Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib

The Merkinman posted:

Every website should be ad-free and no paywall! I'm entitled to free content!!!1

100% agree, just lol if you're not adblocking.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

oh my god is that a circular saw that does not go in my mouth aaaaagh

Volguus posted:

? How come? What does the FTC have to do with this? Other than the fact that is entirely undesirable for a site to run its own advertising platform and nobody will ever do it, what other issues are with this approach?

The FTC generally gets unhappy when you display ads in ways where it's not clear that they're ads.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Avenging Dentist posted:

The FTC generally gets unhappy when you display ads in ways where it's not clear that they're ads.

As long as the image itself clearly is an ad, it's no problem. You can also mix ads with content in a legal way, think about how it is on TV. If serious effort is put into anti-blocking, it might be very difficult to fight back even if it's still possible to separate ads from content programmatically.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Avenging Dentist posted:

And the counterpart regulators in other countries can be a lot more strict.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Avenging Dentist posted:

Ahh, sponsored content.

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009

Avenging Dentist posted:

Oh, had no idea.

Klyith posted:

This is why every site started doing video content, because video ads are (or were) back on the per-view payments.

Had no idea about this either. I was wondering wtf got into them in the last whatever amount of years with everyone pushing video down your throat autoplaying whether it made sense or not.

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

oh my god is that a circular saw that does not go in my mouth aaaaagh

Ola posted:

As long as the image itself clearly is an ad, it's no problem. You can also mix ads with content in a legal way, think about how it is on TV. If serious effort is put into anti-blocking, it might be very difficult to fight back even if it's still possible to separate ads from content programmatically.

My main point is that "difficult" isn't that big of a problem, since you really only need a handful of dedicated nerds to develop the adblocker and maintain the filter lists. Then all the end users benefit. The only real concern I have with something like this is adblockers' capabilities being crippled in one way or another. Even if it's technically possible to distinguish ads, that doesn't help much if WebExtensions lack the necessary APIs. (That said, I don't think this will happen with Firefox, but who knows?)

FRINGE
May 23, 2003
title stolen for lf posting

Avenging Dentist posted:

Is that really still a thing?

After the Fox suit where they won the right to create fake news to manipulate the public (as long as they claim the fake news was technically "entertainment") I assumed the rules were basically just for theater.

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

Ships were made for sinking;
Whiskey made for drinking;
If we were made of cellophane
We'd all get stinking drunk much faster!
I don’t care that much about not seeing ads. I care about downloading them at all, because they are a giant vector for malware. If an extension has to examine the file to tell if it’s an ad, then I don’t care, because the damage is already done.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh
https://www.thurrott.com/cloud/199686/google-retracts-proposal-that-would-have-hobbled-chrome-ad-blockers

Update on the ads thing in Chrome, hopefully Mozilla will abandon this too.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Well I'll be. I hope Firefox won't have it either, since this whole thing convinced me to abandon Chrome altogether and I prefer Firefox anyway.

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf

https://groups.google.com/a/chromium.org/forum/#!topic/chromium-extensions/WcZ42Iqon_M

Hmm. Google isn't saying at all that they are walking back on it. WebRequest isn't going to be fully removed in Manifest V3. The observational (non modifying) parts of WebRequest will stay, for now.

They then go on about how they will change Manifest V3 to support some extra features and a larger ruleset.

Google still fully plans to get rid of WebRequest at some point, and I bet Firefox will follow suit.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Nalin posted:

Hmm. Google isn't saying at all that they are walking back on it. WebRequest isn't going to be fully removed in Manifest V3. The observational (non modifying) parts of WebRequest will stay, for now.

They then go on about how they will change Manifest V3 to support some extra features and a larger ruleset.

Dynamic rules are the big thing that makes it a walk-back. That is what allows a blocker to make exceptions based on which site you're viewing, without which an ad-blocker is pretty useless.

Still has a little bit of boiling a frog feel to it.

WattsvilleBlues posted:

hopefully Mozilla will abandon this too.

I don't think mozilla has said anything official on it one way or the other. a moz programmer said on reddit it was better for performance, that's it.

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

Fuck the cowboys. Unf. Fuck em hard.

Wheany posted:

Yes, and Google's DRM, Widevine, has been broken.
Widevine L3 is broken, not L1. L3 only gets you 480p.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Gmail is being stupid. 90% of the time, I get this error:

Corrupted Content Error

The site at https://mail.google.com/mail/u/0/ has experienced a network protocol violation that cannot be repaired.

The page you are trying to view cannot be shown because an error in the data transmission was detected.

Please contact the website owners to inform them of this problem.

Searches say to clear cache and cookies, but that doesn't work. I use a bookmark of https://mail.google.com/ to visit. Any ideas?

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Kheldarn posted:

Corrupted Content Error

The site at https://mail.google.com/mail/u/0/ has experienced a network protocol violation that cannot be repaired.

The page you are trying to view cannot be shown because an error in the data transmission was detected.

Searches say to clear cache and cookies, but that doesn't work. I use a bookmark of https://mail.google.com/ to visit. Any ideas?

If it's a new issue, I'm having trouble with Google at the moment too. Hangouts flat out won't work. So it could be a temporary hiccup.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Kheldarn posted:

Corrupted Content Error

Does it happen in Safe Mode and/or a new, clean profile sans extensions?

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

How do I allow Firefox to show embedded Youtube videos on SA? Some play but some won't and I know it's some kind of a tracking thing but I can't figure out where to adjust it so they'll play on SA.

pairofdimes
May 20, 2001

blehhh

Kheldarn posted:

Corrupted Content Error

I started getting the same error occasionally, but with Reddit instead. Every time I've tried to do a packet capture it stops happening though, so I don't have any clues yet as to why. The error is so vague it doesn't really help.

TalkLittle
Jun 23, 2004

Sounds similar to an error I've been getting intermittently on SA for a few months. Just got it opening this thread in fact.

Network Protocol Error

An error occurred during a connection to forums.somethingawful.com.

The page you are trying to view cannot be shown because an error in the network protocol was detected.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

I've gotten a few of those errors too. Could it be adblock?

Stare-Out posted:

How do I allow Firefox to show embedded Youtube videos on SA? Some play but some won't and I know it's some kind of a tracking thing but I can't figure out where to adjust it so they'll play on SA.

I think this will do it: Click the shield and green padlock left of the URL, click "Turn Off Blocking For This Site".

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Ola posted:

I think this will do it: Click the shield and green padlock left of the URL, click "Turn Off Blocking For This Site".

I don't have the shield up there on SA and can't seem to make SA an exception anywhere. The Youtube videos just say something along the lines of "Video not available" when I try to play them on SA. Only Firefox has this problem.

E: I should say that as it seems the problem is mostly with clips from movies and music videos and such, I'd think it has something to do with embedding copyrighted material but everyone else in the thread seems to be able to watch the videos just fine.

Stare-Out fucked around with this message at 17:10 on Feb 19, 2019

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib
Just disable the tracking blocker manually by selecting "Custom" and unchecking both Trackers and Cookies to see if it's related.

Have you set any relevant settings in about:config? Also, try disabling all extensions. Could be some tracking filter list that's active in your adblocker of choice.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Yeah, tried all of those and no dice. I wouldn't know where to start in about:config, but I'm pretty sure I haven't changed anything in there related to this.

karoshi
Nov 4, 2008

"Can somebody mspaint eyes on the steaming packages? TIA" yeah well fuck you too buddy, this is the best you're gonna get. Is this even "work-safe"? Let's find out!
I'm coming back to firefox and have a problem with SA. When navigating to new unread posts it loses its position as embedded content loads. As images or tweets or whatevers load the first unread post disappears from view. Is there a fix? Or is it just another instance of this 19 year old bug? :v: https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=60307

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

karoshi posted:

I'm coming back to firefox and have a problem with SA. When navigating to new unread posts it loses its position as embedded content loads. As images or tweets or whatevers load the first unread post disappears from view. Is there a fix? Or is it just another instance of this 19 year old bug? :v: https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=60307

Embedded tweets load after the page loads by design. This fucks up anchor-based navigation for every browser.
There's also an option "Adjust the page position to the top of the requested post after the page loads" in your SA control panel that fires after images are loaded, but tweets still gently caress it up.
To get back to the unread post, select the address bar and hit enter.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Stare-Out posted:

I don't have the shield up there on SA and can't seem to make SA an exception anywhere. The Youtube videos just say something along the lines of "Video not available" when I try to play them on SA. Only Firefox has this problem.

E: I should say that as it seems the problem is mostly with clips from movies and music videos and such, I'd think it has something to do with embedding copyrighted material but everyone else in the thread seems to be able to watch the videos just fine.

I have this same problem, though I don't have embedding enabled so it's despite clicking through every time. I think it's just lovely copyright bs.

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf

karoshi posted:

Firefox 66 Beta supports scroll anchoring now. You can try the beta builds. Or you can install the SALR extension. It has an option to try to fix scroll positioning that may help.

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

Ola posted:

I've gotten a few of those errors too. Could it be adblock?
Nope, I got a few of those "error in the network protocol was detected" errors and I don't have any extensions installed. I haven't seen it for several months though, I assumed some update fixed it.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

I'm no longer getting network protocol errors, but now I'm getting some error 408s, request timeout, the server did not receive a complete request message etc.

karoshi
Nov 4, 2008

"Can somebody mspaint eyes on the steaming packages? TIA" yeah well fuck you too buddy, this is the best you're gonna get. Is this even "work-safe"? Let's find out!

Geemer posted:

Embedded tweets load after the page loads by design. This fucks up anchor-based navigation for every browser.
There's also an option "Adjust the page position to the top of the requested post after the page loads" in your SA control panel that fires after images are loaded, but tweets still gently caress it up.
To get back to the unread post, select the address bar and hit enter.

Nalin posted:

Firefox 66 Beta supports scroll anchoring now. You can try the beta builds. Or you can install the SALR extension. It has an option to try to fix scroll positioning that may help.

Thank you for your tips. Trip report after a few days: Control-L return: always works. Switched to the beta and it still does the thing wrongly. Maybe not so often?

SteelReserve
May 12, 2018

Ola posted:

I'm no longer getting network protocol errors, but now I'm getting some error 408s, request timeout, the server did not receive a complete request message etc.

I was getting some weird messages and behavior on my computer about a week ago, and I found the solution was to reinstall Windows 10. (I couldn't set Firefox as the default browser, and it was autoloading itself whenever I would log into my user account, among other issues with Windows.)

Apparently this OS gets unstable after almost a year.

Lambert posted:

It really doesn't, something else was going on.

You're probably right, but I couldn't figure out what, so I downloaded the latest ISO from Microsoft and reinstalled the whole thing.

Maybe I had a virus. Regardless, things are working fine now.

SteelReserve fucked around with this message at 14:03 on Feb 26, 2019

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib

SteelReserve posted:

It really doesn't, something else was going on.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
Has Firefox gotten rid of the "Bookmark All Tabs" option or is it just me?

I find I now have to shift-click them to select multiple tabs or right click on a tab, select Select All Tabs, then Bookmark Tabs.

I know it's just a couple extra steps for something I only do once a blue moon, but it's as irritating as only a trivial annoyance can be.

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

Mozilla got rid of it because the tab context menu was "too long" for their liking. It's the outcome of the 'close tabs' kerfuffle where they put those options in a submenu until literally every sane person yelled at them.

It's change for the sake of change and I'm fairly sure that it's entirely in bad faith.

FRINGE
May 23, 2003
title stolen for lf posting

SteelReserve posted:

This is not the case. Im not a big MS defender but that just isnt a thing.

Megillah Gorilla posted:

Has Firefox gotten rid of the
The Firefox people hate "users". Its the reason they are working to lose more year after year. They need to hire a new team of product managers (and probably devs) and fire the children who masturbate about changing buttons instead of doing anything to attract a larger userbase.

SteelReserve
May 12, 2018

FRINGE posted:

This is not the case. Im not a big MS defender but that just isnt a thing.

OK, I'll admit that the problem was probably on my end of things.

MS has improved things a lot since Windows Millenium.

However, I think Firefox (with Privacy Badger) is better than Internet Explorer and Edge. At least in Firefox I can disable autoplaying videos. Unlike with Chrome.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

FRINGE posted:

The Firefox people hate "users". Its the reason they are working to lose more year after year. They need to hire a new team of product managers (and probably devs) and fire the children who masturbate about changing buttons instead of doing anything to attract a larger userbase.

the entire point of all these changes is to "attract a larger userbase" because chrome does it that way and they have all the users now so that must be the reason right

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller

Truga posted:

the entire point of all these changes is to "attract a larger userbase" because chrome does it that way and they have all the users now so that must be the reason right

I feel like every sensible person knows that the average user isn't going to switch from Chrome unless something drastic happens. It's better to go after the power users that have positive connotations with FF

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

SteelReserve posted:

OK, I'll admit that the problem was probably on my end of things.

MS has improved things a lot since Windows Millenium.

However, I think Firefox (with Privacy Badger) is better than Internet Explorer and Edge. At least in Firefox I can disable autoplaying videos. Unlike with Chrome.

How do you disable auto play for videos?