Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

Coq au Nandos posted:

Get your reputations to tier 6, spend five of the fleet ship modules it gives you to buy a fleet ship. Every canon ship except the Constitution and NX classes are available this way. The downside is fleet ships don’t come with the console or trait you get from a c-store purchase, and don’t unlock across your account.

For upgrading, save your dilithium and wait for the next Phoenix lockbox weekend event. Buy and open a shitload of Phoenix boxes. If you’re incredibly lucky, you’ll get one that gives you a ship but otherwise you’ll wind up with a bunch of Phoenix tokens you can grind down into Phoenix upgrade kits. These don’t cost dilithium to upgrade your gear and are a very efficient way to upgrade. From there, DON’T USE THEM - save them and wait for an upgrade weekend, where they’ll be even more effective at upgrading your poo poo.

I assume that means having to buy master keys off the exchange then? Or are these boxes different somehow?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Hunter Noventa posted:

I assume that means having to buy master keys off the exchange then? Or are these boxes different somehow?

They’re different. It’s an event they run about four or five times a year. You get one box a day and can buy other for dil.

They also hold events maybe three times a year that give a free T6 z store ship. We’re just finishing one now.

If you want a z store ship just grind dil and use that to buy zen. Set up some dil farming alts too. The real way to get dil in this game is via the admiralty system. Getting an alt to 50 to take advantage of that is easy - just make a Jem hadar. There are a handful of useful admiralty ships you can get easy too. One freebee sitting out in space, plus most event ships are account wide unlocks.

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

It seems like an absurd.amount of dilithium needed to buy a single c store ship. Hundreds of thousands I would imagine and you can only refine 8k per day per character as well.

Acer Pilot
Feb 17, 2007
put the 'the' in therapist

:dukedog:

You can transfer Dil between characters too though as long as they're on the same account. I don't think it matters what level they are either.

Better than paying actual money for this game tbh.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Zotix posted:

It seems like an absurd.amount of dilithium needed to buy a single c store ship. Hundreds of thousands I would imagine and you can only refine 8k per day per character as well.

It's certainly a big time investment, but once you get a good admiralty farm running it's not that bad. I make 200-300 zen a day most days from my current admiralty farm.

I'm up to 11k zen in the bank now and still waiting for a sale.

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

So how does one get a decent admiralty farm going?

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Not much now that the dil’hadar exist.

I have a very modest farm and I can reliably get a ship a month if I want to. I haven’t seen anything I wanted since the ViL pack so I’m squatting on a few mil.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

If you want a farm grab your alt cap in jem’hadar. Get them started on admiralty with the random ships they come with. Buy all the shuttles you can for EC. Make the alts the same faction (klink or fed) as your main for now. Keep an eye out for any way to get free ships - you will see promotions occasionally in this thread for example, and there are events etc. Send your alts out to claim the sally ride.

Once you are clicking along start buying zen whenever it’s below 310 or so. Once you have a few hundred if you’re really feeling like you don’t have enough admiralty ships buy some of the cheap poo poo in the z store as long as it’s an account wide unlock.

Before too long you will have enough for a T6 ship at which point your admiralty game starts to snowball.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Cyrano4747 posted:

If you want a farm grab your alt cap in jem’hadar. Get them started on admiralty with the random ships they come with. Buy all the shuttles you can for EC. Make the alts the same faction (klink or fed) as your main for now. Keep an eye out for any way to get free ships - you will see promotions occasionally in this thread for example, and there are events etc. Send your alts out to claim the sally ride.

Once you are clicking along start buying zen whenever it’s below 310 or so. Once you have a few hundred if you’re really feeling like you don’t have enough admiralty ships buy some of the cheap poo poo in the z store as long as it’s an account wide unlock.

Before too long you will have enough for a T6 ship at which point your admiralty game starts to snowball.

Also, be sure to run Temporal Ambassador for the cruiser and card it comes with, and Time and Tide for the Pastak card.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Cythereal posted:

Also, be sure to run Temporal Ambassador for the cruiser and card it comes with, and Time and Tide for the Pastak card.

Yup. Knew I was forgetting a few.

Also be strategic about finishing out all ten levels of admiralty. You’re going to run the ferengi and klink forever because of the dill but all of them give a card when you hit max lvl.

Oh I think there’s also a card at the end of the ViL story line. Garak’s ride. Forgot the name.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

Cyrano4747 posted:

Also be strategic about finishing out all ten levels of admiralty. You’re going to run the ferengi and klink forever because of the dill but all of them give a card when you hit max lvl.

Oh I think there’s also a card at the end of the ViL story line. Garak’s ride. Forgot the name.

It's the CUV Tain. He named it after his father, which is either very sweet, or a hilarious 'gently caress you' to his non-acknowledging dickhead of a dad.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Cythereal posted:

And go to the Narendra system in sector space to pick up the sally ride

https://sto.gamepedia.com/U.S.S._Sally_Ride

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

I'll have to go over all of this when I get home. I have 3 level 60+ characters from the two times I've played but my roster of ships is pretty bad. What should I be looking for for admiralty missions? My two alta that o don't play aside from duty/ admiralty only get like 500ish unrefined dilithium daily. Am I supposed to send unrefined to them?

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Cyrano4747 posted:

The Tain's just for hitting level cap. The reward for finishing ViL was if you did so during the Gamma Recruit event, which got you Odo's Flagship (yes, it doesn't have a name).

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

Yeah I've already got a few alts from playing the game previously, I had a fed and a klinkrom at 50 when I came back. Admiralty actually unlocks at 52, but not hard to get to. I'll have to go pick up the Sally Ride on my main, I already had the Temporal Ambassador cruiser because I was playing when that content released, so I have the actual ship.

I'll probably wipe out one of my other alts for a Jem'hadar if they're good for admiralty farming. Is there anything else to know about making the most of admiralty? My new main bought all the shuttles she could to help there in addition to the ships from leveling...should I at any point say, buy better ships for EC off the exchange (like, Meshweavers or other "cheap" infinity box ships) and scuttle my old ones to do better at admiralty?

And I did get the free T6 for the anniversary. It might be my loadout but I'm still seeing if its better than my d'Kora for regular use. It feels like it needs cannons, but I need to get different Boffs for cannon skills if so. Not a real hardship of course.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

You don't have to actually keep your ships to keep the admiralty cards. Just make sure you open up the admiralty system at least once after getting a ship, whether that be from free leveling tokens or opening a box. It will generate the admiralty card then, after which you can trash it to make room in your roster for poo poo you actually fly.

edit: to give an idea my main has something like . . . 30? admiralty cards right now and no where near that many slots in the garage.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
If you can stand leveling alts, Romulans are the kings of admiralty thanks to getting all their own ships plus all the Fed/Klank ships you pick up in the z-store. Having a bunch of Romulans makes the 6 and 9 pack bundles in the z-store even better values than they already are.

But it also makes cleaning out your garage important. My main has 62 admiralty cards right now. :v: And there are goons with far more.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Cythereal posted:

If you can stand leveling alts, Romulans are the kings of admiralty thanks to getting all their own ships plus all the Fed/Klank ships you pick up in the z-store. Having a bunch of Romulans makes the 6 and 9 pack bundles in the z-store even better values than they already are.

But it also makes cleaning out your garage important. My main has 62 admiralty cards right now. :v: And there are goons with far more.

I agree with you in principle but hoooly poo poo the "set it and forget it" nature of jem hadar really, really makes up for that. Once you have even a modest handful of account unlocks you really don't care about min maxing the packs, at least as far as admiralty cards goes.

Don't get me wrong, I've got rom alts too. Its a cool story line to play through and lots of neat ships to unlock. I just don't see myself ever leveling another one all the way to 52 when I can just roll a Dil'Hadar in like half an hour.

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

I think I would say to my daughters if they were to ask me this question... A shitpost is the greatest gift that you can give someone, the ultimate gift of giving and don't give it to someone lightly, that's what I would say.

Cyrano4747 posted:

I agree with you in principle but hoooly poo poo the "set it and forget it" nature of jem hadar really, really makes up for that. Once you have even a modest handful of account unlocks you really don't care about min maxing the packs, at least as far as admiralty cards goes.

Don't get me wrong, I've got rom alts too. Its a cool story line to play through and lots of neat ships to unlock. I just don't see myself ever leveling another one all the way to 52 when I can just roll a Dil'Hadar in like half an hour.

Yeah Jem’Hadar get most of the benefits of Romulan alts without the tedium of levelling.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
I picked the game up at level 20 after dropping it for three years or so, about two weeks ago, and playing for an hour or two a night I'm at level 58 now. I gain more levels from Duty Officer stuff than I do from missions. I must have had a bunch of XP boosts lined up I guess, but I feel like if levelling were any faster I'd be just hideously lost. Honestly I could do with it calming down a bit.

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

Also, there's XP weekends like, once a month.

Soviet Commubot
Oct 22, 2008

When did they add a damage buff to Scattering Field? It's unexpected but welcome. It'd be really nice if they'd add some buffs to Engineering captain abilities like that.

g0del
Jan 9, 2001

Fun Shoe

Hunter Noventa posted:

Yeah I've already got a few alts from playing the game previously, I had a fed and a klinkrom at 50 when I came back. Admiralty actually unlocks at 52, but not hard to get to. I'll have to go pick up the Sally Ride on my main, I already had the Temporal Ambassador cruiser because I was playing when that content released, so I have the actual ship.

I'll probably wipe out one of my other alts for a Jem'hadar if they're good for admiralty farming. Is there anything else to know about making the most of admiralty? My new main bought all the shuttles she could to help there in addition to the ships from leveling...should I at any point say, buy better ships for EC off the exchange (like, Meshweavers or other "cheap" infinity box ships) and scuttle my old ones to do better at admiralty?

And I did get the free T6 for the anniversary. It might be my loadout but I'm still seeing if its better than my d'Kora for regular use. It feels like it needs cannons, but I need to get different Boffs for cannon skills if so. Not a real hardship of course.
First off, you don't need different boffs for cannon skills - you can teach the cannon skills to your current boffs.

As for admiralty, other people have covered most of the tips, but here's a few more. The first admiralty mission you do daily in each campaign gives bonus XP, so when you're leveling the admiralty campaigns, always run at least one mission in each every day. After that, you want to focus on the klingon and ferengi campaigns, because finishing the 10th tour of duty mission in each gives you 30k dil. Use shuttles as a poor man's skip, throwing them at non-ToD missions that will definitely fail just to get to the ToD missions. Save your high level admiralty cards for the actual tour of duty missions.

If everything lines up perfectly and you hit both a ferengi and klingon ToD mission daily, you'll get 60k dil every 10 days. Combine that with 2k a day from contraband turnins and you can max out your refining daily without doing anything but admiralty. Realistically, you won't hit both ToD missions daily unless you spend way more time playing than is healthy, but even one a day still gives a decent dil income.

This is fairly mindless work if you have more than a couple of alts, so I recommend having another screen nearby to watch netflix so you don't go insane.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

g0del posted:

. Use shuttles as a poor man's skip, throwing them at non-ToD missions that will definitely fail just to get to the ToD missions. Save your high level admiralty cards for the actual tour of duty missions.

This is generally a good idea, but keep an eye on the dill rewards from random non-ToD missions. You can get 500 unrefined frequently, sometimes 1000, and rarely 2000. Early on you're probably still going to want to save your heavy hitting ships for the ToD missions, but once you get a fair number of admiralty cards you can really rake it in with the non-ToDs. Get a couple of heavy hitters on a 2000 mission plus a ship with a critical multiplier and you can get some serious bank.

Lagomorphic
Apr 21, 2008

AKA: Orthonormal
My big tip for admiralty is to invest in T1 ships and shuttles. Especially the shuttles you can buy for 30k EC. They have an extremely short maintenance time so you can just send them at all of the stupid assignments that have crazy high stat requirements or crap rewards to clear them from the list and keep turning up the ToDs/dil payments and just send them right pout again at the next stupid one once they're done failing the mission. They're basically infinite use pass tokens.

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

g0del posted:

First off, you don't need different boffs for cannon skills - you can teach the cannon skills to your current boffs.

As for admiralty, other people have covered most of the tips, but here's a few more. The first admiralty mission you do daily in each campaign gives bonus XP, so when you're leveling the admiralty campaigns, always run at least one mission in each every day. After that, you want to focus on the klingon and ferengi campaigns, because finishing the 10th tour of duty mission in each gives you 30k dil. Use shuttles as a poor man's skip, throwing them at non-ToD missions that will definitely fail just to get to the ToD missions. Save your high level admiralty cards for the actual tour of duty missions.

If everything lines up perfectly and you hit both a ferengi and klingon ToD mission daily, you'll get 60k dil every 10 days. Combine that with 2k a day from contraband turnins and you can max out your refining daily without doing anything but admiralty. Realistically, you won't hit both ToD missions daily unless you spend way more time playing than is healthy, but even one a day still gives a decent dil income.

This is fairly mindless work if you have more than a couple of alts, so I recommend having another screen nearby to watch netflix so you don't go insane.

Ah see, I'd put the skills onto different boffs because I've been switching between the two ships. But the T'Pau feels really fragile.

And it's good to know i can dump things like my T0 and T1 ships from my docks and buy yet more shuttles.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Zotix posted:

You're correct. That being said once you get an efficient multiple character dil farming operation up and running you can get a surprising amount of refined dilithium/zen per day until you stop from busywork overload. (if you stop)

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

Support B'tran has failed to crit 6x in a row, with ~33% chance to succeed. This is rough.

greasythepirate
Aug 13, 2016
https://twitter.com/thomasthecat/status/1098102737487552512

https://www.reddit.com/r/sto/comments/asnjvn/the_phrase_lazy_devs_infuriates_me_people_who_use/

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Huh. Maybe they have a point. Maybe these devs really are working hard.

Ok, how about "unskilled," "incompetent," or just plain "bad."

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

I won't judge the current team too harshly, it's entirely likely they're just too few, too time-starved, and saddled with the most horrific undocumented codebase.

The game probably needs a few years with five times the developers Cryptic will give it to disentangle the engine.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

MikeJF posted:

I won't judge the current team too harshly, it's entirely likely they're just too few, too time-starved, and saddled with the most horrific undocumented codebase.

The game probably needs a few years with five times the developers Cryptic will give it to disentangle the engine.

And getting orders from CBS that have nothing to do with their current plans.

Supposedly they had to drop the entire planned second half of ViL because CBS ordered Cryptic to make it All Discovery All The Time.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
Developer effort is focused on the upcoming MTG MMO, to my anecdotal understanding.

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

I think I would say to my daughters if they were to ask me this question... A shitpost is the greatest gift that you can give someone, the ultimate gift of giving and don't give it to someone lightly, that's what I would say.

Cyrano4747 posted:

Huh. Maybe they have a point. Maybe these devs really are working hard.

Ok, how about "unskilled," "incompetent," or just plain "bad."

None of those apply to Thomas. His ship designs are never anything short of amazing.

bij
Feb 24, 2007

Hector Ortiz does most of the cool non-Federation designs, the artists aren't the problem at Cryptic.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Wait, there have been cool designs recently? That's news to me.

The Hur'q had a kinda neat aesthetic, but the Disco Klingon ships are godawful and the Disco Fed ships are incredibly boring.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

MikeJF posted:

yeah they have a shitload of technical debt

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel

Cythereal posted:

Wait, there have been cool designs recently? That's news to me.

The Hur'q had a kinda neat aesthetic, but the Disco Klingon ships are godawful and the Disco Fed ships are incredibly boring.

:wrong:

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel

Coq au Nandos posted:

None of those apply to Thomas. His ship designs are never anything short of amazing.

Yeah he's by far the most talented person at their company.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Disco Klank ships are abstract modern art with engines. That's fine, but that's not remotely Klingon.

Klingon warships are drab, functional, and brutalist. They are warships, nothing more or less.