Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

to be fair, that was also a component of metal gear solid v, one of the greatest games ever created

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

corn in the bible posted:

Remember how a key feature of Inquisition was a waiting game with times of more than an hour to unlock stuff

I liked being able to make decisions about how to tackle those at the war table, even if it didn't make a huge difference gameplay wise. And it's not like there wasn't a game to play while that poo poo counted down.

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

Cowcaster posted:

to be fair, that was also a component of metal gear solid v, one of the greatest games ever created

:can:

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

Inquisition's writing felt extremely fan-fictiony. Also, Sera was just the worst. It was a mediocre game that managed to be successful because it came out in a year that was really bad for games.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

Cowcaster posted:

:hai:

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Cowcaster posted:

I'd rather play through remakes of the first three mgs games with mgs5 gameplay than go through mgs5 maps again

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

the first 3 games with mgs5 gameplay don't exist though

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Cowcaster posted:

the first 3 games with mgs5 gameplay don't exist though

a gaming crime

Red Alert 2 Yuris Revenge
May 8, 2006

"My brain is amazing! It's full of wrinkles, and... Uh... Wait... What am I trying to say?"
What about Dragon Age Inquisition with MGS5 gameplay

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
The only fatal flaw in DAI in my mind is it's too sprawling so you end up waiting too long between story beats unless you specifically ignore a bunch of obvious sidequests. It wouldn't be perfect if you fixed that but I'd happily describe it as a good game. I enjoyed playing it even in its actual state.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

pretty much the only thing i remember is the inventory/crafting system was an illegal crime for criminals but that's pretty standard with bioware rpgs

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Cowcaster posted:

Those didnt unlock main missions tho

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
hey friends, it's that time again. what are some games with good crafting systems?

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

weren't all the war table things that unlocked main missions instantaneous

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Looper posted:

hey friends, it's that time again. what are some games with good crafting systems?
the original release of star wars galaxies, two worlds, any atelier

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

Looper posted:

Idk about any currently but there is this survival crafting RPG that's on my radar called Outward that could be cool.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Looper posted:

i'd argue none of them but technically i have enjoyed some games that happen to have a crafting system so it'd be hard to back up

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

I think Atelier is supposed to have good crafting

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
meteos has you make new planets out of the blocks you clear, which i think is a clever way of handling unlocks in a block clearing puzzle game

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

is This Starry Midnight We Make a crafting game

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Looper posted:

It's like you aren't even listening to my obsessive atelier posting!!!

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

cheetah7071 posted:

It's like you aren't even listening to my obsessive atelier posting!!!

i feel like atelier is the free space in good crafting bingo

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
please don't think too hard about that analogy

Red Alert 2 Yuris Revenge
May 8, 2006

"My brain is amazing! It's full of wrinkles, and... Uh... Wait... What am I trying to say?"
It doesn't answer your question because it's not actually good crafting, but I enjoy the weird 3D blobs that Star Ocean 2 uses when you make something.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Looper posted:

please don't think too hard about that analogy

Too late I'm already thinking of a crafting system where items cause bingo boxes to fill based on their characteristics, and you get bonuses to the final item based on completing lines

CV 64 Fan
Oct 13, 2012

It's pretty dope.
Going through the PS3 version of Alone In The Dark. It's...very ambitious.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Disposable Scud posted:

Going through the PS3 version of Alone In The Dark. It's...very ambitious.

The PS3 version is the best one. It's a bad game but I love it especially because it leans heavily on the cheap horror DVD vibe.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Cowcaster posted:

It takes two things to make diamonds: time and pressure
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_jMYXIVOmgY

CV 64 Fan
Oct 13, 2012

It's pretty dope.

al-azad posted:

The PS3 version is the best one. It's a bad game but I love it especially because it leans heavily on the cheap horror DVD vibe.

It's worth playing just for the ideas they had. I wish horror games went more in this direction than hide and seek fests.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum
Holy poo poo, Nintendo's now got Scalebound as a switch game.

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011

Looper posted:

the best crafting system is one that you don’t have to spare any actual thought or effort on

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

what's scalebound and follow up question did that link get eaten

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

So platinum would be working on this, Bayo 3 and Astral Chain? How big is platinum now?

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Cowcaster posted:

that kamiya game that microsoft commissioned and then immediately cancelled

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

The CEO of Platinum said that Microsoft killing the Scalebound deal almost destroyed their company and it was only the success of Nier that kept them going

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

Dinosaur Gum

Cowcaster posted:

site's being bombarded because Scalebound was platnium's answer to Devil May Cry but you're friends and partners with a freaking dragon.

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012

Cowcaster posted:

i'd argue none of them but technically i have enjoyed some games that happen to have a crafting system so it'd be hard to back up
Yeah, ones that could be suitably ignored or were otherwise unobtrusive. I'm not sure of how many games had a crafting system that added to the game, but its a number close to zero

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

RE3/RE2make has good ones

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

When i was told that it would be a dead series that had a cancelled game I was like, we're gonna get legends 3 or a new advance wars.

not this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

Dinosaur Gum

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

So platinum would be working on this, Bayo 3 and Astral Chain? How big is platinum now?

I think Platinum is now basically part of Nintendo. They may be second party developers in everything but name with how good their relationship is with the big N.