Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Flavivirus
Dec 14, 2011

The next stage of evolution.

Elector_Nerdlingen posted:

Same on both counts. Reading's different from watching/listening and I do enough of the latter IRL to be able to watch heavy stuff like that in my spare time. Can someone who has watched it please briefly summarise? I get it if nobody wants to.

Basically... back when Shane wasn’t presenting as male, he was in an abusive relationship with Devon Oratz. They made games together, it was when they went to GenCon that they encountered the McFarlands via an IGDN booth share arrangement (from which the McFarlands and MDT apparently pocketed the profits and left Shane and Devon with only costs). Matt seemed to intentionally antagonise Devon and direct his aggression towards Shane, and it spiralled from there. Things like Devon smashing Shane’s framed degree and pissing on it, choking him, sending abusive emails in Shane’s name to Matt which Matt then used to exile Shane from TTRPG publishing, and far worse. It seems like yet another example of the IGDN failing its members and creating an environment for abuse.

Oh, by the way, I know this because Holden went through the effort of transcribing this - something I’m sure you can appreciate wasn’t easy. Say what you like about him, but he’s been putting in a lot of work this past week to make sure word gets out about the abusers in our community and making sure victims get support (eg promoting Luka’s GoFundMe, which you folks should check out).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

Thank you.

Sion
Oct 16, 2004

"I'm the boss of space. That's plenty."

Kurieg posted:

How?

How?

edit - now having scrolled to the bottom of this thread: what the gently caress is wrong with this industry jesus christ.

Sion fucked around with this message at 10:43 on Feb 19, 2019

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
This 'industry' for the most part hasn't so much grown as it has congealed.

PST
Jul 5, 2012

If only Milliband had eaten a vegan sausage roll instead of a bacon sandwich, we wouldn't be in this mess.
Mentzer has been removed as guest of honour from Gary Con. Given they didn't do it for last year, despite it being after his harassment and lovely behaviour came out, it's got to be because of the ongoing campaign by Contessa/Others to shame them into doing it. Apparently noted assaulter and drunken frat boy-imitator Bill Webb stepped down as a guest of honour in December.

Paizo didn't take any action against either

https://garycon.com/blog/2019/02/18/harbinger-unheeded/

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

On another note, maybe we should do our own awards. The Awfuls. Main requirement for being considered is to not be Awful.

PST
Jul 5, 2012

If only Milliband had eaten a vegan sausage roll instead of a bacon sandwich, we wouldn't be in this mess.

Angrymog posted:

On another note, maybe we should do our own awards. The Awfuls. Main requirement for being considered is to not be Awful.

Already significantly better than the Ennies

gourdcaptain
Nov 16, 2012

http://theonyxpath.com/about-matt-mcfarland/

Don't have the time to make much comments on this or quote it on mobile, but Onyx Path saying something about reviewing the Matt McFarland material they have yet to publish and considering taking actions about his previously published work?

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

gourdcaptain posted:

Don't have the time to make much comments on this or quote it on mobile, but Onyx Path saying something about reviewing the Matt McFarland material they have yet to publish and considering taking actions about his previously published work?

Basically, yeah. They're also putting out a harassment policy for freelancers to try and head this off in the future, which frankly they should've done a long time ago.

And in the comments some dude is shouting about due process and how this article is slander, and it's...well, it's the standard bullshit.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Concerned OPP Poster posted:

Um..I don’t think he was saying anything of the sort, just expressing the importance of due process.

Scumbag or not, if we are going to start arbitrarily dismissing due process we might as well overturn the drum and sharpen the executioner’s axe.

(Screaming internally)

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Yep, this was exactly the one. Thanks!

actually3raccoons
Jun 5, 2013

Dawgstar posted:

(Screaming internally)

Yeah, there are a few of these on the WhiteWolf subreddit, as well. I was happily surprised to see that they'd been heavily downvoted.

Warthur
May 2, 2004

gourdcaptain posted:

Action taken about his previously published work may be difficult. At least in some jurisdictions, copyright also comes with a set of "moral rights" - like, if you are the author of something you have the moral right to be credited with it. Unless Matt is willing to play ball on it, for instance, it may be difficult to simply take his name off Demon without excising and replacing all the text he wrote.

Then again, Demon might do with a 1.5 edition which integrates the rules into the text like a regular ChroD game does, since at the moment it's the only one of the "god machine wave" of Chronicles of Darkness games which isn't ready-to-play in one book (you still need core ChroD or the original NWoD rulebook to run it). It's a chore which was going to come up sooner or later to stop it increasingly looking like an odd duck, maybe this is a reason to push it up the priority list.

actually3raccoons
Jun 5, 2013

Warthur posted:

Action taken about his previously published work may be difficult. At least in some jurisdictions, copyright also comes with a set of "moral rights" - like, if you are the author of something you have the moral right to be credited with it. Unless Matt is willing to play ball on it, for instance, it may be difficult to simply take his name off Demon without excising and replacing all the text he wrote.

Then again, Demon might do with a 1.5 edition which integrates the rules into the text like a regular ChroD game does, since at the moment it's the only one of the "god machine wave" of Chronicles of Darkness games which isn't ready-to-play in one book (you still need core ChroD or the original NWoD rulebook to run it). It's a chore which was going to come up sooner or later to stop it increasingly looking like an odd duck, maybe this is a reason to push it up the priority list.

I totally agree that they shouldn't just strip his credits, unless he consents to it. :ironicat:

When I read their statement it sounded more like "We're going to see if we can afford to have someone else write material to replace what his work, and the re-release the books." than engaging with MM in any way, but I can't say for certain.

Desiden
Mar 13, 2016

Mindless self indulgence is SRS BIZNS

Dawgstar posted:

(Screaming internally)

Stupid and disgusting as those assholes are, its worth pointing out that there's basically 2 of them in the comments, and every other reply has been "you're a loving idiot who only tries this poo poo when its a white dude, and also here's why crying "due process" doesn't apply here".

Speaking more broadly than just individual cases, I'm getting the sense that the community as a whole is just fed up with this bullshit. With an added side of becoming savvier on how to counter the lovely talking points of the chuds over the last two years.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

Flavivirus posted:

Basically... back when Shane wasn’t presenting as male, he was in an abusive relationship with Devon Oratz. They made games together, it was when they went to GenCon that they encountered the McFarlands via an IGDN booth share arrangement (from which the McFarlands and MDT apparently pocketed the profits and left Shane and Devon with only costs). Matt seemed to intentionally antagonise Devon and direct his aggression towards Shane, and it spiralled from there. Things like Devon smashing Shane’s framed degree and pissing on it, choking him, sending abusive emails in Shane’s name to Matt which Matt then used to exile Shane from TTRPG publishing, and far worse. It seems like yet another example of the IGDN failing its members and creating an environment for abuse.

Oh, by the way, I know this because Holden went through the effort of transcribing this - something I’m sure you can appreciate wasn’t easy. Say what you like about him, but he’s been putting in a lot of work this past week to make sure word gets out about the abusers in our community and making sure victims get support (eg promoting Luka’s GoFundMe, which you folks should check out).

Russell Zimmerman, one of the current Shadowrun writers, popped into a thread over on Reddit about this as well:

quote:

On the Shadowrun front, Devon was fired for reasons only tangentially related (he was in a tailspin and part of that tailspin was lashing out at his partner, while other parts of it were just being increasingly caustic and unprofessional elsewhere), but I made Jason aware of Shane and Devon's history when Shane first went only-semi-public, and he's made it clear he won't be hiring Devon back under any circumstances.

The last week or so of industry dumpster fires -- respect for Mandy and Zak's other victims, and the emotional whiplash of the McFarlands being outted -- has made Shane feel he had to come forward and be more open about his abuse. Prior to this, Shane's request was kind of a "friends only" level; but as someone who was in that loop a year or two back, as someone who collaborated with Devon and Shane on multiple projects for a friendship spanning roughly a decade, and as someone who -- towards the end -- was turning down very lucrative offers from Devon (who was freely spending Shane's money and offering me about triple the going freelancer rate) because of his erratic behavior, I just want to say something with absolute clarity: I have every single loving reason to believe Shane, and I have literally lost sleep blaming myself for not spotting some of the signs earlier.

Because there were signs there, but it's easy to tell yourself "Oh, he's just being snappy and she's just looking that exhausted because it's GenCon and we're getting old, lol," or "Well, that email from Shane says Shane is okay" (not knowing Devon was controlling that line of communication), or "Devon's being an rear end in a top hat to everyone lately, but he must be okay, or Shane wouldn't be with him."

And then you loving kick yourself, because it turns out a dear friend was being beaten, strangled, and abused in a half dozen other ways, right under your nose.

I don't...have it in me to talk much more about this right now. I want to, for Shane's sake, I want to tell more stories about my interactions with these two, and about how some other industry 'professionals' treated them, and how it contributed to Devon getting worse, and worse. Now that Shane has asked his friends to signal boost, I dearly want to share more of what I can share, because it's been really hard to stay quiet about this, and because words are the only thing I've ever got to try and help people with.

But, because God doesn't love us and everything is awful right now, my wife's in the hospital and has been since an ER visit yesterday afternoon. And even just spending five minutes typing this feels awful, because I gotta take care of our dogs and get my rear end back to her room while we wait for her turn to get some testing done and stuff.

So, anyways. When I can, I'll talk to Shane real quick, and let him know about this thread, and maybe he'll swing by, if folks feel like they need or want to know more.

PST
Jul 5, 2012

Desiden posted:

Stupid and disgusting as those assholes are, its worth pointing out that there's basically 2 of them in the comments, and every other reply has been "you're a loving idiot who only tries this poo poo when its a white dude, and also here's why crying "due process" doesn't apply here".

Speaking more broadly than just individual cases, I'm getting the sense that the community as a whole is just fed up with this bullshit. With an added side of becoming savvier on how to counter the lovely talking points of the chuds over the last two years.

The reddit thread on it is worse

https://www.reddit.com/r/WhiteWolfRPG/comments/as6cre/about_matt_mcfarland/

Albeit it's reddit, gamergate and MGTOW and redpill and everything else, but there's a lot more people there doing the typical bullshit and some brigading and so on. There's a general gently caress :reddit: here isn't there?

Warthur
May 2, 2004

actually3raccoons posted:

When I read their statement it sounded more like "We're going to see if we can afford to have someone else write material to replace what his work, and the re-release the books." than engaging with MM in any way, but I can't say for certain.
I guess the major decision to make is "Is it even viable to salvage Beast at this point, or are we just better off discontinuing the line and writing it off as too botched to be worth saving?"

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

I don't get why people want to save Beast? There are some good scraps here and there for sure, but does it really justify a fully playable game line that you can run for your friends?

I can totally see using a Beast as a Werewolf antagonist in the form of alien horror that is manipulating local Pure Tribes or something along those lines. What else would you even want to use them for where they couldn't just be a evil spirit or something?

Warthur
May 2, 2004

Lord_Hambrose posted:

I don't get why people want to save Beast? There are some good scraps here and there for sure, but does it really justify a fully playable game line that you can run for your friends?
I certainly don't see much point in conserving it myself and my instinct is "now's the perfect time to kill it".

On the other hand, I'm not OPP and I don't have to keep good relations with those freelancers who haven't shat the bed. Nor am I an OPP freelancer who's used professional time on Beast trying to salvage the dang thing. I think if OPP were going to cancel it they'd want to do it with a reasonably careful approach so as not to make it look like they were denigrating any of the freelancers who'd worked on it needlessly, and they might also need to reach some sort of accommodation with anyone who's currently got unpaid time on the clock for Beast writing which won't see the light of day due to the cancellation.

EDIT: I mean, current state of the game line certainly feels like a "soft cancellation" in that IIRC there's nothing new planned for it, but on the other hand there's been no cancellation announcement and the thing's still available to buy. At this stage it might be time to shift gear to "hard cancellation".

Warthur fucked around with this message at 17:28 on Feb 19, 2019

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

Lord_Hambrose posted:

I can totally see using a Beast as a Werewolf antagonist in the form of alien horror that is manipulating local Pure Tribes or something along those lines. What else would you even want to use them for where they couldn't just be a evil spirit or something?

There's nothing in beast worth saving. Every "good" thing that beast does is stolen from another game line. They aren't all in the same place like they are in Beast, but they don't work well together so that's kind of the problem.

If you want to 'salvage' beast you'd have to burn it to the ground and start over to get rid of the slime and the bad connotations and at that point why even bother.

hyphz
Aug 5, 2003

Number 1 Nerd Tear Farmer 2022.

Keep it up, champ.

Also you're a skeleton warrior now. Kree.
Unlockable Ben

Angrymog posted:

If you want to see a mismanaged kickstarter, look for saga worldbuilder

Aka, why every Kickstarter needs to include a section in their Risks on "what will you do when your manufacturers backstab you?"

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках
I mean at this point isn't it pretty much 'don't manufacture in China unless you have someone on the ground there who's already in the business' anyway?

actually3raccoons
Jun 5, 2013

Warthur posted:

I guess the major decision to make is "Is it even viable to salvage Beast at this point, or are we just better off discontinuing the line and writing it off as too botched to be worth saving?"

That's a biggie, along with other books he has content in, even if he isn't lead dev. I could swear he had a large part in C20, along with his NWoD portfolio. There may be no good (ie. legal, moral, and cost effective) means of removing/replacing his text in those books.

Does Beast have any upcoming release obligations? If not, I wouldn't be surprised if the line was quietly shelved for the foreseeable future.

PST
Jul 5, 2012

peak :reddit:

quote:

Statutory Rape is a crime that varies wildly state to state (in Nebraska the age of consent is 19, others it is 16). So just hearing statutory rape without further details isn't going to raise my moral hackles, but even if he had consensual sex with a 15 year old at 26 while it's inappropriate and wrong it doesn't warrant lifetime exclusion from his profession as an RPG writer.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

huh Rob Lowe plays TRPGs

slap me and kiss me
Apr 1, 2008

You best protect ya neck
https://twitter.com/Wizards_DnD/status/1097904200401354752

Spoiler: it's still bad.

actually3raccoons
Jun 5, 2013

There is no depth they won’t sink to.

PST
Jul 5, 2012

A) Mearls has lied to management and not told them the truth
B) Mearls has admitted what he did, and this is their attempt to whitewash it

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

I just need 'ephebophilia not pedophilia' for the bingo.

PST
Jul 5, 2012

Dawgstar posted:

I just need 'ephebophilia not pedophilia' for the bingo.

I got this:

quote:

A person having a relationship with at 15/16 yo when they are 26 is inappropriate, but it's not pedophilia, it's not violent rape and it shouldn't be treated as though it was equivalent.

Which of course no one was saying other than this poo poo head moving the goalposts, but is that close enough?

https://www.reddit.com/r/WhiteWolfRPG/comments/as6cre/about_matt_mcfarland/egtdrod/?context=3

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Side note: the woman who accused Matt of raping her when she was a minor was very clear on that it was rape.

PST
Jul 5, 2012

Mors Rattus posted:

Side note: the woman who accused Matt of raping her when she was a minor was very clear on that it was rape.

Yeah I know, but assorted reddit types (see above and keep searching from there) are really keen on how it's nor rape if they're overage, or it's not rape if he hasn't actually confessed and all the other bullshit.

I don't know if it's brigading from the MGTOW or red pill bullshit, but there's been this ongoing thing with zak and now matt about how obviously the fee-males deserve it, and it's far worse to accuse a man of anything.

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

PST posted:

I don't know if it's brigading from the MGTOW or red pill bullshit, but there's been this ongoing thing with zak and now matt about how obviously the fee-males deserve it, and it's far worse to accuse a man of anything.
It is and it's also tactics learned from Gamergate. There is very high overlap in the MGTOW, PUA redpill, MRA and cis white gamers with chan experience department and as a result they will often borrow each other's tactics of DARVO, move the goalposts, appeal to emotion with no substantial proof and harass/assault.

Vox Valentine fucked around with this message at 19:15 on Feb 19, 2019

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Can Reddit do anything about their experts on legal child-loving? It's not a good look.

PST
Jul 5, 2012

moths posted:

Can Reddit do anything about their experts on legal child-loving? It's not a good look.

They had to be dragged kicking and screaming by international media attention into banning the subreddits that were outright advertising child porn

On the other hand, they're currently all over anything corporations don't like and might hassle them over

Darwinism
Jan 6, 2008

It's essentially the same as Mearls' statement only with the really obvious lie about Zak's involvement slightly changed, good job Wizards :thumbsup:

Elephant Parade
Jan 20, 2018

Until Mike Mearls personally apologizes for his defence of Zak Smith, no D&D Team statement is worth reading.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!
It's an incredibly disgusting response because they aren't actually donating anything to RAIN, just putting it's name there in hopes you'll draw a connection between them and WotC that doesn't exist. They are doing actually less then nothing - they're letting someone else do something, and are trying to take credit for it after they assisted zak.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Desiden
Mar 13, 2016

Mindless self indulgence is SRS BIZNS

moths posted:

I'm sure the corporation as a whole could if they want to, but their statements have tended to be whatever mix of ideological "we shouldn't cut out voices ever no matter how toxic" bullshit and the corporate desire to not have to spend the money that would be required to moderate their userbase.

In practice, individual subreddits are moderated in vastly different ways. So one subreddit might be a free for all, where another diligently boots dipshits and downvotes trolls. Its kind of all over the place.