Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

chaosapiant posted:

Not really? So far you can't go back go Gen 1 on the VC, but you can move Pokermans around between XY/ORAS/USUM. That said, I haven't tried to move an alolan pokermate back, but the bank lets you swap them around without issue. Has anyone actually tried moving the alola breeds back to XY/ORAS?

You can’t move new mons to older gens but you can trade older gen mons back and forth freely. I wouldn’t be surprised if they disallow both in the new system

e: maybe I’m wrong but I thought I transferred some S/M guys to my OR game

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Dehry posted:

Once a Pokemon is dropped into (Ultra) Sun/Moon the border around it changes and can no longer be sent to XYORAS games.

Ah, ok. I hadn't tried it but that sucks. Is there a limit on how many Pokemons you can store in each game? Can I keep dedicating the newer games to being my Pokémon storage depot if I'm an old man whose afraid to leave his 'mons "in the cloud?"

mycelia
Apr 28, 2013

POWERFUL FUNGAL LORD

chaosapiant posted:

Ah, ok. I hadn't tried it but that sucks. Is there a limit on how many Pokemons you can store in each game? Can I keep dedicating the newer games to being my Pokémon storage depot if I'm an old man whose afraid to leave his 'mons "in the cloud?"

Eventually yes, but it's a pretty high limit -- 32 boxes x 30 Pokemon per box, so 960 all up. Enough for a living dex plus a little more.

THE FUCKING MOON
Jan 19, 2008

chaosapiant posted:

That happened to me. I lost everything I had transferred from as far back as original sapphire because I forgot to renew. I'll sign up for the bank again as soon as there's confirmation that Let's Go is getting support when Gen 8 drops.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

mycelia posted:

Eventually yes, but it's a pretty high limit -- 32 boxes x 30 Pokemon per box, so 960 all up. Enough for a living dex plus a little more.

How are most people storing their living dex's? Just dumping their collection into whatever the newest game is? Or do some of you use the bank to actually store things outside of transfers?

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I like how in Let's Go there's just one big fuckin box.

I say let a person organize this into other boxes if they want but you can always find any of your mons in the one big box

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Pokémon should have an "export to CSV file" option so I can email myself the CSV, then import into SQL and use SQL commands to query and organize my pretties.

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

chaosapiant posted:

How are most people storing their living dex's? Just dumping their collection into whatever the newest game is? Or do some of you use the bank to actually store things outside of transfers?

I have a group of boxes in Bank named "Living Dex" where I went to the trouble of naming each box "1-30", "31-60", ...
And each Pokemon is sorted into the boxes and ordered by national dex number. It took loving forever the first time but maintaining it is not too difficult now, since it's append-only.

Since I recently put CFW on my 3ds I'm considering using the fact I can edit saves back even to Gen III to give each game I own a semi-legal living dex based off of the current one I have in Bank.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Nth Doctor posted:

I have a group of boxes in Bank named "Living Dex" where I went to the trouble of naming each box "1-30", "31-60", ...
And each Pokemon is sorted into the boxes and ordered by national dex number. It took loving forever the first time but maintaining it is not too difficult now, since it's append-only.

Since I recently put CFW on my 3ds I'm considering using the fact I can edit saves back even to Gen III to give each game I own a semi-legal living dex based off of the current one I have in Bank.

I'm really curious how long this took you to setup initially. This sounds exhausting.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

chaosapiant posted:

Pokémon should have an "export to CSV file" option so I can email myself the CSV, then import into SQL and use SQL commands to query and organize my pretties.

They should just let you write sql in the game to do this, but accidentally leave in SQL injection backdoor so you can trick the game to select * from * into your box

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

AlBorlantern Corps posted:

They should just let you write sql in the game to do this, but accidentally leave in SQL injection backdoor so you can trick the game to select * from * into your box

I don't want to watch my DS catch fire.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
The only Pokemon I need is a Jigglypuff painstakingly brought up from Fire Red that knows Seismic Toss.

Zuzie
Jun 30, 2005

I got this for a Ratatta on GTS.

Iron Crowned posted:

The only Pokemon I need is a Jigglypuff painstakingly brought up from Fire Red that knows Seismic Toss.

Same but a Clefairy from Leaf Green that knows Softboiled.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

can't live without my gen 3 nyc event chansey with wish

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
What about No guard fissure Machamp?

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
what about Hitmontop that sucks its own dick

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

You're thinking of Hitmondick. You have to evolve when its special defense and special attack are both 69

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

Kurieg posted:

What about No guard fissure Machamp?

hasn't it been proven that's not possible since a machamp imported from gen 1 is going to be automatically assigned the basic ability and not no guard?

or am i thinking of something else

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

I was just watching some YouTube videos of Lets Go Pikavee, and it looks like the classic turn based battlers are still there. I thought it had the same quick-time style mini game of fighting that Pokémon Go had? Is this more a "classic" Pokémon game than I thought?

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

chaosapiant posted:

I was just watching some YouTube videos of Lets Go Pikavee, and it looks like the classic turn based battlers are still there. I thought it had the same quick-time style mini game of fighting that Pokémon Go had? Is this more a "classic" Pokémon game than I thought?

It's a normal Pokemon game (a remake of Yellow to be exact), the only thing that's different is it uses Go's method for wild Pokemon encounters.

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013

chaosapiant posted:

Store the whole living dex in bank, then when you start a new game you can dump the whole thing into your PC to unlock them in the game. Then transfer back to bank.

Bank is guaranteed to be forward compatible so you should store any Pokemon you want to keep for a long time there.

Zuzie
Jun 30, 2005

I got this for a Ratatta on GTS.

I find it remarkable that it's possible to have and use Pokémon that were generated in November of 2002 at the earliest. Old enough to get a driver's license and older then Pokémon's main demographic.

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

It's super effective!

Zuzie posted:

Same but a Clefairy from Leaf Green that knows Softboiled.

I could theoretically do this, if'n you're serious.

E:

Iron Crowned posted:

This, too, if you're okay with Leaf Green.

Nth Doctor fucked around with this message at 02:40 on Feb 19, 2019

Aristide
Sep 2, 2011

Mysterious Cat Country

The greatest tragedy was the inablity to transfer pokemon from Gen 1+2 up to Gen 3. All those poor pokes lost to dead batteries... RIP No Guard Fissure Machamp :'(

Note Block
May 14, 2007

nothing could fit so perfectly inside

Fun Shoe

watchoutitsabear posted:

I'm so sorry, friend.

I caught an extra shiny Cubone while chaining last night. Actually, I caught 3 extra while collecting Cubone candy for the first. Probability is wild. One is promised to a friend, and one was also caught after midnight and has a lovely Brave nature.

Anyway! I have an extra shiny Adamant Cubone (male), if anyone wants to give a lime green pal a good home.

I finally, finally caught my shiny Adamant Rhyhorn so now I have a spare shiny Rash Rhyhorn (and a spare shiny Sassy Scyther) if anyone is interested.

On another note, later in the day after breaking my chain, while Adamant was still turned on (as I don't know how to actually turn off the fortune teller's thingy) I ran into this au naturale beauty:.

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe
I'm looking into getting a copy of HeartGold. In-person stores have told me it's hard to find and are charging fifty or sixty bucks for its generation mates SoulSilver or Platinum. But carts for it seem readily obtainable on eBay for around fifteen bucks. Can I trust these online sellers? Has anyone else had an experience getting the 4th generation DS games online or seeking them out otherwise?

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

SuperKlaus posted:

I'm looking into getting a copy of HeartGold. In-person stores have told me it's hard to find and are charging fifty or sixty bucks for its generation mates SoulSilver or Platinum. But carts for it seem readily obtainable on eBay for around fifteen bucks. Can I trust these online sellers? Has anyone else had an experience getting the 4th generation DS games online or seeking them out otherwise?

If it’s just a cart, it’s probably pirated. It’ll probably work, if you don’t care about that.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

chaosapiant posted:

Its a mostly normal pokemon game. Mechanically the big changes are

1) You don't battle wild pokemon, you do a go-style catching minigame. The only exceptions are legendaries and some storyline fights (like Snorlax) which you need to beat before the minigame.

2) Pokemon don't have abilities or hold items.

3) Theres no breeding or EVs. IVs and natures work as normal

4) to replace EVs they have a candy system where you mulch your extra pokemon like in Go. You can get up to +200 in every stat for any pokemon.

5) Exp share is permanently on and they changed the formula so that you get way less from trainer battles and way more from catching pokemon.

6) Pokemon are visible and wander on the screen

7) you are forced to use a single joycon and do motion controls to catch if you play on the TV. Playing in tablet mode lets you play with both joycons and ignore the motion controls

8) you can access your box at any time and swap out your dudes.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

As a Pokemon player, I've only beaten Y and Alpha Sapphire and am about 20 hours into Ultra Moon. However i'm not a competitive player or play multiplayer and haven't really done any farming in either game; just straight through the storyline. My point is despite 100 hours across 3 games, i'm a newb. Should I be paying close attention to movesets as I level up my dudes, or is anything ok because I can breed/raise specific stuff later as I learn what's what? Like, is there any way to gently caress myself?

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

It's super effective!

chaosapiant posted:

As a Pokemon player, I've only beaten Y and Alpha Sapphire and am about 20 hours into Ultra Moon. However i'm not a competitive player or play multiplayer and haven't really done any farming in either game; just straight through the storyline. My point is despite 100 hours across 3 games, i'm a newb. Should I be paying close attention to movesets as I level up my dudes, or is anything ok because I can breed/raise specific stuff later as I learn what's what? Like, is there any way to gently caress myself?

Nah friend, I play each gen and never really think too deeply about movesets and poo poo when I play a gen for the first time. First and foremost, Pokemon is a game intended for children. There isn't really any way to gently caress yourself over irrevocably.

Lately I've been giving some thought to my teams and move coverages, but that's only because I've been going with specific gimmicks / concepts to keep the story interesting for me as I play through Gen VII for the fourth time.

My run of Ultra Moon, for example, I decided I was a washout from Team Skull and only used pokemon that were used by members of the team or their succeeding evos. For Ultra Sun, I had Saoirse the singing Primarina with multiple voice-centric moves, and her team of five backup dancers who all had at least one move with "Dance" in the title.

In both games, I restricted myself to pokemon I had never ever used before.

Even with weird constraints like that, it wasn't really any problem to mow through the games without a second thought.

E:

chaosapiant posted:

I'm really curious how long this took you to setup initially. This sounds exhausting.

It took me a couple of nights where I threw on a movie, sat down with a beer or three, and half paid attention to the film while I sorted through my dudes.

E2:
This is y'alls reminder that the February 2019 international challenge registration is almost up. Register by Thursday 2/21/2019 23:59 UTC and then battle at least 3 times between Friday 2/22/2019 00:00 UTC and Sunday, February 24, 2019, at 23:59 UTC to eventually get a code for a shiny Tapu Bulu.

Sign up details are in the link and require online accounts at 3ds.pokemon-gl.com among other steps.

Nth Doctor fucked around with this message at 07:02 on Feb 19, 2019

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
All I want is an auto-sort for the PC boxes

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

YggiDee posted:

All I want is an auto-sort for the PC boxes

This, but also for Poké-Bank. Let me at least sort by type so I don’t have to scour my boxes for a quick swap.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

chaosapiant posted:

In game you can do whatever, I once beat Pokemon Ruby with a mudkip only run, and I mean literally only mudkip, turns out he can learn all the hms necessary to go thru the game

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!
I personally will never be satisfied until they release an accessory that lets you transfer from Gen 1-2 to 3. And none of this Virtual Console BS. I'm talking about something I can physically plug my Pokemon Red Cartridge into so I can send my childhood Blastoise to RSE. Just make something that reads and copies the stats and then randomly adds all the later stuff like Abilities to the new file.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Your childhood Blastoise is dead man, that battery is dead

The Golden Gael
Nov 12, 2011

galagazombie posted:

I personally will never be satisfied until they release an accessory that lets you transfer from Gen 1-2 to 3. And none of this Virtual Console BS. I'm talking about something I can physically plug my Pokemon Red Cartridge into so I can send my childhood Blastoise to RSE. Just make something that reads and copies the stats and then randomly adds all the later stuff like Abilities to the new file.

"They" will never release it, but I remember someone online jimmied something up that lets you do that. Your homies will not be authentic RBY mons though, since they did this before the VC version came out and set the standard for such a thing.

quote:

There isn't really any way to gently caress yourself over irrevocably.
Well...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-rbS-l1SHgc&t=145s

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

chaosapiant posted:

Another question..I've finished Y and Alpha Sapphire this year. I had started Sun but then just bought Ultra Moon and i'm playing that instead. Aside from version specific legs, am I missing anything by not playing the Non ultra version of gen 7?

Admittedly I've gotten bored of Gen 7 at several points, but there's some very minor story variations between SM/USUM. I think Lilly's mother, whose name I can't even remember, isn't obsessed with the Ultra Beasts in USUM, whereas she is in SM.

Lilly also abruptly disappears in SM after the core game is finished.

Oh, and the Professor is your final battle in the core game of SM, but in USUM Hau is.

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!

AlBorlantern Corps posted:

Your childhood Blastoise is dead man, that battery is dead

That's kind of why I'm sore. The battery is actually still good and Blastoise lives, but I know he's on borrowed time. It's admittedly impressive just how long those Gameboy cartridge batteries last.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

notthegoatseguy posted:

Admittedly I've gotten bored of Gen 7 at several points, but there's some very minor story variations between SM/USUM. I think Lilly's mother, whose name I can't even remember, isn't obsessed with the Ultra Beasts in USUM, whereas she is in SM.

Lilly also abruptly disappears in SM after the core game is finished.

Oh, and the Professor is your final battle in the core game of SM, but in USUM Hau is.

That's fantastic, I like Hau! He doesn't give a poo poo that he's constantly a loser. Does he power up like Naruto at some point, or just keep being kinda happy go lucky?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

galagazombie posted:

That's kind of why I'm sore. The battery is actually still good and Blastoise lives, but I know he's on borrowed time. It's admittedly impressive just how long those Gameboy cartridge batteries last.

Get a GameShark somehow to back up your save, then replace the battery, then restore your backup