Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

Wild EEPROM posted:

dedicated film scanner (plustek, coolscan, etc)

alternately a flatbed (epson v800 for example)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
There any advantages to using a dedicated film scanner over a flatbed? The latter seems more flexible, but I dunno if the former is more streamlined or something.

Helen Highwater
Feb 19, 2014

And furthermore
Grimey Drawer

CodfishCartographer posted:

There any advantages to using a dedicated film scanner over a flatbed? The latter seems more flexible, but I dunno if the former is more streamlined or something.

Flatbeds are not great for 35mm and smaller formats. Medium and large format stuff in a flatbed is fine. A dedicated film scanner will give much better results but mostly they don't handle different formats at all.

Also, most dedicated film scanners have an automatic film feed, so you just load the whole roll in at once. Flatbeds need you to load in a few frames at a time depending on the format - typically 12 35mm frames (in 2 strips of 6) or 3 6x6 MF frames and so on.

A flatbed will handle 35mm and it will be fine for web use, but you probably won't want to print from those scans.

TheLastManStanding
Jan 14, 2008
Mash Buttons!
Dedicated tend to be faster with better quality, but they only do 35mm. Flatbeds can handle 120 film (and 4x5 if you get the 800), are cheaper, and the quality is good enough, but they are slow as poo poo. There are also camera attachments for using your dslr to scan; this is the fastest and cheapest method if you ignore the cost of the dslr and a good macro lens, takes a lot of fiddling but the results are good.

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)
I DSLR scan. Yeah, it was a bit of a pain to sort out, but I was able to do it on the cheap (like less than ten bucks as I already had the major components on hand) and now that I’ve got my setup figured out the process isn’t bad at all.

I’ve read that DSLR capture yields better results than flatbed scanning, but I’ve never seen or done an actual comparison.

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

President Beep posted:

I DSLR scan. Yeah, it was a bit of a pain to sort out, but I was able to do it on the cheap (like less than ten bucks as I already had the major components on hand) and now that I’ve got my setup figured out the process isn’t bad at all.

I’ve read that DSLR capture yields better results than flatbed scanning, but I’ve never seen or done an actual comparison.

I'd like to learn more about this. Did you build your own rig? What were the bits that needed to be sorted out?

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)

joat mon posted:

I'd like to learn more about this. Did you build your own rig? What were the bits that needed to be sorted out?

I’ll post some pics later.

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

Not sure if this is the best thread to ask in, but is there a way to take the date/time info stored in the photo and put the date/timestamp onto the photo?

I take inspection photos on my phone for work, and they get uploaded to Google photos, and I pull them down from there. We want to start using date/time stamps but as far as I can see I can't turn that on on my phone camera.

Tl:dr is there a program (windows) that I can use to apply date/time info to photos?

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

The Slack Lagoon posted:

Not sure if this is the best thread to ask in, but is there a way to take the date/time info stored in the photo and put the date/timestamp onto the photo?

I take inspection photos on my phone for work, and they get uploaded to Google photos, and I pull them down from there. We want to start using date/time stamps but as far as I can see I can't turn that on on my phone camera.

Tl:dr is there a program (windows) that I can use to apply date/time info to photos?

There are dozens of apps that do that. (geotags too) I searched "put time date stamp on pictures". I don't have any recommendations, though.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

The lighting thread is sadly archived, so thought I'd post a few things in here rather than filling the gear thread up with stuff.

First up - I'm seeing a local selling a Nikon SB80 which I remember was always a solid go-to flash. Looks in used but decent condition for $60. Sound like a reasonable pickup? It won't TTL with my camera but I don't care about that. I have a Yongnuo 460 I'd pair it with, is there much of an issue of color balancing between two brands when it comes to HSF?

Also curious as to what people think are currently the go to strobes for people moving off HSF now. I remember when it was all Alienbees but it looks like with PCB expanding their range to the Digibees and the Einsteins, plus a whole bunch of other brands like Godox making a stab at the reasonable quality but low budget market, I'd be intrigued what people liked. It's not something I'm likely to invest in yet/maybe ever, but it's always good to know what's out there and what the consensus is.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

President Beep posted:

Been considering doing this, but the only digital camera I've got is an em10ii, not sure if that'd be worth it over a scanner. When I've looked online for others using a m43 camera, it seems most people use the high-res shot mode of other olympus cameras, but mine hasn't got that so I'm a bit SOL on that front, and not sure if the quality would be worthwhile otherwise. Feels a little silly to shoot on medium format if i'm just going to then convert it over to m43, heh.

TheLastManStanding
Jan 14, 2008
Mash Buttons!

The Slack Lagoon posted:

IrfanView can do this. It's in File>Batch_Conversion. Under conversion settings click Advanced>Add_Overlay_Text>Settings>Append_Exif_Date/Time.

dakana
Aug 28, 2006
So I packed up my Salvador Dali print of two blindfolded dental hygienists trying to make a circle on an Etch-a-Sketch and headed for California.

xzzy posted:

If I'm shipping off tifs for printing, is there any value to setting the DPI in photoshop and scaling the image to the desired print size, or just send the full size export?

I'm pretty new to printing and I did a couple proofs last week, they look good enough for the wall but it feels like I lost some sharpness over what I see on the monitor. Not sure if that's just the limit of printing or if I can mitigate it a bit by not making them resize for me.

You might reach out to the lab to ask what their preferred format is. The resizing algorithm used can affect the look of the photo, for sure, so it might be worth it to find out what DPI their printers work at so you can do the resizing yourself.

Usually I consider anything above 300 to be over the limit of what we can perceive, but I have literally 0 evidence to base that off of.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
Magazines are generally printed at 300 DPI, if it's good enough for Vanity Fair it's probably good enough for you.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

As a rule, 300DPI is standard for printing and 72DPI is standard for web. If you don't set it properly your image will look pixellated when printed.

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

President Beep posted:

I’ll post some pics later.

Behold! My jankety (yet workabke) DSLR film scanning setup!

Canon 7D with a 50mm f/1.8 mated to a 21mm macro extension tube. Settings are f/8, ISO 100, and a two second shutter delay. For medium format the setup is similar, but with my 18-55 kit lens and no macro rings—seems easier to set up.

Small flat piece if glass for holding negatives down. A film carrier that you might use for other scanning techniques can work too.

This is really the important bit. Two pieces of 6x4 glass from the hardware store, glued together, with four little feet made from doubled up film canister caps. I set this on top of my ipad, which I use as a lightbox by displaying a white image. I need the elevated glass surface to move the field of focus away from the tablet’s surface, otherwise you’ll see the screen’s pixels in your “scan”. I’ve foind that this gets me the minimum amount of distance necessary. With only one level of canister caps, I could still make out the ipad pixels. I assume this is something you don’t need to worry about with a for real lightbox.

Here’s what it looks like on screen. Once I’m al set up, I zoom in on the negative and manually focus, then shoot.

As I mentioned, I’ve never compared this technique to using an actual scanner, but the results seem okay with me, even using a ten year old crop sensor camera with relatively low (18mp) resolution.

Here’s one of my recent results. HP5+, 35mm.

This may sound like a pain in the rear end, but the only stuff I didn’t have on hand already was the glass, and for those three pieces I paid less than five bucks at the local hardware store. After I figured out what I was doing, more or less, it turned out to be a decent experience. It’s cheap, it’s fast, and it doesn’t take up much room at all. :toot:

fake edit: When doing the actual capture, especially when using the top glass as opposed to a film carrier, I make sure the room is pretty dark. Reflections abound otherwise.

Sauer
Sep 13, 2005

Socialize Everything!
That's pretty much how I used to do it before I got a Nikon ES-2 negative holder doohicky and a flash as the light source. Stopped using a tripod because my apartment building vibrates for some reason and it was really noticeable. Epson flatbed scanner for 120 film which works pretty well.

Cut out a film gate from a cereal box or black construction paper or something and layer it over the frame before shooting. Eliminates any light spill and subsequent flaring.

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

Sauer posted:

Cut out a film gate from a cereal box or black construction paper or something and layer it over the frame before shooting. Eliminates any light spill and subsequent flaring.

Ah, yeah. Good suggestion. I do have issues with my glass platform sliding around on the tablet. I bet I could make a gate that not only helps prevent flare, but also keeps the platform in place.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

My interpretation to this is you need to buy a 3d printer to make such a rig.

Sauer
Sep 13, 2005

Socialize Everything!
Could also get an old 35mm negative carrier if you want something with some noticeable gravity to it and a perfectly sized hole that will keep the frame you're shooting flat.

I told my 3D printer to create something that would make my photographs good but it just keeps extruding piss.

Sauer fucked around with this message at 02:18 on Feb 13, 2019

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

TheLastManStanding posted:

IrfanView can do this. It's in File>Batch_Conversion. Under conversion settings click Advanced>Add_Overlay_Text>Settings>Append_Exif_Date/Time.

This is exactly what I was looking for, thank you.

Xabi
Jan 21, 2006

Inventor of the Marmite pasty

joat mon posted:

This popped up on my Youtube the other day. Looks like a nice and simple setup:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-aThAi4jan8

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.

Babysitter Super Sleuth posted:

72DPI is standard for web.
DPI for the web doesn't make sense. It's this common misunderstanding that persists. Files (jpg/tiff/etc) have a DPI value stored but it's just a integer included in the metadata. DPI only becomes something when it's printed (in which case DPI = is image resolution divided by print size) or displayed (when it's DPI = image resolution divided by physical screen size).

On top of this, there's the dots per inch vs pixels per inch issue terminology issue.

dakana
Aug 28, 2006
So I packed up my Salvador Dali print of two blindfolded dental hygienists trying to make a circle on an Etch-a-Sketch and headed for California.

Pablo Bluth posted:

DPI for the web doesn't make sense. It's this common misunderstanding that persists. Files (jpg/tiff/etc) have a DPI value stored but it's just a integer included in the metadata. DPI only becomes something when it's printed (in which case DPI = is image resolution divided by print size) or displayed (when it's DPI = image resolution divided by physical screen size).

On top of this, there's the dots per inch vs pixels per inch issue terminology issue.

I had a graphic designer my work was contracted with who could not understand this issue. She was resizing images in a way that'd leave the text unreadable when it got small, and I kept asking her to fix it. She kept asking what DPI she should be using, and I kept explaining that since she was sending me digital graphics made for the website that DPI had no bearing on the image whatsoever. She kept insisting it was DPI related. I even sent her the Myth of DPI article.

I had her send me her artwork in vector format and then resized it myself so that the text was clear. She asked what DPI I used. I tried to explain it wasn't an issue of DPI, but she finally asked me to send her my resized file so she could "find out what DPI I used."

I sent her my artwork in PNG format. She said when she opened it up in Corel to check it, it was 300DPI, so that's what she'd use and the issue would be fixed.

The PNG format literally has no way to store DPI information. Her program just defaults to it, so that's what popped up when she "checked the DPI" of the file. Her art continued to have unreadable text. I continued to be exhausted because using her services wasn't my decision.

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

People still use Corel???

dakana
Aug 28, 2006
She sure did. Toward the end I started wondering if she even had any options for the resizing algorithm on export or if she needed to do it with a different program to a larger PDF export or something.

Hello Spaceman
Jan 18, 2005

hop, skip, and jumpgate
I would like to buy a colour-accurate monitor for post-processing my photos. My budget is about €500 (no more than €600ish). Are there any recommendations for a good 27-incher (ideally 4K) with decent brightness?

A bonus would be something that has USB C and supports HDR.

This is not for pro work, so I guess a lack of AdobeRGB support won’t be a deal-breaker.

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

You will find no one to help you here. Beth DuClare has been dissected and placed in cryonic storage.

I'm pretty happy with my refurb BenQ PD3200, so I assume the 27" version would be nice as well. Don't think it supports HDR and USB-C, but has 100% sRGB.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

The LG 27UK650 claims "99% srgb". It does HDR10 but has no usb ports.

I bought it recently and it's such a massive upgrade over my old screen I had to reprocess pretty much every photo. It also got me to actually start printing photos because (along with a calibration) it made me have a little more trust in what I was seeing on screen.

I think BenQ has a better reputation for pure color work though. I went with the LG because it also needs to be used for games, it seemed like the best option that satisfied both.

Porfiriato
Jan 4, 2016

The 27UK850 is the exact same monitor but with usb-c ports as well.

ReverendHammer
Feb 12, 2003

BARTHOLOMEW THEODOSUS IS NOT AMUSED

The Rat posted:

I'm pretty happy with my refurb BenQ PD3200, so I assume the 27" version would be nice as well. Don't think it supports HDR and USB-C, but has 100% sRGB.

I have the PD2700 and I really like it.

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

It's all a matter of perspective...
Grimey Drawer
Ok, I'm definitely going to reveal my ignorance here, but what's the practical difference between the PD2700 and the BenQ SW271? I'm looking to get more seriously into printing this spring. A paper rep I talked to was really pushing the sw271 but I can't remember what made it so much better than the less expensive models.

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

BetterLekNextTime posted:

Ok, I'm definitely going to reveal my ignorance here

Please stop muscling in on my posting style!

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

You will find no one to help you here. Beth DuClare has been dissected and placed in cryonic storage.

Ok, I'm definitely going to reveal my ignorance here, but what's the practical difference between the PD2700 and the BenQ SW271? I'm looking to get more seriously into printing this spring. A paper rep I talked to was really pushing the sw271 but I can't remember what made it so much better than the less expensive models.

Looks like more aRGB coverage, 99% on the SW vs 73% on the PD.

Hello Spaceman
Jan 18, 2005

hop, skip, and jumpgate
Thanks for the recommendations. I was hoping there would be one that comes universally recommended, but in my research I’ve seen that getting everything I wanted (and foregoing other compromises) means basically wishfully doubling my budget to get something like the BenQ SW271...

... which I can now advise on:
The SW271 has a true 10-bit panel with a 14-bit 3D look-up table for accurate colour-matching, versus an 8-bit+FRC (frame rate control, a dithering technology) panel in the PD2700U (for UHD; there’s also a PD2700Q, which is a QHD panel - 2650x1440). This endows the 271 with 100% sRGB coverage and also 99% AdobeRGB support.

The SW271 is aimed at professionals in studios who need to do colour-matching with print. It also provides the best value in its class (in the prices I’ve seen) since the next step up is something like the Dell UP2718Q for like another $300.

If you’re in budget land, like me, the PD2700U might be a good bet (if you can stand not having The Best Specs). If you need very good AdobeRGB support on a budget, the BenQ SW2700 gets you there. However, it is QHD only and lacks some newer technologies like HDR.

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

Try and get a refurb from the BenQ outlet site if you can. My PD3200U was $547 shipped, so that saved $150ish over the regular price. I have noticed no deficiencies either.

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

It's all a matter of perspective...
Grimey Drawer
Thanks for the replies and the tip on the refurb monitors! I haven't done enough color work and printing to know what I'm gaining/losing from a workflow with the higher end vs. lower end monitors, but that at least lays out the salient differences.

Xabi
Jan 21, 2006

Inventor of the Marmite pasty
I just discovered a tiny scratch on the front element of one of my lenses. It’s hardly visible and I can’t feel it, so I guess it’s a tiny one* (would it be worse if I could feel the scratch with my nail, in other words if the scratch was “deeper”?) Should I be worried about anything other than possibly the resell value?

* it seems like only the coating is scratched, not the glass itself, possibly by a filter

Xabi fucked around with this message at 19:47 on Feb 20, 2019

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

No.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

Xabi posted:

I just discovered a tiny scratch on the front element of one of my lenses. It’s hardly visible and I can’t feel it, so I guess it’s a tiny one* (would it be worse if I could feel the scratch with my nail, in other words if the scratch was “deeper”?) Should I be worried about anything other than possibly the resell value?

* it seems like only the coating is scratched, not the glass itself, possibly by a filter

It’s probably fine. Likely the only time it’ll ever effect photos is during heavy glare, and even then you’re probably good. I remember someone linking a blog post about how even lenses that look like they’re practically shattered can still take decent photos.