Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

DONT THREAD ON ME posted:

alright going into ~4 hours of interviews with $JOB_I_REALLY_WANT. i have a decent shot imo but could go either way. nerves arent too bad but my palms are sweaty.

lol i hosed up at reading the schedule they sent me and i only had half the interviews today.

today was the technical portion (implement a set, plus some other simple stuff) which i'd done recently so i sailed through it with minor issues that i found and corrected. tomorrow is more soft skills stuff which i'm good at so feeling really good atm.

remembered how to write a for loop this time

i could be wrong but my guts telling me i'm gonna get it

DONT THREAD ON ME fucked around with this message at 22:10 on Feb 18, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
Its important to not have expectations

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

a lot of the interviews i've did that felt really easy and solidly in the bag ended up being a no, and vice versa. i guess the difficulty goes down when the interviewers realize it's going to be a no mid-interview and switch into let's get this guy outta the building pronto mode.

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

bob dobbs is dead posted:

yeah, i've been burned before, don't worry. even if i get an offer, it might not be the offer i need or want.

but i did well and i'm feeling good.

Acer Pilot
Feb 17, 2007
put the 'the' in therapist

:dukedog:

qhat posted:

a lot of the interviews i've did that felt really easy and solidly in the bag ended up being a no, and vice versa. i guess the difficulty goes down when the interviewers realize it's going to be a no mid-interview and switch into let's get this guy outta the building pronto mode.

those are always great

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

qhat posted:

yeah

interview suddenly shifts into easy mode = you blew it

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

bob dobbs is dead posted:

this is fun and easy to do when you've got less than three months of rent & food

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

graph posted:

this is fun and easy to do when you've got less than three months of rent & food

Practically the most important reason to stack the figgies when you can, yes

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
oh yeah: my interviewer was in the UK and I succeeded in not mentioning Brexit or saying "things must be pretty crazy over there!"

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

Being an American commenting on Brexit to a Brit would've been about the worst faux pas you could possibly make. Not least because the country is literally days away from collapsing.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
I laughed my rear end off with a customer whose dad was a provo, lol

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison

qhat posted:

Being an American commenting on Brexit to a Brit would've been about the worst faux pas you could possibly make. Not least because the country is literally days away from collapsing.

but enough about america :rimshot:

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

qhat posted:

lol i keep forgetting that this is about to happen

actually my next client is a uk-based bank i’m wondering what will happen

Fiedler
Jun 29, 2002

I, for one, welcome our new mouse overlords.

Rex-Goliath posted:

actually my next client is a uk-based bank i’m wondering what will happen

get the cash up front in us dollars

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

Fiedler posted:

get the cash up front in us dollars

they’ve already paid us the project is actually to assist them with paying us less

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

The funniest thing about Brexit is the services industry (i.e the people who mostly voted against Brexit) will probably be okay since being part of the customs union has exactly nothing to do with being able to sell services into Europe. I mean, maybe the passporting thing in the finance industry is an issue, but Switzerland doesn't have passporting either and I don't think anyone is stupid enough to argue that their banking industry has been significantly constrained as a result. The people it hurts most is the manufacturing industry (i.e the ones who mostly voted for Brexit) of which companies are already cancelling projects and moving to Amsterdam regardless of what happens in a month's time.

qhat fucked around with this message at 02:10 on Feb 19, 2019

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

what british manufacturing

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

qhat posted:

The funniest thing about Brexit is the services industry (i.e the people who mostly voted against Brexit) will probably be okay since being part of the customs union has exactly nothing to do with being able to sell services into Europe. I mean, maybe the passporting thing in the finance industry is an issue, but Switzerland doesn't have passporting either and I don't think anyone is stupid enough to argue that their banking industry has been significantly constrained as a result. The people it hurts most is the manufacturing industry (i.e the ones who mostly voted for Brexit) of which companies are already cancelling projects and moving to Amsterdam regardless of what happens in a month's time.
honda just announced theyll be shutting down a big factory in swindon (3500 jobs lost) in a couple of years since that factory can no longer export cars to europe without traiffs

the locals, who by and large voted for brexit, are stunned

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

yeah a lot of it is car manufacturing. nissan also cancelled their new SUV manufacturing here as a direct result of brexit.

AWWNAW
Dec 30, 2008

incredible self own by the British but, surely this is a good thing for nearly everyone else?

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

AWWNAW posted:

incredible self own by the British but, surely this is a good thing for nearly everyone else?

youd think brexit and trump would both serve as giant smoldering warning signs to the rest of the world but everyone continues to do incredibly stupid things at an accelerating rate

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

edit: maybe not a great post lol

qhat fucked around with this message at 02:55 on Feb 19, 2019

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

uncurable mlady posted:

youd think brexit and trump would both serve as giant smoldering warning signs to the rest of the world but everyone continues to do incredibly stupid things at an accelerating rate

canada is next i'm sure of it

AWWNAW
Dec 30, 2008

qhat posted:

edit: maybe not a great post lol
:justpost:
:britain::gop::trumppop::itwaspoo:

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

qhat posted:

no, the faux pas was millions of people voting to slit their own throats

there's no burden of civility on us to stop laughing at you, y'all hosed up hilariously bad and parliament is crippled by some combination of cupidity and cynicism

it's uproariously funny and i enjoy visiting london and having a perpetual 33% off sale everywhere i go

edit: here in a couple years it'll probably be a perpetual 50% sale, so i guess there's that silver lining for me, who won't be suffering from medicine shortages or rationing of staple goods

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

AWWNAW posted:

it's not really a good thing for anyone except tourists

who stands to benefit? certainly not europe

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

no, the faux pas was millions of people voting to slit their own throats

there's no burden of civility on us to stop laughing at you, y'all hosed up hilariously bad and parliament is crippled by some combination of cupidity and cynicism

it's uproariously funny and i enjoy visiting london and having a perpetual 33% off sale everywhere i go

edit: here in a couple years it'll probably be a perpetual 50% sale, so i guess there's that silver lining for me, who won't be suffering from medicine shortages or rationing of staple goods

A lot of people still voted strongly to remain, there's pretty much no in-between, and there's nothing they can do about it at this point. Millions of people are going to be significantly worse off because of a small majority of bigots who can't see the forest for the trees. Thankfully though I'm now part of a country that has a currency that will be worth more than the material it's printed on in a couple of months.

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

qhat posted:

A lot of people still voted strongly to remain

ain't democracy great

honestly the whole idea of the referendum was a travesty. cameron was a coward who couldn't close the gaps in his own party so he tossed a nonsense idea with no attached policy to the public, assuming he would win by the sheer power of his personal brand i guess

way to go you colossal peckerwood

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

ain't democracy great

honestly the whole idea of the referendum was a travesty. cameron was a coward who couldn't close the gaps in his own party so he tossed a nonsense idea with no attached policy to the public, assuming he would win by the sheer power of his personal brand i guess

way to go you colossal peckerwood

Pretty much this is the current conservative strategy, gamble the entire future of the country to score political points. See also: Scottish Independence referendum, and Theresa May calling a general election as a power grab and then losing her majority in Parliament.

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
what's the word for when you experience both schadenfreude and sympathy at the same time? empathetic dissonance? well that's how i feel about brexit

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

qhat posted:

Pretty much this is the current conservative strategy, gamble the entire future of the country to score political points. See also: Scottish Independence referendum, and Theresa May calling a general election as a power grab and then losing her majority in Parliament.

if she had any interest at all in serving the populace, she would resign

her deal can never pass as long as she relies on DUP for C+S. inking a C+S agreement with DUP was tantamount to suicide. by the time it was done, she and her cabinet should have fully known about the backstop and related matters

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

what's the word for when you experience both schadenfreude and sympathy at the same time? empathetic dissonance? well that's how i feel about brexit

i'm 100% schadenfreude here

it's not the referendum. the referendum was a crock of poo poo, and there was no way voters had any idea

no, it's the loving regular elections. voters put tories in power three times, twice after the exercise of article 50. that's plainly stupid enough for me to laugh rather than empathise

just watch theresa may try to discuss anything in an off the cuff interview and ask yourself whether you would vote the lizard people into power again

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

Honestly the conservatives came to power 9 years ago with the promise of stabilizing a post recession Britain, and since then we've seen no less than 3 separate and completely avoidable catastrophes in the British economy. How anyone still votes Tory is totally beyond me.

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

i'm 100% schadenfreude here

it's not the referendum. the referendum was a crock of poo poo, and there was no way voters had any idea

no, it's the loving regular elections. voters put tories in power three times, twice after the exercise of article 50. that's plainly stupid enough for me to laugh rather than empathise

just watch theresa may try to discuss anything in an off the cuff interview and ask yourself whether you would vote the lizard people into power again

i mean i've witnessed the complete failure of the process and media here in the US. it's easy to feel sympathy for the non-idiots. the idiots, well, it's complicated.

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

don't worry brits, donald trump will most likely win reelection so you can laugh at us while burning pounds in giant novelty oil drums for warmth

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

qhat posted:

Honestly the conservatives came to power 9 years ago with the promise of stabilizing a post recession Britain, and since then we've seen no less than 3 separate and completely avoidable catastrophes in the British economy. How anyone still votes Tory is totally beyond me.

i assume it has something to do with rupert murdoch

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

i mean i've witnessed the complete failure of the process and media here in the US. it's easy to feel sympathy for the non-idiots. the idiots, well, it's complicated.

i pity the non-idiots, which is not the same as empathy

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

uncurable mlady posted:

don't worry brits, donald trump will most likely win reelection so you can laugh at us while burning pounds in giant novelty oil drums for warmth

he would have to still be outside of prison to win re-election

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

he would have to still be outside of prison to win re-election

donald trump might resign after his hilarious crime katamari finally spins out of control and crashes through the white house, but he will never see a day in prison.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
im really excited to see the field of horror that will be the democrat primary