Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

Serephina posted:

That's kind of intentional? If global warming suddenly affected some victory conditions but not others, there'd be no end of bitching about it. It's a cool mechanic to make the game more interesting as you streak ahead to your win. It's like complaining governors and build queues don't punish culture victories.

It is not a cool mechanic that makes the game more interesting because it doesn't do anything.

I wasn't suggesting that it should affect some win conditions and not others. Rather, I was pointing out that it can never affect any victory condition unless you put a spaceport on the beach. Global warming can be completely ignored in 100% of games.

The White Dragon posted:

did they change that or is the space victory still just "set up an experimental mars colony"

disappointingly weak science victory imo

They did. Something about exoplanets. I'm not sure what though.

I was just using it as an thematic example to introduce my point that winning is not affected by global warming, and you can just march ahead toward your desired victory without it even mattering.

The Human Crouton fucked around with this message at 10:51 on Feb 18, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

The White Dragon posted:

did they change that or is the space victory still just "set up an experimental mars colony"

disappointingly weak science victory imo

It goes the exact same up until you get to the Mars Colony mission. Instead of 3 pieces it's just one. Afterthat you have the "exoplanet mission" which sends a rocket to a planet in another solar system (i.e. Alpha Centuari). It's a 50 turn trip but you power it up by building lasers to push it in Spaceports so it becomes a rocket spam as you throw as many laser satellites (30 aluminum) or build laser stations on the ground (5 power) as you can.

Pyromancer
Apr 29, 2011

This man must look upon the fire, smell of it, warm his hands by it, stare into its heart

The Human Crouton posted:

Who cares about global warming when one of the win conditions is to leave the planet?

"Industrial victory" - build many factories and power plants to cause global warming, use production to wall yourself off from the rising ocean that'll drown everyone else

Radio
Jul 25, 2003

Oh no, trash bear!
So far the largest hindrance that I've had was losing a bunch of seaside resorts in a culture game, and that didn't really stop me from randoming enough high level rock bands to literally abduct my way to victory. The timer was teetering between 30 and 60 and then one event later, it dropped to 2, then 0. Rock bands.

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

I always wear my wedding ring. It's my trademark.

I regret choosing the Inca as my first choice of the new civs. I don't think I'll every be able to play without mountain teleportation.

When there's a mountain range crossing your entire continent, you can literally move from pole to pole with a warrior in a single turn.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

The Human Crouton posted:

It is not a cool mechanic that makes the game more interesting because it doesn't do anything.

I wasn't suggesting that it should affect some win conditions and not others. Rather, I was pointing out that it can never affect any victory condition unless you put a spaceport on the beach. Global warming can be completely ignored in 100% of games.

That's an oddly specific line of complaint. You could say the same about most mechanisms. Spies are pointless because you can just put a counterspy on your spaceport. Loyalty/Ages are pointless because you can just put the spaceport in a populous central city. War is pointless because you can just stack walls/archers/anti-air in your spaceport city.

Climate change can destroy tiles, which makes you lose improvements, yields, and maybe even districts. It increases the rate of disasters, which also slows you down. It affects victory conditions as much as any secondary mechanic.

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

Climate change can destroy tiles, which makes you lose improvements, yields, and maybe even districts. It increases the rate of disasters, which also slows you down. It affects victory conditions as much as any secondary mechanic.

The other mechanics are actually tools that you can use better than your opponents. An effect that affects every player in a broad way might as well not exist. In your scenario, it would slow everybody down, which means that it doesn't do anything because everybody is in the same position before and after the event.

In reality, it does not slow anybody down, or do anything. The mechanic is nearly invisible and will have a measurable effect on 1/1000 games.

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

i've been playing with natural disasters at 4, which i expected to lead to an apocalypse hellscape of hollywood disaster movie proportions but instead they don't seem to particularly matter

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011
Climate change has actually marked alot of nice islands I've seen as Kupe as a no go because of much of them will melt once the water starts rising, so I think the mechanic has at least a little teeth.

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

I've managed to somehow not settle in any disaster zones in any of my games. No tornadoes or droughts either.

Ogdred Weary
Jul 1, 2007

A is for Amy who fell down the stairs
I made a Unit tech/resource upgrade diagram. Maybe you'll find it useful.

(sneaky edit to catch some missing things)

Ogdred Weary fucked around with this message at 19:58 on Feb 18, 2019

turboraton
Aug 28, 2011
I want a mod that adds disaster level: midnight so once again count me with the guys that don't understand human crouton's ramblings

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

I still don't know what the future tech or civics are

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

MarquiseMindfang posted:

So uh, is anyone else having next to no barb spawns?

They're not turned off because I find them on various other continents later on, but they almost never spawn on my home continent, even in Ancient Era.

I'm actually finding a lot more barbarians most of the time--the tweak they made to spread out starting locations means there is a lot more room for them to spawn. (The exception is if you're playing Kupe since you get to say gently caress you to the start location generator and lodge yourself right next to someone else.)

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

SHY NUDIST GRRL posted:

I still don't know what the future tech or civics are

They're pretty underwhelming on the whole. The techs are mostly buffs to the Giant Death Robots, the Exoplanet project (science victory) and two new tile improvements. Seasteads are just better fisheries which give 2 housing, and offshore wind farms are what you'd expect, except locked to the same sci-fi tier as building a functional Mars colony.

The Civics give you a carbon reclamation project which removes a small bit of CO2 and gives diplo points, and a bunch of situational wild card policies. One of them gives policy cards that give the Mont St. Michel "choose any promotion" bonus to spies and rock bands, which is pretty handy if you somehow haven't won a culture victory yet or just want to mass flip cities.

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

drat Indonesia with the 2000 year early seasteds

CoolHandMat
Oct 5, 2017

The Glumslinger posted:

It's better, but still not great

ive noticed that the computer will roll you early game, unless you have ancient walls or better. Beyond that it seems like the AI cant take cities with walls.

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
WHERE THE FUCK IS MY MONEY
It feels climate change levels stop too soon, desert and tundra tiles should expand outwards as the environment gets ever more poo poo and extreme.

Starks
Sep 24, 2006

Global warming and disasters both have way more of an effect on an archipelago game.

Crypto Cobain
Jun 17, 2018

by Reene

Thom12255 posted:

It feels climate change levels stop too soon, desert and tundra tiles should expand outwards as the environment gets ever more poo poo and extreme.
Only if they slow down the warming effect overall as currently it happens too fast. I can never get flood barriers up in time.

I'm somewhat annoyed you need computers for that tech, when it's really just a big old wall. It should be under buttress.

Radio
Jul 25, 2003

Oh no, trash bear!

CoolHandMat posted:

ive noticed that the computer will roll you early game, unless you have ancient walls or better. Beyond that it seems like the AI cant take cities with walls.

I've had games where an AI civ that adamantly refuses to not be at war with me will wipe itself out. The war weariness just crippled them to the point that my defenders were two ages ahead in tech, and then I started moving them toward cities.

Radio fucked around with this message at 22:51 on Feb 18, 2019

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Yeah an early wall that like only buys you one state of flooding would probably be cool

Tom Tucker
Jul 19, 2003

I want to warn you fellers
And tell you one by one
What makes a gallows rope to swing
A woman and a gun

Make it tiers like walls. First one turns all your 1 meters to 2 meters, second one turns all your 2s to 3s, third insulates all tiles.

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Mansa Munsa is estimated to be the richest person who ever lived even by modern standards iirc.

He literally accidentally crashed the economies of multiple countries on the way to Mecca for pilgrimage, because he gave out more gold as gifts to poor people than existed in possibly the entire eastern Mediterranean region.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

Roadie posted:

He literally accidentally crashed the economies of multiple countries on the way to Mecca for pilgrimage, because he gave out more gold as gifts to poor people than existed in possibly the entire eastern Mediterranean region.

The post you're quoting is talking about that exact situation. Come on.

Lowen
Mar 16, 2007

Adorable.

So I've played one and a half games with the new expansion and I think after 245 hours, I'm finally 100% sick of the dumb AI.

Are we organizing any MP goon games anywhere? I'd prefer to play a standardish game with one other person and a bunch of AI using PBC.

Crypto Cobain
Jun 17, 2018

by Reene

Lowen posted:

So I've played one and a half games with the new expansion and I think after 245 hours, I'm finally 100% sick of the dumb AI.

Are we organizing any MP goon games anywhere? I'd prefer to play a standardish game with one other person and a bunch of AI using PBC.
1. https://discord.gg/aNGrvYg
2. https://discord.gg/rbn9wk9

I've actually been playing games in #2, but there's lots of healthy discussion in #1

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

Maybe on higher difficulties the AI goes crazy with CO2 stuff? I played my first game on King to be more chill, and I got a science victory before we got to stage 2 global warming. I was actually reducing my contribution at the end with recapture carbon, even using Oil Power Plants (I think I only built like 3 total, with the city-state to extend their range that was enough to reach all my cities). I don't think the sea levels rose higher than 0.5 meters, and I was able to get green energy up and running pretty quick. Perhaps the AI isn't as smart about it? Guess I need to bump up the difficulty a few notches.

Beelzebufo
Mar 5, 2015

Frog puns are toadally awesome

Seems to relate a lot to military presence. On my Kupe archipelago map, lots of battleships, sea levels rose, my cities without flood walls got recked.

sincx
Jul 13, 2012

furiously masturbating to anime titties

Only registered members can see post attachments!

sincx fucked around with this message at 06:35 on Mar 23, 2021

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I wish you could do anything with flooded tiles. They just seem unusable, can't even build water-based stuff on them.

sincx
Jul 13, 2012

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki

sincx posted:

Maori is so overpowered, holy poo poo.

Also these are some interestingly-shaped flood barriers.

Dong Island 2 rises.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 49 minutes!
Thank god I didn't get into any late game wars, but holy poo poo, are there no units but AT that doesn't have a resource requirement in the late game? I only had on source of aluminum and 2 sources of oil in my massive empire, so any late game wars were out of the question. While the Germans have 3 drat death robots.

Also I guess my obessive cutting down trees and building industrial zones in every city is a bad, bad idea.

I'm also surprised there isn't a late game tech that lets you reclaim lost tiles.

TjyvTompa
Jun 1, 2001

im gay
I've completed 4 games so far with the new expansion and in every game there has been a severe shortage of oil, coal and uranium despite playing with abundant resources. Apart from the constant lovely trade offers from the AI this is probably my main gripe with the expansion so far. I haven't been able to build any powerplants yet since the few resources I have goes to my units.

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

For those who are short on strategic resources, how big are you empires ending up? More like 6 cities, or more like 15? I'm not having any major resource shortages on 14 cities, though I only have one uranium deposit so I'm being careful with it. Got plenty of oil, coal, niter. Would've run short on aluminum if I wanted to build a large airforce, but then I took the policy that made spaceports generate aluminum, and used Amani to get some more from a city-state.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 49 minutes!
I think that was one of my problems too. And once you build a powerplant, I can't figure out how to get rid of it. Once I start planting windfarms everywhere I don't need the oil and coal plants, but they're still there, releasing c02. I also wish You could easily see how much pollution each city produces. I can see my total emissions, but I don't know where I need to go to fix it.

TjyvTompa
Jun 1, 2001

im gay

twistedmentat posted:

I think that was one of my problems too. And once you build a powerplant, I can't figure out how to get rid of it. Once I start planting windfarms everywhere I don't need the oil and coal plants, but they're still there, releasing c02. I also wish You could easily see how much pollution each city produces. I can see my total emissions, but I don't know where I need to go to fix it.

I am pretty sure that if you have a coal powerplant and then build enough windfarms the city will only use the renewable sources because when you hold the mouse over the power icon it says that the city is only using renewable power despite there being a coal powerplant in the city. Remember that for some reason units that require resources such as all modern units except the AT all add to pollution and might be the reason why you have global warming.

Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009
Fun Shoe
There is a mod that increase the sea level rise by 50/75/100% in the workshop, but I was actually looking for one that disables it because it seems unfun and pointless.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sincx
Jul 13, 2012