Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

that is a real rough pitch for an article tho

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

are all the articles about the same boy

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Some Guy TT posted:

are all the articles about the same boy

no it’s all different people apparently the others aren’t out yet

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

Hot take I agree that framing a "middle class" white guy as the quintessential American boy is uh

Not chill

I only except average american thinking pieces if they live within 10 square miles of Wright County, Missouri, the population mean of the united states est. year 2018

quote:

As of the census[12] of 2000, there were 17,955 people, 7,081 households, and 5,020 families residing in the county. The population density was 26 people per square mile (10/km²). There were 7,957 housing units at an average density of 12 per square mile (4/km²). The racial makeup of the county was 97.61% White, 0.28% Black or African American, 0.66% Native American, 0.14% Asian, 0.01% Pacific Islander, 0.27% from other races, and 1.04% from two or more races. Approximately 0.77% of the population were Hispanic or Latino of any race.

The median income for a household in the county was $30,685, and the median income for a family was $37,139. Males had a median income of $24,876 versus $17,608 for females. The per capita income for the county was $16,319. About 17.30% of families and 21.70% of the population were below the poverty line, including 29.10% of those under age 18 and 17.60% of those age 65 or over.

Religion
According to the Association of Religion Data Archives County Membership Report (2000), Wright County is a part of the Bible Belt with evangelical Protestantism being the majority religion. The most predominant denominations among residents in Wright County who adhere to a religion are Southern Baptists (49.92%), National Association of Free Will Baptists (19.84%), and Pentecostals (7.55%).

sounds like a great place

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

thats what i thought which makes this seem like a weird albeit predictable thing to get mad about that could have been solved by just doing one of the other ones first

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
I feel bad for white people living under the crushing weight of self hate.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
If this is the article I recall reading a day or two ago, it's a goldmine unto itself - cringe-inducingly privileged and whining.

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"

Taintrunner posted:

esquire is running a series of articles about kids growing up in america and the issues they're facing, as they've done in the past, the first one dropped and now woke twitter is demanding to speak to the manager

https://twitter.com/harikondabolu/status/1095389075450802181?s=21

This is a fantastic snapshot of life in America in nineteen fifty---wait, this was published in 2019?!?

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Boomers are literally incapable of absorbing any new information. It's questionable whether they can be called sentient at this point.

Cyberpunkey Monkey
Jun 23, 2003

by Nyc_Tattoo
yeah but who else reads mainstream print magazines in 2019?

let the dementia patients feel okay, okay?

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

I think this thread had that deleted post bug, testing.

ed: there we go.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

i just noticed that cover is also promising articles about the shocking relationship between power and sex and also a look at the harvey weinstein defense strategy whos their target audience again

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

Hot take I agree that framing a "middle class" white guy as the quintessential American boy is uh

Not chill

Hotter take: Framing it as someone other than a middle class white guy is simply hiding the fact we're a patriarchal, white supremacist country.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
I grew up a white middle class male and now I am basically a maoist

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Moridin920 posted:

I grew up a white middle class male and now I am basically a maoist

In socially empty suburban hell there's basically nothing to do BUT radicalise one way or another.

It seems to be specifically upper class white males who specifically glom onto the establishment and hope to join the chattering class as servants and entertainers of the wealthy, along with a careful allotment of wealthy nonwhites.

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

Cyberpunkey Monkey posted:

yeah but who else reads mainstream print magazines in 2019?

let the dementia patients feel okay, okay?

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

Not chill

That's dumb, 'American Boy' is like the most banal thing here.

Algund Eenboom
May 4, 2014

https://twitter.com/IDF/status/15489113659

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

Bogus Adventure posted:

This is a fantastic snapshot of life in America in nineteen fifty---wait, this was published in 2019?!?

The wildest part of that article is that the kid being profiled knows that he's boring and unremarkable, something the writer never figures out.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!
lmao https://twitter.com/huffpostent/status/1097916415435247616?s=21

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
Black panther better win all the awards or else.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

will there be a safety pin box for every white award winner

bell jar
Feb 25, 2009

https://twitter.com/Netflix_CA/status/1095715650109140993

https://twitter.com/Netflix_CA/status/1097712435484475393

Dr. Killjoy
Oct 9, 2012

:thunk::mason::brainworms::tinfoil::thunkher:
didn’t the “the gays” start out as a 30 Rock joke about the condescending attitude of entertainment figures to gay audiences or fans?

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
https://twitter.com/CBSNews/status/1097902340554846208

#metoo hitting it out of the park

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Not sure how vandalism counts as a brand

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
yeah brands suck and vandalism rules so vandalism does not belong here

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
#metoo is a brand :colbert:

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Shaocaholica posted:

#metoo is a brand :colbert:

Ah yes. The rape survivor brand.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
I'm okay with defacing the assault statue

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
also the reason somebody vandalized that particular statue is presumably because the nurse in that iconic photo was basically just grabbed at random by a passing sailor without warning

it's effective vandalism that's 100% on-message

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

Heath posted:

I'm okay with defacing the assault statue

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Its cool that only 4 days after people claiming that consent was a broken liberal concept, we have someone ready to claim sexual assault survivors sharing their stories is woke capitalism

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
You don't have to be a survivor to support metoo you exclusionist.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

OH boy time for another wearying round of feigned outrage jokes from the most nauseating people on the forums

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Control Volume posted:

Its cool that only 4 days after people claiming that consent was a broken liberal concept, we have someone ready to claim sexual assault survivors sharing their stories is woke capitalism

What the gently caress point are you trying to make, this is basically word salad

Dr. Killjoy
Oct 9, 2012

:thunk::mason::brainworms::tinfoil::thunkher:
there is a shoe brand me too that has actually been around since 1996. they kinda had to use #metoo as a marketing pivot, either cynically (this is the correct option) or nobly (lmao sure).

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

Control Volume posted:

OH boy time for another wearying round of feigned outrage jokes from the most nauseating people on the forums

Go have a beer and watch your favorite Let's Play, and chill

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Crane Fist posted:

What the gently caress point are you trying to make, this is basically word salad

You were there for the consent argument and now youve got a guy saying #metoo is a woke brand. Come on man, this isnt rocket science

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bell jar
Feb 25, 2009

The guy in the statue died the other day