Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Plague Knight had the best story but Spectre Knight absolutely had the best gameplay.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

https://youtu.be/6ktDxzN8Y2U

Top ten anime battles :stare:

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Do not forget the face of your father.
Fun Shoe
Any suggestions for the second fight against Hornet? I've one shotted most other bosses but I just cannot down her. Her windup times are only good for dodging, I barely get hits in. I've got 8 hearts and the second or third nail. Once she starts summoning those spikes I can't hit them all and dodge her. A few of her moves have the same tell which is extremely frustrating. I'm at like 20+ attempts and not getting any closer.

I had no problems with her the first time ironically.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

The Gunslinger posted:

Any suggestions for the second fight against Hornet? I've one shotted most other bosses but I just cannot down her. Her windup times are only good for dodging, I barely get hits in. I've got 8 hearts and the second or third nail. Once she starts summoning those spikes I can't hit them all and dodge her. A few of her moves have the same tell which is extremely frustrating. I'm at like 20+ attempts and not getting any closer.

Definitely upgrade your nail again, you want level 4 or 5 for that one.

Harriet Carker
Jun 2, 2009

That was one of the hardest fights in the game for me for whatever reason. I don’t really have any advice except keep trying - I suck at the combat in this game and I somehow managed after a bunch of tries. You can do it!

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

The Gunslinger posted:

Her moves all actually have slightly different visual tells, it's only her shouts that are arbitrary and meaningless.

Alpenglow
Mar 12, 2007

I remember having a really hard time with that one until using the spirit attack to clear the spikes. Occasionally taking out 1 or 2 well out of reach made it a lot more manageable.

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

Alpenglow posted:

I remember having a really hard time with that one until using the spirit attack to clear the spikes. Occasionally taking out 1 or 2 well out of reach made it a lot more manageable.

Holy poo poo.

Darox
Nov 10, 2012

I decided to go back and try to finish the Pantheons and my main takeaway is: The intro to the Pure Vessel sucks rear end. 20 seconds of dead time spend every single time I want to retry the fight.

One Hundred Monkeys
Aug 7, 2010

The Gunslinger posted:

Clearing the spikes from a distance is helpful, as another poster already noted. The shaman stone increases projectile size as well as damage, making it easier to hit multiple spikes with a single spell; your call if that's worth the charm notches or not. Collecting the upgraded projectile spell is good for the same reasons, if you haven't picked it up already.

More generally, Hornet's at her most vulnerable just after attacking. She crouches down before lunging and stands upright with her spear held like a javelin before throwing it, so learn to tell the difference between those two. Her parry stance is instant but you can dodge the riposte by dashing away from her, so it's only dangerous if you let her back you into a corner. Her jumps are instant too, so hanging out directly above her is risky unless she's already committed to an attack. Try hitting her just after dodging one of her moves and then backing up until she attacks again.

Samopsa
Nov 9, 2009

Krijgt geen speciaal kerstdiner!

Alpenglow posted:

In general: using charms to buff damage spells instead of healing is way more effective on almost all bosses in the main game. You can basically damage race all bosses until the final boss/NKG. Play aggressively and spam those spells!

il serpente cosmico
May 15, 2003

Best five bucks I've ever spend.

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Rewatching the trailer and I think its set after. The bugs that have her in a cage seem to be wearing masks or something so "what if they're taking her out of hollownest and those masks protect them from losing their minds" came to me.

She breaks free and it's why she's not in the nest anymore. (And assuming her void nature protects her or something)

Hornet ain't void

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
Hornet is void, though. She's just also other stuff, like gender.

somnambulist
Mar 27, 2006

quack quack

So Nightmare King Grimm is impossible right?

You’re not actually supposed to beat him, it’s just a funny joke right?

*lights myself on fire*

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

Rand Brittain posted:

no, the wyrm isn't associated with the void and neither is herrah

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

somnambulist posted:

*lights myself on fire*

He's not even the hardest fight in the game. You can get a conclusion to the grimm sidequest without beating him though.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Johnny Joestar posted:

no, the wyrm isn't associated with the void and neither is herrah

She’s void-derived, just not a Vessel. When you come out of the Abyss she tells you that your power stems from the same source. She’s obviously not a regular bug.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

skasion posted:

She’s void-derived, just not a Vessel. When you come out of the Abyss she tells you that your power stems from the same source. She’s obviously not a regular bug.

quote:

Ghost. I see you've faced the place of your birth, and now drape yourself in the substance of its shadow.

Though our strength is born of similar source, that part of you, that crucial emptiness, I do not share.

Funny then, that such darkness gives me hope. Within it, I see the chance of change.

their 'strength' she's referring to is the fact that they're both children of the basically godlike creature that ruled over hallownest. the two are absolutely related, but they're half-siblings and the abyss is not the shared parent.

Jetrauben
Sep 7, 2011
angered the evil eye lately

Johnny Joestar posted:

their 'strength' she's referring to is the fact that they're both children of the basically godlike creature that ruled over hallownest. the two are absolutely related, but they're half-siblings and the abyss is not the shared parent.

It's even weirder because technically the Vessels are children of Root and Wyrm (already a massive ???? unless one assumes D&D genetics for the people of Hallownest to go with their stylized anthropomorphic bug bodies, since they're not even shaped the same way), sacrificed en masse and then having Void stuff stuffed into their corpses. So while Hornet may be your half sister, she is very much of a different sort.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

skasion posted:

She means the Wyrm, not the void.

Draile
May 6, 2004

forlorn llama

somnambulist posted:

*lights myself on fire*

This is a very difficult boss but also a very learnable one. He only has a few moves and your approach to dealing with them is the same each time. Keep throwing yourself at him until you have leaned his patterns.

Another tip, don’t get aggressive with him. Focus on dodging. If you’re not in a good position to hit him without taking damage yourself don’t take the risk. Just let him go into his next move.

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe

Draile posted:

This is a very difficult boss but also a very learnable one. He only has a few moves and your approach to dealing with them is the same each time. Keep throwing yourself at him until you have leaned his patterns.

Another tip, don’t get aggressive with him. Focus on dodging. If you’re not in a good position to hit him without taking damage yourself don’t take the risk. Just let him go into his next move.

This, as well as try using Shape of Unn, it turns the flame pillars into a fantastic healing opportunity.

il serpente cosmico
May 15, 2003

Best five bucks I've ever spend.

Rand Brittain posted:

Rather than write out an argument, I'm just going to post Mossbag's video, which is way more thorough than anything I could post here: https://youtu.be/0JKUolxcH10

King Superman
Nov 14, 2016

Pigbuster posted:

This, as well as try using Shape of Unn, it turns the flame pillars into a fantastic healing opportunity.

Hilariously, it also lets you crawl under the fire bats he throws.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

Going back to Hornet 2/general boss fight advice, abuse the hell out of Desolate Dive/Descending Dark, it gives you a disgusting amount of iframes on wakeup. Do it early as a reaction and good chances are that a. Hornet will go through the hitbox and get hit, b. you will be in your invincibility time when whatever she was doing connects, and c. you'll clear some spikes you didn't have a good opportunity to before.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Do not forget the face of your father.
Fun Shoe

YF-23 posted:

Going back to Hornet 2/general boss fight advice, abuse the hell out of Desolate Dive/Descending Dark, it gives you a disgusting amount of iframes on wakeup. Do it early as a reaction and good chances are that a. Hornet will go through the hitbox and get hit, b. you will be in your invincibility time when whatever she was doing connects, and c. you'll clear some spikes you didn't have a good opportunity to before.

I finally killed her, I equipped Quick Slash and Lifeblood Heart then literally spammed her to death with the last nail upgrade. Cheesy as hell but after 40-50 attempts I am done trying decipher her tells, high speed, randomness/positioning and other bullshit. I've done everything else you can do, one or two shotting most of it including the dream bosses and this was holding me back. Now I can go....finish the game apparently since little else is left other than post game. I know everyone has a boss they have problems with so I was bound to hit one or two but man it was extremely frustrating to get held up on progression like this.

Anyways thanks everyone for the advice and commiseration.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Johnny Joestar posted:

That doesn't make sense. The lack of "emptiness" pretty clearly is talking about the fact that she has a voice and desires and a will and so forth. The Hollow Knight's strength doesn't come from being the child/creation of the Pale King, it comes from the Void.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
Hornet is also "the Gendered Child," which only makes sense if it's for some reason unusual for her to have a gender.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Also as of the Grimm Troupe DLC the White Lady talks about the Hollow Knight as her child so pointing to the (very ambiguous to begin with) intimations that Hornet is Herrah's child doesn't really tell us anything.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
Hornet is deffo Herrah's child. The White Lady describes the Pale King having a "dalliance" with Herrah, and she has "some affection" for the creature birthed, that being Hornet.

DoctorWhat fucked around with this message at 18:44 on Feb 18, 2019

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

DoctorWhat posted:

Hornet is deffo Herrah's child. The White Lady describes the Pale King having a "dalliance" with Herrah.

She also describes the Hollow Knight as her "spawn," which, as I said, is significantly less ambiguous re: exactly what it means.

The Void isn't a parent. It's just what HK and Hornet are made of.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

there's literally nothing ambiguous about herrah being hornet's mother, there's even an entire encounter in deepnest that makes it Incredibly Directly Obvious

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Johnny Joestar posted:

there's literally nothing ambiguous about herrah being hornet's mother, there's even an entire encounter in deepnest that makes it Incredibly Directly Obvious

That's not what I'm saying. I'm saying it's not clear what Herrah being Hornet's mother actually means in terms of how she was created. Whether she was born the regular way, created from bits of their souls, or whatever. This is significant because since the Hollow Knight also has two "parents," one of whom even talks about him/it in terms of biological reproduction rather than just vague overtones, but HK was made from voidstuff, isn't a bug, fungus, or wyrm, etc.

Which in turns means that nothing about having two parents rules out Hornet being basically just a variation on however Vessels are made.

Tuxedo Catfish fucked around with this message at 19:38 on Feb 18, 2019

Snazzy Frocks
Mar 31, 2003

Scratchmo
hornet doesn't show any signs or symptoms of being infused with void so i'll just assume shes not void until proven otherwise

Jetrauben
Sep 7, 2011

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

That's not what I'm saying. I'm saying it's not clear what Herrah being Hornet's mother actually means in terms of how she was created. Whether she was born the regular way, created from bits of their souls, or whatever. This is significant because since the Hollow Knight also has two "parents," one of whom even talks about him/it in terms of biological reproduction rather than just vague overtones, but HK was made from voidstuff, isn't a bug, fungus, or wyrm, etc.

Which in turns means that nothing about having two parents rules out Hornet being basically just a variation on however Vessels are made.

As I said before, the thing is, HK's biological body is the child of the Wyrm and Root - which then was sacrificed and had pure Void poured into it. That's the fundamental cruelty of the King's plan, it required the Pale King kill his own children to produce bodies capable of withstanding the Void inside them. This process obliterated the prior identity of the vessel in question; it's why the Vessels lack voices or conventional sex. (Compare to the Collector, who really is just a blob of shaped void-stuff.)

Whether the HK is, in any real respect, the bug its body used to be, or just empty Void following instructions, is an open question.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

Jetrauben posted:

As I said before, the thing is, HK's biological body is the child of the Wyrm and Root - which then was sacrificed and had pure Void poured into it. That's the fundamental cruelty of the King's plan, it required the Pale King kill his own children to produce bodies capable of withstanding the Void inside them. This process obliterated the prior identity of the vessel in question; it's why the Vessels lack voices or conventional sex. (Compare to the Collector, who really is just a blob of shaped void-stuff.)

Whether the HK is, in any real respect, the bug its body used to be, or just empty Void following instructions, is an open question.

Where is this ever mentioned? All I ever got out of the plot was the king considered the void beings his children since he created them.

Edit: Or at least the original Hollow Knight.

Jetrauben
Sep 7, 2011

Broken Cog posted:

Where is this ever mentioned? All I ever got out of the plot was the king considered the void beings his children since he created them.

Edit: Or at least the original Hollow Knight.

It's the implication of the White Lady's dialogue, where she says that the Vessel contains some part of herself (and that's why she can sense it even given her loss of sight), especially given her acknowledgement of the Knight as one of her spawn if you show up with Grimmchild in tow.

quote:

Your companion's eyes burn with a familiar flame... Success then for the scarlet heart, and irony, to use my spawn to grow its own.

Interestingly, she also compares Grimmchild to the Knight as sharing a similarity - presumably as vessels used in the propagation of their respective dynastic clans.

We can also observe how the Mask-Maker describes masks working for bugs - placing an (enchanted?) mask over a being's face protects them but destroys much of their prior identity, implicitly confining it within the new one of the mask. Masks and faces are seen as somewhat synonymous for bugs; it's unclear how many of the bugs we see have their "natural" faces versus their masks, but they seem to functionally work identically to each other.

The Knight's true face, incidentally, is also described as "hiding beneath" their outward face.

Jetrauben fucked around with this message at 21:45 on Feb 18, 2019

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
I wish there were a Hot Spring by the Hornet fight in Kingdom's Edge. Like a lot of people I find that one bizarrely difficult and it's hard enough going in without starting it at 0 focus. There is no way I am going to go farm up a full meter each time I die.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
Hell yeah, third Pantheon down :toot: What does Godseeker Mode do?

E: lmao The Eternal Ordeal

C-Euro fucked around with this message at 06:16 on Feb 20, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

C-Euro posted:

Hell yeah, third Pantheon down :toot: What does Godseeker Mode do?

It's just a new game that starts in the Godseeker realm with everything so you don't need to replay the game if you delete your save or something.