Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Pat and Woolie mentioned about Catherine at the end of the stream.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

a cartoon duck posted:

Apparently that's not the case and the person who insists otherwise is a less-than-reliable source.

So you know, grain of salt and all that.

Also in the original game the entire male cast keeps throwing passive aggressive barbs at Erica about not being a real woman, she gets sent to the nightmare world for men who are bad at getting women pregnant, and when the guy who didn't know her pre-transition hooks up with her and then finds out about her history he acts super distraught about losing his virginity to her.

The director of Catherine is pretty infamous for having Opinions About LGBT People so people aren't exactly eager to give his work the benefit of the doubt in the first place.

Toby shows up in that ending the same age he is in game and since he's a decade younger than the rest of the cast it does not take place in the gently caress ing past. The people trying to sell you that are dupshits desperate to explain away the Same kind of gross writing the author has put out over the last 15 years.

Your Parents
Jul 19, 2017

by R. Guyovich

Mel Mudkiper posted:

I'm not sure what the issue is with going "wow, this guy is clearly having a different level of experience than I am"

ZMB is an incredibly toxic and manipulative person.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Toby shows up in that ending the same age he is in game and since he's a decade younger than the rest of the cast it does not take place in the gently caress ing past. The people trying to sell you that are dupshits desperate to explain away the Same kind of gross writing the author has put out over the last 15 years.

Yeah for real, Erica was handled incredibly poorly in the original and I do not believe for a single second that they've improved their handling of her at all. Nothing has gotten better.

Improbable Lobster fucked around with this message at 17:13 on Feb 18, 2019

Your Parents
Jul 19, 2017

by R. Guyovich

I have never played Catherine since i don't like Qbert puzzle games but from all available evidence online you are lying to try to make people upset.

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice

Your Parents posted:

I have never played Catherine since i don't like Qbert puzzle games but from all available evidence online you are lying to try to make people upset.

I'm curious, where's the evidence that ole' Toby isn't nine years younger than Vincent and Erica?

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
I'm refraining from discussion because...well, the game isn't out yet and all we have to go on by is secondhand info by less-than-reliable sources, and I think that's a good course of action for everyone.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

Dias posted:

I'm refraining from discussion because...well, the game isn't out yet and all we have to go on by is secondhand info by less-than-reliable sources, and I think that's a good course of action for everyone.

Yeah thats my position. I think its probably gonna be really lovely, but any work deserves to be critiqued as a complete product not as a secondhand collection of amateurishly-translated blog posts

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

Dias posted:

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Yeah thats my position. I think its probably gonna be really lovely, but any work deserves to be critiqued as a complete product not as a secondhand collection of amateurishly-translated blog posts

I don't care for these reasonable, adult posts, I want to be mad NOW

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Mystic Mongol posted:

A shitbag wrote the credits.

He complains and Erica teases Toby about it but seeing this happen always implied that they hook up anyway to me as it's one of the last shots in the post credit scene.

Credits deadnaming is stupid but I always liked Erica because Vincent and the group were apparently super supportive of the transition and remained close friends even after and Erica is also the character they picked to have Vincent confront the Final Boss with during the reveal.
I'm not sure if the same guy who wrote the clarification or not is the person who said it but apparently full-body also takes out a handful of Erica's jabs (telling her she probably won't be accepted in Women's Wrestling cited as a example.)

That said, I've heard about how the writer/guy behind the games is and I don't blame people for being wary at all. :sigh:
I really loved the gameplay of Catherine so I might just be grasping at straws in trying to be hopeful that it's not *that* bad though.

Dias posted:

This is probably for the best.

How are people supposedly seeing the new stuff anyway? Did it leak somewhere or come out in Japan?

ThisIsACoolGuy fucked around with this message at 17:58 on Feb 18, 2019

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.
Serious question, how culturally universal is the concept of dead-naming for trans individuals? I genuinely don't know and am curious if its a concept thats treated the same in Japan trans communities as it is here.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Serious question, how culturally universal is the concept of dead-naming for trans individuals? I genuinely don't know and am curious if its a concept thats treated the same in Japan trans communities as it is here.

Uh, extremely? It should be pretty obvious why

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Improbable Lobster posted:

Uh, extremely? It should be pretty obvious why

I mean I assume yeah but I also realize I don't really know much about the topic

Sort of like how reading elements of Yukio Mishima reframed issues of homosexuality and masculinity in Japan versus here.

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

How are people supposedly seeing the new stuff anyway? Did it leak somewhere or come out in Japan?

It came out in Japan a couple days ago and Catherine isn't exactly the longest game to play through.

Mel Mudkiper posted:

I'm not even close to an expert on transgender issues in Japan, but from what I always hear in Japan they put more emphasis on transition being a more transformative thing compared to the Western idea of matching your body, appearance and presentation to your inherent gender identity. How true or widely accepted is I cannot say.

For deadnaming in particular, obviously that poo poo is still rude as gently caress because whether viewed as transformative or inherent, it's still saying yeah I don't give a poo poo about you or your identity. There was that zombie idol show that was super popular last year where it was a pretty big deal for a transgender girl character to declare her old male name as dead and gone.

If anything, given how pronouns work way differently in Japanese than they do in English, deadnaming would be a way bigger deal for them than it already is in Western cultures.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

a cartoon duck posted:

I'm not even close to an expert on transgender issues in Japan, but from what I always hear in Japan they put more emphasis on transition being a more transformative thing compared to the Western idea of matching your body, appearance and presentation to your inherent gender identity. How true or widely accepted is I cannot say

Yeah thats interesting and I hadn't considered it. Basically I think I need to find some stuff about gender identity in Japan.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Your Parents posted:

Dude there's literally pictures of Erica pre transition standing next to Toby arm around his shoulder. You literally don't know what you are talking about

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Toby is canonically a decade younger than the rest of the cast who went to school together.

gently caress off with this bullshit.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

I still don't get why you were mad about kingdom hearts

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

How does the loving sbf thread manage to get so vitriolic

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Mel Mudkiper posted:

I still don't get why you were mad about kingdom hearts

It was a real dumb question to go "why does someone care so much about this thing I like??? He only played it recently". Like it's cause he connected with it when you didn't. It comes across as, like Tae said, weird gatekeeping.

Your Parents
Jul 19, 2017

by R. Guyovich

Dude there's literally pictures of Erica pre transition standing next to Toby arm around his shoulder. You literally don't know what you are talking about

is that where toby goes drat i wish i could find a good girl and erica says "theres one closer than you think", implying she still transitions and also that they still get together? itd be weird if you were leaving that part out on purpose to try to get people worked up.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Andrast posted:

I mean, fighting over tank controls I get but this seems excessive

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

It was a real dumb question to go "why does someone care so much about this thing I like??? He only played it recently"

I didnt say that, the other guy did.

I just was like "Man, Kingdom Hearts goes over my head"

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"

Andrast posted:

goons are poised to turn on each other at a moments notice

its the way of things

Depths
Apr 15, 2009

SENPAI

Andrast posted:

just a couple of people turning the faucet on the toxicity to our city

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Your Parents posted:

is that where toby goes drat i wish i could find a good girl and erica says "theres one closer than you think", implying she still transitions and also that they still get together? itd be weird if you were leaving that part out on purpose to try to get people worked up.

The line literally translates as something close to "I wonder if there's any angels like that left in this world". No mention of 'women' or 'girls'. Erica could just as easily be a gay man in the new timeline.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Dabir posted:

The line literally translates as something close to "I wonder if there's any angels like that left in this world". No mention of 'women' or 'girls'. Erica could just as easily be a gay man in the new timeline.

We should probably see how it gets translated imho

somepartsareme
Mar 10, 2012

Diggle Hell is a Real
(Swingin') Place
honestly that writer has gone out of his way to be so openly bigoted for so long that even if there really is a reeeaaalllly good reason that showing a trans woman pretransition isn't as bad as it looks, honest, it's probably a good thing if people stop letting him get away with his bullshit

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Andrast posted:

pat is a bad influence

HoboTech
Feb 13, 2005

Reading this with the voice in your skull.

Stairmaster posted:

pat is a bad influence

Now we just need someone to get banned on purpose while shouting "You didn't win! You didn't win!"

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Mel Mudkiper posted:

It's already been translated by people who speak Japanese who've seen the footage. If you want the official English release, all I can say to that is that "translation" and "localisation" do not mean the same thing. It's likely that the official localisation will make changes to try and smooth this out, and I wouldn't be surprised if that line gets tweaked.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

Mel Mudkiper posted:

It'll be loving bad no matter how it's translated

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Dabir posted:

If you want the official English release, all I can say to that is that "translation" and "localisation" do not mean the same thing.

I think the difference can be pretty blurry though

I've seen unofficial translators get the words right but the significance of the message wrong plenty of times

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Dabir posted:

Even if it was the imaginary implication Your Parents thinks it was it's still the writer.going out of their way to show Erica as a man in the supposed everyone got what they wanted happy ending in the context of a game who's narrative goes out of its way to make sure you know she's really a man even in the eyes of God since she's affected by the curse. It's just one more little barb on the gross writing and transphobic poo poo that the game dumps out.

Also this is Ignoring the qeird implication that I'm clearly just lying to get people mad and not you know...a transwomen just super sqeezed out by the game going out of its way in New content to dump even harder on transwomen.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

They're talking about catherine on the podcast right now.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Mel Mudkiper posted:

I am finally catching up on liam's kh3 playthrough and it is one of the strongest " Man, I dont get it" I have ever felt

Mel Mudkiper posted:

there is a level of admiration here that is wholly alien to me

Mel Mudkiper posted:

man its going over my head

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

I think I have liked something in the past

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BEACjCmwrRo&hd=1

Woolie just released his full DMC2 LP.

Your Parents
Jul 19, 2017

by R. Guyovich

Even if it was the imaginary implication Your Parents thinks it was it's still the writer.going out of their way to show Erica as a man in the supposed everyone got what they wanted happy ending in the context of a game who's narrative goes out of its way to make sure you know she's really a man even in the eyes of God since she's affected by the curse. It's just one more little barb on the gross writing and transphobic poo poo that the game dumps out.

Also this is Ignoring the qeird implication that I'm clearly just lying to get people mad and not you know...a transwomen just super sqeezed out by the game going out of its way in New content to dump even harder on transwomen.

you are though. you're literally quoting a post that says "actually in the real dialogue they call erica an angel" and extrapolating that to mean theyre attacking trans people even more. you constantly exaggerate and lie to make people feel more attacked and scared and to further transphobic narratives.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

Your Parents posted:

you are though. you're literally quoting a post that says "actually in the real dialogue they call erica an angel"

Yeah, after she's magically prevented from transitioning you loving idiot, how are you not understand how transphobic this poo poo is