Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
Greathammers have more poisehealth than UGS, so if you look up the poise breakpoints you can win those trades.

Or use a fast weapon and poke them without them being able to retaliate because you can roll everything they do. spears make UGS/GH users sad

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kilinrax
Oct 27, 2014

Those eyes ... they disappeared.

Gumbel2Gumbel posted:

As for PVP, it is basically ruled by people spamming ultra greatswords and poising through all your attacks.

More because it has bad range and a very limited moveset. It'll absolutely still two shot low level people. Just don't take it to a meta duel.

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009
In PVP greathammers are regarded better than ultra swords simply because most greathammers have better movesets and better poise health. Ledos greathammer is so freaking good in PVP that its almost considered tryhard meta. Almost. (none of the ultras are really tryhard meta these days i think)

kilinrax
Oct 27, 2014

Those eyes ... they disappeared.

Iretep posted:

In PVP greathammers are regarded better than ultra swords simply because most greathammers have better movesets and better poise health. Ledos greathammer is so freaking good in PVP that its almost considered tryhard meta. Almost. (none of the ultras are really tryhard meta these days i think)

Jeenine has a guide on making them work - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FCWtoM38qso

Lots of tryhards are very open about thinking UGSs are trash, Revan619 for instance.

Ledo's is crazy good in invasions, if you can get past it blocking your camera. The Greatsword UGS is also a top-tier invasion weapon though. Poise weapons are generally better in invasions than duels, because they deal well with multiple small spammy weapons.

Dramatika
Aug 1, 2002

THE BANK IS OPEN
I'm bad but I'm having a lot of fun doing a Hollow Bandit Knife run

Bleed bitches :buddy:

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

IronicDongz posted:

Greathammers have more poisehealth than UGS, so if you look up the poise breakpoints you can win those trades.

Or use a fast weapon and poke them without them being able to retaliate because you can roll everything they do. spears make UGS/GH users sad

Partizans!

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

Lol so I just realized that one of the invasions I felt bad about losing so terribly was to Chasethebro, who has like 150k subscribers for his DS3 PVP channel.

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

Iretep posted:

there are more good weapons in the last dlc than bad depending on build so im not sure why youre bothering to list all the good ones instead of just the few bad ones.

the bad:
Preacher's Right Arm

here is a particularly dumb, but interesting gimmick involving two Preacher's Right Arms: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z5D8i5zRNEk

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

I only ever really rolled in ng, but I had a lot of fun with the farron sword. I'm fairly sure it sucks to anyone who knows what they're doing, but so many people just did not know what to do about me going full

A Sometimes Food fucked around with this message at 06:02 on Feb 19, 2019

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

It's really easy to parry that or Friede's Scythe weapon art.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Why does the farron GS parry suck so hard though

You're already giving up your offhand slot for a questionably useful moveset and what you get in return is probably the worst parry in the game

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009
because the A team suck at PVP. you can call the B team a lot of things, but they at least understood PVP better.

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

What weapon arts shield break?

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

Gumbel2Gumbel posted:

It's really easy to parry that or Friede's Scythe weapon art.

Yeah I figured but as a newbie loving up other newbies it was a ton of fun.

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

A Sometimes Food posted:

Yeah I figured but as a newbie loving up other newbies it was a ton of fun.

It's probably the second funniest thing to catch someone with except for the Crow Claws

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔
Started a new character just for shits and giggles, and I got a Great Corvian Scythe just from running through the Road of Sacrifices the first (and only planned) time. AND a Storyteller's Staff!

As I had no plans for the character, I really should just use that probably, considering how lucky that is?? Otoh, what am I going to do with it until I can Hollow infuse it? Or is that not even the best option anymore for it?

Anybody got experience? Maybe even a build idea ready? Or is it dumb and unfun anyway?

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
What exactly triggers Greirat to leave for Lothric Castle?

asio
Nov 29, 2008

"Also Sprach Arnold Jacobs: A Developmental Guide for Brass Wind Musicians" refers to the mullet as an important tool for professional cornet playing and box smashing black and blood

skasion posted:

What exactly triggers Greirat to leave for Lothric Castle?

Lothric castle bonfire after dancer, he will ask you if he can go when you return to firelink. But don't send him off until you have opened the grand archives (mostly because shrine handmaiden charges twice as much for firebombs).

Simply Simon posted:

Started a new character just for shits and giggles, and I got a Great Corvian Scythe just from running through the Road of Sacrifices the first (and only planned) time. AND a Storyteller's Staff!

As I had no plans for the character, I really should just use that probably, considering how lucky that is?? Otoh, what am I going to do with it until I can Hollow infuse it? Or is that not even the best option anymore for it?

Anybody got experience? Maybe even a build idea ready? Or is it dumb and unfun anyway?

It's fairly lucky, it's got very good reach (the reach is so good in PVP it's meta). It works fine with a physical or elemental infusion, you could make an int brawler and infuse with crystal if you wanted. An elemental infusion will improve the shield chip ability of the scythe which is more useful than the physical attack boost from a hollow infusion.

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

Shield chip is amazing when you're using dark or chaos weapons with a pyro build

berenzen
Jan 23, 2012

Seem to be getting a lot of darkmoon summons at SL85, which is nice. Managed to pick up about 20 Concords in addition to the ones you get from the game.

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

berenzen posted:

Seem to be getting a lot of darkmoon summons at SL85, which is nice. Managed to pick up about 20 Concords in addition to the ones you get from the game.

Yeah I have to take it off at 92 so I can progress

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

asio posted:

It's fairly lucky, it's got very good reach (the reach is so good in PVP it's meta). It works fine with a physical or elemental infusion, you could make an int brawler and infuse with crystal if you wanted. An elemental infusion will improve the shield chip ability of the scythe which is more useful than the physical attack boost from a hollow infusion.
Yeah, I read up on it and it seems Sharp or Dark are the ways to go. Hadn't considered Crystal, the advantage would ofc be less stat investment.

I don't plan for this to be a PvP build at all, btw, but I do want to do some of it on the side, so it's good to know it's capable. I think I'll test it out a bit in the swamp to get a feel for what it can do, just get it to +3 and base stats to use it for now.

Then pump the caster stats as I progress through the game, until I actually unlock Dark infusion. I wanted to try Witch's Locks for a long while now (then lost the char I almost had them on to a computer change and the realization that the game doesn't cloud save), so that's perfect.

After I have reached...30/30, right, in Int/Fth, 40? Vigor and 30? Endurance, I can just fill up Dex. Sound like a plan?

asio
Nov 29, 2008

"Also Sprach Arnold Jacobs: A Developmental Guide for Brass Wind Musicians" refers to the mullet as an important tool for professional cornet playing and box smashing black and blood

Simply Simon posted:

Yeah, I read up on it and it seems Sharp or Dark are the ways to go. Hadn't considered Crystal, the advantage would ofc be less stat investment.

I don't plan for this to be a PvP build at all, btw, but I do want to do some of it on the side, so it's good to know it's capable. I think I'll test it out a bit in the swamp to get a feel for what it can do, just get it to +3 and base stats to use it for now.

Then pump the caster stats as I progress through the game, until I actually unlock Dark infusion. I wanted to try Witch's Locks for a long while now (then lost the char I almost had them on to a computer change and the realization that the game doesn't cloud save), so that's perfect.

After I have reached...30/30, right, in Int/Fth, 40? Vigor and 30? Endurance, I can just fill up Dex. Sound like a plan?

Just thought crystal would work seeing as you got the (more difficult drop of) storytellers staff and maybe want to go battle mage.

Depends what level you want to go to. If you want to do the kind of pvp where your character has a cool name and you invade wearing the fashion ring, stop at sl90. If you want to try meta sl120/125 dark damage will definitely give you an advantage. Witches locks are really fun because whips are fun and witches locks actually deal damage. Any build sl90 and above I would take HP to 40 (or 35 and wear prisoners chain), int/faith 30/30, or take int to 40+ for battle mage. Rest of stats however you want. hp and damage stats are the only ones you really have to worry about. Get a nice big red bar and a stick that hurts then do whatever.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

I forgot my character's name already. I mainly want to first do some Wolf PvP, then wear Way of the Blue and finger up for fun while I go through the game, later Aldrich around a lot and maybe fill up on Shackles at some point.

I really don't want to hang with the meta, I hate DS3 PvP actually, but I have enough fun with it "when it happens" that I still think about it lowkey when planning a character.

Dark build will be good I think, and a good supplement of ranged damage for when the Scythe moveset is too annoying for me. Thanks!

vandalism
Aug 4, 2003
Dark souls is a God damned ocean, and I'm drowning. I spent like 50 hours playing in the last week or two. Help me...

In another note, I'm disappointed in the onyx blade. Seems bad.

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

vandalism posted:

Dark souls is a God damned ocean, and I'm drowning. I spent like 50 hours playing in the last week or two. Help me...

In another note, I'm disappointed in the onyx blade. Seems bad.

The buff isn't worth not having a weapon art or poise buff.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
It’s a pretty decent weapon for pyromancer thanks to the reach and low physical reqs, but it’s 1) not good unless you have loads of faith and intelligence, 2) relatively useless against anything that’s dark-resistant or just has lots of resistance across the board, and 3) not way better than, say, a dark claymore, though you can get it earlier.

vandalism
Aug 4, 2003

skasion posted:

It’s a pretty decent weapon for pyromancer thanks to the reach and low physical reqs, but it’s 1) not good unless you have loads of faith and intelligence, 2) relatively useless against anything that’s dark-resistant or just has lots of resistance across the board, and 3) not way better than, say, a dark claymore, though you can get it earlier.

I'm gonna do this setup.

https://mugenmonkey.com/darksouls3/358233

I got the lothric knight sword and that's pretty good.

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

vandalism posted:

I'm gonna do this setup.

https://mugenmonkey.com/darksouls3/358233

I got the lothric knight sword and that's pretty good.

It's one of the best weapons in the game. If you want to roll catch with it I believe you should either do a slightly delayed charged R2 or the weapon art R2 and that should nail them as they lose their I Frames.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

i've never really done a punch build OR a dedicated pyromancer build before so i'm having a fun as hell time running it in dark souls 3. already made sure to get the demon fists to go with my caestuses purely for style and have been running around in tatters and a blindfold with no shield for the optimal experience.

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

I'm doing a dedicated Pyro build myself and lucked into a Lothric Sword right off the bat. It's pretty fun slinging fireballs at stuff and I am ready as hell for chaos bed vestiges. :hfive:

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

And Tyler Too! posted:

I'm doing a dedicated Pyro build myself and lucked into a Lothric Sword right off the bat. It's pretty fun slinging fireballs at stuff and I am ready as hell for chaos bed vestiges. :hfive:

Set up CBV by using Black Serpent Flame and waiting until they roll towards you

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

so is chaos bed vestiges a good spell to get, then? i've just now beaten the old demon king (and gave up on trying to keep cuculus alive because god is it annoying) and was torn on if i wanted the hammer or that. will probably spring for the latter since i've never used it myself.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
I got to Sister Friede last night and was absolutely slaughtered during the 2nd phase when they double teamed me. My second attempt I summoned the NPC and an internet rando to help. The internet dude must have done this fight millions of times because he kept getting backstab after backstab on her and had her in the second phase really quickly. The NPC focused on her in the second phase leaving her dad in the chair for me and the internet dude. We killed him fairly quickly and I thought it was all over at this point since it gave me an item so I started doing the celebratory gestures as I usually do when someone helps me. Then I learned there’s a 3rd phase.

Luckily he just kept doing backstabs on her again and she was down in like, a minute. He was nice enough to let me get the final blow to end the fight.

DeafNote
Jun 4, 2014

Only Happy When It Rains
Friede isnt any fun unless she gets to doubleteam you when you're by yourself.

(Also I never found her that hard compared to Midir or Gael)

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

She's too long. Not absurdly hard, but just too long. DS bosses shouldn't take a long time to whittle down even when you know the fight, it means when you don't know the fight it takes foreeeeever and it increases the aggravation factor when you lose by tenfold.

DeafNote
Jun 4, 2014

Only Happy When It Rains
Thats more of a pattern with DS3 as a whole.

Though as far as inflated HP bosses go, Gael was far more frustrating and went harder on my Estus.
The spectacle more than made up to it for me though.

Promethium
Dec 31, 2009
Dinosaur Gum
I rolled up a pyromancer specifically to beat Friede using only Sacred Flame and it was very gratifying, would recommend trying it. Unfortunately this strategy doesn't work nearly as well in coop since your partners will start hitting her as she gets up and she'll jump away before the grab lands.

Pussy Quipped
Jan 29, 2009

Going in blind, I was ready to throw my controller after she stood up for phase 3. gently caress that fight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

Johnny Joestar posted:

so is chaos bed vestiges a good spell to get, then? i've just now beaten the old demon king (and gave up on trying to keep cuculus alive because god is it annoying) and was torn on if i wanted the hammer or that. will probably spring for the latter since i've never used it myself.

CBV is in top 3 for spells.