Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arkeus
Jul 21, 2013

Ytlaya posted:

Ohhh, thanks, this makes sense (and now that you mention it I believe something like this was mentioned during that conversation).

I get the impression there's a pretty huge gap between Truegold and Underlord. All the golds we've seen so far, regardless of stage, have abilities that aren't anything too nuts (to make a Forge of Destiny comparison, all Gold-level techniques in the Cradle books seem roughly comparable with the stuff Yellow/Silver people can do in FoD), while Eithan has a genuinely crazy ability.

It does the 'classic' thing with 3 levels per realms:

Copper-Iron-Jade
Lowgold-Highgold-Truegold
Underlord-Overlord-TrueLord?
Majesty something something

As such, the difference between Jade and Gold, or Truegold and Underlord, or Truelord? and Majesty? are particularly big.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

Arkeus posted:

It does the 'classic' thing with 3 levels per realms:

Copper-Iron-Jade
Lowgold-Highgold-Truegold
Underlord-Overlord-TrueLord?
Majesty something something

As such, the difference between Jade and Gold, or Truegold and Underlord, or Truelord? and Majesty? are particularly big.

Not really for Jade to Gold. The transition from Jade to Gold is rushed and not handled well in general, but there's a line something like "a lowgold is just a jade with teeth" in one of the books. The transition to Underlord is unique so far though in that it adds genuinely novel abilities. The closest comparison would be the copper to iron transition which gives Iron Body except that only some Iron Bodies have cool powers, but all Underlords get a new powerset. Truegold to Underlord is definitely the biggest jump described so far.

Sage is somewhere past Majesty if I remember right.

Arkeus
Jul 21, 2013

LLSix posted:

Not really for Jade to Gold. The transition from Jade to Gold is rushed and not handled well in general, but there's a line something like "a lowgold is just a jade with teeth" in one of the books. The transition to Underlord is unique so far though in that it adds genuinely novel abilities. The closest comparison would be the copper to iron transition which gives Iron Body except that only some Iron Bodies have cool powers, but all Underlords get a new powerset. Truegold to Underlord is definitely the biggest jump described so far.

Sage is somewhere past Majesty if I remember right.

Sage is under Majesty. It's a really good Truelord.

I would also say that Jade => Gold is as big as Truegold => Underlord. They both completely change how you level afterward. Copper-Iron-Jade is basically "the physical level", while "Gold/Highgold/Truegold" is "the assimilation of the thing level".

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
The highest Lord rank is Archlord. That's what the Sage of the Endless Sword was. The more we find out about power scaling on Cradle, the more it becomes apparent that making Lindon immune to poison was a superb idea on Eithan's part.

Silynt
Sep 21, 2009
The fact that a group of Jades killed the Sword Sage seems like a big plot hole, since it came from book 1 before the levels beyond Jade were defined and we now know that a Sage is basically a god compared to a Jade. The author swears that it isn’t and that he had a plan from the beginning, but we’ll have to wait and see.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Silynt posted:

The fact that a group of Jades killed the Sword Sage seems like a big plot hole, since it came from book 1 before the levels beyond Jade were defined and now we know that a Sage is basically a god compared to a Jade. The author swears that it isn’t and that he had a plan from the beginning, but we’ll have to wait and see.

They poisoned him. Poison really, really fucks sacred artists up unless they have specific defences against it. That super-efficient metabolism? Kind of a problem.

Avulsion
Feb 12, 2006
I never knew what hit me

Darth Walrus posted:

They poisoned him. Poison really, really fucks sacred artists up unless they have specific defences against it. That super-efficient metabolism? Kind of a problem.

The Sword Sage was supposed to be a master of alchemy, with a pill for everything.

One fan theory seems to be that something in the Sacred Valley weakens high level sacred artists, which would also explain why Lindon wasn't simply vaporized when Li Markuth hit him.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

Did we ever get an explanation for why the sacred 5-tailed fox is kept inside a bunch of script circles? Or how it got outside at the end of the first book? I don't remember one.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Silynt posted:

The fact that a group of Jades killed the Sword Sage seems like a big plot hole, since it came from book 1 before the levels beyond Jade were defined and we now know that a Sage is basically a god compared to a Jade. The author swears that it isn’t and that he had a plan from the beginning, but we’ll have to wait and see.

IIRC, Will Wight has said that there were specific circumstances involved in the Sword Sage's death that will be revealed in future books. Sacred Valley's "curse" seems like the most likely explanation.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

^^^ I was just about to comment on how those Jades were actually totally badasses whose families should be honored for 100 generations or whatever, judging from what we know. Like, Lindon backstabbing a Highgold and using a gimmicky tool made by someone else was a Big Deal that, according to Yerin, was something to be immensely proud of. If that's the case, then some Jades killing a Sage, even if he was sleeping, should be a huge deal and the Sage would only have himself to blame for not setting up proper defenses or something.

I think that he did have the levels above Gold in mind in book 1 though, because Li Markuth says something like "yeah I guess by the standards of this valley I'd be Gold," implying that there's stuff above that but the Valley just isn't ware of it.

Arkeus posted:

The "visual" difference as seen between Jade and Gold isn't that big, though. Gold gets the Goldsign, but in terms of actual techniques they seem pretty comparable. Like, that Heaven's Glory dude was Jade and shooting out big lasers, which doesn't seem much less impressive than, say, the Sandvipers (or whatever that clan was called) making poison clouds or forged poison spikes.

Avulsion posted:

One fan theory seems to be that something in the Sacred Valley weakens high level sacred artists, which would also explain why Lindon wasn't simply vaporized when Li Markuth hit him.

Do we ever find out what Li Markuth's deal is? I imagine he must be whatever level is necessary to leave Cradle (Archlord?).

edit: One other question, though don't answer it (outside of spoiler tags anyways) if I'm not supposed to know yet (beginning of book 3) - Am I supposed to think that the Wei clan (and thus Lindon's family) was killed by Heaven's Glory sect? That was sort of hinted at happening at the end of Book 1.

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 00:11 on Feb 19, 2019

shades of blue
Sep 27, 2012
He's also said that it's supposed to be weird that they killed him and he did a poo poo job of getting that across. I think he's also said that the Whitefox is by a lot the strongest entity in Sacred Valley so probably Truegold which is p interesting. Maybe the seals have something to do with that?

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Ytlaya posted:

Do we ever find out what Li Markuth's deal is? I imagine he must be whatever level is necessary to leave Cradle (Archlord?).

I think leaving Cradle normally requires you to be at least Herald level. I think Will said at some point in his online Q&A sessions that Li Markuth is an Archlord, but left Cradle by hitching a ride with someone more powerful. This might explain why he seemed to think he wasn't breaking the Abidan's rules by returning.

quote:

edit: One other question, though don't answer it (outside of spoiler tags anyways) if I'm not supposed to know yet (beginning of book 3) - Am I supposed to think that the Wei clan (and thus Lindon's family) was killed by Heaven's Glory sect? That was sort of hinted at happening at the end of Book 1.

That's definitely implied, yes. Although I think it was also implied that Elder Whisper, at least, survived.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

Probably at least some of his family survived too, because its pretty obvious Jai Chen was his wife in the original timeline, and presumably she is going to seek shelter with them again.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

All of this was an extremely mean prank by Sariel, who sent Lindon off to become strong with the motivation of protecting his family/clan, despite knowing that they would all be killed as a result of his actions several days after he leaves Sacred Valley.

By the way, I agree with whoever said that Sacred Valley might suppress development or something; it's simply too weird that literally a hundred generations of people (who do wars and poo poo, so it's not like they're totally coddled) never figured out how to go beyond Jade, a level which literal children reach everywhere else in the world (though even this is kind of weird, you'd think there would still be a bunch of people without the support of others teaching them how to cultivate).

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

Ytlaya posted:

(though even this is kind of weird, you'd think there would still be a bunch of people without the support of others teaching them how to cultivate).
Those people are dead.

shades of blue
Sep 27, 2012
i think the implication is that a. there's a curse on the valley and b. nobody in sacred valley understands iron bodies for some reason (likely to do with elder whisper mercing them) and iron bodies are explicitly pretty much the most important part of advancing.

shades of blue
Sep 27, 2012
also the fact that sacred valley has less natural resources and seems way more stable than any other place we've been to might contribute to them advancing way slower

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Jai Long and the Sandvipers/Gokren are heartwarming.

Jester Mcgee
Mar 28, 2010

A lot of things have happened to me over my life.

I love Jai Long and think it says a lot about the author that I still like a character who thinks the protagonist, who I also like, is a total poo poo.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I hope Jai Long's combat strategy continues to consist of stabbing people and using all the excess absorbed madra to poo poo out a bunch of energy snakes.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

Just reached the current content of Forge of Destiny. I hadn't realized it was so new. The writer packs a lot of content into each real world day. I feel like the MC will stay in school for a long time yet.

I'm not sure how I feel about each meridian having its own aspect as opposed to Cradle's one aspect per core approach. Letting each meridian have its own aspect feels like a fake limitation since you can just keep opening new meridians and also dilutes the thematic notes since anyone can have any aspect/element/art.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

LLSix posted:

Just reached the current content of Forge of Destiny. I hadn't realized it was so new. The writer packs a lot of content into each real world day. I feel like the MC will stay in school for a long time yet.

I'm not sure how I feel about each meridian having its own aspect as opposed to Cradle's one aspect per core approach. Letting each meridian have its own aspect feels like a fake limitation since you can just keep opening new meridians and also dilutes the thematic notes since anyone can have any aspect/element/art.

Are you reading it on Royal Road? Because the version there is an in-progress edited version of the web serial on sufficientvelocity where Ling Qi is done with her first year and has begun her second year, and isn't very far into all the existing current content - https://forums.sufficientvelocity.com/threads/forge-of-destiny-xianxia-quest.35583/reader

FoD's approach to arts is significantly different from Cradle's. People can learn and "equip" many arts of different elements, and the effects of those arts are more mechanically complex because there's actual dice rolling and poo poo going on in the background (during Forge of Destiny all the fights involved dice rolling to determine aspects of how they play out, like whether attacks hit or miss, how much damage they do, etc). So it's not like Cradle where you just go super deep into a specific element/concept. You can mostly ignore meridian stuff; probably the most relevant/important thing is that elements are associated with certain concepts and seem to be tied into characters' personalities to some extent.

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 03:24 on Feb 21, 2019

Katreus
May 31, 2011

You and I both know this is silly, but this is the biggest women's sporting event in the world. Let's try to make the most of it, shall we?
It's come up before in Ruan Shen's 2nd tutoring section in FOD but there is a soft cap on meridian opening somewhere in the 50s. The actual number and difficulty is somewhat different based on talent and breakthrough bonuses.

The soft cap and the corresponding increase in difficulty is part of why the White Room is such a big deal and how/why the Cai are so fabulously wealthy as a new ducal family.

Also, arts are important, but if I understand the thrust of the story correctly, domain and way will become increasingly more important as Ling Qi progresses through third realm and into fourth and higher.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

Not exactly a web novel, but we've been talking cultivation stories a lot lately, and they've inspired me to run a CYOA again: All Ways Be Cultivating. I hope you'll check it out.

On a not-unrelated note; what are the good places to post up a web novel? I've noticed that a lot of stories got hosted on several sites but I haven't yet figured out which are legit and which aren't.

Ytlaya posted:

Are you reading it on Royal Road? Because the version there is an in-progress edited version of the web serial on sufficientvelocity where Ling Qi is done with her first year and has begun her second year, and isn't very far into all the existing current content - https://forums.sufficientvelocity.com/threads/forge-of-destiny-xianxia-quest.35583/reader

I had been reading on Royal Road; good guess. Thank you for the link! Looking forward to getting caught up for real.

edit: There are some pretty major differences introduced by the editing. A lot of the Elder Su notes got dropped. There've also been significant revisions to the order things happen in. I think the Royal Road version may also have extra content from other character's viewpoints. Interesting.

LLSix fucked around with this message at 05:01 on Feb 21, 2019

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Katreus posted:

Also, arts are important, but if I understand the thrust of the story correctly, domain and way will become increasingly more important as Ling Qi progresses through third realm and into fourth and higher.

Aren't domain and arts sort of tied together though? Like domain is formed by the arts you heavily invest in.

I imagine much later making your own arts also becomes a factor.

LLSix posted:

edit: There are some pretty major differences introduced by the editing. A lot of the Elder Su notes got dropped. There've also been significant revisions to the order things happen in. I think the Royal Road version may also have extra content from other character's viewpoints. Interesting.

It's mostly changes to order from what I read; I don't think there's that much outright new content, so much as content that is shifted around.

While I never really followed the "game mechanics" aspect of the story that much, it's still kind of interesting looking at how things panned out for each major encounter in the original version. I actually kinda like the way the dice rolling adds an element of randomness; it translates to characters "naturally" failing or succeeding when they attempt to dodge and what have you.

Katreus
May 31, 2011

You and I both know this is silly, but this is the biggest women's sporting event in the world. Let's try to make the most of it, shall we?

LLSix posted:

Yes. Bonus 3 and Bonus 4 is completely new content. Bonus 2 has a little bit added content for clarity. The author also plans to flesh out some scenes to make the antagonists pop more and is streamlining others to hopefully balance out the mix of events and story time. As the RR story goes on, there'll be more patreon votes so more bonus content added in re FOD RR version.

Also, in general, some minor things got changed in the edits. For example, iirc, Sun Liling is now a great granddaughter instead of a granddaughter; Fan Yu uses a short spear in FOD RR but I think used a saber in FOD SV; Ji Rong was out, then in, then back out re making it into Elder Zhou's advanced class; and in the RR version, it's more ambiguous as to whether Cui intentionally asked with the image of the bouncing necklace as FOD SV seemed to have had a much more innocuous Cui. There's probably other changes I'm forgetting now.

Katreus fucked around with this message at 09:55 on Feb 21, 2019

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH
Cui knows Sister Meizhen likes her people extra lumpy.

Humans: what a bunch of weirdos

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Katreus posted:

Yes. Bonus 3 and Bonus 4 is completely new content. Bonus 2 has a little bit added content for clarity. The author also plans to flesh out some scenes to make the antagonists pop more and is streamlining others to hopefully balance out the mix of events and story time. As the RR story goes on, there'll be more patreon votes so more bonus content added in re FOD RR version.

Also, in general, some minor things got changed in the edits. For example, iirc, Sun Liling is now a great granddaughter instead of a granddaughter; Fan Yu uses a short spear in FOD RR but I think used a saber in FOD SV; Ji Rong was out, then in, then back out re making it into Elder Zhou's advanced class; and in the RR version, it's more ambiguous as to whether Cui intentionally asked with the image of the bouncing necklace as FOD SV seemed to have had a much more innocuous Cui. There's probably other changes I'm forgetting now.

Ah! Somehow I missed that the Patreon votes were for the RR rewrite. I was wondering where the stuff from the past votes went after not seeing it in Threads of Destiny.

edit: Speaking of which, looks like we'll probably finally get the Great Sects one from this recent vote. I voted for that when it first came up, though something else won out at the time.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
i've found my newest crime against literature. Shadow Hack! it's probably the most poorly written webnovel that has been translated into coherent english that i have ever seen. the genre is best described as "poop from a butt". the author can't coherently describe any aspect of his overly complex setting, and often decides that things work differently for no particular reason in consecutive chapters. most of the fights are simply paragraph upon paragraph of gushing about how wonderful x layers of defense are. i'm not exaggerating about that point at all, and it is hilarious. the mc is incredibly dumb, but he's not supposed to be. that's just the smartest the author can imagine anyone possibly being.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

i've found my newest crime against literature. Shadow Hack! it's probably the most poorly written webnovel that has been translated into coherent english that i have ever seen. the genre is best described as "poop from a butt". the author can't coherently describe any aspect of his overly complex setting, and often decides that things work differently for no particular reason in consecutive chapters. most of the fights are simply paragraph upon paragraph of gushing about how wonderful x layers of defense are. i'm not exaggerating about that point at all, and it is hilarious. the mc is incredibly dumb, but he's not supposed to be. that's just the smartest the author can imagine anyone possibly being.

Yeah. It's actually kinda impressive how high this was in the rankings over at Qidian and Novel Updates until fairly recently for no reason that I can discern.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.
Is botting a thing that happens in rankings? I feel like some writer/publisher would drop a weeks pay on bot farms to jack ratings and hope it snags in enough people to be worth it in the long run. Because it may be a genre and system that is filled with mediocrity and outright terrible fan fiction, but there's still better fan fiction to be found than some of the poo poo in the top ten.

Fallorn
Apr 14, 2005

Mulva posted:

Is botting a thing that happens in rankings? I feel like some writer/publisher would drop a weeks pay on bot farms to jack ratings and hope it snags in enough people to be worth it in the long run. Because it may be a genre and system that is filled with mediocrity and outright terrible fan fiction, but there's still better fan fiction to be found than some of the poo poo in the top ten.

Also yes botting does happen because of wanting people to see it but the key thing that matters for the translator is how high it is on the ranking and how many (paid) stones people are spending reading it.

I really have to laugh about Reincarnation of the Strongest Sword God because the MC is like oh no if I die I go down a level when from what I can tell he has died exactly one time in the entire novel.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
in chapter 179 of shadow hack, the mc visits a market and observes someone screaming very loudly about how a shop should buy this thingy the mc wants. naturally, the mc offers to buy it, but at an even higher price than was asked for if the guy told him where he got it. he immediately gives the guy the money before getting the item, then threatens to murder him if he runs without handing it over. this was in a vr world, where no one can die, but no one bothered to acknowledge this fact. when the mc gets the item he paid for, the mc immediately flees the scene, for no reason at all. no one was chasing him, he was in disguise, and this was in vr so he was not at risk in any way. also, since he ran away for no reason, he did not learn where the item came from.

that he was able to take a physical item out of vr at all is something the author keeps changing his mind about. it works in one chapter, he comes up with rules for what can and can't transfer in the next, and then of course immediately breaks those rules.

i can never get enough of garbage fiction.

lurksion
Mar 21, 2013
Huh. At some point I wonder if said authors are trolling the readers.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
unfortunately, it has now started with magical enslavement poo poo. it's a pity, but i'm out.

Fallorn
Apr 14, 2005
Treasure Hunt Tycoon is a webnovel where the MC cheat is that he has a little invisible bug that is invisible and go through walls into storage units that are auctioned to see if there is any good poo poo. IT IS A WEBNOVEL BASED OFF STORAGE WARS with the MC in Arizona and eating out at a mexican food restaurant costing like 1000-2000 bucks for food. It is a strange trip.

drilldo squirt
Aug 18, 2006

a beautiful, soft meat sack
Clapping Larry
That's the greatest thing I'm not going to read I've ever been aware of.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Fallorn posted:

Treasure Hunt Tycoon is a webnovel where the MC cheat is that he has a little invisible bug that is invisible and go through walls into storage units that are auctioned to see if there is any good poo poo. IT IS A WEBNOVEL BASED OFF STORAGE WARS with the MC in Arizona and eating out at a mexican food restaurant costing like 1000-2000 bucks for food. It is a strange trip.

Status in COO
1650 Chapters (Completed)

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

Reached the end of the first Forge of Destiny quest. I still enjoy it enough to keep reading, but I feel like it peaked somewhere around 2/3rds of the way through. The whole tone shifts once Ling Qi becomes one of the top cultivators. There isn't the frission of tension anymore that was the driving force of most of the story arc. She's clearly not a match for any of the top 3 cultivators but hardly anyone else is a meaningful threat anymore and it takes forever to get her spirit beast to be useful.

Looking over the new thread rules it looks like they forgot that Ling Qi owns a pill furnace; which is pretty funny since it was such a huge source of income for her.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Katreus
May 31, 2011

I think you'll like TOD. Outer Sect is designed to weed the top players out, but the artificial culling every year means that once you reach the top, your peers are limited (for that year). Not an issue in Inner Sect obviously.

Edit: I'll also agree that once at that level, the question was more if certain other people Ling Qi liked would get in and CRX's face given certain performances. I also really like the politicking at the tournament.

The pill furnace location is answered. Not sure in TOD or FOD. If you are still confused a few updates into TOD, ask again.

Katreus fucked around with this message at 20:47 on Feb 28, 2019