Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.
Hmm. Ok. Maybe I'll just take the CCENT and go straight to studying for the CCNA.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cyks
Mar 17, 2008

The trenches of IT can scar a muppet for life
Cisco made an exam for your current skill level called the Cisco Certified Technician, or CCT. It's not very well known and you'll never see it as a requirement for job postings but it'll count as an industry certification.

I wouldn't get too caught up in the command line side of things for ICND1, just be very familiar with the show commands and how to read the output.

Do look over the ICND1 exam topics. If you can't explain at least 80% of those topics in detail so that a computer illiterate person would understand, I wouldn't take the exam in two weeks.

Dalrain
Nov 13, 2008

Experience joy,
Experience waffle,
Today.
I do interviews for an SF Bay area employer, and I consider a real CCNA to be about the minimum to be useful in a network role. That said, if someone really knows the material, it's plenty to at least start with. The coverage of core concepts is pretty good.

I also agree with others that cloud networking is getting bigger, and the core skills may matter less soon. Still, hasn't really changed yet.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Japanese Dating Sim posted:

I'd recommend either just going straight for the CCNA, or possibly Security+, instead of N+ and CCENT.

Seconding this path. I think Security+ is probably a better choice if you’re going to continue on to CCNA anyways.

The Illusive Man
Mar 27, 2008

~savior of yoomanity~
Echoing that Net+ seems entirely superfluous if you've already got the CCENT.

Just speaking anecdotally, I do feel like Net+ has more name recognition than CCENT, but I usually combat that by just spelling out the acronym on my resume instead of just putting 'CCENT'.

Just speaking generally, how do people feel about Microsoft certs as far as the material goes? Do they mainly require memorization of tons of inane knowledge a la CompTIA, or do they focus more on actual concepts and scenarios?

Japanese Dating Sim
Nov 12, 2003

hehe
Lipstick Apathy

Space Racist posted:

Echoing that Net+ seems entirely superfluous if you've already got the CCENT.

Just speaking anecdotally, I do feel like Net+ has more name recognition than CCENT, but I usually combat that by just spelling out the acronym on my resume instead of just putting 'CCENT'.

Just speaking generally, how do people feel about Microsoft certs as far as the material goes? Do they mainly require memorization of tons of inane knowledge a la CompTIA, or do they focus more on actual concepts and scenarios?

They're kind of in between Cisco and CompTIA in my book. I actually just finished taking the 70-698 (passed, woo) exam and it was a pretty good mix of actual practical knowledge but also drilled down on things like "pick the specific command to accomplish a given task" within a list of similar, related commands. Came across as kind of gotcha questions in some instances.

fordan
Mar 9, 2009

Clue: Zero

Luccion posted:

I am moving to a manager position over a team of software admins in support of a maintenance and inventory information system. The team has complained about a lack of professional development and upward mobility for a while, and I tend to agree. I have a fairly robust training budget that has simply not been tapped for more than 3 years.

What certs/training courses that would be relevant or attractive to a team within this type of job should I be pricing out and trying to schedule? I'm inclined to lean towards organizational level stuff like ITIL, Six Sigma and whatnot to begin with, followed by individual technical certifications as they become identified, as well as any follow on training that the developer offers specific to their product.

Thanks in advance fellow goons.

I’ve always been a huge fan of O’Reilly’s Safari Books Online. A decent amount of video training and some so-so live training webinars, but also (and maybe primarily) access to a huge number of technical & business books by the participating publishers. Books you can also search through. For individuals I recommend joining the ACM for $99 which has Safari access as a benefit, but they have team plans for corporations as well.

Old Grasshopper
Apr 7, 2011

"Patience, young grasshopper."
I will second the Safari Books recommendation. They very occasionally do a bit of discount if you buy for multiple users at the same time, so it's worth doing a trial and if the team like it then give them a call to discuss bulk-user pricing.

It has the DevOps handbook on there, along with the Phoenix Project. I very much recommend the Phoenix Project if you want to have flashbacks to whatever nightmare situation you were last involved in.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM
It's semi-IT, but anyone here passed the PMP? I feel like the difficulty of it has to be overblown, but maybe I am just overconfident?

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

AlternateAccount posted:

It's semi-IT, but anyone here passed the PMP? I feel like the difficulty of it has to be overblown, but maybe I am just overconfident?
Not PMP, but CAPM is the other cert I want to get in the near future. All the PM jobs around here are construction though, and want like 5-10 years of experience.

Japanese Dating Sim
Nov 12, 2003

hehe
Lipstick Apathy
Has anyone here ever taken the 70-695 or 70-703 exams? I'm considering studying for one of them because I'm about to be MCSA W10 certified, and they cover SCCM and deployment, which I've always wanted to learn more about. It'd additionally make me MCSE certified, which would be a nice bonus.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
I'm getting back on the CCENT horse. It's hard to focus on it because it's like drinking from a fire hose and there's no structure in self study, so I just read chapters get overwhelmed and eventually peter out. It doesn't help that I can't seem to remember what I read and watched enough to feel like it was time well spent. Plus It's hard to commit to a paid test like this because I never feel ready enough to actually bet money on my ability to pass.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

skooma512 posted:

I'm getting back on the CCENT horse. It's hard to focus on it because it's like drinking from a fire hose and there's no structure in self study, so I just read chapters get overwhelmed and eventually peter out. It doesn't help that I can't seem to remember what I read and watched enough to feel like it was time well spent. Plus It's hard to commit to a paid test like this because I never feel ready enough to actually bet money on my ability to pass.

I have some pacing guides from WGU if that might help you out. They use the official cert guide, CBT nuggets and Boson labs but you could probably use it as a chapter breakdown for the book at least.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

FCKGW posted:

I have some pacing guides from WGU if that might help you out. They use the official cert guide, CBT nuggets and Boson labs but you could probably use it as a chapter breakdown for the book at least.

That would be awesome.

Lt. Broccoli
Jun 4, 2006

It just sits there. Completely harmless.

skooma512 posted:

That would be awesome.

I could use that too. Glad to know I'm not the only one suffering fire hose fatigue.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!
the trick for me is to book the test 3 to 6 months out because it makes me get off my rear end and study

My wife is in the financial industry and it works for her too.

Mouse Cadet
Mar 19, 2009

All aboard the McEltrain
Next Stop: Atlanta

AlternateAccount posted:

I passed it two years ago. Feel free to ask any questions.

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

Bonzo posted:

the trick for me is to book the test 3 to 6 months out because it makes me get off my rear end and study

My wife is in the financial industry and it works for her too.

That’s usually my strategy too. Book the exam and the pressure is on, otherwise it’s hard to focus.

That being said,I would be curious if you wouldn’t mind posting the WGU study outline, FCKGW. Just interested in seeing what the recommended absorption rate is, since I usually try to target a chapter or 60 pages a day to learn and understand.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

Mouse Cadet posted:

I passed it two years ago. Feel free to ask any questions.
How helpful was it career wise for you?

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

So I'm going to try something different.

I took all the ICND1 objectives and put them on a page individually, essentially making them essay prompts. I'm going to put them in a binder and fill them with notes.

This will hopefully solve my habit of aimlessly studying and anxiety around wasted time. An objective is always on the test, and I have to go digging through the book to find the info I need rather than only read the chapter and retain basically nothing. I have an internet-addled attention span, and I don't really know how to effectively take notes from text. It's all important to me, otherwise it surely wouldn't be here, so nothing's important, nothing stands out, nothing is retained.

Hopefully by the end I have a binder full of notes that will give me confidence to keep going and to eventually take the test.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

skooma512 posted:

I took all the ICND1 objectives and put them on a page individually, essentially making them essay prompts. I'm going to put them in a binder and fill them with notes.

This will hopefully solve my habit of aimlessly studying and anxiety around wasted time. An objective is always on the test, and I have to go digging through the book to find the info I need rather than only read the chapter and retain basically nothing. I have an internet-addled attention span, and I don't really know how to effectively take notes from text. It's all important to me, otherwise it surely wouldn't be here, so nothing's important, nothing stands out, nothing is retained.

Hopefully by the end I have a binder full of notes that will give me confidence to keep going and to eventually take the test.
Got a link to that sheet?

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

https://learningnetwork.cisco.com/community/certifications/ccna/icnd1/exam-topics

The Illusive Man
Mar 27, 2008

~savior of yoomanity~

skooma512 posted:

Have you tried any video courses yet? I personally learn better in a lecture format than reading directly from a textbook, and found Pluralsight’s video course for the ICND1 very useful. Then I recommend using the book to flesh out details around the official objective list.

I’m not sure if Professor Messer has a course for the ICND1 yet, but it might be worth looking into paid options.

MrKatharsis
Nov 29, 2003

feel the bern
Just passed my RHCE on the second try. I made one really bone headed mistake on the first attempt (forgot to enable mariadb) that resulted in a narrow fail, but this time I did a lot better on all sections, so I had a points buffer. Failing was miserable but having to really learn the material was a very good thing in the end.

Old Grasshopper
Apr 7, 2011

"Patience, young grasshopper."
That’s a great outcome - and it is more about really knowing the material in the end, rather than just passing the exam.

Well done! :eng101:

The Illusive Man
Mar 27, 2008

~savior of yoomanity~
Would you all recommend obtaining the CCNA for someone not completely sold on a networking career? I earned the CCENT last year and I'm trying to get back into the studying grind, but can't settle on where I want to focus. The CCNA seems a natural progression since I'm halfway there, but also seems like a lot of work if I'm not sold on trying to become a network engineer.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

A lot of the CCNA knowledge will be very useful to you even if you decide to go down a sysadmin or security path, so it’s certainly not a waste of time.

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

Space Racist posted:

Would you all recommend obtaining the CCNA for someone not completely sold on a networking career? I earned the CCENT last year and I'm trying to get back into the studying grind, but can't settle on where I want to focus. The CCNA seems a natural progression since I'm halfway there, but also seems like a lot of work if I'm not sold on trying to become a network engineer.

If you’ve already done the first half there’s no reason not to finish.

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

There's not much in the OP about the ITIL certification and it seems like I need to get this on top of my 15 years of IT service experience, yada yada, management degree, yada yada, certifications, yada, and knowing how to speak to and do all the bullshit involved in ITIL....

:sigh:

Can anybody give me a summary of what I'm in for in order to get at least the ITIL foundation certification?

Tryzzub
Jan 1, 2007

Mudslide Experiment
I haven’t taken it yet, but from my observations it just requires 26/40 on the exam, and the training center I used for CCNA offers a 2 day course For ITIL foundation, so I suspect it’s one of the easier ones to knock out.

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

I took v3 Foundation 10 years ago. It was relatively easy to pass. Memorization of what constitutes Service Transition versus Service Delivery, etc..

It doesn't expire but I'm looking to refresh it when the v4 Foundation exam comes out later this year.

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

I did a 4 (maybe 5 day?) bootcamp class for the ITIL foundations test, paid for by my old jobo, took it at the end and passed with 28/40

My story: I slept through half the class each day because I had a 2.5hr commute each way on top of working late into the night when I got home. I barely read the study material they gave us, which was a giant book of powerpoint slides printed out. I was basically guessing my way through the test; it's not hard, just learn some of their terms and you'll be fine.

LochNessMonster
Feb 3, 2005

I need about three fitty

Took ITIL v3 10 years ago and studied it myself from a book. Was boring as hell and the hardest part was staying awake while reading the book. Not going to renew with v4 unless someone pays me a lot of money to put up with that crap.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

skooma512 posted:

That would be awesome.

Geckoagua posted:

I could use that too. Glad to know I'm not the only one suffering fire hose fatigue.

Sorry, I was out of town.

I uploaded the Pacing Guides here: https://welp.im/share/

Jedi425
Dec 6, 2002

THOU ART THEE ART THOU STICK YOUR HAND IN THE TV DO IT DO IT DO IT

Bigass Moth posted:

If you’ve already done the first half there’s no reason not to finish.

Speaking as a network guy myself I really fuckin' appreciate when a non-network guy knows enough to speak sense to me. Saves us both a ton of time.

Passed my CCNP SWITCH this weekend, 868/1000. Why Cisco thinks I need to memorize the TCP port that TACACS operates on for every drat test is beyond me. At least now I only have TSHOOT to go. Anyone taken it recently?

Mouse Cadet
Mar 19, 2009

All aboard the McEltrain
Next Stop: Atlanta

LochNessMonster posted:

Took ITIL v3 10 years ago and studied it myself from a book. Was boring as hell and the hardest part was staying awake while reading the book. Not going to renew with v4 unless someone pays me a lot of money to put up with that crap.

Buy a study guide off amazon, study for a few weeks, passing should be no problem.

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

hello bonjour, en francais we call the bread man l'homme de pain, because pain means bread and we're going to see a lot of pain this year and every nyrfan is looking forward to it and hey tony, can you wait until after my postgame interview to get on your phone? i thought you quit twitter...

Docjowles posted:

A lot of the CCNA knowledge will be very useful to you even if you decide to go down a sysadmin or security path, so it’s certainly not a waste of time.

Jedi425 posted:

Speaking as a network guy myself I really fuckin' appreciate when a non-network guy knows enough to speak sense to me. Saves us both a ton of time.

Agreed. There are enough jobs that overlap/interact that it's a good asset. The sysadmins and security guys who don't know networking can be really difficult to work with.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
I have had a CWNA (not Cisco, this is the vendor-neutral wireless one) book sitting on my shelf for a few months now because I bought it blind on Amazon and my jaw dropped when I took it out of the box and it was drat near 1000 pages. I finally cracked it open and it's pretty good so far but man that is a lot of material, especially when the test is only 60 questions. I can't imagine they can cover any significant portion of this material. Anyone gone through it and have anything to say about it? I looked at the CWS and CWT marketing blurbs (they're killing CWTS, so those are the only options lower than CWNA), but I already do a fair amount of wireless stuff and it looks like most of that might be stuff I already know.

Jedi425 posted:

Passed my CCNP SWITCH this weekend, 868/1000. Why Cisco thinks I need to memorize the TCP port that TACACS operates on for every drat test is beyond me. At least now I only have TSHOOT to go. Anyone taken it recently?

Prepping for CCNP SWITCH still myself, never did get any recommendations on study materials. Any advice?

Jedi425
Dec 6, 2002

THOU ART THEE ART THOU STICK YOUR HAND IN THE TV DO IT DO IT DO IT

guppy posted:

Prepping for CCNP SWITCH still myself, never did get any recommendations on study materials. Any advice?

The OCG is better here than it is on ROUTE, but they will still hit you with the ol' Cisco rope-a-dope. Know the different Etherchannel negotiation settings and which ones match which protocols. Know which protocols are open and which are Cisco, because the questions and sims will say things like ‘using an industry standard protocol' and expect you to configure accordingly. Know the different FHRP methods very well. I ended up taking the Cisco class with some about to expire training certificates and found the labs helpful, so I imagine the VIRL for SWITCH is decent. All the AAA stuff from ROUTE applies here too. Who knows why they care about what TCP port TACACS uses on a test about goddamn switches, but I did get questions about that and not as many as I expected about STP. :iiam:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chaka
Apr 20, 2011

Jedi425 posted:

I took tshoot in 2017. I am not aware of any changes in the exam since then.

You will get about 10 multiple choice questions just like in the exams before. I remember them asking very specific niche knowledge from route and switch topics.

The rest of the exam consists of simlets. All of them use the same topology that you can find on the Cisco page / Google.
There is even an example simlet on the Cisco page - I remember it being broken and the answers incorrect but at least you get an idea what you are going to see during the exam.

For my ccnp, I manly used the official books and bought the Chris Bryant course on udemy for about 30€.
Packet tracer does not have all the necessary features for ccnp, so I build the tshoot topology in virl. Today I'd recommend eve-NG. I ran into too many problems with the virl vm itself (breaks on update, never clears stopped topology so you have ghost routers running...).
For the exam you want to develop a strategy how you are going to find the faulty device. Traceroute is your friend.
When I took the exam, I saw a post on reddit(?) that said that in some simlets there was a bug with dhcp and end clients - the client not getting an ip but the config being right. So I chose a different device to do my tracing and isolating if it was a layer 2 or 3 problem.