Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.
Maybe the chronic dry mouth finally worked in my favor. Maybe they are just screening weed and opiates

Qui sait?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

T-Square
May 14, 2009

I don't really feel like wading into the massive Subaru thread, so I'm going to ask here:

Thinking about turning in my boring-rear end Corolla lease a couple of months early, because I found a slightly less boring 2016 Impreza 2.0i Sport with the 5-speed manual in my price range. Are there any issues with these, or are they pretty standard "take care of them and they'll last forever" commuters? It's at about 45K miles.

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.
This definitely used to be a thing, but Subarus used to have fragile manual transmissions. I don't know if it still is a thing, but I remember some goon having a Forester or Outback with 4-5 stickers on it like a flying ace for all of the manual transmissions it had grenaded

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

lol the Gorestor was definitely putting the transmission through more stress than a NA 2.0 commuter.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках
Yeah, the Gorester was not in any way a good demonstration of what a stock Subaru would do to transmissions.

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

What have you assholes done now?

The Door Frame posted:

This definitely used to be a thing, but Subarus used to have fragile manual transmissions. I don't know if it still is a thing, but I remember some goon having a Forester or Outback with 4-5 stickers on it like a flying ace for all of the manual transmissions it had grenaded

That was mine. The Gorester was a 2.0 from a WRX and a vf39 from an STI... It was probably making somewhere arounf 300 wheel. Deffo not normal.

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

Gorester! That's the one
I didn't know that it had double the power of a stock Forester, that will definitely cause some stress on the drive train
I always heard they were fragile, but it could have just been in comparison to Mazda and Honda manuals

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
the old ones I used to drive sucked rear end but didn't die

they just were vague and lovely

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

What have you assholes done now?

Liquid Communism posted:

Yeah, the Gorester was not in any way a good demonstration of what a stock Subaru would do to transmissions.

Yeah it wasnt a good demonstration of any part of a stock Subaru.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

The Door Frame posted:

NA Subaru manuals live forever. It's only been the turbo models that have had gearbox issues and mostly due to either shoving big power through them or being abused, altho the pre 98 turbo gearboxes ARE distinctly weaker. But that's not a factor in the USA given they didnt get the GC8

Adiabatic posted:

Yeah it wasnt a good demonstration of any part of a stock Subaru.

It was a good demonstration of a vehicle that operated on child blood sacrifices

T-Square
May 14, 2009

Yeah, this will definitely be a stock daily driver/commuter, it wouldn't get anything other than fun wheels most likely. I just need a manual transmission so I can have a LITTLE fun.

My project needs are already filled with my E30 that's been collecting dust in my parent's garage until I can move out of my apartment into my own house :v:

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

It wasnt that bad, after you left I got to help put out the fire!

As per thread title. Soundtrack by moog

https://youtu.be/Ej9Wxvij7Ik

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

Darchangel posted:

Sweet! That stuffs pretty good. If Green doesn’t get something clean, I switch to Purple Power or it’s generic equivalents, with the caveat that Purple will also remove paint, and sometimes color, since it is the same stuff as oven cleaner. Sodium hydroxide? I forget. Also darkens aluminum. But it’s killer on grease and a lot of adhesives. Green is much gentler.

Which used to be this

Also Delicas are fuckin' rad as hell.

HandlingByJebus
Jun 21, 2009

All of a sudden, I found myself in love with the world, so there was only one thing I could do:
was ding a ding dang, my dang a long racecar.

It's a love affair. Mainly jebus, and my racecar.

KakerMix posted:

Which used to be this

:wtc:

Did somebody die and decompose in that van?

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
Looks like a paint spill. :stare:

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Javid posted:

Looks like a paint spill. :stare:

Goddamnit John

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V6l2py68WY4

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]
That big circle spot looks like a paint can of some sort.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
My incident re-enactment powers tell me somebody had a paint can back there, thought a couple newspapers would do it, and hit a bump too fast. *splat*

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
It wasn't paint, it was some sort of solid rubber mat. It was completely uniform and had folds and ridges in it where it wasn't set completely flat. Some of it could be pulled up easily and some of it had adhered to the top fibers of the carpet.
Like when a rubber band gets old and goopy.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

Thanks Mr Chips for blacking out my info. :toot:

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

HandlingByJebus posted:

What up, ADHD buddy :freakout:

I think screens can generally tell the difference between Ritalin etc. and biker meth, so there's that.

Urine screens can, but the labs still assume a positive hit for any amphetamine is substance abuse until proven otherwise.

The oral ones just say yes/no to each class. They were probably just doing a 1 or 3 panel.

Also sup clonazepam buddy.

underlig
Sep 13, 2007

KakerMix posted:

It wasn't paint, it was some sort of solid rubber mat. It was completely uniform and had folds and ridges in it where it wasn't set completely flat. Some of it could be pulled up easily and some of it had adhered to the top fibers of the carpet.
Like when a rubber band gets old and goopy.

Way to ruin that sweet gator-interior, what kind of van is it?

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

underlig posted:

Way to ruin that sweet gator-interior, what kind of van is it?

1988 Mitsubishi Delica, one of the vans that everyone in the Pacific Northwest pants-cream over.

One owner, 120k km, 5 speed manual, turbo diesel. Actually very clean in terms of the car actually being in very good shape, just dirty in the "original owners never ever cleaned the inside I don't think also what the hell is this rubber poo poo?" way. I get why people like them so much. In a couple weeks we'll have Toyota's take on full-size 4x4 turbo diesel van, a KZ-equipped HiAce, though in automatic guise and we can see who wins in the BATTLE OF THE VANS.

HandlingByJebus
Jun 21, 2009

All of a sudden, I found myself in love with the world, so there was only one thing I could do:
was ding a ding dang, my dang a long racecar.

It's a love affair. Mainly jebus, and my racecar.

KakerMix posted:

1988 Mitsubishi Delica, one of the vans that everyone in the Pacific Northwest pants-cream over.

One owner, 120k km, 5 speed manual, turbo diesel. Actually very clean in terms of the car actually being in very good shape, just dirty in the "original owners never ever cleaned the inside I don't think also what the hell is this rubber poo poo?" way. I get why people like them so much. In a couple weeks we'll have Toyota's take on full-size 4x4 turbo diesel van, a KZ-equipped HiAce, though in automatic guise and we can see who wins in the BATTLE OF THE VANS.

I love that the bash bar supports look like tiny, pudgy fists death-gripping the tubing. :3:

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica
This isn't really a "before" picture, but I've decided today's the day I'm gonna finally get on top of the mess that is my office. I've been half-rear end trying for a couple months of picking and poking and this is about as clean as it has been in years.

Gone are the 4 cases of beer bottles, stacks of pizza boxes, and about a bag of trash.

As you can tell, I have a long way to go. I picked up a used filing cabinet today and my goal is have it in the left corner and my desk cleared off by the end of the day.

Guess how long it has been since that trash can got used.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

:stare:

That's an office?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
That's a big closet.

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica
The pine bookcase is sitting about 2' off the wall because there's a big pile of crap behind it that I've literally meant to deal with for years... The room's larger than the picture makes it look, just not by much, and the piles of crap aren't helping.

Progress!

Next steps are to finish cleaning the area of the rug I can get to atm, then move a filing cabinet into the far left corner, and then start filing the piles of paper on and under my desk.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

If you'd clear the poo poo off the top of your trash can, you could more easily throw trash into it rather than onto the floor :shrug:

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Looks much better, open the curtain fully and let the natural light in.

In other news I'm up to like 4 consecutive days of having enough sleep at the right time of the day and I feel like a different species. If I make it to 7 and evolve I'll remember you guys when I take over the world.

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica

Pham Nuwen posted:

If you'd clear the poo poo off the top of your trash can, you could more easily throw trash into it rather than onto the floor :shrug:

That trashcan's lack of use has more to do with the fact garbage bag tags are $2.50 here and I hate double-bagging trash almost as much as I hate cleaning a trash can that doesn't have a bag in it.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

KakerMix posted:

Which used to be this

Yeah, they are.
Glad the Simple Green saved the carpets.

The promised donation receipt:

This weekend I had opportunity to try my hand at a little basic power carving. We had the dead Catalpa tree in our back yard cut down, and my wife and mother in law decided the cunk that used to be the fork in the tree would make a good planter, so I picked up a "Bad Blade" and one of the chainsaw death wheels. I was only able to use the chain-wheel, because I had a threaded flap wheel on the 4-1/2" grinder, and forgot to grab the nut for the grinder, so could only use the 4". Turned out pretty good. Drilled a bunch of holes in a circle with a 1-1/4" forstner bit, then went to town with the chainsaw wheel.

Made a shitload of very fragrant sawdust, too.

Just watch your cord with that blade:

That was just a brief catch.

If I mess with this thing too much more I'm buying a leather apron or chainsaw chaps. It could rip your leg to shreds toute de suite.

I bundled up the remains of the tree, and when done cutting into smaller chunks than the removal guy left it, wondered whether it would make good firewood:

Turns out Catalpa is a hardwood, though on the soft end, and burns just fine. Buns pretty quickly, but smells nice when doing so, which is fine, since we don't have a fireplace, just a firepit thing:

And then my wife put an idea into my head, so I executed:

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

cakesmith handyman posted:

Looks much better, open the curtain fully and let the natural light in.

The who-what? "Natural... light"? Sound familiar.

Fermented Tinal posted:

That trashcan's lack of use has more to do with the fact garbage bag tags are $2.50 here and I hate double-bagging trash almost as much as I hate cleaning a trash can that doesn't have a bag in it.

What in the gently caress is a garbage bag tag? You have to pay to throw poo poo away?

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
So what's up with diesels and California registration? I know there is CARB and it's something like anything after 1974, but is there something else for diesels? I have our turbo diesel Rugger on BaT right now and a few people are asking about registering it in California. I've heard there is something different for registering diesels there. Am I incorrect?

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica

Darchangel posted:

What in the gently caress is a garbage bag tag? You have to pay to throw poo poo away?

Yep, we don't have a landfill and instead pay to have our garbage trucked across the border to Michigan. It's $2/bag at the drop-off station on the other side of town.

Recycling is free, I try to recycle as much as possible, but there's "guidelines" as to what they'll take, so a lot of things you'd consider recyclable are not, while things you wouldn't expect, are. For example, they'll take empty cement bags, but won't take plastic grocery bags.

This room smells so different now and I ain't even really halfway there with the cleaning, sure, physically half of the room is clean, but I started on the half not dominated by my desk and bookcase.

Fermented Tinal fucked around with this message at 19:09 on Feb 19, 2019

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

You've inspired me to get cracking on the apartment clean i've been putting off for a while.

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

Ugh, that in progress photo is not too far off from my desk. I guess I should probably clean it

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

I can’t say much. My office is pretty darn cluttered. No trash, though. I can’t stand trash hanging around, particularly since it is so cluttered.
My current main goal, and I started on it a couple weeks ago, is to clean out the desk drawers. There’s almost 20 years of accumulated knick knacks, pens, pencils, etc. in there.
Next is to go through the file cabinet (4-drawer, full length) and trash anything older than 5 or 7 years depending on the nature of the documents.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
Currently have 265/70/16 tires and looking to replace. 285/75/16 are just about $100 more total and 13% bigger. Just eyeballing and asking guys who do this more than me, do you think I’d have an issue with that size?

Only registered members can see post attachments!