Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GET INTO DA CHOPPA
Nov 22, 2007
D:
After staying in my projects pile for far too long, I finally finished Guilliman, and boy is he a game changer. My friend's lost most of his games recently, so he decided to bring a list with 2 knights.
With Roboutte, I brought 3 AC Predators and 3 Missile Launcher/Las Dreads. To force him to split his focus, and to have an answer for hordes, I added a Stormraven Gunship and loaded it with an Ironclad Dreadnought.

Due to some unlucky rolls on his part, my auto cannons blew up his knight round 1. It exploded, dealing 6 wounds to his other knight, which was mopped up by the shooty Dreadnoughts. He conceded turn 2.
Bringing a primarch feels both dirty and good at the same time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spacegoat
Dec 23, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Nap Ghost

PierreTheMime posted:

Not that it matters since you can set up anywhere up to 3” away from enemy models, but how could they move after that? Arriving from Cult Ambush counts as the units movement for the turn, the same as any other reserve mechanic.

The 1CP Rusted Claw strategem:

Use this Strategem before a Rusted Claw Biker unit from your army shoots in your Shooting phase. Until the end of the phase, add 1 to hit and wound rolls made for attacks with that unit's Grenade weapons. After this unit has resolved all of its shooting attacks this phase, it can immediately make a move as if it were your Movement phase, but cannot charge this turn.

spacegoat fucked around with this message at 02:32 on Feb 19, 2019

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Hero of hormagaunts everywhere!
Buglord

spacegoat posted:

The 1CP Rusted Claw strategem:

Use this Strategem before a Rusted Claw Biker unit from your army shoots in your Shooting phase. Until the end of the phase, add 1 to hit and wound rolls made for attacks with that unit's Grenade weapons. After this unit has resolved all of its shooting attacks this phase, it can immediately make a move as if it were your Movement phase, but cannot charge this turn.

Ah, gotcha. I somehow forgot that strat existed. :/

vvv
Well there you go.

PierreTheMime fucked around with this message at 03:34 on Feb 19, 2019

EvilBeard
Apr 24, 2003

Big Q's House of Pancakes

Fun Shoe

PierreTheMime posted:

Ah, gotcha. I somehow forgot that strat existed. :/

I thought the rule prevented a model that arrived on the battlefield from moving at all in any way that wasn't a charge.

EvilBeard fucked around with this message at 03:32 on Feb 19, 2019

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

EvilBeard posted:

I thought the rule prevented a model that arrived on the battlefield from moving at all in any way that wasn't a charge.

EDIT: Ah, I see. The FAQ would probably apply here.

spacegoat
Dec 23, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Nap Ghost
Welp, I'd have never thought to look up that exception. Good thing I didn't buy that extra box of Jackals yet.

What makes this funnier is that there's a 3CP strategem in the GSC book that lets you move D6" when arriving from Ambush "even if it has arrived as reinforcements".

EvilBeard
Apr 24, 2003

Fun Shoe

spacegoat posted:

Welp, I'd have never thought to look up that exception. Good thing I didn't buy that extra box of Jackals yet.

What makes this funnier is that there's a 3CP strategem in the GSC book that lets you move D6" when arriving from Ambush "even if it has arrived as reinforcements".

Well, that would work as written, hence why it's so expensive CP-wise. The other stratagems don't specifically include arriving as reinforcements.

Maneck
Sep 11, 2011

spacegoat posted:

A Perfect Ambush works. Its has specific wording that explicitly overrides the general rule against moving after arriving as reinforcements. All of the examples in the FAQ allowed movement in unconventional ways, but did not include text overriding the reinforcement movement prohibition.

Maneck fucked around with this message at 04:49 on Feb 19, 2019

spacegoat
Dec 23, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Nap Ghost
I agree, but the FAQ does say "for any other reason", and the example calls out strategems explicitly.

I'm not saying I'd try and stop anyone playing it that way, but that a strategem is an exception because it says it is when the FAQ says that strategems are absolutely not an exception is :psyduck: rules writing to me.

Edit: In any event 78pts to smuggle in 5 demo charges and take up a FA slot in a brigade is pretty good. The rest of the strat is decent, and not being able to move just means they die over here instead of over there next turn.

spacegoat fucked around with this message at 04:56 on Feb 19, 2019

EvilBeard
Apr 24, 2003

Fun Shoe

spacegoat posted:

I agree, but the FAQ does say "for any other reason", and the example calls out strategems explicitly.

I'm not saying I'd try and stop anyone playing it that way, but that a strategem is an exception because it says it is when the FAQ says that strategems are absolutely not an exception is :psyduck: rules writing to me.

The say in the FAQ that they've factored the rule changes into the GSC codex being released. The reason the stratagem has the specific wording is to be the one exception to the rule.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

spacegoat posted:

Edit: In any event 78pts to smuggle in 5 demo charges and take up a FA slot in a brigade is pretty good. The rest of the strat is decent, and not being able to move just means they die over here instead of over there next turn.

The most specific rule trumps in conflicts. A Perfect Ambush trumps the FAQ because it explicitly says even after reinforcements. None of the other methods include that clause and are limited by the FAQ.

Proletariat Beowulf
Jan 7, 2007
I wish meat screamed as I ate it.

muggins posted:

GSC bros question: I am thinking about having three different Jackal units in my 2000 pt list with an Alphus leading them around. She points at a vehicle or hard target, and they shoot. I am thinking about giving them mining lasers instead of heavy flamers. This would mesh with using Rusted Claw as I'm intending to do, so they can move and still hit on a 3+ vs the target I spotted.

Do you think its worth it? Otherwise with heavy flamers they're basically just suicide bombers. I do plan on giving the other guys demolition charges for last minute charges, but I kinda like the mining laser idea. I'd also have ridgerunners shooting heavy mining lasers. Mortar teams in support for chaff clearing.

Oof, Wolfquad has to be the 5th bike in a group. I think it’s a decent plan, but involves shitloads of painting bikers: 3 mobile Mining Lasers hitting on 3s should terrify opponents because the rest of the squad will be kitted out to handle light infantry.

Corollary: the BROOD BROTHERS rules specify that we can take Militarum Tempestus units—why don’t we just take some grav-chute melta motherfuckers to drop in on enemy armor?

Chainclaw
Feb 14, 2009

Some color shift paint showed up in the mail today, so I painted up some synthwave inspired Necrons. I'm still trying to figure out how I want to do the base. I like the idea of laser cut circuits, but I'm not sure what color acrylic I want to do it on.

This paint was really hard to work with, it is super runny, and really lets the base color through. The main color of both of these necrons is the same, but I did one on top of the grey primer, and the other on top of abaddon black. They didn't come out as well as I wanted, but the color shifting effect is so cool in person, it makes up for a lot of the lack of other details.

I think for the 3 immortals, I might try and include some bright pink highlights. I'm experimenting with the pink here. It only has 2 coats so far, and feels like it needs more.

Chainclaw fucked around with this message at 06:57 on Feb 19, 2019

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through
Melta is generally overpriced and not very effective.

Cainer
May 8, 2008

MasterSlowPoke posted:

Melta is generally overpriced and not very effective.

I'm kinda hoping that some day it get's bumped to 9+str or +1 to wound vs vehicles or something, just make it less of a 50 50 shot when using it against high toughness targets. Like the Knight Errant's mega melta is pretty sweet because it's got 9str and can wound other knights with it pretty reliably. That thing is a holy terror if you roll well enough for number of shots.

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

I'll Fetch My Sarcasm Robes

Chainclaw posted:

Some color shift paint showed up in the mail today, so I painted up some synthwave inspired Necrons. I'm still trying to figure out how I want to do the base. I like the idea of laser cut circuits, but I'm not sure what color acrylic I want to do it on.

This paint was really hard to work with, it is super runny, and really lets the base color through. The main color of both of these necrons is the same, but I did one on top of the grey primer, and the other on top of abaddon black. They didn't come out as well as I wanted, but the color shifting effect is so cool in person, it makes up for a lot of the lack of other details.

Try applying it over a silver or other metallic base coat. I'm not sure which paints you're using but the ones I've read about suggest painting them over metallics for the best effect.

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

What a fascinatingly unusual cock. Now, allow me to show you my collection...
if you play gsc and dont want to kill the knights with a bunch of hammer weilding bug-sloth from the goonies idk what to say

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Groetgaffel: Turns out you can get Severina from elsewhere other than the GW store: https://www.webhallen.com/se/product/297705-Astra-Militarum-Severina-Raine
Already pre-ordered one. :D

Groetgaffel
Oct 30, 2011

Groetgaffel smacked the living shit out of himself doing 297 points of damage.

Cooked Auto posted:

Groetgaffel: Turns out you can get Severina from elsewhere other than the GW store: https://www.webhallen.com/se/product/297705-Astra-Militarum-Severina-Raine
Already pre-ordered one. :D

Ooh, thanks for the heads up!

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Cainer posted:

I'm kinda hoping that some day it get's bumped to 9+str or +1 to wound vs vehicles or something, just make it less of a 50 50 shot when using it against high toughness targets. Like the Knight Errant's mega melta is pretty sweet because it's got 9str and can wound other knights with it pretty reliably. That thing is a holy terror if you roll well enough for number of shots.

I would experiment with a flat 2+ to wound, make the damage flat, and double damage at half range. Obviously this would require a points balance but IMO melta weapons should be terrifying.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Groetgaffel posted:

Ooh, thanks for the heads up!

No problem. :)
Found it on a whim when I wanted to see if they had added the Edgerunner or not. (Which they haven't in this case.)

Naramyth
Jan 22, 2009

Australia cares about cunts. Including this one.
My hot take re: melta :v: is most war gear could be free and it would not significantly impact the game.

Maneck
Sep 11, 2011

Naramyth posted:

My hot take re: melta :v: is most war gear could be free and it would not significantly impact the game.

Good point, and it could further fairly be argued that is intentional on GW's part - that it's part of a push to a datacard (Power Level) based system rather than a point based system.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
GW seems hell bent on punching themselves in the dick over Power Level.

DO IT TO IT
Mar 3, 2008

I know "mon" means man, but I don't think "Och" means anything.

Does ebay still do 15% off codes from time to time? I haven't seen one in a while, but I'd like to wait for one before I pick up some Hive Guard.

For_Great_Justice
Apr 21, 2010

JUST CAN'T SHUT THE FUCK UP ABOUT HOW MUCH I HATE GAMES WORKSHOP!
It could be a left over from the dark days when they wanted to be minutures first games second but power level seems like their long term focus. That could change since casual to competative seems to outright reject it for 40k even is it works to some degree in AoS with preset unit sizes.

Master Twig
Oct 25, 2007

I want to branch out and I'm going to stick with it.

Maneck posted:

Good point, and it could further fairly be argued that is intentional on GW's part - that it's part of a push to a datacard (Power Level) based system rather than a point based system.

Now if only they had adjusted power levels when they adjusted points. As an example, a broodlord should be 5 or 6 pl, not 8.

Naramyth
Jan 22, 2009

Australia cares about cunts. Including this one.

Master Twig posted:

Now if only they had adjusted power levels when they adjusted points. As an example, a broodlord should be 5 or 6 pl, not 8.

They should probably keep points. It allows a much finer adjustment with another whole number. Or they take PLx10 and that gives them some ability to fine tune between whole number PLs

Harvey Mantaco
Mar 6, 2007

Someone please help me find my keys =(
I'm playing against a guy who just bought a billion of the hellblaster guys and the primarch for ultra marines. I got all the deathguard and a chaos daemons. Is there a good strategy here to tackle the impending blob of death?

eSportseXpert
Jun 24, 2005

Stupid fucking white man.

Clawtopsy posted:

if you play gsc and dont want to kill the knights with a bunch of hammer weilding bug-sloth from the goonies idk what to say

Because knights getting chumped by any part of an insurgent army using mining tools is hilarious, no need to limit yourself.

Master Twig
Oct 25, 2007

I want to branch out and I'm going to stick with it.

Naramyth posted:

They should probably keep points. It allows a much finer adjustment with another whole number. Or they take PLx10 and that gives them some ability to fine tune between whole number PLs

For sure. I like the idea of power level, but it causes a lot of headaches. For example, I'm entering the friendly at Midwest Conquest. They decided to go with power level. I decided I was going to bring my skaaven army.

I had made a 2,000 point list, but also a 100 pl list. The pl list comes to about 1700 points. Now, it's a friendly, so whatever. (My 2,000 point list is pretty bad as is)

But for example, I like to run castellan robots in units of 3. That's what I have modeled. Now I have to drop one because pl only allows that they be bought in groups of 2. My infiltrator unit was 7 dudes. Now it has to be 5 or 10. I have a dunecrawler conversion i can't bring now due to lack of points. Also, been hard to get to exactly 100. I can only muster 99 or 98.

And you know someone will show up with a list that exploits the free gear in pl to run a really strong list. I mean, it's not that big of a deal, just frustrating when points are so much better. And not like anyone there will want PL because they think points are too complicated.

Booley
Apr 25, 2010
I CAN BARELY MAKE IT A WEEK WITHOUT ACTING LIKE AN ASSHOLE
Grimey Drawer

Master Twig posted:

For sure. I like the idea of power level, but it causes a lot of headaches. For example, I'm entering the friendly at Midwest Conquest. They decided to go with power level. I decided I was going to bring my skaaven army.

I had made a 2,000 point list, but also a 100 pl list. The pl list comes to about 1700 points. Now, it's a friendly, so whatever. (My 2,000 point list is pretty bad as is)

But for example, I like to run castellan robots in units of 3. That's what I have modeled. Now I have to drop one because pl only allows that they be bought in groups of 2. My infiltrator unit was 7 dudes. Now it has to be 5 or 10. I have a dunecrawler conversion i can't bring now due to lack of points. Also, been hard to get to exactly 100. I can only muster 99 or 98.

And you know someone will show up with a list that exploits the free gear in pl to run a really strong list. I mean, it's not that big of a deal, just frustrating when points are so much better. And not like anyone there will want PL because they think points are too complicated.

PL lets you bring numbers in between. Its dumb to do so, but you can do it.

Mef989
Feb 6, 2007

Harvey Mantaco posted:

I'm playing against a guy who just bought a billion of the hellblaster guys and the primarch for ultra marines. I got all the deathguard and a chaos daemons. Is there a good strategy here to tackle the impending blob of death?

Stay more than 36" away and shoot him. I play Azrael castle and it will murder you if you stand in my kill zone. However, it's slow and easy to kite.

Bring plagueburst crawlers and other nasties that can stay away from him while still shooting. Play the objective and keep away.

Maneck
Sep 11, 2011

Master Twig posted:

Agreed on just about all of that. Conceptually, it's easy to see the allure of Power Levels as compared to points. It's simpler and forces standardization, both of which presumably lower barriers to entry into the hobby. As instituted in 40k 8th, something is decidedly off. GW may have realized late in the development cycle, which would explain the all important points values being organizationally divorced from the rules.

With respect to your last comment, I'd use a different emphasis. It's not so much that points are too complicated, but rather about PL being relatively less complicated than points. For players anyway. For GW the reduced granularity makes PL hard to get right, and in 8th they weren't up to the task and (thankfully) recognized that.

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!

Harvey Mantaco posted:

Clog him up with lower cost models like Poxwalkers. Have fun killing my 6 point models (that have Disgustingly Resilient) with your 33 point models.

dexefiend fucked around with this message at 17:07 on Feb 19, 2019

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

For_Great_Justice posted:

It could be a left over from the dark days when they wanted to be minutures first games second but power level seems like their long term focus. That could change since casual to competative seems to outright reject it for 40k even is it works to some degree in AoS with preset unit sizes.

Honestly i feel its quite the opposite. They keep adjusting points as tourneys dictate but other than index -> codex power levels dont really change.

Power levels used to be roughly 1 PL = 20 pts but as points have, in general, decreased in cost you can field more for 2000 pts than you could when 8th launched, but with 100 PL its remained pretty static.

GW seems to be ignoring power level if anything.

RagnarokAngel fucked around with this message at 17:13 on Feb 19, 2019

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Maneck posted:

Agreed on just about all of that. Conceptually, it's easy to see the allure of Power Levels as compared to points. It's simpler and forces standardization, both of which presumably lower barriers to entry into the hobby. As instituted in 40k 8th, something is decidedly off. GW may have realized late in the development cycle, which would explain the all important points values being organizationally divorced from the rules.

With respect to your last comment, I'd use a different emphasis. It's not so much that points are too complicated, but rather about PL being relatively less complicated than points. For players anyway. For GW the reduced granularity makes PL hard to get right, and in 8th they weren't up to the task and (thankfully) recognized that.

Exactly. There's a reason GW constantly balanced points and (to my knowledge) hasn't significantly tweaked PL. The granularity of points makes it much more viable for the game developers to gently nudge things and precisely determine the value of a particular model or unit. The imprecision of PL, while simpler, is much easier to exploit. It absolutely encourages min/maxing because there's no point in doing so otherwise. Why would my Intercessor sergeant carry a chainsword when a power fist is free? Those 9 points are worth 0.45% of a 2000 point army, but it definitely doesn't cost half a point out of a 100 PL force.

At face value PL makes sense in a casual setting, but when you look closer even then it falls apart. If you're already looking for balance then points have already established themselves as a superior option, and if you're not looking for balance then you're probably focusing on an open play style of game with a more narrative element.

Giant Isopod
Jan 30, 2010

Bathynomus giganteus
Yams Fan

Chainclaw posted:

I think for the 3 immortals, I might try and include some bright pink highlights. I'm experimenting with the pink here. It only has 2 coats so far, and feels like it needs more.

Heya, I've been experimenting with color shifting paint on necrons as well. It's pretty hard to get it to work properly without a wide, flat surface - I got it to look pretty good on a wraith, but wasn't happy with how it was looking on the base skeleton body.

I found that by far the best results came from a very glossy black undercoat - I had good success with black primer + gloss, and gloss primer, but the gloss primer seemed to obscure detail a little much. The gloss part is really important for making it shine properly

I also chose pink highlights!

Warriors:

All in all, I'm not sure if I am happy with it, but I definitely will keep experimenting on the larger pieces.

Harvey Mantaco
Mar 6, 2007

Someone please help me find my keys =(

dexefiend posted:

Clog him up with lower cost models like Poxwalkers. Have fun killing my 6 point models (that have Disgustingly Resilient) with your 33 point models.

Yeah, i'm afraid of how quick they'd be chewed through. Would plaguebearers be better with the 5 up save (that can be buffed to 4 up) before DG even kicks in?

I could always take 90 pb and 60 pw, lol.

But that would be stupid. Probably.

*makes new battlescribe army*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NovemberMike
Dec 28, 2008

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Exactly. There's a reason GW constantly balanced points and (to my knowledge) hasn't significantly tweaked PL. The granularity of points makes it much more viable for the game developers to gently nudge things and precisely determine the value of a particular model or unit. The imprecision of PL, while simpler, is much easier to exploit. It absolutely encourages min/maxing because there's no point in doing so otherwise. Why would my Intercessor sergeant carry a chainsword when a power fist is free? Those 9 points are worth 0.45% of a 2000 point army, but it definitely doesn't cost half a point out of a 100 PL force.

At face value PL makes sense in a casual setting, but when you look closer even then it falls apart. If you're already looking for balance then points have already established themselves as a superior option, and if you're not looking for balance then you're probably focusing on an open play style of game with a more narrative element.

PL would make more sense if it let you change options between games. I don't play AoS but it looked like they let you do that? The only problem is that 40k has too many individual options for that in most cases.