Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club
Ah well. Seems like it would be a blast if I had friends. Back to Battle Brothers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Russian Remoulade
Feb 22, 2009
I have a lengthy flight to Japan coming up and I'm looking for some 3DS games to help pass the time. I like RPGs, but I'm trying to avoid just dumping another dozen hours into Monster Hunter. Help.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Zosologist posted:

Looking for a game for my wife to watch me play on the switch or ps4. She Likes exploration and puzzles. Previous hits in descending order include; Breath of the Wild, Horizon: Zero Dawn, Super Mario Odyssey, Firewatch, Assassins Creed: Odyssey. Fallout 4.

EDIT: Oh and motherfucking Stardew Valley

This is half-serious: try an Artifex Mundi hidden object game. It pairs adventure game style exploration with brain-dead easy puzzles.

haldolium
Oct 22, 2016

Section Z posted:

I got a laugh out of treating a 100mb save file as a big deal compared to Subnautica :allears:

Though I'm so proud of them for getting a "One safe shallows base" launch save to 150mb territory, down from 2+gig save and 2 gig Tempfile while playing said save.

With a history like that, I can understand why Subnautica never went for additional quicksaves. My prior postage stamp sized SSD got a real scare when the 2 gig tempsave files didn't erase themselves.

I know what you mean but it's not about "a save" but about all of them accumulated. My save folders hit 8+GB for those games because "quicksave" was just additive manual saving with a hotkey instead of offering ~5-10 temporary slots which then are overwritten (as it's supposed to be). Those games are 5-10 times longer as Subnautica and if you're someone like me who saves sometimes 2-3 times per minute depending on the game or situation, it's kind of suboptimal.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

haldolium posted:

I know what you mean but it's not about "a save" but about all of them accumulated. My save folders hit 8+GB for those games because "quicksave" was just additive manual saving with a hotkey instead of offering ~5-10 temporary slots which then are overwritten (as it's supposed to be). Those games are 5-10 times longer as Subnautica and if you're someone like me who saves sometimes 2-3 times per minute depending on the game or situation, it's kind of suboptimal.
Oh wow, yikes. Yeah that does sound like a rude surprise if you didn't know that going in.

Toast King
Jun 22, 2007

Coming back to say that I've got into a couple of recommendations given to me and it's been great so far.

Played through Tacoma a few days ago and loved everything about it, especially the amount of background detail in every object and poster around. It's rare to get that feeling of lived-in area design and not have it feel a bit forced.

Currently finished the first 2 chapters of Dead Space and it's been good too - visually it holds up extremely well with a bit of downsampling and extra AA added, I'm really impressed. I think the diegetic HUD plays a huge part in it too, I'd love to see something like that in more games after spending a couple of hours with this.

SoR Blaze
Apr 12, 2006

Russian Remoulade posted:

I have a lengthy flight to Japan coming up and I'm looking for some 3DS games to help pass the time. I like RPGs, but I'm trying to avoid just dumping another dozen hours into Monster Hunter. Help.

Shin Megami Tensei IV and it's interquel/sequel, Apocalypse, are pretty much the best RPGs I've ever played.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Toast King posted:

Coming back to say that I've got into a couple of recommendations given to me and it's been great so far.

Played through Tacoma a few days ago and loved everything about it, especially the amount of background detail in every object and poster around. It's rare to get that feeling of lived-in area design and not have it feel a bit forced.

Currently finished the first 2 chapters of Dead Space and it's been good too - visually it holds up extremely well with a bit of downsampling and extra AA added, I'm really impressed. I think the diegetic HUD plays a huge part in it too, I'd love to see something like that in more games after spending a couple of hours with this.

Hellblade: Senua's Sacrifice is another good game with the same over-the-shoulder camera and no HUD.

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Wario Chalmers! WAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

Russian Remoulade posted:

Radiant historia and SMT are good

Uncle Ulty
Dec 12, 2006

Represent.
I was recently reminded of how much I loved Archaeology in World of Warcraft. Traversing around the world to the dig sites, playing a minigame to dig up pieces of artifacts that fill up a progression bar and eventually give you a new item, sometimes useless, sometimes useful. And of course seeing grids of items that I've collected fill up as I progress. Are there any other games out there that might scratch that itch?

Devonaut
Jul 10, 2001

Devoted Astronaut

Uncle Ulty posted:

I was recently reminded of how much I loved Archaeology in World of Warcraft. Traversing around the world to the dig sites, playing a minigame to dig up pieces of artifacts that fill up a progression bar and eventually give you a new item, sometimes useless, sometimes useful. And of course seeing grids of items that I've collected fill up as I progress. Are there any other games out there that might scratch that itch?

Take a look at The Curious Expedition (my personal recommendation) and also Renowned Explorers which came out around the same time and has a similar theme:

https://store.steampowered.com/app/358130/The_Curious_Expedition/

https://store.steampowered.com/app/296970/Renowned_Explorers_International_Society/

Oodles
Oct 31, 2005

Looking for a city builder style game.

I like the anno series of games, sim city 4, Stardew, The Guild, Cities Skylines.

Not limited to just city builder - I also like Oxygen not Included, Don't Starve, Minecraft (w/ industrial mods), Factorio and Dungeon Defenders.

Old Grasshopper
Apr 7, 2011

"Patience, young grasshopper."
If you like city builder games mixed with those kind of survival games - have a look at Frostpunk.

It's probably closer to Anno than the other games you've mentioned, but with some really horrible choices to make like in Don't Starve. Reviewed well and might be able to scratch both of your itches :chord:

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Oodles posted:

I like the anno series of games, sim city 4, Stardew, The Guild, Cities Skylines.

Not limited to just city builder - I also like Oxygen not Included, Don't Starve, Minecraft (w/ industrial mods), Factorio and Dungeon Defenders.

I haven't played it myself but Frostpunk gets fantastic reviews from everyone I know who's played it, and it's a city-builder in the proper sense (unlike my next recommendation.)

If you want something Don't Starve-esque which has a neat mix of exploration and building things, Subnautica is one of the best games I've ever played. It's a little more involved than Don't Starve's prefab, free-standing structures, too, you can build an underwater base out of snap-to-grid parts, you have to manage power, food, water desalination, etc.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

One of the best city builder games out there is Tropico, which is also a tyrannical dictatorship like Frostpunk, but instead of rubbing your nose in it, it's goofy and fun. Tropico 4 is the one I'd recommend. In that one they've finally worked out the details of their commodity system where the prices of your island's exports are influenced by your country's relationship with the rest of the world. The Middle East wants one thing, Europe wants another, the US and USSR don't like it if you're getting too close to the other. Tropico 3 only had the US and USSR. You also get a mission system to keep things interesting.

Tropico 5 was mainly devoted to the gimmick of doing a long-running campaign with a dynasty of dictators, starting in colonial times, which I wasn't fond of. Of course, Tropico 6 is right around the corner in March if you're the type of person who likes playing games when they're new.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

SlothfulCobra posted:

One of the best city builder games out there is Tropico, which is also a tyrannical dictatorship like Frostpunk, but instead of rubbing your nose in it, it's goofy and fun. Tropico 4 is the one I'd recommend. In that one they've finally worked out the details of their commodity system where the prices of your island's exports are influenced by your country's relationship with the rest of the world. The Middle East wants one thing, Europe wants another, the US and USSR don't like it if you're getting too close to the other. Tropico 3 only had the US and USSR. You also get a mission system to keep things interesting.

Tropico 5 was mainly devoted to the gimmick of doing a long-running campaign with a dynasty of dictators, starting in colonial times, which I wasn't fond of. Of course, Tropico 6 is right around the corner in March if you're the type of person who likes playing games when they're new.

How much DLC do you need for Tropico 4?

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Oodles posted:

Take a look at Banished and keep an eye on Foundation.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

The only DLC that really changes things for Tropico 4 is Modern Times. It adds a whole thing with being able to upgrade buildings over time as technology develops, along with an entirely new campaign and a bunch of new edicts. All the other DLCs are very shallow and just add a building and a scenario. The Quick-Dry Cement DLC is the only real priority out of those, since the cement factory speeds up all construction, which is a real quality of life improvement.

Of course, the fun thing about buying games long after release is that by this point all those DLCs have been bundled together to be cheaper.

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost
e: wrong thread

SpaceGoatFarts fucked around with this message at 09:03 on Feb 19, 2019

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.

SlothfulCobra posted:

One of the best city builder games out there is Tropico, which is also a tyrannical dictatorship like Frostpunk, but instead of rubbing your nose in it, it's goofy and fun.

To be fair, being tyrannical is way less efficient than being actually good at your work as Presidente, at least in the ones I’ve played.

Oodles
Oct 31, 2005

Thanks thread. I’ve got Tropico 4 and Banished from a sale past. So I’ll give them a go, and keep an eye on a Frostpunk sale.

Riatsala
Nov 20, 2013

All Princesses are Tyrants

I just finished Paper Mario: TTYD and now I'm looking for more RPGs like it. I like the reactive, participatory turn based combat and straightforward combat mechanics, along with the general charm and colorful palette of the game. Are the other Paper Marios as good? How about the Mario + Luigi RPGs? Are there any other games like it?

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

Riatsala posted:

I just finished Paper Mario: TTYD and now I'm looking for more RPGs like it. I like the reactive, participatory turn based combat and straightforward combat mechanics, along with the general charm and colorful palette of the game. Are the other Paper Marios as good? How about the Mario + Luigi RPGs? Are there any other games like it?

You should play the original Paper Mario, it's good. Sticker Star wasn't well received. The first Mario+Luigi Superstar game is the best one, the sequels are a bit less good but still worth your time. Well, I didn't even know about Paper Jam, not sure if that one's any good.

McFrugal fucked around with this message at 21:25 on Feb 20, 2019

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

Riatsala posted:

Bowser's Inside Story is the other standout in the Mario + Luigi games, imo. It does a lot of cute and clever things.

Super Mario RPG has a different (3D-ish isometric) art style, but is still super loving charming and originated that timed-hit style turn based combat that Paper Mario uses (to my knowledge, at least)

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Super Paper Mario has some good moments, but it technically isn't an RPG. I think quality-wise, Thousand Year Door is the pinnacle of the series. It's just a hard act to follow because it's so good. It may also technically be the darkest Mario game.

Trying to think of games outside of the Mario series that use that sort of mechanic, there's Costume Quest and Steven Universe: Save the Light. You might also be interested in something like the hybrid turn-based action RPG Megaman Battle Network.

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

Riatsala posted:

if you haven't played super mario rpg you are doing yourself a hilarious disservice

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider
Honestly I can’t think of a better jrpg

blinking beacon nose
Nov 1, 2004

birthday frog comes bearing gifts and special birthday wishes

SpaceGoatFarts posted:

A robot Named Fight

Holy poo poo, this one is fantastic

SoR Blaze
Apr 12, 2006

Riatsala posted:

Like others have said, try Paper Mario 1, I think it's even better than ttyd because it's paced better, although the mechanics are simpler. Charles Barkley Shut up and Jam Gaiden also uses the action commands mechanic if I recall correctly, and was pretty solid. I also check around for these kind of games but for whatever reason people don't really want to iterate on that particular niche. You also may want to try the 2 new South Park RPGs, I believe they also use action commands but you have to be willing to sit through what is essentially a long episode of that show.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
Picked up a robot named fight, it's Good.

Crossposting from the remember the name of this game thread: someone described a Rimworld/Dwarf Fortress/Gnomoria style game where they specifically mentioned that unlike those games if you want to make a kitchen you don't just build a kitchen station you have to build a kettle and a stove and such individually. I think it might have been in this thread, does that ring any bells with anyone?

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

Kenshi? Dunno if it's that specifically that just sounds like the kind of tedium that Kenshi would use.

Riatsala
Nov 20, 2013

All Princesses are Tyrants

I don't think that's Kenshi, it's tedious but not quite that tedious.

I'm back with another call for help. I'm positively devastated by how much I hate Octopath traveler due to the fact that JRPG time wasting game padding bullshit is actually a problem for me, now.

So what are some turn-based JRPG style games that don't loving waste your time? Games where I'm not forced to fight the same exact encounter 40 times before I fight the boss, or grind for hours on end?

Earthbound, Paper Mario, and Undertale were all great, what else is there?

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Neither Chrono Trigger nor Chrono Cross have player levels in there JRPG, you can literally walk around them to no ill effect.

chairface
Oct 28, 2007

No matter what you believe, I don't believe in you.

Riatsala posted:

I don't think that's Kenshi, it's tedious but not quite that tedious.

I'm back with another call for help. I'm positively devastated by how much I hate Octopath traveler due to the fact that JRPG time wasting game padding bullshit is actually a problem for me, now.

So what are some turn-based JRPG style games that don't loving waste your time? Games where I'm not forced to fight the same exact encounter 40 times before I fight the boss, or grind for hours on end?

Earthbound, Paper Mario, and Undertale were all great, what else is there?

The remakes of Dragon Quest/Warrior 1-4 cut out a ton of grinding as well as being more generous with powerful gear.

Funktor
May 17, 2009

Burnin' down the disco floor...
Fear the wrath of the mighty FUNKTOR!

Turtlicious posted:

Neither Chrono Trigger nor Chrono Cross have player levels in there JRPG, you can literally walk around them to no ill effect.

Um, not true? But neither of them require grinding.

Chinook
Apr 11, 2006

SHODAI

My son wants to learn a little programming and I thought a game (or even an online game in a browser) that incorporated basic coding principles would be fun. He's 10, so I'm not going to give him a zachtronics game or something, quite yet.

Any suggestions? Google shows me a bunch of options but it's hard to discern..

DOUBLE CLICK HERE
Feb 5, 2005
WA3
Isn't that pretty much Scratch was made for? There might be something newer with a better presentation and layout.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Chinook posted:

My son wants to learn a little programming and I thought a game (or even an online game in a browser) that incorporated basic coding principles would be fun. He's 10, so I'm not going to give him a zachtronics game or something, quite yet.

Any suggestions? Google shows me a bunch of options but it's hard to discern..

Human Resource Machine.

Clockwerk
Apr 6, 2005

Scratch is excellent! I helped teach a course this summer for about 20 kids around 9 or 10 years old, and they loved it, in addition to learning a ton

I would recommend playing with scratch as well, and trying to keep pace with their learning. The reason being, as great as scratch is, it’s still hard for anyone to learn unfamiliar concepts at the same time as a the UI, so they’re going to eventually get stuck and feel defeated, but if you’re there to help them work through it, it just becomes a small road bump and a learning experience. It’s also okay for them to see you struggle a bit if you don’t know exactly how to accomplish what they’re trying, they’ll recognize that you’re both learning together

Scratch.mit.edu is the website, if you want more materials for a learning plan, I can try to find the one we used

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chinook
Apr 11, 2006

SHODAI

Thanks guys. I'll check out Scratch for sure, and HRM. I remember some web based medieval fantasy dungeony themed one, where you marched knights around mazes or whatever. Very nice production values. But I remember it being a monthly fee type of deal, and I'm not really up for another monthly fee.

Anyway, thanks again.