poor or lived in a poor place. I kind of remember it being maybe in the Soviet Union, or somewhere in that region, but that could be totally wrong. The story is about a kid and (I think) his mother. I don’t remember any plot, but I think the kid made friends with a man that lived in their apartment block or something. I think there was something wrong or scary about this guy, but I don’t remember what. The guy had a name that seemed very strange to me at the time, something like Mr. Lucchessi [now that I know his name, I don’t actually remember what I thought his name was], but not exactly that, and even more odd, because I don’t think I’d ever heard the name, before. Also - and this might be 100% wrong - the guy might have been imaginary.

^^ I think that’s approximately what I was going to ask.

Mr. Lieupshcu or something close to that. It was an elaborate set-up to murder with a child as an eye witness (who would finger his imaginary friend, Mr. Lieupshcu).

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

zedar posted:

This is almost certainly The Devil's Footprints from 13 More Tales of Horror. You can find a summary of it at http://www.pointhorror.com/carlamlee/13-more-tales-of-horror-part-one/26/ .

HOLY poo poo THANK YOU

I wonder if the full text is anywhere online. How did you find this?

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

dee eight posted:

Mr. Lieupshcu or something close to that. It was an elaborate set-up to murder with a child as an eye witness (who would finger his imaginary friend, Mr. Lieupshcu).

Mr Lupescu (by Anthony Boucher). I don't think that's what they're looking for since it's well-off Americans in a nice house (little lad goes out into the garden to play with his imaginary friend, his fairy godfather Mr Lupescu; one day Mr Lupescu comes into the house, shoots the kid's dad, and orders the kid to tell the absolute truth about what happened. Turns out to be the kid's uncle dressed up who reckons he can marry the kid's mother after. Except the monster he's been threatening the kid with shows up and eats him. "Mr Lupescu, I presume?")

zedar
Dec 3, 2010

Your leader

DoctorWhat posted:

HOLY poo poo THANK YOU

I wonder if the full text is anywhere online. How did you find this?

I remembered reading the story in one of the 13 books when I was a kid, and just happened to have read that website reviewing all the old trashy point horror books just recently so knew what to search for to find the exact name. Up until a couple of months ago I even still had the book, but it got dumped with a lot of childhood garbage during renovations.

Skyscraper
Oct 1, 2004

Hurry Up, We're Dreaming

This is maybe made up, but I saw a horror short story mentioned in an exchange on Twitter, and I was wondering if anyone knows what it is:
https://twitter.com/hmnprsn/status/1030881245083750400
and
https://twitter.com/hmnprsn/status/1030895682087923712
from a printed collection of short stories, probably pre-2014.

lifg
Dec 4, 2000
<this tag left blank>
Muldoon
Definitely not what you're thinking, but as long as we're taking about evil balloons stealing kids: https://youtu.be/7jksRQcI9NA

Skyscraper
Oct 1, 2004

Hurry Up, We're Dreaming

lifg posted:

Definitely not what you're thinking, but as long as we're taking about evil balloons stealing kids: https://youtu.be/7jksRQcI9NA

Don Hertzfeldt is a national treasure.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

there's a Pokemon that does that

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

a friend of the friendly atom

Soiled Meat

Gripweed posted:

there's a Pokemon that does that

the pokedex entries for this thing rule

quote:

Stories go that it grabs the hands of small children and drags them away to the afterlife. It dislikes heavy children.

quote:

If for some reason its body bursts, its soul spills out with a screaming sound.

quote:

Its round body is stuffed with souls and expands each time it leads someone away.

Veni Vidi Ameche!
Nov 2, 2017

by Fluffdaddy

dee eight posted:

Runcible Cat posted:

Mr Lupescu (by Anthony Boucher). I don't think that's what they're looking for since it's well-off Americans in a nice house (little lad goes out into the garden to play with his imaginary friend, his fairy godfather Mr Lupescu; one day Mr Lupescu comes into the house, shoots the kid's dad, and orders the kid to tell the absolute truth about what happened. Turns out to be the kid's uncle dressed up who reckons he can marry the kid's mother after. Except the monster he's been threatening the kid with shows up and eats him. "Mr Lupescu, I presume?")

Also, I almost never get to answer questions in here, so I want credit for Rumfuddle.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry

I’ll post the question I was going to ask, and see how long it takes Goons to figure it out. Now that I’ve found it, I think Goons would have been able to answer the question, even with my limited details.

This is a story I read a long time ago, at least thirty years. It had kind of a dusty feel to it, like the characters were poor or lived in a poor place. I kind of remember it being maybe in the Soviet Union, or somewhere in that region, but that could be totally wrong. The story is about a kid and (I think) his mother. I don’t remember any plot, but I think the kid made friends with a man that lived in their apartment block or something. I think there was something wrong or scary about this guy, but I don’t remember what. The guy had a name that seemed very strange to me at the time, something like Mr. Lucchessi [now that I know his name, I don’t actually remember what I thought his name was], but not exactly that, and even more odd, because I don’t think I’d ever heard the name, before. Also - and this might be 100% wrong - the guy might have been imaginary.

^^ I think that’s approximately what I was going to ask.

Mr. Lupescu

http://englishwithmissrobinson.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/09/Mr.-Lupescu-Short-Story.pdf

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

That shows me!

bad4brain
Dec 28, 2010
I'm looking for a sci-fi/fantasy novel about a math teacher/professor (not sure about that) that can travel to or dream about a math world where a lot of of math concepts and paradoxes come to life, like the Hilbert's Hotel. All the great philosophers and scientists of history live there. I think it's implied that this is where you go when you are dead. There was also something like a graveyard of things where you can find every item that has ever existed. There also might have been a love story. My guess is the novel is from the 70s or 80s. I would really love to read it again and hope someone here knows the title.

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

bad4brain posted:

I'm looking for a sci-fi/fantasy novel about a math teacher/professor (not sure about that) that can travel to or dream about a math world where a lot of of math concepts and paradoxes come to life, like the Hilbert's Hotel. All the great philosophers and scientists of history live there. I think it's implied that this is where you go when you are dead. There was also something like a graveyard of things where you can find every item that has ever existed. There also might have been a love story. My guess is the novel is from the 70s or 80s. I would really love to read it again and hope someone here knows the title.

White Light by Rudy Rucker.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.
There's a sci-fi novel that I want to reread, that I first read because I saw it recommended here on SA. I can't remember the name.

They make some kind of weapon that partially destroys the world, making pockets of "unmade" areas. The protagonist at the start drives around on a big truck that freezes the unmade areas making them static or normal or something.

There's a backstory where the protagonist learns karate, ultimately he ends getting some of the unmaking weapon stuff sprayed on him and he splits into two people. So as it turns out "he" isn't who "he" thinks "he is".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

a friend of the friendly atom

Soiled Meat
nick harkaway, the gone-away world