Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

Nintendo and SE seem to be the only publishers that like working with Platinum

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

my buddy Superfly
Feb 28, 2011

Apex is good and cool.

https://twitter.com/rainbowfission/status/1097588837776326657

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

that main character is literally just nero with a dragon arm instead of a demon arm isn't he

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

he wears headphones also

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum

Cowcaster posted:

that main character is literally just nero with a dragon arm instead of a demon arm isn't he

He also like to put on his headphones and that's why you have battle music.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

doesn't nero wear headphones

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

Crabtree posted:

He also like to put on his headphones and that's why you have battle music.

That's actually pretty cool

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

She likes to listen to MP3s while hunting.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
DMC5 is just going to end with Nero ending up in Scalebound.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Accordion Man posted:

DMC5 is just going to end with Nero ending up in Scalebound.

It will end like every game in the genre, with me completing it multiple times still having no clue how to actually play it correctly

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

former creative director sez: probably not

https://twitter.com/synaesthesiajp/status/1097584333500674049

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

What is the original source of this rumor?

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

if he doesn't work there anymore how would he know

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Legends 3 hype baby!!!!!!!

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Cowcaster posted:

if he doesn't work there anymore how would he know

I am assuming he left Platinum with a pretty good knowledge of just how completely dead Scalebound is.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

it's also an IP owned by Microsoft, not Platinum

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Grapplejack posted:

Legends 3 hype baby!!!!!!!

And with modern Inafune gone it could even be good!

Legends 3 is still not real.

chumbler fucked around with this message at 21:41 on Feb 18, 2019

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

I said come in! posted:

What is the original source of this rumor?

The linked Nintendo Insider article just says "I have confidence in my sources to report that it is my understanding that Scalebound has been resurrected as a project to be released as a Nintendo Switch exclusive."

so :shrug: I have no metric for how much we should trust the word and judgement of this Alex Seedhouse

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

I hope the revived project turns out to be something more interesting, because I don't know what Scalebound is and it looks uninteresting!

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I would rather Platinum just focus entirely on Bayonetta 3.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

they're also working on that babylon's fall game too aren't they

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

MML3 didn't get past a prototype version and was for 3DS so the fidelity would not be great (and I think MML looks better low-res than in high-def because of the intentionally low-poly models and architecture)

last night i looked through possible candidates based on the idea that it'd need to be a game that was far in development and for a system that is roughly translatable to switch's power

1) there was a single-player legacy of kain game that was 3 years in development before it got scrapped, and the multiplayer stuff got retooled into Nosgoth. but not many people care about ol' Kain

2) dead phoenix was one of the Capcom Five for the Gamecube that got cancelled, it was going to be a panzer-dragoon style game. dunno how far in development this one got

3) human head's Prey 2 was very far in development, and Bethesda is very chummy with Nintendo. they could release it under a subtitle, like Prey: Exodus (name of the planet in the game). human head would probably be pretty angry if that was resumed without them, though, given the development history and how they got screwed

4) mega man universe was basically going to be Mario Maker for megaman. micromanagement and capcom's then disinterest in the franchise killed it (it also looked loving ugly at the time). since Nintendo is into the make and share thing now, i'd say this has a decent possibility, but it would probably be redesigned

and now some extremely impossible candidates but fun to just say out loud

thrill kill
silent hills
deep down
pantha rhei
star wars 1313
sam & max: freelance police
eternal darkness 2
GRIN's FF12 spinoff game Fortress

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

they were working on the Granblue Fantasy action rpg too until cygames kicked them off it recently

they're a pretty big studio though, they can do multiple games at once as long as someone else is footing the bill.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum
Oh gently caress no, Legacy of Kain:Dead Sun was awful. It had no narrative connection to the story of Kain, basically created another but worse Raziel in the protag and was late 00s edge trash in a game about 00s vampires. That deserved to die because it was the same as that Nosgoth multiplayer piece of poo poo.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

The 7th Guest posted:

it's also an IP owned by Microsoft, not Platinum

When Scalebound was cancelled I remember listening to a podcast where they said Platinum owned the IP, but that Microsoft owned some assets created for the game, such as textures and level designs.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

i know they've got some industry clout these days but i never had the impression that platinum was all that big of a studio, what with rising from the ashes of clover and all. have they really grown all that much since then?

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Steve Yun posted:

When Scalebound was cancelled I remember listening to a podcast where they said Platinum owned the IP, but that Microsoft owned some assets created for the game, such as textures and level designs.

So it sounds like Platinum would have to essentially start all over again.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

Cowcaster posted:

i know they've got some industry clout these days but i never had the impression that platinum was all that big of a studio, what with rising from the ashes of clover and all. have they really grown all that much since then?

The wonders that a gigantic rear end can do for a company

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Samuringa posted:

The wonders that a gigantic rear end can do for a company

Are you talking about Bayonetta or 2B

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

Cowcaster posted:

their website says they have 206 employees which isn't huge but it's enough to have multiple games in production, especially the mid-budget sort of games they make.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

Help Im Alive posted:

Are you talking about Bayonetta or 2B

or Kamiya? heh

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

some cursory googling says arkane has about half that many employees, so that's definitely bigger than i was picturing. only sort of tangentially related but telltale at its zenith had 400 employees before it choked itself to death with too many projects

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer

Cowcaster posted:

I'll take it!

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

Looper posted:

hey friends, it's that time again. what are some games with good crafting systems?

did anyone say Dragon Quest XI cause I think that's the platonic ideal

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

if scalebound is being 'made for the switch' i imagine itd be more a case of them retooling the ideas into somethng for the switch rather than just bring it over straight across. like how dmc1 started life as re4, or something.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

Cowcaster posted:

to be fair, that was also a component of metal gear solid v, one of the greatest games ever created

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

powerful tree...

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

oddium posted:

powerful tree...

Wario broke Wispy Woods' nose.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

your-nose-now-whistles woods

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
Yeah I was reading that article and so far it's just speculation and of course the former guy would know more than anyone.

The fact he even says it's probably not likely instead of the usual don't comment on rumor PR statement kinda seems like yeah it ain't scalebound.