Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Reene
Aug 26, 2005

:justpost:

MonsterEnvy posted:

Why do people keep saying this, when it's been explicitly stated earlier in the thread that the money WotC would be getting from the bundle is going to RAINN

They didn't say that. They said they "support" the bundle that DMG was already doing. DMG is not part of WotC.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

neonchameleon
Nov 14, 2012

MonsterEnvy posted:

Why do people keep saying this, when it's been explicitly stated earlier in the thread that the money WotC would be getting from the bundle is going to RAINN

As far as I can tell almost none of the products in that bundle were created by WotC - so the amount of money they are missing out on is, I think, fairly trivial.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Sage Genesis posted:

Because that's just speculation on our part and WotC didn't actually say they would in that statement of theirs? Unless I missed some tweet from a WotC employee or something, they basically implied that they would donate without actually saying anything of the sort.

Reene posted:

They didn't say that. They said they "support" the bundle that DMG was already doing. DMG is not part of WotC.

One BookShelf stated that WotC is donating the cut they get on DMG products for the Bundles.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

neonchameleon posted:

As far as I can tell almost none of the products in that bundle were created by WotC - so the amount of money they are missing out on is, I think, fairly trivial.

20% by my reconciliation. So yeah fairly trivial.

MollyMetroid
Jan 20, 2004

Trout Clan Daimyo
Yes, but DMG was already doing that bundle so literally all they're doing is going "oh hey we get a cut of this thing that was already happening eh let's just drop that cut into the bucket of goodwill instead of actually taking any loving initiative of our own to do better.

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

"We shall graciously draw attention to this already extant thing and let it continue to be so. [pause] That is all."

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

MollyMetroid posted:

Yes, but DMG was already doing that bundle so literally all they're doing is going "oh hey we get a cut of this thing that was already happening eh let's just drop that cut into the bucket of goodwill instead of actually taking any loving initiative of our own to do better.

Yeah, they are still giving their cut, that was all my point was. It's misinformation to state they aren't.

This bundle was already going to happen prior to the Zak S scandal. It probably would have been better for Wizards to say in the message "Relating to this we and OneBookShelf are already doing a bundle on some DMG products and all proceeds are being donated to RAINN, and now is good time to support it." I feel saying something like that would have made things more clear.

MonsterEnvy fucked around with this message at 02:37 on Feb 20, 2019

MollyMetroid
Jan 20, 2004

Trout Clan Daimyo
How's the koolaid taste

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

MonsterEnvy posted:

One BookShelf stated that WotC is donating the cut they get on DMG products for the Bundles.

You, for whom multiple first-party sources were not sufficient evidence when WotC were supporting and enabling abuse, are suddenly prepared to believe a single third-party source that claims that they will make a pittance of a donation.

Colour me loving shocked.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

MollyMetroid posted:

How's the koolaid taste

I just don't like Misinformation being spread.

Elector_Nerdlingen posted:

You, for whom multiple first-party sources were not sufficient evidence when WotC were supporting and enabling abuse, are suddenly prepared to believe a single third-party source that claims that they will make a pittance of a donation.

Colour me loving shocked.
OneBookShelf owns the DMG.

MonsterEnvy fucked around with this message at 02:46 on Feb 20, 2019

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

MonsterEnvy posted:

Except when it's you spreading it, claiming Mearls did nothing wrong.

MonsterEnvy posted:

OneBookShelf owns the DMG.

And?

Elector_Nerdlingen fucked around with this message at 02:48 on Feb 20, 2019

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

MonsterEnvy posted:

What are your thoughts on due process, by chance.

MollyMetroid
Jan 20, 2004

Trout Clan Daimyo
you know that no matter how much you stan for mearls and wotc nobody's going to suck you off for it right

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Wait so they are gonna charge the same card prices as in the US? Because drat, this is legit going to finish off the physical MTG scene here that has been on decline for a decade already... (Seriously, I think the cons I go barely have space for those at this point)

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Except when it's you spreading it, claiming Mearls did nothing wrong.

I explicitly stated he did do wrong. Namely that he was an idiot, both with how he handled the Zak S thing 5 years ago and how he handled his response here. An apology should have been included by him, for not believing the allegations.

Kai Tave posted:

What are your thoughts on due process, by chance.

That it should happen and is a good thing. People should get the benefit of the doubt.

MollyMetroid posted:

you know that no matter how much you stan for mearls and wotc nobody's going to suck you off for it right

I don't care.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

Captain Rufus posted:

Iirc most of Hasbro's problems are more stockholder related because modern Capitalism is a goddamn disease. They apparently sort of told lies when Tru got turbofucked by Bain and that's like bad n poo poo. (The fact that stockholders are lovely and are ruining Capitalism can probably be ignored here in this case..)

Plus the last Bay TF movie did not exactly light the world on fire, Star Wars is in rear end shape thanks to Disney being clueless, and toys in general losing out to Smart Device Pay to Win poo poo with the kiddies and yeah. Bad times for my favorite toy company/IP hoarder.

Stockholder profit expectations driving vulture capitalism are going to destroy everything we love.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Plutonis posted:

Because drat, this is legit going to finish off the physical MTG scene here that has been on decline for a decade already...

This statement is materially false.

Darwinism
Jan 6, 2008

MonsterEnvy posted:

I explicitly stated he did do wrong. Namely that he was an idiot, both with how he handled the Zak S thing 5 years ago and how he handled his response here. An apology should have been included by him, for not believing the allegations.

Please don't let Mearls off as 'just an idiot' when he actively assisted an abuser because that is beyond just a dumb loving move, it's an actively harmful move and trying to lessen that is a really lovely thing to do even if you do like D&D a whole lot

Or continue being a lovely person I guess

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Toshimo posted:

Plutonis is in like Brazil or something. His here is not North America or Western Europe, for sure.

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

MonsterEnvy posted:

People should get the benefit of the doubt.

The implied "...except victims" in this statement is deafening.

MonsterEnvy posted:

You spent 2014 to this week saying how Mearls did nothing wrong.

You need to apologise for vigorously defending the abuse enabler right up until it was far too obvious for you to claim "he didn't do anything", then you start saying "well maybe he did but he's just dumb" instead.

Or continue to be the disgusting toadying bootlicker that you've always shown yourself to be, I guess.

Elector_Nerdlingen fucked around with this message at 03:04 on Feb 20, 2019

Arthil
Feb 17, 2012

A Beard of Constant Sorrow
Everyone having fun in the dogpile yet? loving assholes.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
So apparently Christina Vee (big time voice actress) made a generic well wisher comment to the tweet by WotC about Zak and I had made her aware of the whole poo poo spiral that happened in 2014 with Mearls' handling of the initial accusations. Some time between my last reply to her and this comment, she basically deleted her own comment and Zak blocked me because I linked one of his tweets as part of the explanation.

https://twitter.com/CristinaVee/status/1097960421305143297
https://twitter.com/FacticalTail/status/1097992617395138560
(yes I come off as a dick in this)

So lmao. Zak is still in full damage control mode, but at least making sure as many people know that Mearls isn't exactly the purest actor in all this to even the most Z-list geek celeb is important.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Toshimo posted:

WotC has been badly mismanaging their south american mtg stuff since like forever. Plutonis is right.

MollyMetroid
Jan 20, 2004

Trout Clan Daimyo
Arthil that's a very interesting choice you've made there do you want to maybe familiarize yourself with the participants and their particular arguments before you throw yourself into the fray because that's kind of not a good look to hook your loving wagon to

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

Arthil posted:

Everyone having fun in the dogpile yet? loving assholes.

The abuse apologist is called out again, and here you are to defend him again.

You're part of the problem.

MollyMetroid
Jan 20, 2004

Trout Clan Daimyo
See?

Bedlamdan
Apr 25, 2008
I don't know what Arthil's big deal is anyway, dogpiling is pretty par for the course.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Plutonis posted:

Wait so they are gonna charge the same card prices as in the US? Because drat, this is legit going to finish off the physical MTG scene here that has been on decline for a decade already... (Seriously, I think the cons I go barely have space for those at this point)

It's 100% unclear at this point, I think with what's gonna happen to pricing. It's probably likely that prices will go down in certain countries, but it sounds like WotC is gonna keep their hands off of suggested MSRP at this point. This probably also saves them headaches about having to argue with retailers about trying to maintain a particular MSRP and essentially let them try and figure out what margin they want to be competitive. Retailers are going to be buying packs and stuff at the same price, but allowing them to pick their own price point without a suggested MSRP is probably just so they don't have to deal with it as much any more.

Arthil
Feb 17, 2012

A Beard of Constant Sorrow

You all happily baited him into an entirely different topic than was being discussed. I love the pseudo-threatening tone both of you try to take by the way.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

The implied "...except victims" in this statement is deafening.

You spent 2014 to this week saying how Mearls did nothing wrong.

You need to apologise for vigorously defending the abuse enabler right up until it was far too obvious for you to claim "he didn't do anything", then you start saying "well maybe he did but he's just dumb" instead.

Or continue to be the disgusting toadying bootlicker that you've always shown yourself to be, I guess.

Even years back I explicitly stated that him not believing people about Zak S and telling him about his harassment accusations was wrong. My only constant has been that malice was not behind his decision then. As it does not fit with pretty much everything about his character.

After meeting the guy in person I became pretty certain it was an act of incompetence, not malice. He should apologize for not believing people about Zak.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
Speaking of Brazil:
X Wing second edition came out in September of last year. Brazil was supposed to get a ~December release of the local translation, plus all the wave 2 and 3 Legion stuff.
The ship carrying all that product from China to Brazil had a "weather related accident" and had 7 containers fall off the ship. One of these containers contained all of that product.

https://www.galapagosjogos.com.br/blogs/14/posts/comunicado-1?fbclid=IwAR1V7vvMAeTjCVYat9r5G9fOXZ3BN-acvVg76XtnFr2DxRJ2Ar2JvEVlbSE

So, knowing the Fantasy Flight reprint timelines it's going to take FOREVER to get it to Brazil.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Arivia posted:

Plutonis is in like Brazil or something. His here is not North America or Western Europe, for sure.

In Brazil, yeah. I think at this point YGO and Pokémon have a bigger reach than MTG here now considering how their stuff is sold on way more stores and magazine stands but on the other hand, Arena has a hefty chunk of people. The price issue is going to be a real loving hanger considering the average purchasing power has been stale for the last few years and the dollar is still overvalued compared to our currency.

Xelkelvos posted:

It's 100% unclear at this point, I think with what's gonna happen to pricing. It's probably likely that prices will go down in certain countries, but it sounds like WotC is gonna keep their hands off of suggested MSRP at this point. This probably also saves them headaches about having to argue with retailers about trying to maintain a particular MSRP and essentially let them try and figure out what margin they want to be competitive. Retailers are going to be buying packs and stuff at the same price, but allowing them to pick their own price point without a suggested MSRP is probably just so they don't have to deal with it as much any more.

Ah, so I guess it depends on whether Devir manages to gently caress up?

Plutonis fucked around with this message at 03:29 on Feb 20, 2019

Elephant Parade
Jan 20, 2018

The WotC statement in no way implies that WotC is donating money to RAINN. Yes, it connects them to a charitable effort without actually contributing to that effort beyond signal boosting, and considering the situation they really ought to contribute, but the statement doesn't actually imply that they're behind it. You can misread it that way, but—as disgusted as I am with WotC right now—it's not an obvious reading, nor is it intended to be one.

Gerund
Sep 12, 2007

He push a man

MonsterEnvy posted:

Even years back I explicitly stated that him not believing people about Zak S and telling him about his harassment accusations was wrong. My only constant has been that malice was not behind his decision then. As it does not fit with pretty much everything about his character.

After meeting the guy in person I became pretty certain it was an act of incompetence, not malice. He should apologize for not believing people about Zak.

You realize first that your personal interpretation of a man you claim to have a personal relationship with is not a strong defense against nor a nice statement about yourself for his remarkably lovely and toxic behavior acting in alliance with an abuser, and secondly that he will never ever apologize because it would mean, if he is honest, be he would be fired and completely dismissed from the status symbol that makes people give him the time of day?

Darwinism
Jan 6, 2008

MonsterEnvy posted:

Could you explain to me which part of "he was nice to me socially" precludes him from being a bad person, thanks in advance

Also even if you inflicted harm accidentally you still inflicted harm, you are not innocent because you hurt someone out of stupidity. Jesus loving Christ I shouldn't have to say this to an adult.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Piece of poo poo, I am not an abuse apologist! The fact that you are using conjecture as fact is part of the reason I think you have no grounds to judge here. You never supplied first party info that would prove your points. And you are horribly manipulative, I was not even trying to talk about this topic until you retailed it here.

Elephant Parade
Jan 20, 2018

I don't think Mike Mearls's prior actions confirm him as a piece of poo poo, just someone with remarkably terrible judgement. His continued failure to acknowledge and apologize for his mistake, on the other hand, absolutely does.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Xelkelvos posted:

So lmao. Zak is still in full damage control mode, but at least making sure as many people know that Mearls isn't exactly the purest actor in all this to even the most Z-list geek celeb is important.

Yeah, when a lot of people think of D&D they think of Critical Role and Mercer specifically, who is (and one hopes will stay this way) not a jerk.

Thinking about it Vee like many voice actors is probably keeping tabs with the whole thing about one of the more popular voice actors being outed as a sex pest (which was a well-known secret for many years) so in a way it's good for folks who can maybe influence things to already be in a state of awareness.

Dawgstar fucked around with this message at 03:55 on Feb 20, 2019

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Elephant Parade posted:

I don't think Mike Mearls's prior actions confirm him as a piece of poo poo

They do though. It's not even "goon hyperbole," if someone forwards you concerns that someone is an abuser and you share that information with the person in question, including names, you are a huge piece of poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elephant Parade
Jan 20, 2018

Kai Tave posted:

They do though. It's not even "goon hyperbole," if someone forwards you concerns that someone is an abuser and you share that information with the person in question, including names, you are a huge piece of poo poo.
Oh yeah, I forgot that he forwarded the information to Zak. That crosses the line from ignorance to malice.