Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE

Constellation I posted:

That is fantastic loving news on the 34GK950F. I almost pulled the trigger again on the 3418DW, but the LG or any other manufacturer using its panel will definitely be my next monitor.

EDIT: Also, input lag is super noticeable if you play fighting games. The most practical test for his use case is a Leo Bodnar tester, which tests for input lag at 60 Hz with vsync on. (which 99% of fighting games are).

So Evil Canadian:

The only website that tests these on a big enough scale is displaylag.com. Other review sites have different methodology and they will likely be testing input lag based on refresh rates > 60Hz (usually the highest refresh rate or the average across its range). You'll have to read each review and hopefully they have their methodology listed so you know what you're comparing. BlurBusters and TFTCentral is good for these, but they don't usually focus on 60Hz with Vsync testing.

https://www.rtings.com/monitor/tests/inputs/input-lag

Sort by "native resolution @ 60Hz". Since they're measuring time from a computer event to the first visible pixel reaction in the center of the screen, I would not expect to see anything under 8.5-ish ms here. The scanout time at 60Hz is 16.6ms, so if you're measuring in the center of the screen with zero input lag, 8ms is about the earliest time you can possibly expect to see a pixel update start there (and that's why you need high refresh rate). The 6ms figure for the Samsung CJ791 is very weird and is possibly an error of some kind - it should not ordinarily be possible. It's pretty funny to me that the HP 22cwa (which is one of the cheapest 1080p IPS monitors you can buy) is a chart topper here.

Also, if you're running with Vsync enabled you have at least one but more likely two (or sometimes three) frames of lag on the console/computer side, unless consoles have some magic Vsync where they write to the framebuffer at the same rate as the scanout, just behind the vblank. I doubt they do, though, since it's all unified 3D API's everywhere now. TV's have tended to have some terrible input lag (mostly originating with lovely scalers and deinterlacers and various other image processing, I'd guess), but gaming-oriented monitors (or just really cheap ones without any attempts at fancy image processing) generally don't have much in the way of noticeable input lag.

fake edit: The new smash bros for the switch seems to be using triple buffering (very common for vsync these days) and has ~90ms of input lag just on the console side, before taking the screen into account at all. At that level, I'd definitely agree that it should be noticeable to many experienced players, but it's also at the level where it's completely pointless to try to look for a monitor with 2-3ms less input lag. It does literally nothing since everything is already complete and irredeemable rear end. Just get a LG 27UK650 or something, it's got no input lag to speak of and doesn't have too much motion blur.

fake edit 2: googled some more and holy lol, who considers four frames of input lag at 60Hz "good", what in the actual gently caress

For comparison, on PC, with variable refresh rate or with v-sync off, you can easily get down to two frames from input to screen update even with a 60Hz monitor. Esports pros play at 240Hz with less than 15ms average input lag. Those are the guys I was talking about earlier who might care about a 2-3ms difference in input lag.

TheFluff fucked around with this message at 00:35 on Feb 19, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lags
Jan 3, 2004

Okay hopefully someone can help me either change my mind or be at ease :)

I just picked up an ASUS VG279Q for $429CAD and I love it. I was wary at the time that the pixel density would be low for 27" and to some degree it is, especially with fonts, but in the few games I play (GW2, WoW occasionally, and some RTS games) it looks gorgeous. Primary reason I went this route was for the 144Hz refresh and the IPS panel.

Further browsing has led me to the ASUS VP28UQG and at 50-60$ cheaper (sale right now for $389CAD) I'm wondering if I'm not just setting myself up for disappointment with the lower res screen? I got an RTX2060 to go along with it - I believe this is enough horsepower for 4k? Any input would be appreciated as I have about another 10 days to exchange.

Thanks!

NoDamage
Dec 2, 2000

TheFluff posted:

Yeah, the 34GK950G seems completely pointless now. Worse refresh rate, no 10-bit color, no sRGB emulation mode and no blur reduction mode (as bad as it might be, some people might still want it). I guess it might have very slightly faster response time? And it's got a higher MSRP.
It looks like the 34GK950G is currently on sale for $999 though. Is it worth an extra $200 to get the F model over the G model?

Beautiful Ninja
Mar 26, 2009

Five time FCW Champion...of my heart.

NoDamage posted:

It looks like the 34GK950G is currently on sale for $999 though. Is it worth an extra $200 to get the F model over the G model?

I'd get the Alienware AW3418DW over the 34GK950G at this point, since you can find the former for 799 on sale regularly nowadays. It was the previous king of the hill Ultrawide before the 34GK950F came into the scene. The 34GK950G has the same panel as the F, but it is so heavily bottlenecked by the G-Sync module included that it's really not any different from the Alienware. Colors might be a bit better, but that's really it.

FWIW I was willing to spend the extra 200 bucks to buy the 34GK950F when it was on sale for 1000 dollars over the Alienware that was on sale for 800 at the time I purchased my monitor. But I wouldn't have been willing to spend 400 extra dollars at current AW3418DW and 34GK950F prices.

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

I'm really jealous of US prices of Dell stuff. The cheapest AW3418DW got in Poland ever was 966 € (usually $ = € when you add VAT). Rest of EU is similar. I've considered shipping from US, but then if I got a defective panel the trip back would eat all the savings. And returned products are a bitch to declare at tolls..

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

Speaking of LG monitors, I'm really looking forward to their 144hz nano LED monitors coming out in Q3 2019.

http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/blog/lg-27gl850g-27-gaming-display-with-160hz-nano-ips-panel-and-g-sync/

Constellation I
Apr 3, 2005
I'm a sucker, a little fucker.
Hell yeah, that's the only monitor I'm looking out for at this point. Other than waiting for the 34" version to go on sale in Canada. (or for sale rather, can't even get it here yet)

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Just pulled the trigger on an AW3418DW, finally! Got the price down to $850USD with coupons, not bad for Canada. Normally quite a bit higher.

Now to get a new GPU.. Thinking RTX 2070, for the additional VRAM over the 2060 for future proof-ness.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

alex314 posted:

I'm really jealous of US prices of Dell stuff. The cheapest AW3418DW got in Poland ever was 966 € (usually $ = € when you add VAT). Rest of EU is similar. I've considered shipping from US, but then if I got a defective panel the trip back would eat all the savings. And returned products are a bitch to declare at tolls..

Go for a vacation to the US and smuggle it back in! That's what I do with all my tech stuff, the last being the Samsung Odyssey VR headset innocently crammed into my backpack.

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

priznat posted:

Just pulled the trigger on an AW3418DW, finally! Got the price down to $850USD with coupons, not bad for Canada. Normally quite a bit higher.

Now to get a new GPU.. Thinking RTX 2070, for the additional VRAM over the 2060 for future proof-ness.

You've probably already heard that in other threads, but 2080 or used 1080ti are the best bets for a couple of years of high quality 1440 gaming.

I didn't get AW3418DW, because the shop I've ordered in had 0% real yearly rate finance for it, and when I got to sign papers they tried to sneak in "insurance". Asked if I can take the product without it, got denied, screw them. Now I try to justify 250$ extra for 34gk950f :homebrew:

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Yeah gonna have a go of it with my gtx 970 and if it is too bad I’ll look at the options.. hopefully something cheaper than a 2080, yikes!

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

I ran a 980ti with a 4790k at around 100fps 1440p for a couple years for what that's worth. High settings with the most demanding things knocked down a few notches.

eames
May 9, 2009

VelociBacon posted:

I ran a 980ti with a 4790k at around 100fps 1440p for a couple years for what that's worth. High settings with the most demanding things knocked down a few notches.

The GTX1660ti will have very similar performance so it is still a decent card if you ignore the Youtube 4K Ultra benchmark crowd. Even the amount of VRAM is identical. I guess that card aged quite well.

Ika
Dec 30, 2004
Pure insanity

I'm about to pull the trigger on a Lenovo ThinkVision P32u-10, mostly for coding and photo work, some lightweight gaming. I'm replacing a 27" Dell U2711 with it, is there any reason not to grab it? Reviews sound good aside from the lack of 144hz support which I don't really care about.

BearPlayingGuitar
Nov 30, 2011
Are there any recommendations for dual monitor arms? I have two nixeus 27” monitors which are pretty light weight.

There just seems to be a lot of different brands running around and I’m looking for some gas spring arms that won’t cost a tremendous amount of money.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?
Does anyone have a good reference on what "IPS-level" really means when laptop companies advertise it on their 144Hz panels? It strikes me as a cagey way of saying "It's really TN and crap, but it's more than 20% sRGB so we'll just call it IPS-level." Is this right, or is it really a thing?

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

That sounds about right.

quote:

You should note that “IPS-level” usually means a TN display and although MSI’s TN panels are a lot better than what you get from the average one, it is still a TN panel. Sometimes it happens that the specs sheet on a retailer’s or manufacturer’s website lists the display of a notebook as IPS when in fact it is “IPS-level”. Maybe some do it by mistake other on purpose, however, you should always do your research before committing to your purchase.

Although “IPS-level” is not really IPS it does not necessarily mean that it is bad. We have reviewed two MSI models with such a display and we can say that they are quite good. You can check out MSI GE63VR 7RF Raider’s review and MSI GS73VR 7RF Stealth Pro’s review and judge for yourselves.

Womyn Capote
Jul 5, 2004

Could use a good suggestion for a 1440p gaming monitor to go with my new 2070. I do need it to be able to tilt downward a little bit too. Its very confusing looking for monitors these days.

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE

Womyn Capote posted:

Could use a good suggestion for a 1440p gaming monitor to go with my new 2070. I do need it to be able to tilt downward a little bit too. Its very confusing looking for monitors these days.
What's your budget?

Standard 16:9: Acer XV272UP or Asus PG279QZ are probably your best bets - the cheaper options like the Acer VG270UP or VG271UP probably don't have a stand with the options you want.
Ultrawide: Dell AW3418DW is still good but getting challenged by the LG 34GK950F which is the new holder of the title "best gaming monitor you can reasonably buy".

Meldonox
Jan 13, 2006

Hey, are you listening to a word I'm saying?
My AW3418DW shows up tomorrow, how exciting. It's a big jump up from what I have in every way, so what should I do to get ready for it? I've grabbed some wallpapers for its resolution, but are there any good utilities I should install or particular configurations I should look into? Also I saw a few caveats for games that look or behave weird at that resolution, but is there anything that's a really cool example of something that should look great on it?

Constellation I
Apr 3, 2005
DisplayFusion is a great one for window management and multi-monitor management if you're going to re-use your old monitor as a secondary display. You may want to look at some Chrome/Firefox extensions for zooming in to badly formatted wide aspect ratio videos on youtube.

Ani
Jun 15, 2001
illum non populi fasces, non purpura regum / flexit et infidos agitans discordia fratres
Looked through the last few pages and didn't see anything, but apologies if I missed it:

Any thoughts on the best 32" 4K monitors for general office use? I don't really care about response time / refresh rate / viewing angle / color accuracy unless they would make ordinary office use significantly less pleasant.

Wirecutter likes the BenQ PD3200U (https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01MY142C0?tag=thewire06-20&linkCode=xm2&ascsubtag=AgEAAAAAAAAAAQZ9AAAAAE_AhdkAAAAAXHBaEw) but it has terrible reviews. Other options seem to be the Viewsonic VP3268-4K, which Wirecutter said wasn't as good, but Amazon likes (https://www.amazon.com/ViewSonic-VP3268-4K-Monitor-Calibration-Photography/dp/B0731LYY9P) or the LG 32UD99-W (https://www.amazon.com/dp/B06XDY3TXW/ref=nav_timeline_asin?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1).

Also, does anyone currently use a 32" 4K monitor without scaling, and if so, how is it? I'm a bit worried that the pixels will be too small, but what I've read online suggests that it should be okay.

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

You will find no one to help you here. Beth DuClare has been dissected and placed in cryonic storage.

I just got a BenQ refurb PD3200U direct from their outlet for $547 with free shipping and I'm very pleased with it.

I haven't tried other 4k monitors though, so I don't have a big frame of reference overall.

Constellation I
Apr 3, 2005
FILTHY AMERICANS:

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1439597-REG/lg_34gk950f_b_34_nano_ips_wqhd.html

The 34GK950F is on sale for $800. They can ship to Canada but I'm not going to risk it with monitors, unfortunately.

NoDamage
Dec 2, 2000

Constellation I posted:

FILTHY AMERICANS:

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1439597-REG/lg_34gk950f_b_34_nano_ips_wqhd.html

The 34GK950F is on sale for $800. They can ship to Canada but I'm not going to risk it with monitors, unfortunately.
Holy poo poo. Looks like LG just updated their website a few minutes ago with the official sale price. Adorama has the sale price as well so I'm going to pull the trigger before they run out of stock. Even better with free 2-day shipping and free returns via Shoprunner.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
So enlighten me as to why the FreeSync 34GK950 is preferable to the G-Sync one (other than the now truly insane price delta)? I'm not in the market as I'm happy with my 3418DW (though I wish it was a later revision), but I've been seeing the "F" SKU recommended over the "G" even for people with nVidia cards.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
Huge price delta is reason enough I'd say?

eames
May 9, 2009

I'd want the Freesync version over the G-Sync version because it gives me the option to switch to a different GPU manufacturer (AMD, soon Intel) without losing variable refresh rates.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Truga posted:

Huge price delta is reason enough I'd say?

Yeah, but even *before* the price drop I saw people recommending the Freesync model.

Green Gloves
Mar 3, 2008
Adorama is temporarily on backorder I had it in my cart with shoprunner while it was in stock so two day shipping and free returns but then it went on backorder I was able to place the order through checkout anyway but shoprunner option went away.

I can wait a bit longer but hopefully this does not gently caress up my free return if needed. Ill give them a call and see what they can do.

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE

BIG HEADLINE posted:

So enlighten me as to why the FreeSync 34GK950 is preferable to the G-Sync one (other than the now truly insane price delta)? I'm not in the market as I'm happy with my 3418DW (though I wish it was a later revision), but I've been seeing the "F" SKU recommended over the "G" even for people with nVidia cards.

They released a firmware update that removed the Freesync variant's ~10ms input lag, so now it's flat out better than the G-sync one in every single way. It has higher refresh rate, more features (10-bit input, blue reduction feature, sRGB color mode) and lower price, with no downsides at all.

Rabid Snake
Aug 6, 2004

Tempted to jump on that ultrawide even though I have a X34 and a normal 1440p 16:9 165hz monitor for gaming.

Luckily it’s back ordered ... I don’t need it but it’s the holy grail of monitors

RME
Feb 20, 2012

TheFluff posted:

If you have a monitor which does at least 120Hz, supports G-sync (or Freesync), and doesn't have some horrendous input lag, you've pretty much got it as good as any person who isn't a literal esports pro should bother getting it. Most of the input lag happens on the computer side (caused by V-sync buffering) and variable refresh rate avoids that, without the unpleasant tearing that disabling V-sync tends to cause. Maybe consoles games are different and locked to 60Hz without buffering though, I dunno.

Pretty much any fighting game I can think of is locked/capped at 60fps

Green Gloves
Mar 3, 2008

Rabid Snake posted:

Tempted to jump on that ultrawide even though I have a X34 and a normal 1440p 16:9 165hz monitor for gaming.

Luckily it’s back ordered ... I don’t need it but it’s the holy grail of monitors

Your Seattle bro is getting in on it. I dont know how many ultrawides Ive owned by now. My X34p is going back for a return (too much blb)!

Cant wait for the extra pop and color of the wide color gamut + HDR looks dope and the monitor just looks a lot better than the predator

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?

Rabid Snake posted:

Wait it's OLED?

dud root
Mar 30, 2008

NoDamage posted:

Holy poo poo. Looks like LG just updated their website a few minutes ago with the official sale price.

Those reviews aren't what I was expecting. One panel has massive IPS glow, and another guy has 2 monitors with vertical dead strips. Probably damage from shipping though?

Womyn Capote
Jul 5, 2004

Is IPS really worth it over TN for a 27" 1440p monitory for gaming? The backlight glare thing worries me. Considering the ASUS ROG PG279Q

wargames
Mar 16, 2008

official yospos cat censor

Womyn Capote posted:

Is IPS really worth it over TN for a 27" 1440p monitory for gaming? The backlight glare thing worries me. Considering the ASUS ROG PG279Q

TN is terrible always go IPS over TN.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Womyn Capote posted:

The backlight concerns I've read about seem mostly overblown and pale in comparison to the horrible TN issues.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KS
Jun 10, 2003
Outrageous Lumpwad
Thread zeitgeist is definitely IPS > all, but if you have a place you can try them out, it's worth doing. Play a space shooter if that's your thing. Lasers on black is where you'd notice ghosting the most.

Just came from a PG278Q to the Alienware 34" and am struggling with the IPS glow and the comparatively inferior anti glare coating. It's going back. Hopefully this LG new hotness is better. Thanks thread for forcing me to upgrade to a 2080 from my venerable 980 ti so I can use freesync.